• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not. It builds on top of the voxel based GI they made for Quantum Break. It looks much better than what's there with it off, but it isn't as precise as what Metro does. As I understood DFs explanation, Control adds an RT step to its GI but Metro's GI is 100% RT (if you enable the option) start to finish.

Could they patch their RT systems into Quantum Break or would it be a huge undertaking with little return?

I was under the impression that one of the huge upsides of Ray Tracing was that it was just enabled and everything happened organically with it interacting with PBR materials and real time shadows meaning no need for artists and engineers pouring over art and trying to match it in game with baked lighting / shadows.

Sorry for dp.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't exactly know what it is about Metro games but they've never quite looked as good to me despite them pushing absurd amount of tech for their time. I think it's the general unevenness of the assets that makes it so, there'd be a highly detailed asset right next to a poor blobby asset. Ground/Environment textures too have often looked very game-y and their diffusion/reflectivity has often seen quite off to me...this is especially true for Exodus for me.

Could they patch their RT systems into Quantum Break or would it be a huge undertaking with little return?

I was under the impression that one of the huge upsides of Ray Tracing was that it was just enabled and everything happened organically with it interacting with PBR materials and real time shadows meaning no need for artists and engineers pouring over art and trying to match it in game with baked lighting / shadows.

Sorry for dp.
Could but it's not practical if their original GI solution is tied into the lighting solution itself, which if it is then they'll have to redo the lighting...hence not practical.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019
I can't speak on Metro, but as I just finished Death Stranding yesterday after 45.5 hours I can for sure vouch for it as the GOAT of graphics for this generation. Will be hard for ND to surpass what Kojima/Decima engine was able accomplish. The game looks incredible and plays incredible (minus a few setbacks....I personally was not a fan of the vehicle handling).

But yes, Death Stranding is without a doubt the current graphics king. The only thing I can see coming close, or possibly surpassing it, will be The Last of Us ll.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Your obsession with geometric detail is astounding, as if there's no other elements that make a game look good.

Well it is one of the elements that could use a major boost next gen. I think Gears 5 for instance has perhaps more consistent texture detail, but DS is a much bigger game in terms of spatial scale. However, I just felt that how DS handled terrain geometry is a hint at next gen. You can see the Hellblade 2 trailer expands on that. I also, think games like Uncharted 4 had fairly blocky terrain geometry.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great choices but I don't know why I am never impressed by Either Metro exodus or gears 5.

Metro exodus is supposed to have this great rasterised GI but it looks very unnatural in game. I even prefer to turn of RTX effect in this game.Also assume textures and modelling are underwhelming.

Gears on the other hand have great textures ,models and effects but it's sacrificing a lot to get to high FPS and resolution. Those high effects are mostly non interactive. The whole world lack physics. Everything feels very very static like it's painted on the world. And those jarring lighting changes when you go indoors breaks every illusion
I think Gears has interactions where it matters. Scenery chips, ice breaks and some objects move. It's fair static overall but so what? It doesn't need much more for the type of game it is.

Those are exactly the kind of sacrifices that make sense when targeting 60fps on console with those weak CPUs.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I have played only a few hours of DS so far, but looking at the phenomenal quality of the environments, I can't help but wonder what an evolution of Decima will look like on PS5 with Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think Gears has interactions where it matters. Scenery chips, ice breaks and some objects move. It's fair static overall but so what? It doesn't need much more for the type of game it is.

Those are exactly the kind of sacrifices that make sense when targeting 60fps on console with those weak CPUs.
Gears should be commended for the 60fps.
I firmly believe that even the most simplistic graphics are elevated massively by a good frame rate.
And it's why many old 2D games hold up so well and why many early 3D games do not.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017

I completely agree they made right sacrifices to Achieve 60fps. I think it's just I prefer my games to be more interactive. When you have limited kind of bullet holes or half of the geometry doesn't even react to shooting or explosions it breaks the illusion for me. Similarly the storms which I expected to dynamic are just trigger which occur at same place in same pattern.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I love how John highlited Alex is a Friend and colleague. Guess he must have read the comments from their last video.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry I barely agree with any of those games .
Gears 5 was better than those. Limited Software ray tracing, insane performance at a high resolution.
Death stranding had those insane world bending encounters.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gears 5 was better than those. Limited Software ray tracing, insane performance at a high resolution.
Better than what? Gears 5 was number 2 and DS was number 1.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
ChillyLonelyIndigobunting-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

COD is disgustingly slept on. Looks god damn amazing, photoreal even. Click play.

Yeah the SP blew me away as far as graphics go. Playing this on my Pro was a treat.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Damn thinking of getting Modern Warfare just for the SP. How long is the campaign? And how is it on the hardest difficulty? Is it just grenade hell?

bradonis

Aug 15, 2019
ChillyLonelyIndigobunting-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

COD is disgustingly slept on. Looks god damn amazing, photoreal even. Click play.

