• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
200w.webp

The memories...

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
being able to swap assets with a button press makes this a better release than 360 Perfect Dark out the gate

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any particular reason why this hasn't gotten an official release on any platform

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Is there any particular reason why this hasn't gotten an official release on any platform

VideoGamer.com: From a gamer's point of view is amazing that it's not available.

NB: It's just what happens legally sometimes. Not necessarily with games, but you see it with music and films. Things get locked in this legal limbo. Even most of the parties involved, probably all the parties involved want to solve it. It's such a complex issue. It amazes me. I sort of sit on the periphery, but I know a few guys in the legal team. Why can't this happen? I want to play it and I want everyone else to play it. And they're like "well, there's this and this and this and that, and you have to have approval from them, and then there's artist approval, all the way up to probably Pierce Brosnan has to say it's all right for this". There's not enough hours in the day.

Jan 4, 2018
I just can't understand why some people decided to block the release of a $10 remaster like "no, people will never play it". Just why ??

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Licensing. It's split between three different parties now (I think?) and it;s just stalled constantly.

Microsoft own Rare. Nintendo own GoldenEye the game. Activision own(ed) the Bond license (when this was supposed to come out). They'd all need to sign off on it. I think it all fell apart at the final hurdle. Thus why the remaster is all but done but never released.

This stream is great! Loving it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
VideoGamer.com: From a gamer's point of view is amazing that it's not available.

NB: It's just what happens legally sometimes. Not necessarily with games, but you see it with music and films. Things get locked in this legal limbo. Even most of the parties involved, probably all the parties involved want to solve it. It's such a complex issue. It amazes me. I sort of sit on the periphery, but I know a few guys in the legal team. Why can't this happen? I want to play it and I want everyone else to play it. And they're like "well, there's this and this and this and that, and you have to have approval from them, and then there's artist approval, all the way up to probably Pierce Brosnan has to say it's all right for this". There's not enough hours in the day.
Licensing. It's split between three different parties now (I think?) and it;s just stalled constantly.

Microsoft own Rare. Nintendo own GoldenEye the game. Activision own(ed) the Bond license (when this was supposed to come out). They'd all need to sign off on it. I think it all fell apart at the final hurdle. Thus why the remaster is all but done but never released.

This stream is great! Loving it.

Thanks fellers.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo own GoldenEye the game

Do you have a source on that? I was under the impression the actual games that Rare created were technically owned by them (hence why Microsoft has to come to the table whenever the DK:Country trilogy gets released).

The Xbox World 360 article that revealed the game years ago, a story now disputed with the current leak, put Nintendo (not having a legal means to block the release) leveraging their relationship with Activision to disband the project. That story was broken before Goldeneye: Reloaded was announced so it did give the article some legs at the time.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a source on that? I was under the impression the actual games that Rare created were technically owned by them (hence why Microsoft has to come to the table whenever the DK:Country trilogy gets released).

The Xbox World 360 article that revealed the game years ago, a story now disputed with the current leak, put Nintendo (not having a legal means to block the release) leveraging their relationship with Activision to disband the project. That story was broken before Goldeneye: Reloaded was announced so it did give it some legs at the time.

They actually bought up this exact licensing thing during the stream after I posted. Somebody commented to say that it was actually the Bond people (I can't remember the name) who license the Bond stuff out that stopped the release in the end.

They're definitely the ones with the most power. Whoever owns the Bond estate could theoretically stop anything, even if they've previously given a license out. They're the kings of saying what goes or not. See the IOI interview about getting their blessing for their new game.

I'm in the middle of trying to get the blessing of the estate of an incredibly well known (deceased) musician at the moment for a project that features a snippet of them in an interview and it's nerve wracking. They can veto it at any point (understandably). Doesn't matter if someone else owns the track or the interview or whatever. They get the final say.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the current explanation with the leak definitely fits with what we now know of EON/MGM.

Figure it's worth posting that explanation here for anyone that might have missed it:

Wouldn't be surprised if everything ended we've heard over the years ended up being true, seems like a mess all around!
2IKVdkc.png

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Have they ever answered why they remade it in the first place, when they couldn't release it? At what point did they become aware that it would be impossible to release and why wasn't it ensured that they actually had the rights, before they began working on it?

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Looks rad as hell.

Just release it already, other games stuck in limbo have come out and wer gamers really REALLY want it so it should come out okay!

/s

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Playing this game at a good framerate, it actually holds up really well. As a kid I never played it as a stealth game on the highest difficulty, and doing it now is actually a lot of fun. Some of the NPCs have routines that you can take advantage of, kinda like the Hitman games. I had no idea since I usually just went through the levels just shooting everyone.

The only thing that hasn't really aged that well is the controls. Gonna have to get used to the aiming in this game since it doesn't look like you can configure the stick sensitivity or anything like that.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm still not sure if this leak and all the attention now rather raises or lowers the chances even more for this to ever get released.

This YouTube guy who had the original longplay says at that a 2021 release is planned, hope that doesn't ruin it.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
X360 GoldenEye had been in private proto circles for years, the fact it slipped or even a video of a full playthrough came out is a miracle
Have they ever answered why they remade it in the first place, when they couldn't release it? At what point did they become aware that it would be impossible to release and why wasn't it ensured that they actually had the rights, before they began working on it?
I'm guessing Microsoft was confident that the rights issues could be untangled late into development, but never were

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
This YouTube guy who had the original longplay says at that a 2021 release is planned, hope that doesn't ruin it.

That was ambiguously worded and I took that meaning a 'scene' release rather than official. I just can't see this happening, but would be amazing if I were proved wrong.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
It seems as if the leak is already widely spread. It's already available on a lot of places.

The fact that it plays perfectly on Xenia, the Xbox 360 emulator means that it will be played through by a lot of people.

I find it so interesting that they took the approach they did, apparently you can in real time change between the N64 and 360 look. I wonder if that was to save costs, or it was supposed to be a feature.

I guess the game is more of a remaster than a remake because of it. Very interesting stuff!

Last edited:

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I find it so interesting that they took the approach they did, apparently you can in real time change between the N64 and 360 look. I wonder if that was to save costs, or it was supposed to be a feature.
It's becoming a thing among modern remasters, Halo MCC had it and more recently the Command and Conquer Remaster did as well. It's 100% a feature, you'd have to go out of your way to develop it, it wouldn't be a free or cost saving remnant left over from the original work.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
It's becoming a thing among modern remasters, Halo MCC had it and more recently the Command and Conquer Remaster did as well. It's 100% a feature, you'd have to go out of your way to develop it, it wouldn't be a free or cost saving remnant left over from the original work.

Monkey Island had it in 2009 too on XBLA