• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 2, 2018
Before everyone goes crazy, digital games can be absolutely worth it. There is the ease of access and a lot of times they cost less.

However, when companies try to sell digital games for full price (I look at you Nintendo) I feel like I am being scammed.

With psychical copies I can resell my games. Imagine being low on cash. You can just sell your games. With digital games these are tied to your account.

And then there is game sharing. I love passing my finished games to my nephew. It makes him happy because he gets to play we more games.

Digital games on PC are awesome. Steam has so many great deals that it's not even worth it anymore to get physical copies.

I guess what I'm saying is that digital games needs to be cheaper because of no resell value and no ability to share.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
Resell value and ability to share are not things that game companies want you to be doing with your games, nor do they figure into the actual cost of the games themselves, thus the parity between physical and digital games.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to be cheaper. You want them to be cheaper. But you don't have to buy them. And you know exactly what you're getting before you buy, which would make it exactly not a scam.

If you don't think a digital game is worth the price someone is charging, then don't pay for it.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It sounds more like you are just saying that Digital Games aren't worth it on Nintendo platforms, and I'd agree.

On Xbox, with one copy of a play anywhere game, I can play on Xbox and PC, across 10 different PCs, or four PCs and two Xbox's at the same time. This also works with gamepass, I've been playing sea of Thieves on two PCs with my wife in co-op since launch with a single account. For Steam, you can also activate your library across 5 different PCs for other family or friends to use.

This doesn't even mention how your Steam and xbox games will work on future systems for years down the line, so keeping your login info means you can never lose your games. I'm always mindful that my Nintendo library will forever be tied to a single system, and will likely one day be useless to me.

Definitely better to go Physical on Nintendo.

OP
OP
Jan 2, 2018
They don't need to be cheaper. You want them to be cheaper. But you don't have to buy them. And you know exactly what you're getting before you buy, which would make it exactly not a scam.

If you don't think a digital game is worth the price someone is charging, then don't pay for it.

I agree with you I don't need to buy them. But you and I know we are heading for a digital only future which is why as videogame lovers this discussion is good to have.

Scam is perhaps not the right word.

OP
OP
Jan 2, 2018
It sounds more like you are just saying that Digital Games aren't worth it on Nintendo platforms, and I'd agree.

On Xbox, with one copy of a play anywhere game, I can play on Xbox and PC, across 10 different PCs, or four PCs and two Xbox's at the same time. This also works with gamepass, I've been playing sea of Thieves on two PCs with my wife in co-op since launch with a single account. For Steam, you can also activate your library across 5 different PCs for other family or friends to use.

This doesn't even mention how your Steam and xbox games will work on future systems for years down the line, so keeping your login info means you can never lose your games. I'm always mindful that my Nintendo library will forever be tied to a single system, and will likely one day be useless to me.

Definitely better to go Physical on Nintendo.

Now these thInge sound great! Looks like it's mostly Nintendo and Sony.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
"Digital games on PC are awesome. Steam has so many great deals that it's not even worth it anymore to get physical copies. "

All digital games on steam start at full price, too...

The same sales you're praising Steam for come to consoles as well lol

Just be patient.

OP
OP
Jan 2, 2018
"Digital games on PC are awesome. Steam has so many great deals that it's not even worth it anymore to get physical copies. "

Just be patient.

Depending on the game. But I got a lot of games cheaper on launch. Comparing keys helps.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I honestly think used games are as bad as grey market cd keys.

ATM I exclusively game on PC and its digital only for me. I cant imagine playing with a bazillion dvds to change games, install etc. My last two builds didnt even have a dvd/bluray drive because I dont need it. Obviously I have a pretty great internet connection so I get that someone with lower speeds/data caps will feel differently.

OP
OP
Jan 2, 2018
I honestly think used games are as bad as grey market cd keys.

ATM I exclusively game on PC and its digital only for me. I cant imagine playing with a bazillion dvds to change games, install etc. My last two builds didnt even have a dvd/bluray drive because I dont need it. Obviously I have a pretty great internet connection so I get that someone with lower speeds/data caps will feel differently.

On PC I am digital only as well. I guess this thread was mostly for console and primarily Nintendo. I had look at their eShop last night and that made me make this thread. I haven't touched my PS4 for months so I don't know if that has changed.

Oct 27, 2017
Never pay full price on digital unless there's no other option (or is impractical), and I say this as a primarily digital user.

