• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

A spectacular piece of story-driven single-player DLC, Gears 5's Hivebusters update is a graphical showcase for PC and all Xbox consoles. And more than that, The Coalition has also delivered bug fixes and optimisations that improve the core game for all users. Here's John and Rich to discuss Hivebusters and the patched code.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So some of the issues that came with the Series X/S launch has been fixed. Nothing major. But the small drops in the open world have been fixed and the cutscene hitch. Also the PC version got some extra fixes and is now also in line with the new features the Series X/S got.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The game looks so clean. It's really impressive.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I wasn't completely worn out on the Gears formula. This looks very pretty.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Great to see that TC made Gears 5 basically perfect. Flawless 60 FPS and incredible graphics plus an awesome DLC. Gears 5 is a great game and I like where TC is going. Bright future ahead for the franchise :)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think people are really ready for what this team does with UE5. Sheesh.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are really ready for what this team does with UE5. Sheesh.

One of the few dev teams I just know will deliver on the next gen hardware.

I'm hoping the studios collaborate and share tech / knowledge as much as possible so the overall library us better for it. These guys are clearly at the top of their game in the industry.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
FlorianĂłpolis, Brazil
Honestly, this looks like the most beautiful game yet on nextgen.

Edit: ranting mode
I do think that sometimes DF focus more on small imperfections on the X than on PS. Maybe because of the promise of the most powerful hardware, which warrants a more critical approach, but honestly sometimes I feel like PS gets away with more small caveats than the X.

Things like small performance drops being called "basically flawless" on the PS but "not quite perfect" on the X or something to this effect. It feels kinda unbalanced to my ears. Or suggesting CB runs better on the X because of some monetary exchange, while not ever hearing anything similar on the PS side (maybe there is? I just never heard of it).

But anyway, I do trust them a lot, and it's just a matter of filtering some of the stuff sometimes. I'm not accusing them of being on anyone's pocket, please, it's just maybe something unconscious that creeps out maybe sometimes? not sure how to put it. Anyway, it's just my honest (and probably unpopular) opinion. Not trying to be offensive or anything.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
This studio never ceases to impress me. How fast they turn around games that are well optimized for all platforms is impressive. If they were given even 4 years and only had to work on the Series consoles + PC, they could achieve visuals that are second to none.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at work right now and can't watch. Do they say if performance/resolution is also clearly better on 1X?
I only gotta play the dlc, for now I won't replay the game, but it would be nice if I played the dlc with increased / more stable resolution on the 1X. If not, the game was already impressive in that version.
Thanks!

Dec 8, 2018

I do think that sometimes DF focus more on small imperfections on the X than on PS. Maybe because of the promise of the most powerful hardware, which warrants a more critical approach, but honestly sometimes I feel like PS gets away with more small caveats than the X.

Things like small performance drops being called "basically flawless" on the PS but "not quite perfect" on the X or something to this effect. It feels kinda unbalanced to my ears. Or suggesting CB runs better on the X because of some monetary exchange, while not ever hearing anything similar on the PS side (maybe there is? I just never heard of it).

But anyway, I do trust them a lot, and it's just a matter of filtering some of the stuff sometimes. I'm not accusing them of being on anyone's pocket, please, it's just maybe something unconscious that creeps out maybe sometimes? not sure how to put it. Anyway, it's just my honest (and probably unpopular) opinion. Not trying to be offensive or anything.

For the spoiler part that is only you and your imagination they really don't have any agenda and things like this is only said from certain posters on both sides and don't belong in a discussion.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great video one question for Dark1x will the DF Retros return in the new year? (i'm waiting for you to tackle the greatest Snes shooter of all time Axelay)

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Did I miss it but where was the details on the DLC? They spent all their time going over some minor frame dips and a weird cutscene issue for OG Gears 5 and never really talked about the DLC

Ive not long finished hive busters and it was stunning so was expecting some coverage on the following...
  • Was there ray tracing used? Some of the metal surfaces showed some impressive reflections and overall lighting was superb.
  • Res. It looked super clean hard to say what it was running at but it looked ama
  • Frame rate. From what I exp it was basically flawless.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Did I miss it but where was the details on the DLC? They spent all their time going over some minor frame dips and a weird cutscene issue for OG Gears 5 and never really talked about the DLC

Ive not long finished hive busters and it was stunning so was expecting some coverage on the following...
  • Was there ray tracing used? Some of the metal surfaces showed some impressive reflections and overall lighting was superb.
  • Res. It looked super clean hard to say what it was running at but it looked ama
  • Frame rate. From what I exp it was basically flawless.
Indeed, they did not cover any new specific XSX/S features at all :S

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Game simply looks sublime graphically! Def the best looking XSX game right now. I wonder how Gears 6 will look on UE5

