• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
With recent news there's a lot of hand-wringing, but seems like now's the time to plan. Tbh, I never had a PSP and have never been a huge Sony guy, but I go back to old games a lot and I know there's some good stuff there. There was one thread about "must have PS3 games", but it's kind of annoying because it's just throwing anything out there whether it's easy or hard to find or whatever. I want to know just what are some great digital-only PSP games, or possibly exceptionally hard to find physically, but ideally that doesn't mean everything slightly niche.

Anyone know of any good lists or resources?

Oct 28, 2017
Despite it coming from a source many might consider unsavoury, this is pretty good. Might not find all these on the PS Store, though.

vsrecommendedgames.fandom.com

PlayStation Portable

"Come out and play." Sony's first handheld system. It was a major success in Japan, though Sony's strict localization policies stymied ability to competition with the Nintendo DS elsewhere. Despite that, its capability to natively emulate PSX titles and to run scaled down PS2 graphics has given...

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a Vita (don't own a PSP), so I would greatly appreciate this thread 🙏🙏

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Trails in The sky 1 & 2, Corpse Party and the sequel (i think it's book of shadows), Black Rock Shooter, FF3 atleast in the west

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
If you like dungeon RPGs, there's Elminage Original, which has a legendarily bad translation but is otherwise a solid Wizardry-styled RPG, as well as Class of Heroes 2, a more anime-styled game which is also available on the PS3.

Summon Night 5 is also available, a tactics RPG with dating sim elements. Summon Night 5 and Class of Heroes 2 both had very limited physical releases through Gaijinworks's website (similar to what LRG does nowadays) but both of those are long-gone.

EDIT: Oh geez, yeah, Final Fantasy III. Can't forget that one. It's a port of the DS version but I prefer playing the PSP version. That's on mobile too, of course.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, the two PSP Corpse Parties were digital-only I believe, though the first did get a physical 3DS release and Blood Drive was physical on Vita.

(Sadly I only have Book of Shadows and Blood Drive, I doubt the PSP version of the original will see a sale any time soon)

SabinFigaro

Oct 27, 2017
Off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned:

Cladun: This is an RPG
Cladun X2
Fate/unlimited codes

There's likely quite a few more. I'm surprised there's no master list.

I have to echo the recommendation for Brandish. It's up there with my favorite releases on the system.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Locoroco Midnight Carnival is very different than the first two games, but just as good (better, really, depending on what you want from a game). Highly recommend.

... And I guess I need to buy it, too! I don't remember what account I had it on so many years ago but it was either my British or old American account, so I should purchase it on my current/permanent account.

Edit: holy crap it's only $6, too. That's awesome, I think the game launched at like 15 or 20.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If I can trust the store filters, there's actually not as many digital-only games as I expected. Most of the ones mentioned in this thread do seem to be the stand outs.

Maybe there's DLC for existing games that may also be annoying to procure? That may be harder to find a comprehensive list.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
You're better off saving your money on the Trails games and just buying them on Steam tbh, unless you really like portability. The PSP versions are blurry and sluggish, and the PC versions run on pretty much any old laptop.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
If I can trust the store filters, there's actually not as many digital-only games as I expected. Most of the ones mentioned in this thread do seem to be the stand outs.

Maybe there's DLC for existing games that may also be annoying to procure? That may be harder to find a comprehensive list.

List seems to be missing all the minis (although they are all cross-plat with PS3); i liked:
Blast Off
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess!
And there was a decent Tetris

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Shame Sony gave up psp and vita game sales on psn. Way to screw over the remaining fans interested in the system. I can imagine in perfect world having a huge psp and vita digital collection from sales over the years similar to what we saw on ps4. I hate Sony sometimes.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

There's actually tons of psp games that never made it to the the store. Sony only really started taking digital seriously with the vita and ps4.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Was Half-Minute Hero digital only? That game was great. Oh and the Badman games!

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
There's actually tons of psp games that never made it to the the store. Sony only really started taking digital seriously with the vita and ps4.

I'm still annoyed Square never released FF1 and FF2 digitally in the US. I think Europe got them, somehow.

Was Half-Minute Hero digital only? That game was great. Oh and the Badman games!

Nope, there's a physical for Half Minute Hero, I've got it. Sequel was PC only though.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Some others I believe are digital only:

- Super Stardust Portable (I think it might have some exclusive modes compared to PS3 like Impulse, great game to have in your pocket regardless)
- Beats (fun little rhythm game)
- Echochrome (digital-only in North America)
- Pinball Heroes
- Probably a bunch of DLC songs for Rock Band Unplugged
- All of the PS1 classics, of course, which are amazing. Huge selection of great titles.

If you've never had a PSP, the physical-only games are overall probably more interesting and worth tracking down.

There's a bunch but first thoughts are, Sweet Fuse and Motorstorm.