I cannot comprehend how this isn't featured, let alone at the helm! DF what on earth are you doing wow talk about a major oversight for such an esteemed tech review site. Love you guys but you dropped the ball here big time and this is unquestionably so, no one can argue that fact. Cod is officially my demo showcase for visual fidelity. 4k hdr on pc is simply mind blowing. Textures are photorealistic and character models during cutscenes are so real - it's eerily photorealistic. Those eyes! The lighting is next Gen how on earth does metro and control beat the unadulterated visual fidelity and immersion cod delivers. Control isn't even hdr so nevermind that lemon. Metro, DS and Gears are next in looks dept all have their own gfx features that impress. But yeah top dog is definately cod I mean you squeezing all that horsepower in a very tight linear space its to be expected. Plus silky smooth framerate. No man guys.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I cannot comprehend how this isn't featured, let alone at the helm! DF what on earth are you doing wow talk about a major oversight for such an esteemed tech review site. Love you guys but you dropped the ball here big time and this is unquestionably so, no one can argue that fact. Cod is officially my demo showcase for visual fidelity. 4k hdr on pc is simply mind blowing. Textures are photorealistic and character models during cutscenes are so real - it's eerily photorealistic. Those eyes! The lighting is next Gen how on earth does metro and control beat the unadulterated visual fidelity and immersion cod delivers. Control isn't even hdr so nevermind that lemon. Metro, DS and Gears are next in looks dept all have their own gfx features that impress. But yeah top dog is definately cod I mean you squeezing all that horsepower in a very tight linear space its to be expected. Plus silky smooth framerate. No man guys.
As always, choices are derived from games we played.

Jan 21, 2019

Will you make a most graphically impressive games of the decade list? I would love to hear your opinion about the games that blew you away the most. Obviously tech is best when late in the console life span but we also get used to a lot of stuff, so early games might have more of a punch.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I really want understand what you guys see on Gears 5 graphics... For me is average at best.

Played on PC Ultra Settings and 1440p
Faces looks really bad, animations really average or poor. A lot of bugs from colision...

Textures really great in some scenarios, really bad on others... The open world parts are really bland

For me this year:

- Modern Warfare, RE 2 and DMC V.

Control looks ok but faces are really weird same on Star Wars.

Metro didn't impress me even with RT.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
COD was overlooked, its one of the best showcases for my OLED in hdr.

Btw I don't know about the rest of you but playing non HDR games is such a downgrade after you are used to it. It's insane, Watch Dogs 2 for example is just crushed blacks and so much lost detail in dark scenes.

HDR > 4k

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Calm down.
It's just one game and there are other great to exceptional looking games that didn't get a mention either as well like Division 2 (toe to toe among the best), Kingdom Hearts 3, Days Gone, Ghost Recon Breakpoint (meh game but incredibly tech), doesn't mean they "dropped the ball".

bradonis

Aug 15, 2019
Calm down.
It's just one game and there are other great to exceptional looking games that didn't get a mention either as well like Division 2 (toe to toe among the best), Kingdom Hearts 3, Days Gone, Ghost Recon Breakpoint (meh game but incredibly tech), doesn't mean they "dropped the ball".
Dude what are you on about and why you jumping to their defence don't be a sheep call it out for what it is...They dropped the ball plain and simple. Objectively, If you gonna feature ace combat, devil may cry plague tale etc in your best game gfx vid and not mention cod then let's call a spade a spade right. The games you refer to, granted, are impressive graphically, but cod is unquestionably a cut above all of those, let alone the others they feature in the vid. Did you even play the COD campaign? Perplexed how anyone that actually played cod would disagree with me. And let's not make a thing here everyone's human and fallable, even DF. There are people here like myself who rely heavily on DFs opinions and invest accordingly and so I'm letting everyone know here that cod should be right up there with the games DF are praising ie DS, Control, metro, gears...this is a fact. DF mistakenly omitted it from their best gfx vid.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dude what are you on about and why you jumping to their defence don't be a sheep call it out for what it is...They dropped the ball plain and simple. Objectively, If you gonna feature ace combat, devil may cry plague tale etc in your best game gfx vid and not mention cod then let's call a spade a spade right. The games you refer to, granted, are impressive graphically, but cod is unquestionably a cut above all of those, let alone the others they feature in the vid. Did you even play the COD campaign? Perplexed how anyone that actually played cod would disagree with me. And let's not make a thing here everyone's human and fallable, even DF. There are people here like myself who rely heavily on DFs opinions and invest accordingly and so I'm letting everyone know here that cod should be right up there with the games DF are praising ie DS, Control, metro, gears...this is a fact. DF mistakenly omitted it from their best gfx vid.
It is almost like we have opinions and can consider things based on them.

There is nothing really objective about our list or it's order.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You might wanna take a breather

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
S H E E P
B I G B R A I N S
O B J E C T I V E T R U T H S

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised to see Days Gone mentioned in here for graphics. If anything, I was actually let down and was expecting a bit better. I'll replay it again though and try to appreciate it some more I guess :P

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised to see Days Gone mentioned in here for graphics. If anything, I was actually let down and was expecting a bit better. I'll replay it again though and try to appreciate it some more I guess :P
It's a bit rough and has noticeable pop ins, but I was surprised by it nonetheless due to its lighting and foliage density. Like I personally find Metro games to be quite rough looking as well and Exodus hasn't changed that, it has this overly diffuse look and textures despite being highly detailed have this blobby look to them that looks weird. But overall the game looks great, and I think so does Days Gone.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
On a side note, Death Stranding's UI drives me crazy, it's so busy. However, the in game graphics are a technical marvel.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to try Metro Exodus after hearing all this praise for it. Solid list, but I gotta agree with folks here, Days Gone keeps impressing me even after spending 125 hours on Death Stranding. The art direction probably helps quite a bit.