Great to see all issues fixed from launch too! Rock solid 60fps no more hiccups and slow downs

haklong

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft should be doing everything they can to keep The Coalition happy. These guys and Playground games are top notch and impress the hell out of me. Played a lot of this yesterday and it had me going wow a lot of time on the Series X.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I'm a lapsed Gears fan (loved 1 and got 2 at launch). Is 5 worth picking up? I can just play it on GPU.
I'm not a gears fan at all (played 2 & 3) and I played 5 shortly after it released. Dropped it half way and lost interest in continuing. Picked it back up on Series X and wow, it felt like a totally different game.
Very smooth, amazing graphics and I really started to enjoy it. I still don't count myself as a Gears fan but I'm excited to play this DLC and can look back at Gears 5 on Series X and honestly say it's a fantastic game that everyone should give a go, regardless of whether they like Gears or cover based shooters. I genuinely wouldn't have tried it at all if it wasn't for Game Pass, very glad I did in the end.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Good stuff from DF again and like they said,I cant wait to see what they will turn out with Gear 6 that hopefully will be a full next gen built game,its going to be incredible...this campaign DLC is awesome as well,nice to see it and not just new maps for multi.

Oct 30, 2017

This looks like a really pretty last gen game to me. It looks about on par to Uncharted 4 to me on Pro with a higher frame rate. Which is a great looking game.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Yeeeeah you obviously missed the uproar over how DF spent too much time focusing on the imperfections of the Miles Morales ray tracing solution, while overlooking Gears 5's issues. Or the entire "DF IS BIASED/MS SHILLS" campaign over not trashing Halo Infinite hard enough.

As always, DF's bias is questioned depending on which platform is being discussed in the video.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
This game already felt next gen running at 4k60 on the one x. Looking forward to what these guys can do when building from the ground up on the series x

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Great video one question for Dark1x will the DF Retros return in the new year? (i'm waiting for you to tackle the greatest Snes shooter of all time Axelay)
I don't think Dark comes here a lot anymore. Probably want to check their discord.

OT: Coalition is a fantastic studio. Phil Spencer, please let them do other games. Don't hold them hostage to the Gears series.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a gears fan at all (played 2 & 3) and I played 5 shortly after it released. Dropped it half way and lost interest in continuing. Picked it back up on Series X and wow, it felt like a totally different game.
Very smooth, amazing graphics and I really started to enjoy it. I still don't count myself as a Gears fan but I'm excited to play this DLC and can look back at Gears 5 on Series X and honestly say it's a fantastic game that everyone should give a go, regardless of whether they like Gears or cover based shooters. I genuinely wouldn't have tried it at all if it wasn't for Game Pass, very glad I did in the end.

Thank you

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I started playing this last night and it is absolutely gorgeous. It is one of the best looking games on console right now.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what it is about Gears 5 but I get these horrible 5-10 second long stutters with VRR enabled. I don't have this issue in any other game. Was really hoping this patch would fix it but the problem it's still there. Since there wasn't a word on this from DF I'm guessing this perhaps is a problem with FreeSync only? I'm using Samsung FreeSync2 TV, and afaik, John is using LG TV with HDMI VRR. But again, my setup is working fine in every other game on XSX with VRR (FreeSync) enabled. So weird that only in Gears5 I can observe this problem.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know what it is about Gears 5 but I get these horrible 5-10 second long stutters with VRR enabled. I don't have this issue in any other game. Was really hoping this patch would fix it but the problem it's still there. Since there wasn't a word on this from DF I'm guessing this perhaps is a problem with FreeSync only? I'm using Samsung FreeSync2 TV, and afaik, John is using LG TV with HDMI VRR. But again, my setup is working fine in every other game on XSX with VRR (FreeSync) enabled. So weird that only in Gears5 I can observe this problem.

I have a Samsung Q90r with Freesync enabled (120Hz, too), and it works fine. I haven't seen the stutters you mentioned.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung Q90r with Freesync enabled (120Hz, too), and it works fine. I haven't seen the stutters you mentioned.
Maybe Gears or Xbox doesn't like FreeSync implementation on my TV since it's an older model. But it's odd because I don't have this problem in any other game on XSX. It's a bit annoying having to disable VRR every time I want to play Gears. :/

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should be doing everything they can to keep The Coalition happy. These guys and Playground games are top notch and impress the hell out of me. Played a lot of this yesterday and it had me going wow a lot of time on the Series X.
Agreed, i think this new gen they're going to become one of the industry's top devs. MS, let them make an original I.P please! Organic growth like PG (to handle more then 1 project).

I had no idea the core game was improved, amazing news as im about 2/3 of the way through!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked that they pointed out issues and they fixed them all. Constructive and fair criticism with a lead in.