• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer physical but don't mind digital - it's cloud gaming that I'm inherently against. That's when it no longer becomes possible to archive software for the future. As an example, the Stadia exclusive Gylt - whether you care about the game or not, when that service inevitably ends, that game is as good as gone.

As for digital itself, the only real issue for me is that it becomes increasingly annoying to access digital games on older platforms. I sometimes use these games for DF videos and it can be a hassle to get everything setup, logged in and downloading again. That's just a convenience thing, though.

Nov 8, 2017
The worst is when digital advocates ignore the fact that digital is frequently more expensive than physical.

I don't mind either myself, but I usually go with whichever is cheapest, and 90% of the time that's physical.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I react against are when people who are/want to be physical only, disregards the fact that digital distribution creates opportunities for games we would never ever have gotten, if it wasn't for digital distribution.

Other then that, it's just such a wildly different perspective for me who have been digital only for PC since 2007. But I do acknowledge that PC and consoles have vastly different experiences for this, with consoles being locked to the console manufacturers stores, and that console gamers also have to deal with generation shifts.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know exactly to who you are referring, at least on Era, but it's just a bunch of premature half-troll, so no need to draw a facial composite based on these. I think the problem for them isn't in the medium but in the transferable license you'll lose. It's a trade for a convenience, but not the slightest one, especially in the video game field. A rational argument for the digital distribution is to has had been one of the key to the success of indies.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I prefer physical but don't mind digital - it's cloud gaming that I'm inherently against. That's when it no longer becomes possible to archive software for the future.
Back when I used OnLive regularly, I thought more companies would push toward cloud gaming more immediately as a means of preventing piracy. I'm surprised it's taken this long, though I honestly wouldn't be too concerned yet, as most of the success in cloud gaming has been in the form of cloud gaming as a supplement to games libraries you already "own" in some form. Stadia's basically using the same business model as OnLive (minus the deep discounts of OnLive), and look how that's going for Google. It'll never catch on in that form, because the value proposition really isn't anywhere close to what the company thinks it is.

Anyway, as far as digital vs. physical goes, I tend to notice much more passive-aggressiveness from the physical-only crowd, and I think the arguments for physical are flimsier.

Ironically, as much as I prefer digital, I've become more more interested in physical media for movies. I have yet to find a means of consuming movies that I like, though Emby does a decent job for what I use it for. Basically, when I "watch" movies, I typically just like to have them on as background noise. Emby at least allows me to shuffle a bunch of movies in the background without forcing me to install a bunch of plug-ins to automate basic tasks that any media player should automatically perform (*cough*Kodi*cough*), though there's still far too much manual effort required in setting everything up, and it's probably the least stable of the various media center PC solutions I've tried.

Services like Amazon Video, Hulu and Netflix all have serious shortcomings that I dislike, and the manner in which they serve up content only makes me feel as though I'm consuming media altogether incorrectly. I don't understand why movies auto-play as you're viewing the description of a movie or just happen to rest your selection on it momentarily. Why can't you set up playlists or shuffle content for long periods of time in the background? (I understand that it's due to the company's efforts to minimize bandwidth, but it ruins the experience for me.) Why are the recommendations for other content so bad? (I've noticed that Amazon Video now starts another movie when the one you're finished watching your current one, but it's weird, because I'll be watching some 80s action movie from my video librarly, only for Amazon to start auto-playing some anime I don't own afterward.) Plus, given the file size of movies, I think physical media is far more warranted for movies, as we're not dealing with movies getting patched just yet (assuming that Cats doesn't become the norm, anyway). I don't care if a game is 100+ GB, because I spend tons of time with them. Meanwhile, a movie on Blu-ray that it takes maybe two hours to watch is sometimes 30 GB or so. I have unlimited bandwidth, and I know streaming versions don't weigh in nearly as heavily as Blu-ray versions of movies if you're dealing with the same resolution, but it just seems wasteful to me.

