• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
pc is my main platform so ive been used to digital only(mostly) for the past 10+ years. for consoles i prefer physical because i can trade the games in at the end of the generation. but im team "do whatever the fuck you want".

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
For me it's always a case by case basis; if physical is available and I'm not 100% sure if I'll like it I'll always go physical just in case and for PS4 and Xb1 physical games they have been plummeting in price very early, but for say Nintendo games that stay full price for longer if I want to play them immediately there is 0 reason for me not to bite the bullet and even go as far to pre-load on the eShop.

I don't begrudge anyone for their choices as their choices have no affect on me at all

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
There is a real environmental cost to all of our plastic consumable stuff. But gamers making media choices is a drop in the bucket there. Overall, I certainly don't care if people buy physical, I'm half and half myself, but I think it's an inevitability that physical games will only disappear more and more every year, so the choice will become moot with some games. Already it's a bit of a false choice when so much of the content requires a patch anyway.
For certain games it can be difficult to justify a physical release especially for smaller indie titles. Only because of companies like Limited Run have certain games been able to get physical editions(and bless them for that).

And yes, game discs being unlocks or cd keys at this point is terrible. It's easily one of my least favorite things this gen is buying a physical disc and still needing to install multiple gigs of data, it wouldn't be so bad if it was occuring less.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
th
God I hate that guy so much.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of intent, that doesn't stop the fact that game collection is something you can only _really_ be serious about if you are at least decently well-off financially. People don't like being reminded (even if subconsciously) of the whole system of haves vs have-nots.

It really depends what you collect and how you do it. There are plenty of ways to obtain stuff at a good price without paying buckets for it, and then there are stories of amazing deals from luck/right place-right time situations.

Some people put their money in different places too, even when not well-off. If games are something that you want to use your spare money towards, it is possible.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
As a digital-only early adopter, I'm just trying to help you physical people out. I'm preaching the good word, evangelizing the bits. There is literally zero good reasons to buy physically. Let me tell you three quick stories:

1.) I own the N64 classic Space Station Silicon Valley. There is a bug in the game where you can't collect all the collectibles in the first level and therefore you can't unlock a fun bonus mini game. If this was a digital game, the bug could be patched.

2.) My copy of Super Mario World 2 lost all its save data. I had to open the cartridge and replace the battery, not a trivial feat. A digital game would have a HDD save. A modern service would even have a cloud-backed save system.

3.) Stopping by Walmart to pick up a new game after work? I do not have time for that especially with rush hour traffic. Waiting for Amazon to deliver my package by 8:00 PM? No thanks. Queuing up a download from my phone at 6:00 AM and having the game installed and ready to go in the evening? Yes please!

So come over to the digital side ;)

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I remember just a few years ago with physical people always bragging about "owning" their games and now they are the victims? Lol well at least you own the clutter you live in

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I feel the most I tend to see related to this is people complaining that "company X" isn't doing a physical release of their game (usually Capcom), people get overly indignant about the situation, and then at least a few "get with the future." comments are made. The lack of a physical release for a game is a totally valid thing to complain about but sometimes some people in those threads need to take some deep breaths and maybe go on a walk or something.

LexiStarrDust

Mar 31, 2019
I do not see posting pictures of your digital collection being any more of a financial flex as posting your digital Switch collection is a flex against people who live in rural America with poor internet (or hell, in my case I live outside of rural America and I did not have access to high speed for until only just recently).

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
The whole digital vs physical choice has kind of gotten merged with anxieties around ownership, games as a service, casual phone gaming, and general paranoia that companies have been _totes_ ruining gaming in recent years. And I don't know if you have noticed, but people can get rather militant about some of the aforementioned topics.
This is really the only scenario where I've seen people get "pushy." Digital media owners will tout some of the inherent benefits of digital games, and then it quickly turns into an argument over "ownership" and the impermanence of the digital medium.

I actually think predicting the long-term positives and negatives of physical vs. digital to be quite interesting. I gave it a lot of thought at the beginning of this year, and it made me make some big changes in my game buying and collecting habits.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where your seeing this sort of pushy behavior, because it seems few and far between. From my perspective, it's physical buyers who are far more vocal and loud about their choice and how digital purchasers "don't own" their games.

odlanorz

Oct 30, 2017
Digital only is clearly better for the environment. Everyone who buys physical is promoting climate change.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
User Warned: Ableist Language, please don't use 'retarded' as a pejorative term
The tone described by the OP in digital/physical threads definitely does exist.

