• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I know, just seems crazy to me that the first image is so poor when even consoles manage to put out something similar to the second one.

Yeah, RT isn't necessary for good self-shadowing. You just need a good rendering pipeline and need to make sure the parameters are properly optimized.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Ghost has great art direction and lighting which sell the presentation but the textures(outside of character models) are the most dated I've seen in any recent aaa game. Years behind the curve

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a little confused. How can they make this video without first consulting me?

They are just spitballing here.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Great video, really enjoyed the video. Solid choices. However I need to see Cyberpunk for myself to make a decision on it.

I wish Gears 5: Hivebusters would at least have gotten a mention. It's absolutely stunning.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, RT isn't necessary for good self-shadowing. You just need a good rendering pipeline and need to make sure the parameters are properly optimized.
If I remember it right they only use Screen space shadows for character accessories like hair, and clothing, as you can see it's the hair self shadow that's missing in that pic but the body itself can cast shadow on the body.

But with that said, screen space shadows is not a new thing for base consoles and it could've very well been implemented atleast for character accessories if they had it properly optimised in the pipeline.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
My sentiments exactly. The big issue for me is that the character self-shadow bias parameter needs to be set to a much lower value in order to provide proper occlusion of light in small cavities like the mouth, eye seams, etc. As it is, the lack of high quality character self-shadowing makes cutscenes look really bad, and for that reason I wouldn't be able to put Cyberpunk at the top.

My personal choice is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Despite the lack of ray-tracing the visual fidelity is just on a whole other level compared to the other games released.
Actually regarding the eye, you can see this problem with the eye when you have RTAO turned on and it's quite dark (The GI at Psycho doesn't really help with it)

No RT:
qjwpxFM.jpg

RTAO+GI
lSjsQTW.jpg

Imo in the above, the non RT one looks considerably better even if a bit less accurate, also notice the light leak on the top part of the yellow bar which is on the inside of the car. Then you have cases like below where the non RT ver looks totally wrong and overly lit, but RT version still has the weird eye problem

No RT
i8QAC0a.jpg

RTAO+GI:
RDya0Hx.png

But then you have cases where RT really really works (can't see the eye here, but since it's not super dark it didn't have the glow problem here)

RT off:
HJtnlEk.jpg

RTAO+GI
mp8MaxF.png

Game also frequently omits character parts from the BVH like this. At first I assumed maybe it's cause the missing parts are metal parts and may have issues with reflections, but they don't really do secondary reflection anyway. Plus the arms are covered in a coat, which is omitted from BVH as well. It's not really among the best RT reflection implementations imo, Control has it better and obviously Watch Dogs legion.
cCufObZ.png

7hZIVOS.jpg

It also does this weird thing where it enables certain SSR only when RT is on, but disables the SSR if you turn off RT...like what's the point of disabling the SSR, and why link it to RT here if 90% of that particular reflection is SSR anyway. All in all I don't think RT in this game is as "perfect" and "complete" as some may pass it off to be. The GI itself while good in most cases has flaws and but even then it's not a game changing look like Metro 2033. Overall I'd still say Control is the RT king because of its "completeness"

Last edited:

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
The use of RT appears to be the primary consideration for this list. Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't look as great in motion when you factor in things like NPC animations.

Cyberpunk falls apart as soon as you start moving and see some of these animations and player shadows. I'd have it way down the list just for that.

Yup, this.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Miles is too high. Demon's Souls and Flight Sim are too low. I'm guessing Hivebusters came out too late or they just don't count DLC.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Cyberpunk, Demon's Souls and Doom Eternal would be my top 3. But great choices.