That said, why doesn't physical media make it more convenient to consume your content? I understand the push toward streaming, but companies still make Blu-rays, so it's clear they want you to buy them in some form. Why should I have to purchase an expensive disc changer if I want to consume content in the background without switching discs every two hours? Why doesn't the media itself facilitate purchasing a lot of it and being able to consume it as conveniently as possible in its actual form without paying an arm and a leg for the added privilege? Hell, just earlier today, I was brainstorming a UMD-like format that'd slot into an inexpensive tray that could effectively be daisy-chained together with other such trays as a stand-in for a disc changer without the complexity of having to move the discs around. I spend way too much time thinking about all of this. Neither digital or physical is perfect, but I think digital works more sensibly for just about anything but movies.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Back when I used OnLive regularly, I thought more companies would push toward cloud gaming more immediately as a means of preventing piracy. I'm surprised it's taken this long, though I honestly wouldn't be too concerned yet, as most of the success in cloud gaming has been in the form of cloud gaming as a supplement to games libraries you already "own" in some form. Stadia's basically using the same business model as OnLive (minus the deep discounts of OnLive), and look how that's going for Google. It'll never catch on in that form, because the value proposition really isn't anywhere close to what the company thinks it is.

Anyway, as far as digital vs. physical goes, I tend to notice much more passive-aggressiveness from the physical-only crowd, and I think the arguments for physical are flimsier.

Ironically, as much as I prefer digital, I've become more more interested in physical media for movies. I have yet to find a means of consuming movies that I like, though Emby does a decent job for what I use it for. Basically, when I "watch" movies, I typically just like to have them on as background noise. Emby at least allows me to shuffle a bunch of movies in the background without forcing me to install a bunch of plug-ins to automate basic tasks that any media player should automatically perform (*cough*Kodi*cough*), though there's still far too much manual effort required in setting everything up, and it's probably the least stable of the various media center PC solutions I've tried.

Services like Amazon Video, Hulu and Netflix all have serious shortcomings that I dislike, and the manner in which they serve up content only makes me feel as though I'm consuming media altogether incorrectly. I don't understand why movies auto-play as you're viewing the description of a movie or just happen to rest your selection on it momentarily. Why can't you set up playlists or shuffle content for long periods of time in the background? (I understand that it's due to the company's efforts to minimize bandwidth, but it ruins the experience for me.) Why are the recommendations for other content so bad? (I've noticed that Amazon Video now starts another movie when the one you're finished watching your current one, but it's weird, because I'll be watching some 80s action movie from my video librarly, only for Amazon to start auto-playing some anime I don't own afterward.) Plus, given the file size of movies, I think physical media is far more warranted for movies, as we're not dealing with movies getting patched just yet (assuming that Cats doesn't become the norm, anyway). I don't care if a game is 100+ GB, because I spend tons of time with them. Meanwhile, a movie on Blu-ray that it takes maybe two hours to watch is sometimes 30 GB or so. I have unlimited bandwidth, and I know streaming versions don't weigh in nearly as heavily as Blu-ray versions of movies if you're dealing with the same resolution, but it just seems wasteful to me.

That said, why doesn't physical media make it more convenient to consume your content? I understand the push toward streaming, but companies still make Blu-rays, so it's clear they want you to buy them in some form. Why should I have to purchase an expensive disc changer if I want to consume content in the background without switching discs every two hours? Why doesn't the media itself facilitate purchasing a lot of it and being able to consume it as conveniently as possible in its actual form without paying an arm and a leg for the added privilege? Hell, just earlier today, I was brainstorming a UMD-like format that'd slot into an inexpensive tray that could effectively be daisy-chained together with other such trays as a stand-in for a disc changer without the complexity of having to move the discs around. I spend way too much time thinking about all of this. Neither digital or physical is perfect, but I think digital works more sensibly for just about anything but movies.
If you log in to Amazon on a computer, in the account settings you can turn off the "auto-play the next episode / something else when the thing I am watching finishes". It irritated me greatly before I found this out!

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
Pushy? Never experienced this. For me, it really depends on the platform, I'm all digital on Xbox but about 50-50 on Switch. Willl probably be more physical on the Switch since I just bought my son a lite so it's easier to share games using physical.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
It feels like the opposite, actually.

Guess I'll just go and continue to play games I don't actually own now.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this even worth discussing in 2020? Digital won a long time ago. Physical discs are now in legacy support state and are about to disappear.