The thing with digital is that you need the patience of a monk if you're not made of money, or dont care about the disadvantages.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And then there is game sharing. I love passing my finished games to my nephew. It makes him happy because he gets to play we more games.
This is way better with digital where you can "game share" with a friend and both be playing the same game at the same time. Even online together, if you want. All three consoles can do this.

On PC I am digital only as well. I guess this thread was mostly for console and primarily Nintendo. I had look at their eShop last night and that made me make this thread. I haven't touched my PS4 for months so I don't know if that has changed.
Nintendo pricing is just horrible in general. They're nowhere near the level of MS and Sony when it comes to digital. The digital sale prices on PSN and XBL rival or surpass Steam sales these days.

That said, you do get the 5% cash back on all eShop purchases. Often 10% for first party pre-orders.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I would rather pay more for a digital game, than buy a physical copy. I feel like the act of sharing and trading in games is wrong towards the developers, and I want my money to go to them and do not care to support the used game market.

If I am buying a physical copy, then it's usually for a huge collectors edition.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you I don't need to buy them. But you and I know we are heading for a digital only future which is why as videogame lovers this discussion is good to have.

Scam is perhaps not the right word.

For sure. I think it would be good business for Nintendo to offer family sharing specifically because it could encourage more digital sales that would eliminate used sales. If we're not talking "scam" and just criticizing Nintendo, I'm with you.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first and the last digital only game I bought at the full price was Half-Life 2.

I will never do it again.

Once physical games are history, I'll only play old games I guess.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
For sure. I think it would be good business for Nintendo to offer family sharing specifically because it could encourage more digital sales that would eliminate used sales. If we're not talking "scam" and just criticizing Nintendo, I'm with you.

You do know that it is possible to share digital games with the Switch, right? (I think both of you don't :-))

Last edited:

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I buy games to play, not to sell as I'm not a pawnshop, and not to pass around to other people because if they want it they can buy it themselves. I'm an adult. If you want more functionality out of your game than simply playing it as the good lord intended then you can buy physical. It doesn't make digital a scam; again, the purpose of a game is to be played. If you can play it then it isn't a scam.

If I want to share a game with my nieces I bring the switch to their house and we play together.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Digital games allow me to share every game I purchase with a friend... They also allow me to have a gigantic library of games immediately available to me and the only space they take up is a small HDD attached to the console.

There are benefits to digital games as well.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still prefer buying digitally. I'm patient enough to wait for sales.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You can actually share digital games on PC, as well as Switch and PS4. I can't say anything about XBox as I don't have one.

But yeah, buying digital games day 1 is super expensive. You can still regain some of the money you've paid for a physical game by selling it, but not for digital.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I tend to agree; but then I realized I never resell any of my games. I've I think resold 2 over the course of my gaming life of 30 years. Also I find when I loan out my games I never get them back or get them back in poor condition. So, not really worth it in that respect either.

With that in mind this gen I am going all digital with the Switch and so far it's been great. I don't like switching out cartridges or worrying about transporting them with me whenever I want to take my Switch some place.

I think the only game I will get a physical copy of will be Animal Crossing on Switch. But I'll probably get the digital version to play and the physical copy just because I'm that much of an Animal Crossing fanboy.

But other than that I'm enjoying going all digital so far; but I could definitely see how it's not for everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, don't buy a digital game brand new! Wait for it to go on sale. Most big games end up 25-50% off within a month, maybe two months after release. If you're really patient and can wait a few more months you can bump that up to 60-80%, and digital sales tend to be deeper than physical ones from what I've seen.

Nintendo stuff is another story, but even they've been way more generous than I expected them to be with digital sales this year. Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 were on sale for $40 digitally at least a couple times. You just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

Nov 1, 2017

Surely you have the ability to read the OP and understand that the focus is not on the word "scam" but rather a discussion on price parity between digital and physical goods? Nothing needs to be cheaper or more expensive than it already is but there are absolutely savings on manufacturing, shipping, and stocking products.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
As I've gotten older I've found the process of getting little from places like GameStop or dealing with craigslist such a hassle and not worth my time that going digital has been great for me. Of course the only full price games I get tend to be from Nintendo with smash being the first in a while since I primarily play on pc and wait for sales for most ps games.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly didn't know! I understand why Nintendo is not promoting this. Thanks for the heads up.
By the way, there's a lot of misinformation/misunderstanding about how this feature works on the Switch, which is why I didn't link any specific thread from here about this. Bottom line is, I can play a game online with my daughter (each with their own Switch) with a single digital copy of the game (local co op with 2 Switches and a single copy is not possible though, I think).

