• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
9 - Minecraft RTX
8 - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
7 - Doom Eternal
6 - Demon's Souls
5 - The Last of Us Part II
4 - Half Life Alyx
3 - MS Flight Simulator
2 - Spider-Man Miles Morales
1 - Cyberpunk 2077

Honorable mentions:

- Dreams
- Teardown
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- CoD Cold War
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Doom 64

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
50 min

XwI9wHq.gif

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I respect their opinions but I completely disagree with Cyberpunk having the best graphics even on a PC with a 3080/3090 with RT on. The game looks stiff because of poor animations which I personally consider to matter when looking at graphics. I personally find the slenderman looking shadow for the protagonist completely unsettling and immersion braking, rather they not have given V a shadow in the first place.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Miles on the base PS4 even is ridiculous. Easily the best looking game on the console.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 looks amazing on my PC but I still feel like I can squeeze more from it compared to some of the videos I see online.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put tlou2 and demon's souls higher on the list, and lower miles. Otherwise, good list.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wouldn't say there was a overall graphics king this year, some games clearly are ahead in some aspects, TLOU2 & FF7R for cutscenes, Cyberpunk for density, Flight Sim for scale, Demons Souls for poly-count. (yes, poly-count still matters imo, it's noticeable compared to Dark Souls 3)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, watching now.

I wasn't as blown away by Miles Morales graphically speaking. Whilst it can look incredible in places, I felt it was a bit inconsistent visually, especially at certain times of day like night time where it just looked a bit average. The city scape from up very-high can also look a tad geometrically gamey in places if that makes sense. It's like the buildings needed more shading or SSAO or something.

Weirdly, I'm actually finding Assassin's Creed Valhalla a tad more impressive graphically (though it too is quite inconsistent looking). Though it lacks RT, it runs at a pretty much locked 60fps on next-gen consoles, and has an impressive degree of detail and scale.

As a combination of both art, tech, animations and general visuals, my personal list would be;

10 - Ori and the Will of the Wisps / Dreams
9. Final Fantasy VII Remake
8 - Doom Eternal
7 - Ghost of Tsushima
6 - Spider-Man Miles Morales
5 - Assassin's Creed Valhalla
4 - Cyberpunk 2077 (PS5/XSX)
3 - MS Flight Simulator
2 - Demon's Souls
1 - The Last of Us Part II

Last edited:

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Miles Morales looks insane, especially in motion at 60 fps. Absolutely well deserved.

However the list is missing the true No. 1.

Week-of-September-28-Project-Oct-5-2020-at-3_48-PM-506x900.png
art/visual design carried that game but graphics-wise it was pretty average especially with all the copy pasted stuff 🤷‍♂️

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
Demon's Souls is probably the best looking game I've ever played. Haven't tried all the others on their list, though.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
art/visual design carried that game but graphics-wise it was pretty average especially with all the copy pasted stuff 🤷‍♂️

Yet it was the best looking game I've seen. Nice downplaying though, almost would have worked, if you weren't talking to me of course.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Nice list...not sure I would have miles at number 2 tho. Would move Demon's Souls higher.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
MM is it for me, 60 fps with RT is amazing, and it's one of the cleanest looking games I've ever seen. Tlou2 looks great in parts and kind of flat in others, but I'm interested to see what they add in its next gen gen update.

and honestly cyberpunk on the ps5 I think looks great for a 60fps game, can't wait to see the true next gen patch

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk really is a looker if nothing else. I catch myself walking back and forth across puddles and glass panes just to see the reflections in them.

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Cyperpunk 2077 definitely deserve the top spot. It just sucks you need a expensive PC to get those visuals. If you do have a top of line PC you in for a treat!

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
No got in the top 10 is really surprising. Also, demon souls not in the top 3 is strange. Its much better than miles morales. Its the only game taking proper advantage of ps5

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
GoT not making top 10 is surprising. Game looks amazing on PS5 at 60fps.

I wouldn't say it's that surprising coming from a tech focused group. 9 of the 10 picks are top tier tech driven games visually speaking.

GoT looks very very good but alot of that has to do with great artistic style moreso than in comparison to most of this list. It's obvious environmental complexity and detail takes a backseat here to allow for more foliage and more detailed characters.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't expect Alyx to be a graphical showcase, given the modest system requirements. I guess Valve hasn't lost their touch.

I know it's not a technical marvel by any means so I don't expect it in this list, but I loved the look of Inmost. Their approach to lighting was really interesting and completely unexpected:

Cyberpunk with full up RT looks like a sneak preview into the future. I underestimated the importance of realistic lighting when it comes to grounding you in a place. Hopefully VR games can join in on that action too, sooner than later. I think it's the secret sauce for photorealism next gen.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Damn it, I knew I should've picked up Doom 64 when it was $1.49 on PSN a couple days ago.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Honest question, why is Doom 64 on the honorable mentions? What is it doing that had them impressed?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I wouldn't say it's that surprising coming from a tech focused group. 9 of the 10 picks are top tier tech driven games visually speaking.

GoT looks very very good but alot of that has to do with great artistic style moreso than in comparison to most of this list. It's obvious environmental complexity and detail takes a backseat here to allow for more foliage and more detailed characters.

Ok yeah that's a good point, this is more technical than artistic, etc.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
In terms of animation and details Last of Us is miles ahead of everything.

I didn't understand Miles Morales on the list it isn't even comparable to last of us 2.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Great list that is hard to argue with. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with Cyberpunk but with a high end PC it looks incredible.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think it's just artistic, I just think they prioritised different tech elements. Incredibly dense and free flowing foliage that spans huge distances is still technically demanding, and honestly it's hugely effective. It makes some of the landscapes and rural locations in Assassin's Creed Valhalla look and feel a bit lifeless in comparison.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
They're basically spot on... maaaybe would've swapped Doom Eternal and DeS, but they clearly deliberated and spent a long time talking about Eternal.

No got in the top 10 is really surprising. Also, demon souls not in the top 3 is strange. Its much better than miles morales. Its the only game taking proper advantage of ps5

Lol, DeS doesn't even have RT, how is that proper advantage of the PS5... also they addressed GoT right there in the video.

Oct 25, 2017
They are absolutely right cp not even max hits on high with rt looks like fucking photos sometimes no joke it's incredible and the new benchmark in my eyes

I will rebuy it once everything has been fixed but I loved what I played just too buggy

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Miles Morales ahead of TLOU2 and Demon's Souls is kinda weird to me. It looks good sure, but I am far more impressed by the others.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Cyperpunk 2077 definitely deserve the top spot. It just sucks you need a expensive PC to get those visuals. If you do have a top of line PC you in for a treat!
Technically, all you need is a copy of the PC version and a Geforce Now membership.

Plus, high end gaming gear is like some kind of post apocalyptic currency now. It's even worse than the mining craze.