PC - no physical releases for about a decade now
Switch - many physical releases are a joke, often it's just a box containing download code
Xbox, Playstation - last "bastions" of old school physical releases remaining, but we see news articles almost every week how this game or that game sold heaps more digitally. I personally have never used a disc on my XBX and PS4 Pro, don't even know how optical drives function in these consoles.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
If you log in to Amazon on a computer, in the account settings you can turn off the "auto-play the next episode / something else when the thing I am watching finishes". It irritated me greatly before I found this out!
Does that extend to when you use it on a Fire TV device? I couldn't figure out how to turn off that feature on the device itself.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
If you're okay with yourself it shouldn't bother you much.
Too many people on the internet telling other people what to do and think.
Mostly frustrated angry peeps trying to get some level of relevance trough a forum or a social media..
Take it all into account (they might have something useful and seriously worthy to say after all) and follow you own path.

I think it's mostly just people giving their opinion. Do with it as you like.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly play on PC so of course 99% of my purchases are digital but I have seen this attitude around. I'm happy for people to have the choice of physical but some people do sound like they not satisfied having a preference, they want everyone to be forced along with them.

Really I see a lot of weirdly passionate posting about all sorts of issues of individual choice that shouldn't matter to them and it's hard to tell if it's parody or not. Like people championing the removal of a headphone socket from another phone brand as if people still wanting the choice to use wired affects them at all.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
In my experience. it's the other way round. There is like a thread every couple of months about how digital games are doomed to disappear. Here is a couple

www.resetera.com

P.T. should be a warning that the all digital future is not a utopia.

Many people are moving their entire libraries to all digital. And why not? It keeps everything in an easy to locate place and is more resistant to time and disaster. However, it can't escape a publisher that doesn't want you to play anymore. Between data caps, poor download speeds, items being...

www.resetera.com

I refuse to embrace an all Digital & Streaming future...

Does this picture just not seem haunting to any of you that support an all Digital & Streaming future? The game above is Starblood Arena that came out in 2017 and only had a lifespan of 2 measly years. I am just so disappointed that it was developed as an always-online game but Sony/or White...

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
In my experience. it's the other way round. There is like a thread every couple of months about how digital games are doomed to disappear. Here is a couple

www.resetera.com

Many people are moving their entire libraries to all digital. And why not? It keeps everything in an easy to locate place and is more resistant to time and disaster. However, it can't escape a publisher that doesn't want you to play anymore. Between data caps, poor download speeds, items being...

www.resetera.com

Does this picture just not seem haunting to any of you that support an all Digital & Streaming future? The game above is Starblood Arena that came out in 2017 and only had a lifespan of 2 measly years. I am just so disappointed that it was developed as an always-online game but Sony/or White...
^
Hit the nail on the head right there.

Aug 25, 2019
i think that's your own internal brain doing that pushing. Physical box sets are super elaborate and well orchestrated to entice physical copies

xbox one digital games ain't cheaper to buy either

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
It's more when I see people in general (not even me as I barely even create threads) talk about physical games or something involving collections, there's always some digital users that will come in and criticize the choice of physical, for the above reasons I stated. It could be moreso the idea of minimalistic people trying to push digital moreso, as one user above mentioned. My title was a loaded, general question, but the details were in the OP. It was only ever actually directed to people who do in fact do that (which is why I even had a disclaimer).

Just basically asking for respect on whatecer choice someone does pick. I stated in the OP that I have yet to witness the opposite, where a physical-buyer actually criticizes someone going digital and tried making them get physical instead, which is also not fair. I'm not advocating for any "victimhood" on just one side, but it has been the only thing I have seen.

(Also calling people that prefer other choices "old people" sure doesn't help...)
Quit looking for the excuse to bemoan others while ignoring the very same on the flip side.

You've already hand waved aggressive physical only players who enter every digital thread possible with "enjoy your digital only future" while cherry picking the very worst of examples while ignoring the pitfalls of physical ownership.

Both will exist for plenty of time into the future. Digital music and films don't stop the existence of things like vinyl even, and as long as there are market for physical products, they'll exist.