Personally I find it weird because whilst console/platform fanboyism is completely retarded it's in part rooted in some ideas that make a small amount of sense.

In this case however people are getting worked up by the fact that other people like playing their games on a different kind of media.

The phrasing of the arguments additionally tends to exaggerate what are minor inconveniences of physical with the process of finding the case or game to play being a 'major hassle' that takes huge amounts of time or 'having heaps of plastic lying around' which isn't a problem for anyone with basic organisation skills.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I very rarely see movies and meals dont cost 30-60 dollars
lol you must be a fun time out / fun date

Ignoring the fact that many (many) (MANY) games are $0-30 ... you can get to the $30-60 range very easily at your non-Applebee's and non-Olive Garden restaurants. An entree, drink, tax, and tip at a solid restaurant will easily put you in that range.

Its even more ridiculous to compare sustenance to entertainment.

If you're going out to a restaurant, it's no longer about sustenance. You can be entertained by a meal. You can be surprised and delighted by a meal. A great meal at a restaurant is an experience.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The tone described by the OP in digital/physical threads definitely does exist.

Personally I find it weird because whilst console/platform fanboyism is completely retarded it's in part rooted in some ideas that make a small amount of sense.

In this case however people are getting worked up by the fact that other people like playing their games on a different kind of media.

The phrasing of the arguments additionally tends to exaggerate what are minor inconveniences of physical with the process of finding the case or game to play being a 'major hassle' that takes huge amounts of time or 'having heaps of plastic lying around' which isn't a problem for anyone with basic organisation skills.

The "clutter" is always majorly exaggerated too. A lot of digital only people here seem to be under the impression that everyone has a massive stash of games but in reality most "collections" can be stored in a cupboard or small shelf.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Yes I'll buy the Blu ray or 4K disc instead of going to the cinema by myself or buying it digitally. Comparing to eating at a restaurant is just a stupid comparison.
Lol movies are a popular business that continues to grow so many people don't feel the same as you. Also you're right, games have much more value to someone who does both regularly. I like buying digital and playing games but I cant enjoy any meal at a restaurant as much as I can enjoy a game. But I still like doing both and don't consider either burning money because I can't resell it.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly physical but I dabble in digital. Lately I've been really wanting more accessibility on my Switch, to just open Mario Maker 2 and have a quick look at what's happening for example and then switch back to another game with ease.

But I'm worried about how things will pan out in the future, how will PS5 and Switch 2 handle backwards compatibility? What happens when games get pulled from e-stores?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Lol movies are a popular business that continues to grow so many people don't feel the same as you. Also you're right, games have much more value to someone who does both regularly. I like buying digital and playing games but I cant enjoy any meal at a restaurant as much as I can enjoy a game. But I still like doing both and don't consider either burning money because I can't resell it.

That's why I said by myself. I'll go to the cinema with friends or family because at that point I'm just going as an outing. If I just want to watch the movie I'll just wait and buy it on disc.

The while mindset of food and the way it works is different, can't even compare it. The whole premise of how it's produced, priced and consumed is based on only being able to use it once.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Gamestop going under soon (because lets face it they won't last the year). I do wonder how attractive physical will be going forward for people who relied on trade-ins. Like sure Ebay and Amazon exist and will let you sell your old games but there is a way bigger hurdle than just plunking some games down on a counter and instantly getting some credit going that route.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
This thread really doesn't need the restaurant analogy, it makes no sense.

It's definitely something that irks me, certain people really want everything to be all digital and feel they need to trumpet it as the future, screaming how physical media is doomed from the mountaintops.

I bet the execs at EA/Ubisoft love seeing this. They can charge more, for a product that costs less and has no transferable license.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Just asking for a little more respect towards others' choices...

In every thread about some (digital) game being delisted for whatever reason or simply being missing from current digital platforms, it usually takes 3-4 posts before someone throws a "That's the digital future for you" in there, so it cuts both ways, I guess.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Literally seen physical fanboys call anyone who buys digital lazy and dumb.