Demon's Souls is underrated right now because obviously not many people have gotten the chance to try it. It's absolutely gorgeous.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Actually regarding the eye, you can see this problem with the eye when you have RTAO turned on and it's quite dark (The GI at Psycho doesn't really help with it)

No RT:
qjwpxFM.jpg

RTAO+GI
lSjsQTW.jpg

Imo in the above, the non RT one looks considerably better even if a bit less accurate, also notice the light leak on the top part of the yellow bar which is on the inside of the car. Then you have cases like below where the non RT ver looks totally wrong and overly lit, but RT version still has the weird eye problem

No RT
i8QAC0a.jpg

RTAO+GI:
RDya0Hx.png

But then you have cases where RT really really works (can't see the eye here, but since it's not super dark it didn't have the glow problem here)

RT off:
HJtnlEk.jpg

RTAO+GI
mp8MaxF.png

Game also frequently omits character parts from the BVH like this. At first I assumed maybe it's cause the missing parts are metal parts and may have issues with reflections, but they don't really do secondary reflection anyway. Plus the arms are covered in a coat, which is omitted from BVH as well. It's not really among the best RT reflection implementations imo, Control has it better and obviously Watch Dogs legion.
cCufObZ.png

7hZIVOS.jpg

It also does this weird thing where it enables certain SSR only when RT is on, but disables the SSR if you turn off RT...like what's the point of disabling the SSR, and why link it to RT here if 90% of that particular reflection is SSR anyway. All in all I don't think RT in this game is as "perfect" and "complete" as some may pass it off to be. The GI itself while good in most cases has flaws and but even then it's not a game changing look like Metro 2033. Overall I'd still say Control is the RT king because of its "completeness"

Yeah, the ray-tracing effects are going to make the inaccurate fresnel/cornea reflections stand out even more. Regardless, small cavities that are supposed to be in shadow are not handled well in this game, with or without ray-tracing.

I agree that Control does a better job at tying everything together.

Something that needs to be understood about real-time ray-tracing in current games is that performance still has to be taken into consideration, so you're not going to be getting offline quality reflections/shadows/GI in RTX games right now. While ray-tracing as a feature has a ton of potential, it can also look not so great when it needs to be performant. It's actually really disappointing to see how much has been omitted in the BVH for Cyberpunk, and prevents me from being too impressed with the reflections in the game, even at pyscho quality.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
In my eyes, for last gen, there is no question. Last of Us Part II easily. Start of this? Well, I still haven't played Demon's Souls or Miles, but Cyberpunk on my rig (which is quite a monster) is about as good as it gets!

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played all these, but have played TLoU2, Demons Souls and Miles. At times and during big set pieces, fights and cut scenes Miles can look incredible, but yeah at times a bit inconsistent. But Demons Souls environments are just amazingly cool at many times and TLoU2 is just on another level, especially for last gen. Though I suppose it lacks a bit of variety of some of the other games.
Anyways, personally I would bump TLoU2 and Demons souls up a bit and maybe miles down.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'll have to watch this tomorrow morning.

No question about it, though: 2020 had some truly gorgeous games. I have no objections to anything on the list.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Awesome, watching now.

I wasn't as blown away by Miles Morales graphically speaking. Whilst it can look incredible in places, I felt it was a bit inconsistent visually, especially at certain times of day like night time where it just looked a bit average. The city scape from up very-high can also look a tad geometrically gamey in places if that makes sense. It's like the buildings needed more shading or SSAO or something.

Weirdly, I'm actually finding Assassin's Creed Valhalla a tad more impressive graphically (though it too is quite inconsistent looking). Though it lacks RT, it runs at a pretty much locked 60fps on next-gen consoles, and has an impressive degree of detail and scale.

As a combination of both art, tech, animations and general visuals, my personal list would be;

10 - Ori and the Will of the Wisps / Dreams
9. Final Fantasy VII Remake
8 - Doom Eternal
7 - Ghost of Tsushima
6 - Spider-Man Miles Morales
5 - Assassin's Creed Valhalla
4 - Cyberpunk 2077 (PS5/XSX)
3 - MS Flight Simulator
2 - Demon's Souls
1 - The Last of Us Part II
Yep. This list makes way more sense. Nice job.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Flight sim looks the closest to reality with no caveats. With the caveat of having humans traversing an environment, TLOU 2 is the closest to reality. Both are incredibly consistent and rarely have moments where the illusion crumbles. Those would probably be #1 and 2 on my list. Not sure which id put first.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Flight sim looks the closest to reality with no caveats. With the caveat of having humans traversing an environment, TLOU 2 is the closest to reality. Both are incredibly consistent and rarely have moments where the illusion crumbles. Those would probably be #1 and 2 on my list. Not sure which id put first.
I mean the caveat is getting close enough to the ground.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Do you disagree that an avg person would almost certainly find Flight sim to be the most realistic looking game if they watched a few mins of typical gameplay footage of all the games on this list? Of course its much easier to simulate reality at further distances and when not having to render humans in locomotion through an environment. That is what I meant by caveats.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