The fact that you "haven't seen" aggressive behaviour on the other side is because you're ignoring it.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

Because it is a plain fact, and one people still seem to keep ignoring until it actually effects them. We currently have no ownership rights to any digital release, they can be taken away at any time for any reason. Preservation of the medium now has to find ways around dealing with patches, DLC, delisted games, online checks, online gameplay mechanics and cloud streaming - because lets be honest, the companies selling you these games don't give a rats ass if 15 years from now you can still play Gylt or Calling All Cars.

The discussion about that has to happen now, not when it is too late and we've lost games. One look at certain websites will tell you that there is a lot of PS3/360 DLC and patches that are not currently preserved, so we're one online service shutdown away from losing content forever.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We see threads created by people on both sides but most of the actual hostility I see comes from the physical only side. A fair amount of "Only IDIOTS with more money than sense would go digital only" sort of stuff gets thrown around. A lot of passive aggressive "I actually care about ownership" and "I'm not so lazy that changing a disc is a big deal for me" stuff too.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
im a mix of both, sometimes digital-only (at times, mainly for switch lately) others physical.

As for the concerns you wrote OP, I know they be a real thing (this thread is proof of it). However, I have almost the same complaints about the Physical only people. I have had genuine arguments with people because I purchase a game digitally instead of physically as they were that passionate about it.

Different strokes, for different folks I guess on this.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Making weirdly aggressive high-and-mighty value judgments about someone else's preference is basically the bread and butter of internet discourse these days. It's probably just because I run in these circles, but it always seems particularly terrible in "geek" or "nerd" communities. Everyone's trying to feel superior to the other guy, and I fall into this trap a lot too. With this particular debate, it happens on both sides; just look at those threads fear-mongering snidely about the "digital future" whenever some service is discontinued. I don't think this is unique to any argument though because there's always that knot of miserable people looking to tear each other down over the least important topics and they will absolutely dominate the conversation. Something else that doesn't help is that I suspect most people- perfectly nice, decent people- tend to stay quiet until something stimulates them, and that's often disagreement they feel the need to vocalize. Then these dumb little tribal teams form and it all gets negative.

Even the OP which is fairly nicely worded and inoffensive is trying to paint a picture of an opposite team who is overly zealous and aggressive and pop up often making it difficult to discuss pro-physical subject matter. I'm sure the reality leans more towards the entire discussion being its own toxic cesspit. After all, this isn't a moral debate where someone can be right or wrong, this is about what kind of product someone prefers and there's no right answer beyond a particular user's preference.

I wish folks would just be nicer to each other, myself included. It's making it tough to navigate communities formed around things I really enjoy.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much extra would you pay though? I once saw a game on PSN costing £48 at the same time Amazon was selling the physical version for £12.

Most people would just wait for a digital sale, which happen constantly. On PSN specifically there's literally always a sale on and it rotates every 2 weeks. For older games it's not difficult to get a game digitally for close to, if not the same price, as the current physical retail price if you're willing to wait a bit.

As an example, right now Spider-Man is cheaper digitally than it is physically.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Because it is a plain fact, and one people still seem to keep ignoring until it actually effects them. We currently have no ownership rights to any digital release, they can be taken away at any time for any reason. Preservation of the medium now has to find ways around dealing with patches, DLC, delisted games, online checks, online gameplay mechanics and cloud streaming - because lets be honest, the companies selling you these games don't give a rats ass if 15 years from now you can still play Gylt or Calling All Cars.

The discussion about that has to happen now, not when it is too late and we've lost games. One look at certain websites will tell you that there is a lot of PS3/360 DLC and patches that are not currently preserved, so we're one online service shutdown away from losing content forever.
Pretty much proves my point right here, lol.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

The question really should be: how much should game publishers target their delivery methods around the hyper niche obsession of collecting everything in the video game space.

video games are in a state of glut and have been since 2015, there are too many games releasing for any one person to play.

has anyone stopped to ask if we really need gylt to exist in 15 years? What is the need for all games to have such permanence?