This topic is like Fox News war on Christmas.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I do a mix of physical and digital with a great majority of it being the latter. They both have their perks, and I sincerely don't care which anyone prefers. The only major thing going for physical currently besides novelty is the resale/trade factor but I generally buy during sales and don't intend to sell. I did purge a bunch of my gen 6 games last year because they were taking up a lot of space not doing anything but I wasn't motivated by cash, mostly to declutter.

I still prefer buying physical on Switch because I like the form factor of the carts and cases, and Switch hasn't adopted the trend of the other two yet of making the disc little more than physical DRM, so there's some sense of value that I'm actually playing directly from the physical media instead of it being used as an inconvenient disc check.

But I can't buy into this "pushy digital-only people" narrative when you have the kneejerk "so much for the all digital future" reaction to something like a game being delisted or whatever.

I bet the execs at EA/Ubisoft love seeing this. They can charge more, for a product that costs less and has no transferable license.
I can't even remember a time when I got an EA or Ubisoft game for more than $20 and I only get their stuff from Origin or Uplay. I don't think a physical market is what's having them snap their fingers in frustration from being able to jack prices.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As of late I actually do prefer digital as games take up so much space, especially for something i'll typically play once.
However, a lot of deals are still often Physical only (So many full-price KT games that are direct cheap physical) so I know i'll always be in that realm.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 99% digital at this point going forward, but I don't really care how people buy their games. It's only when "physical only" act like the game is essentially cancelled because it's digital exclusive that irks me. You're just locking yourself out of a game you might really enjoy for some arbitrary reason, especially smaller games where a physical print wouldn't be feasible. But I hold my tongue because that response comes from the assumption that external factors would allow them to get digital, which I could be totally wrong on.

There were people here who pretty held physical as if it's a core of their resetera identity, much like some users do with 60fps, those were also kind of annoying sense it never really adds to the discussion, but I don't see the former as often now.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I've gotten used to digital only because I play on PC. Kind of a bizarre topic since it's likely those who want to keep physical games alive are probably more prone to being more pushy. I haven't really met anyone who saysd they want physical games to go away.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
Retrogaming discussion is so swamped in people pirating a million roms on a raspberry pi while gloating about not being some sort of nostalgia sick original hardware hoarder. I suppose the cost of a pi vs the cost of legitimate acquisition of games means it was bound to overshadow other discussion.

Collecting games or consoles or even just preferring not to use emulators is treated as some sort of illness or inability to grow up and the constant suggesstion/implication is that we should all just buy raspberry pis.

Oct 25, 2017
Physical is good for games you don't care to keep. Like I'll prob be picking up FF7 physical, playing it, and then trading it towards Nioh 2.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, I think this is probably a case of confirmation bias at work, OP -- if you prefer physical media, you might be more sensitive to comments that you perceive to be anti-physical media.

I'm a mostly digital media person (all digital when it comes to modern games), so I notice a lot more "where's the physical copy???," "I'll only buy it if it gets a physical release," "wish it had a physical release" type of posts than anyone pushing other people to go digital. So that's probably my confirmation bias at work.

But if I'm being as objective as possible, I don't really see anyone shitting on anyone else because of format choices in any significant way. Just people expressing their preferences, which is fine.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with physical games in 2020 is that, maybe outside of Nintendo games, they're incomplete unless connected to the internet. Like, in all honesty, we're pretty close to "physical" games becoming just a key card in a box, and I don't look forward to that future...but it's coming.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do what you like while it lasts.

But my personal opinion is that the less plastic the better.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Just go digital OP, what's wrong with you

My only issue with physical games in 2020 is that, maybe outside of Nintendo games, they're incomplete unless connected to the internet. Like, in all honesty, we're pretty close to "physical" games becoming just a key card in a box, and I don't look forward to that future...but it's coming.
Yup the disc is becoming a key code with only difference that this key code isn't bound to your account but you can take it out, give it to a friend etc.

Oct 27, 2017
please keep in mind that the vast majority don't care at all and think everyone should just do what they prefer according to their situation, we just don't have any reason to speak up to make this point, you do you