Motorstorm had a physical release, at least in North America.

www.ebay.com

MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (Sony PSP, 2009) for sale online | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (Sony PSP, 2009) at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Some others I believe are digital only:

- Super Stardust Portable (I think it might have some exclusive modes compared to PS3 like Impulse, great game to have in your pocket regardless)
- Echochrome (digital-only in North America)
- Pinball Heroes
- Probably a bunch of DLC songs for Rock Band Unplugged
- All of the PS1 classics, of course, which are amazing. Huge selection of great titles.

If you've never had a PSP, the physical-only games are overall probably more interesting and worth tracking down.

Motorstorm had a physical release, at least in North America.

www.ebay.com

MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (Sony PSP, 2009) for sale online | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (Sony PSP, 2009) at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Does any DLC for other titles come to mind as stand-outs?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Does any DLC for other titles come to mind as stand-outs?

Eh... There's a mission pack for Valkyria Chronicles 2, probably the most interesting. Pinball Heroes which I mentioned has different table packs, I actually liked the game (you can turn the PSP vertical to play by seeing the whole table) and bought them. LittleBigPlanet has a ton but it's mostly just costumes, and the servers for the game are shut down now anyway. A single car pack for Gran Turismo PSP.

Edit: If you're interested in playing Super Stardust Portable, be sure to buy the "solo pack" DLC to unlock all modes.

Nothing much else comes to mind but if there are games that you are looking forward to playing and that are from 2008 or later, might be worth checking out whether they have anything to download.

Edit 2: For example I was thinking of late gen titles after writing this and remembered Patapon 3, went and looked and sure enough it has a couple mission packs listed. There are probably others I don't know about.

Last edited:

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
They're smaller indie style games that you could play on PSP or PS3. They were normal PSN games, unlike PSMobile (Vita/Android/was it on ios?) which were kept on different servers for some reason.

This. They were limited to 100MB and compiled with some library that made them work on both PSP and PS3.There are a few gems. Velocity is super good (although I played the Vita native version). SNK put out a handful of their arcade games as minis too.

I've personally played:

A Space Shooter for Two Bucks
Blast Off
Bloons (meh)
Dracula: Undead Awakening
Echoes
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess
OMG-Z
Pac-Man Championship Edition
Pix'N Love Rush
Tetris
Who's That Flying?!
Zombie Tycoon (meh)

Some (Dracula, Pac-Man, Tetris) are no longer available.

I have heard good things about Coconut Dodge, Fieldrunners, Mad Blocker Alpha, Mighty Flip Champs, and Where is My Heart, but have not played them.

Since they tend to be smaller games, i don't know how many can qualify as "must haves" but i enjoyed most of the ones I tried. Conversely, if you have a few 100mb free and a few dollars, it's easy to pick up a few.

Last edited:

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018

Looks like there are physical versions of these two, so they're not entirely lost to time when the PSP store becomes difficult to access. Both FlOw and Beats were included on a single UMD in the three-pack PlayStation Network Collection: Power Pack. Also includes Syphon Filter: Command Ops, although I think that was an online multiplayer game, so maybe it only works through ad-hoc now?
1BMQJPQm.jpg

Seems there was a second collection like this too, PlayStation Network Collection: Puzzle Pack, which includes Go! Sudoku!, a version of Lemmings, and Go! Puzzle!
L71dvA2m.jpg

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah. I did know about that, but forgot.

Technically flow has a PS3 and PS4 version too anyway.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Looks like there are physical versions of these two, so they're not entirely lost to time when the PSP store becomes difficult to access. Both FlOw and Beats were included on a single UMD in the three-pack PlayStation Network Collection: Power Pack. Also includes Syphon Filter: Command Ops, although I think that was an online multiplayer game, so maybe it only works through ad-hoc now?
1BMQJPQm.jpg

Seems there was a second collection like this too, PlayStation Network Collection: Puzzle Pack, which includes Go! Sudoku!, a version of Lemmings, and Go! Puzzle!
L71dvA2m.jpg

Interesting, maybe Europe only? I'm in the US.

Glitter

Sep 20, 2020
Breath of Fire III was digital-only in NA. (Possible to get a PAL UMD though.)

And I believe Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill are prominent titles (there may be others) that can't be bought on Vita but work as PSP PS classics.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Are there ok any notable PSP games (and/or DLC) that don't show up on the Vita store?
Do you mean download-only or any PSP game?
for physical games:
* some are on the store and vita compatible
* some are on the store but are NOT vita comptible (Wipeout Pure, Ratchet & Clank, many others)
* some were never put on the store (Tony Hawk, Final Fantasy I&II, many others)
And then there are games that *were* available but have since been delisted.

Jan 11, 2018
Mostly games that were digital only for PSP (and Vita too, if you happen to know any) that are somehow not on the Vita store.