To be fair, that's a caveat in almost every game. In any game there will be a point where the camera is so close that the asset quality begins to fall apart, depending on what viewing distance they were optimized for. You have to draw the line somewhere, based on gameplay expectations.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how a game like FF7 remake gets in over a game like Resident Evil 3 remake, FF7r looks fucking terrible compared to RE3r. FF7 was the biggest shocker for me, because that game can also be in the category of worst looking games..

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Do you disagree that an avg person would almost certainly find Flight sim to be the most realistic looking game if they watched a few mins of typical gameplay footage of all the games on this list? Of course its much easier to simulate reality at further distances and when not having to render humans in locomotion through an environment. That is what I meant by caveats.
To be fair, that's a caveat in almost every game. In any game there will be a point where the camera is so close that the asset quality begins to fall apart, depending on what viewing distance they were optimized for. You have to draw the line somewhere, based on gameplay expectations.
Oh it absolutely looks fucking real in normal gameplay circumstances. The average person likely would not know it's a game. But it's not 100 percent there yet. Reality doesn't break when you get close to it.

It's still astonishing visually.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I don't know how a game like FF7 remake gets in over a game like Resident Evil 3 remake, FF7r looks fucking terrible compared to RE3r. FF7 was the biggest shocker for me, because that game can also be in the category of worst looking games..
FF7R was such an insanely inconsistent game visually. Some moments would look like a CG cutscene, others looked like it fell out of the early Xbox 360 era. Some of the environmental textures and geometry, fuckin woof.

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake and Cyberpunk are the very definition of inconsistent, visually speaking. Sometimes they look great, other times they look terrible.

When I look at how consistently great games like The Last of Us Part II look, or Red Dead Redemption 2 from a couple of years back, there's no way I could put FFVIIR or CP2077 anywhere near the top of the list.

Moby

Oct 28, 2017
I still think it's ridiculous the level Naughty Dog hit with PS4 pro hardware, I mean the only others that I would consider in the same ballpark is Flight Simulator and Cyberpunk and they both only hit that level with a higher end pc setup.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Awesome, watching now.

I wasn't as blown away by Miles Morales graphically speaking. Whilst it can look incredible in places, I felt it was a bit inconsistent visually, especially at certain times of day like night time where it just looked a bit average. The city scape from up very-high can also look a tad geometrically gamey in places if that makes sense. It's like the buildings needed more shading or SSAO or something.

Weirdly, I'm actually finding Assassin's Creed Valhalla a tad more impressive graphically (though it too is quite inconsistent looking). Though it lacks RT, it runs at a pretty much locked 60fps on next-gen consoles, and has an impressive degree of detail and scale.

As a combination of both art, tech, animations and general visuals, my personal list would be;

10 - Ori and the Will of the Wisps / Dreams
9. Final Fantasy VII Remake
8 - Doom Eternal
7 - Ghost of Tsushima
6 - Spider-Man Miles Morales
5 - Assassin's Creed Valhalla
4 - Cyberpunk 2077 (PS5/XSX)
3 - MS Flight Simulator
2 - Demon's Souls
1 - The Last of Us Part II

Now THIS is a list!

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Can't argue with that list, Cyberpunk really is incredible to look at and probably the best game I've seen on PC, I'm amazed everytime I play it. Driving around the city at night is so good. I don't think an open world game has been done with this level of detail before.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Yeah, the ray-tracing effects are going to make the inaccurate fresnel/cornea reflections stand out even more. Regardless, small cavities that are supposed to be in shadow are not handled well in this game, with or without ray-tracing.