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what system you use, but game sharing (or in PS3 and 4's case account sharing) is the biggest reason me and a friend moved to digital exclusively. Day one half price, pre-loaded and ready to go, no disc swapping, no physical storing space required and less plastic packaging on my conscience.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I don't buy single player or one and done type AAA games digitally unless they have a deep discount. BotW and Odyssey will have to be sub ÂŁ20 before I even think about it. That will probably never happen so eventually I imagine I'll just rent them.

When consoles go all digital virtually everything I buy will be indie I guess.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Scam isn't the right word but I get what you're trying to say OP.

I love digital even if I dislike the pricing for older games that we can buy far, far cheaper at a retailer physically.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Resell value and ability to share are not things that game companies want you to be doing with your games, nor do they figure into the actual cost of the games themselves, thus the parity between physical and digital games.
Retailers don't like it when a game is cheaper on digital stores than on their shelf. And game companies want that their games get a good spot on the shelves. If you want to gift a game as a Christmas present you will rather buy the game itself than a PSN Card.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's a simple tradeoff. Why should they be cheaper if people value ease of access more than they value the ability to resell? Some people never resell their games and prefer a minimalist household (no piles of game cases) so in their eyes, wouldn't it make sense for brand new physical copies to be cheaper?

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would rather pay more for a digital game, than buy a physical copy. I feel like the act of sharing and trading in games is wrong towards the developers, and I want my money to go to them and do not care to support the used game market.

If I am buying a physical copy, then it's usually for a huge collectors edition.

Haha, what? It's your property, you could and should be able to do with it as you wish.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I keep thinking digital games are better but I always end up buying the physical version, the thought of not being able to sell the games and having to wait for the download kills the digital version for me.

Yeah I know, with physical version you still have to wait for the update but at least it's just the update.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
At least Nintendo gives 5% back (10% in case of first party pre orders - I wonder if they give that option to other publishers).
But yeah it kinda feels like a scam paying more for less.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

Just be patient.

Only ostensibly. Steam's key distribution model allows third parties like Humble, Green, etc to preorder and sell brand new titles at fairly significant discounts. Even during sales, third parties and bundles are much cheaper than Steam directly. I don't think I've bought a single game directly from Steam since they discontinued Flashes and Dailys...and I own just shy of 1100 games.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Nintendo pricing is just horrible in general. They're nowhere near the level of MS and Sony when it comes to digital. The digital sale prices on PSN and XBL rival or surpass Steam sales these days.

That said, you do get the 5% cash back on all eShop purchases. Often 10% for first party pre-orders.
How were their digital prices in the first couple of years?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Nintendo's digital games rarely go on sale is very frustrating. For example, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is currently on sale for $40 at most retailers, but is still a full $60 on the eShop and other digital code retailers.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, I can share my digital games with my SO and even play together using the same purchase. So digital wins.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I guess what I'm saying is that digital games needs to be cheaper because of no resell value and no ability to share.
If I want to game share my physical copy of a game to a friend in another state, I have to pay for delivery for it to get there. Then if I want it back, they have to send it back.

If I want to game share my digital copy, we swap primary systems on the account level and, using one purchase of the game, we can both play it simultaneously.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before everyone goes crazy, digital games can be absolutely worth it. There is the ease of access and a lot of times they cost less.

However, when companies try to sell digital games for full price (I look at you Nintendo) I feel like I am being scammed.

With psychical copies I can resell my games. Imagine being low on cash. You can just sell your games. With digital games these are tied to your account.

Digital games on PC are awesome. Steam has so many great deals that it's not even worth it anymore to get physical copies.

The value of the content is all about the experience and now that digital makes sense in today's time they want sales of every experience. The used market has always been a thorn for developers and anyone who invested in making the game but they had to release them in physical form. It will be interesting to see who tries to release a game console first that is digital only.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Nintendo's digital games rarely go on sale is very frustrating. For example, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is currently on sale for $40 at most retailers, but is still a full $60 on the eShop and other digital code retailers.
That has nothing to do with Nintendo, that's Capcom. There are sales on the eShop every single week. That game was on sale on the eShop just recently.