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The question really should be: how much should game publishers target their delivery methods around the hyper niche obsession of collecting everything in the video game space.

video games are in a state of glut and have been since 2015, there are too many games releasing for any one person to play.

has anyone stopped to ask if we really need gylt to exist in 15 years? What is the need for all games to have such permanence?
I've got little interest in collecting myself. If a Switch game has a physical release I'll buy that version as it's usually a tenner cheaper and then half the price back when I trade it in, but otherwise am happy with digital indies and just keeping a small stack of my favourites in the cupboard. However, I think the desire for permanence has another argument aside from today's hobbyist collectors.

There are plenty of media where we've lost so much in the past, such as when the BBC used to broadcast a programme then wipe the tape, which was only 60 years ago. These days, we can make a personal decision to back up the media we want forever, as the technology exists. Everything from films to photographs to music. With so much storage available, doesn't it make sense to back up media that people put years into creating, and let future generations decide whether it was worth it or not? A decision not to is a final one that perhaps might have future archivists making whatever the symbol for 'facepalm' is in a century's time! :D

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of media where we've lost so much in the past, such as when the BBC used to broadcast a programme then wipe the tape, which was only 60 years ago. These days, we can make a personal decision to back up the media we want forever, as the technology exists. Everything from films to photographs to music. With so much storage available, doesn't it make sense to back up media that people put years into creating, and let future generations decide whether it was worth it or not? A decision not to is a final one that perhaps might have future archivists making whatever the symbol for 'facepalm' is in a century's time! :D

I would argue it's on the creators to create those back ups, and not the consumers or the distributors. That's my biggest issue with the preservation argument, as it seems to put all the onus on the storefronts and platform holders to make sure those games are forever preserved when really it should be up to the creator or whoever owns the publishing rights.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
LoL, a lot of passive aggressive comments with whataboutism gaslighting OP saying never see examples they're talking about.
Don't we get "who is full digital now?" threads often?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't think I've ever seen a digital only person say they won't support products and they basically never chime in unless it's brought up

On the other hand, I see plenty of people with the "no physical, no buy" angle, and honestly I think letting your media choice dictate whether you play a game is supremely stupid

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LoL, a lot of passive aggressive comments with whataboutism gaslighting OP saying never see examples they're talking about.
Don't we get "who is full digital now?" threads often?
How is asking "who is full digital?" the same as what OP is talking about?

"Who here has played Sekiro?"
"Damn, why are you Sekiro fans so pushy about getting people to play your game?!"

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm mostly digital with PS4 being the last platform I still buy physical for.

I often question why fellow digital-only types are so militant about it, too.

And I'll even go so far as to say, I do occasionally run into spots with all digital where I wish I had remained physical. Most notably, now that game installs are getting so large, I sometimes have to take a huge hit to my ISP's shitty data cap to even just revisit a game. Most games do require patch downloads but the sizes of those patches are sooooo much smaller than the full client download, I sometimes wish I just had the disc to handle the base game and I was only taking a hit toward my monthly data cap from patches, which would probably be way more reasonable.

And I have gone slightly over my cap twice in recent memory, which was partially fueled by just wanting to revisit some older games.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would argue it's on the creators to create those back ups, and not the consumers or the distributors. That's my biggest issue with the preservation argument, as it seems to put all the onus on the storefronts and platform holders to make sure those games are forever preserved when really it should be up to the creator or whoever owns the publishing rights.
Fair point. I was really arguing 'let the future decide if games deserves permanence' against sceptism of the value of consumable media, as both music and television were once considered so, rather than making a point about who had to do it. But I agree with you, poorly worded on my part.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much proves my point right here, lol.
Your point being what exactly? "Oh no, the mean people who want to preserve games for future generations are trying to get better protections in place before the switch to all digital happens not long from now"?

I'll let you in on a secret, I buy most of my new games digitally and I still care deeply about preservation. They are not mutually exclusive.

Has anyone stopped to ask if we really need Super Mario Bros 2 or Space Invaders to exist in 15 years? How about PT? Does we really need to preserve Ghostbusters 2? Why do we need to keep all of Bob Ross' paintings? Because it is called preserving history, every created work has some value no matter how small. Countless TV programs have been lost to time (most notably Doctor Who) because everyone thought it to be a throwaway medium.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Is pushy people giving you solid reasons why digital is probably a better choice, if you're not a collector?