I agree that Control does a better job at tying everything together.

Something that needs to be understood about real-time ray-tracing in current games is that performance still has to be taken into consideration, so you're not going to be getting offline quality reflections/shadows/GI in RTX games right now. While ray-tracing as a feature has a ton of potential, it can also look not so great when it needs to be performant. It's actually really disappointing to see how much has been omitted in the BVH for Cyberpunk, and prevents me from being too impressed with the reflections in the game, even at pyscho quality.

Speaking of RT needing to be performant, does the fact that most RT effects in games only use a single bounce for calculations problematic?

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
For all of it's identity and logistical problems I think The Avengers looks stunning visually. The game running on the Series X/PS5 looks phenomenal and I can only imagine how good the next gen upgrade will be.

And Ghost of Tsushima running on the PS5 is nothing short of stunning. It could easily pass for a next gen game.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know how anyone can look at Cyberpunk on a capable PC with RT on and come away being not impressed at all. Of course with a game of that scope it's not going to look as consistently good as something like TLOU 2 but as an overall package it's hard to top. Just the many female NPCs in the game look ludicrously good and better than anything I've seen bar a few Capcom RE Engine characters. The normal lighting even without RT looks incredible too.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Speaking of RT needing to be performant, does the fact that most RT effects in games only use a single bounce for calculations problematic?

I mean, it completely depends on what's exactly being bounced. Many ray-tracing GI algorithms use irradiance caching to speed up the process, and there are some nifty things you can do with that information in terms of calculating diffuse interreflection. However, simple single bounce ray-traced GI is not going to look very good compared to offline monte carlo methods. Not even close. I wouldn't necessary call it problematic, but if that was all that when into calculating GI with ray-traced solutions then it wouldn't be very noticeable.

Thankfully, most convincing real-time solutions incorporate a lot more than just ray bounces into the final result.

EDIT:

As for non-GI ray-tracing, it depends. Shadows use shadow rays, reflections use reflected rays, etc. If you want really accurate reflections, you're gonna want more than one bounce, but ultimately what determines how many bounces are necessary are the materials the incident rays intersect with.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I hope the next-gen update for CP77 doesn't take forever to get here.

I also wouldn't be expecting miracles with the patch given the next gen consoles(though admittedly unoptimised) can't brute force the last gen version to 60 properly. RT in particular is going to be a struggle especially without DLSS. My 2070 Super can't even hold 1080/30fps properly without it when most of the RT is turned on.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how anyone can look at Cyberpunk on a capable PC with RT on and come away being not impressed at all. Of course with a game of that scope it's not going to look as consistently good as something like TLOU 2 but as an overall package it's hard to top. Just the many female NPCs in the game look ludicrously good and better than anything I've seen bar a few Capcom RE Engine characters. The normal lighting even without RT looks incredible too.

They probably haven't actually seen it running on a good PC. CP2077 and Flight Simulator are true next-gen visuals with a good setup.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Honest question, why is Doom 64 on the honorable mentions? What is it doing that had them impressed?
Attention to technology details. Doom64's art is built around graphical functions that don't come standard on modern hardware, like the N64s three point filtering. We had a whole virtual texture atlas pipeline built just for that shader, cut down the whole geometry rendering into a single draw call because of it as well.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Shouldn't Assassin's Creed be somewhere on the list at least? It's pretty stunning on next gen consoles.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Shouldn't Assassin's Creed be somewhere on the list at least? It's pretty stunning on next gen consoles.

Not really, it's still running the same engine as Origins from 2016 with some minor upgrades at best. You could argue it looks worse than the last 2 games in the franchise. Animation wise it is incredibly dated now by AAA standards.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not really, it's still running the same engine as Origins from 2016 with some minor upgrades at best. You could argue it looks worse than the last 2 games in the franchise. Animation wise it is incredibly dated now by AAA standards.

I agree, but all these games have their flaws imo. Overall it's an impressive looking game with high framerate. I'd at least put it above Ori, which in the end is a simple 2D game.