• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While I mostly enjoyed my time with the game, it is so unashamedly Ubisoft. Cluttered open world with collectables every five feet. And the writing is just really bad. It's like it was written by a high school student for other high school students.

Still, the combat is fun and the vaults were challenging enough.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
While I mostly enjoyed my time with the game, it is so unashamedly Ubisoft. Cluttered open world with collectables every five feet. And the writing is just really bad. It's like it was written by a high school student for other high school students.

I played the demo and couldn't get over the way the story is told and the lame jokes. The tone is a huge turn off.

RaphaBE

Sep 19, 2020
California
I played the demo and couldn't get over the way the story is told and the lame jokes. The tone is a huge turn off.
It's worth noting that, while the tone is similar in the full game, the amount of dialogue is drastically reduced. They crammed a lot of dialogue in the demo, which gives the impression that the gods never shut up. That isn't the case in the full game. That said, I greatly enjoy the lighthearted tone and, while it's not perfect, I feel the story is a pretty clever take on Greek mythology.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

I enjoy the jokes for the most part. I can't say I've laughed uproariously over any of them, but some have earned a chuckle. I enjoy the tone.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Love this game. Seriously it's one of the best Ubisoft games I've played in a very long time. I would be lying if I said it didn't have something to do with how great it looks in 4k/60 mode on PS5. I also bought it on Switch but honestly its really hard to go back to because of how much worse it runs. Also a big deal breaker is you can lose trophies by using the cloud save stuff.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018

having been utterly exhasuted by Valhalla (ive still not finished it) this is the very reason why I wont be getting this game anytime soon. I played the demo and that was enough for me to consider possibly purchasing it waaaaay down the line

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
That Switch Pro honestly can't come soon enough.
There just isn't enough horsepower for the Switch to keep up.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Tried out the demo yesterday. Looks nicer than I thought.

But that's about the only nice thing I can say about this.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Haven't seen a single instance of tearing in my 40+ hours with the PS5 version. With the XSX version, I can make it tear whenever I want.

Wow, interesting, I bought it on Series X (only received the PS5 recently) and didn't notice a thing, but at the same time, I had VRR activated. VRR is a blessing (that shouldn't overly compensate for dev issue though).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Felt awful in the hands based on the demo so I'm not shocked about these results 😸

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Finished this game last night. It was very good. It has small parts of Breath of the Wild, typical open world Ubusoft game.

The story was good as well. I liked it

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Gonna play the demo on my Series S, but I'll wait for it to be cheaper than £59.99 even if I like it.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I've completely ignored this game so far due to its unappealing, cheap sounding name alone, but will take a look.

At 15:05, when he talks about his hope for an enhanced Switch being in the works. Might be reading too much into it, though!
Fairly sure he's just commenting on the countless rumours.
Yeah, that's probably way more likely.
I imagine John reading this with a satisfied smirk on his face right now.

That Switch Pro honestly can't come soon enough.
There just isn't enough horsepower for the Switch to keep up.
Yes, we've reached a point where image quality, framerate or load times for Switch games, especially 3rd party ones, get in the way of having fun for me personally. I used to play Animal Crossing regularly, but it gets harder and harder to deal with the load times for every tiny thing, like entering and leaving buildings or just switching rooms in your own house. It feels like a 5 minutes session of Animal Crossing is made of 2 minutes staring at a black screen. I think booting up the game alone takes around 2 minutes. And yes, it's a slow paced game, but the 30fps are horrible to look at nevertheless.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you! These are my exact thoughts and I was surprised to see the almost unanimous praise it was getting online and in reviews.

I can't stand how every quest/objective feels like it has 3 layers of padding to get to what you actually want to do. But, like you say, the dungeons and combat are solid and fun, so maybe it didn't bother people as much as it irked me.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Does this support the Ubisoft cloud save thing? So you can play on the Switch on the go, and then sync that save to the XSX version? I know most modern Ubisoft games have such a feature, but since this sounds like it's best played portable on the Switch, that'd be a good thing to know.

I've been playing this on XSX. The HDR implementation is especially good. So far a few hours in, I'm enjoying it a good deal.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Does this support the Ubisoft cloud save thing? So you can play on the Switch on the go, and then sync that save to the XSX version? I know most modern Ubisoft games have such a feature, but since this sounds like it's best played portable on the Switch, that'd be a good thing to know.
Yes, it supports the Ubisoft cloud save feature, but saves need to be sent to (or grabbed from) the cloud manually. Additionally some people in this topic have said that trophies/achievements aren't retroactive, so if you do something on Switch that would have given you an achievement on XSX, then you don't get that achievement when you go back to XSX. That sounds like something that should be patchable, but right now anyone who cares about trophies or achievements should probably keep in mind that they don't play nice with cloud saves.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, interesting, I bought it on Series X (only received the PS5 recently) and didn't notice a thing, but at the same time, I had VRR activated. VRR is a blessing (that shouldn't overly compensate for dev issue though).
I could replicate the tearing In Valhalla on SX by doing the same vertical camera movement on my B7 OLED. Now I cant do it on my CX OLED with VRR enabled lol.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I just can't get over the shadows in this game.
Everything in shadow is way too dark, so much that it looks fake/unnatural. It's weird, it triggers uncanny valley heavenly for me, specially when you're standing in shadows.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
According to my very rough calculations, the game on Xbox One X is -around- 1800p at 30fps.