People have different opinions on this stuff, and this is a discussion board.

Let's not mistake solid opinions over being pushy.

Nov 8, 2017
Most people would just wait for a digital sale, which happen constantly. On PSN specifically there's literally always a sale on and it rotates every 2 weeks. For older games it's not difficult to get a game digitally for close to, if not the same price, as the current physical retail price if you're willing to wait a bit.

As an example, right now Spider-Man is cheaper digitally than it is physically.
The £48 example I gave has been in a sale, it had a 50% discount, making it £24, which is still twice as much as the £12 physical copy on Amazon.

It's very common on PSN to see games on "sale" that still cost more than their physical counterpart (I always check the Amazon price before assuming anything on a PSN "sale" is a good deal).

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Your point being what exactly? "Oh no, the mean people who want to preserve games for future generations are trying to get better protections in place before the switch to all digital happens not long from now"?

I'll let you in on a secret, I buy most of my new games digitally and I still care deeply about preservation. They are not mutually exclusive.
My point being people get really preachy/pushy about this topic and it's mostly the physical crowd, not the digital crowd like op says.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Is pushy people giving you solid reasons why digital is probably a better choice, if you're not a collector?

People have different opinions on this stuff, and this is a discussion board.

Let's not mistake solid opinions over being pushy.

When it my opinion vs your opinion it is a discussion

When it my Solid Opinion vs those different opinions it is being pushy

Last edited:

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
The only places I might see some pushy behaviour towards a type of midia are in forum topics like this. And usually it is the other way around, with people advocating against digital media.

Now, my opinion about this is that I got to a point in my life where I realized storing media like movies, series, anime and games is something pointless. I have so many old games and the reality is that I will never play 99% of them again. If I want I can just buy a remaster or something. I realize now that movies and games are almost like food, you consume them and move on. And with the internet around they will never perish. If you really want to watch or play some old thing again, you will certainly find it online and almost for free if it is too old. There is always new media coming out, no time to be attached with an old collection. So I really don't care anymore if it is digital or physical. By the time an online only game shuts down, or steam goes out and I lose my catalog I will be already playing a Playstation 7 or something.

Last edited:

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The £48 example I gave has been in a sale, it had a 50% discount, making it £24, which is still twice as much as the £12 physical copy on Amazon.

It's very common on PSN to see games on "sale" that still cost more than their physical counterpart (I always check the Amazon price before assuming anything on a PSN "sale" is a good deal).

Yeah but, some people don't care about paying more for a digital copy like the other poster already said. That wasn't the point I was making. My point was most people wouldn't pay £48 for a game they can get for £12, they'll wait for a sale. Wether that digital sale price is still more than the physical sale price is irrelevant unless you're literally just looking for the cheapest price.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Yeah, just because you digital-only can afford to abandon your corporeal form and exist as software in the cloud while us real worlders are left behind. Get of our back! This is the kind of shit that encourages people to accidentally trip over the server's power cables.

Oct 27, 2017
People are afraid that their hobby is being taken away from them and that's ok but it's still a misunderstanding.

If you were a hoarder and someone came to your house while you were away and dumped all your shit for your own good you would probably not thank them for cleaning up.

World's a changing. Physical will go the way of vinyl; niche collectors will keep the market alive, we'll get a resurgence in ten years etc but as of right now physical lost. It's over. No one is being "pushy" you're just in denial. I'm sure you'll still be able to collect (to a certain extent). Remember physically collecting does not equal playing and enjoying a game, It's it own thing. In five years disc will be gone. In ten years kids won't know what a disc is.

When the rest of us have uploaded ourselves you can complain to the other meatsacks.

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah but, some people don't care about paying more for a digital copy like the other poster already said. That wasn't the point I was making. My point was most people wouldn't pay £48 for a game they can get for £12, they'll wait for a sale. Wether that digital sale price is still more than the physical sale price is irrelevant unless you're literally just looking for the cheapest price.
So you're saying that the £48 game goes on sale for £24, then most people who favour digital will buy it even if they know they can get it for £12?

Also, that £12 price wasn't a "physical sale price", it was just the regular cost of the physical version not in any sale.