• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The ray-traced GI in Metro Exodus is great but it's an achievement that has a lot to thank Nvidia R&D for and the extra iron in your gaming box. A single rendering developer or two probably came up with that GI solution in a reasonable amount of time.
About 4 devs and a year and a lot of changes to how it work to make it run at such a low cost at run time. It is an incredible technical achievement actually and should not just be understood as something easy or a simple switch that Hardware only enables.
They had a huge gdc presentation on it from the 4 devs that I recommend watching.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Detroit: Become Human PC
Control RTX PC
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC
Metro Exodus RTX PC
Gears 5 PC
Death Stranding PS4 PRO

All amazing looking games.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What's your beef with Gears 5? It was indeed one of the best looking games this year.

It's just a joke mate based on your last thread and how Exodus is apparently not impressive at all. Let's be honest I already knew which gand was going to be number on before even looking at your list.

Modern Warfare isn't even mentioned? That game looks insane even without RTX. Definitely a top contender.

I think the art style is generic as fuck but even I get impressed by the visuals just on a plain technical level playing multiplayer and that doesn't even have RTX enabled.

Death Stranding was really bland graphically. I realise that on a technical level it is impressive and the "blandness" was an artistic choice, other games such as Gears 5 impressed me more.

This comment remind me of the person in the other thread who loves Gears 5 but somehow finds God of War too "violent" and UC4 too "bullet spongey".

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is my pick too, one of the generation's best looking games and the best character models in the business.

KJP managed to deliver a vast, interactive open world without any major bugs in just 3 years ... unbelievable.

Oct 27, 2017
Lighting effects? Pretty Standard tech there AFAIK and can see.

Yeah, but we're talking 'best graphics' not 'most pioneering tech', so it's of no relevance how standard the techniques on display are. Standard lighting tech maybe, but combined with the lovely effects and the frankly stellar texturing, viewed holistically Days Gone has some of the best graphics in any game in recent years. It's beautiful and doesn't sound like it even got a mention (haven't watched the video though, so I might be wrong - going off the comments in this thread). I mean I don't recall seeing real-time snow build up before, that alone is a talking point.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with John. Death Stranding even on a base PS4 was mindboggling good looking. The decima engine is a beast. I CANNOT wait to see more people use that thing going forward especially with the PS5 coming down the pike quickly.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Death Stranding looks good but RE2 looks better to me, on base PS4 at least.

death-stranding-mountains.jpg

resident-evil-2-looks-even-scarier-with-this-fixed-camera-angle-mod.jpg

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding looks good but RE2 looks better to me, on base PS4 at least.

death-stranding-mountains.jpg

resident-evil-2-looks-even-scarier-with-this-fixed-camera-angle-mod.jpg

This comparison is actually pretty funny. Do you realize the different scope of the two games? You're comparing a 3 meter corridor screenshot with a vast open-world with mountains you can climb.
Both games obviously look very good, but technically Death Stranding is much more impressive.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This comparison is actually pretty funny. Do you realize the different scope of the two games? You're comparing a 3 meter corridor screenshot with a vast open-world with mountains you can climb.
Both games obviously look very good, but technically Death Stranding is much more impressive.
RE2 is double the framerate tho
Also I think exodus is best looking this year. Be it material, lighting or art direction. It's all top tier.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This comparison is actually pretty funny. Do you realize the different scope of the two games?
I had this response in my mind as I posted it. That's the funny part.

I get it, and I just think visually RE2 has more "wow" moments than Death Stranding had. I did like how well they animated the actors in DS, capturing Mads' mannerisms perfectly (that can't just be the performance capture alone). Exploring the fields, it's wonderful, and it's good aesthetic. However, I didn't say DS sucks, I just said I think RE2 is more impressive to me. There are just cutscenes in that game where I'm blown away by its cinematic direction style, good faces and the fact that it runs almost at 60fps on a base PS4 while looking so good. They targeted "Darkness and Wetness" as their graphical motif when developing it. That's what they succeed at. It has a lovely dank look to it.

Bear in mind I'm on a base PS4. RE2 averages 45fps. Death Stranding is a 30fps with some stuttering and maybe a few visual drawbacks from Pro. On my TV, RE2 simply impressed me more in the end from a graphical and technical standpoint.

This burger is more impressive than anything in Death Stranding.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the video guys! Sorry you couldn't get everybody at once, maybe you can do so in a kickoff video for the new year or something. I'll be poring over the choices, and thinking about what my own list would be. Have a great holiday!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I get it, and I just think visually RE2 has more "wow" moments than Death Stranding had.

Just...no.
Have you actually played Death Stranding and seen all the crazy stuff that is going on in real time on screen there, and that in an open world scenario no less?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Just...no.
Have you actually played Death Stranding and seen all the crazy stuff that is going on in real time on screen there, and that in an open world scenario no less?
I played both and I think RE2 is more impressive. It's not that hard to comprehend. I've probably even spent more time with DS. I have 3 times 6 hours to play through RE2 on different difficulties, first and second modes. Death Stranding took me 50 hours to beat. Is that enough verification for you that I'm not some hipster?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I played both and I think RE2 is more impressive. It's not that hard to comprehend. I've probably even spent more time with DS. I have 3 times 6 hours to play through RE2 on different difficulties, first and second modes. Death Stranding took me 50 hours to beat. Is that enough verification for you that I'm not some hipster?

The burger part is enough verification for me that I just can't take you seriously.

This burger is more impressive than anything in Death Stranding.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
RE2 vs DS, round 2. Cutscenes:

EDIT: Err, dunno what platform that's played on ^. PC I assume. I replayed that part on PS4 yesterday and I swear the textures aren't usually that blurry. But the smoothness and high quality meshes though.

Now I know not to take you serious.
No, seriously, look at it. That looks super realistic and really smooth. Do you know how hard it is to animate foods and liquids, let alone digestion?

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
RE2 vs DS, round 2. Cutscenes:

No, seriously, look at it. That looks super realistic and really smooth. Do you know how hard it is to animate foods and liquids, let alone digestion?

That's like asking "do you know how hard it is for a character to have animated goosebumps on their body" (yes, Death Stranding had this). Like I said, you can't be taken serious with a comment like that. It's one of those eye-roll moments.

Now I'm not suggesting RE2R wasn't impressive (it's within my Top 5 for the year), but that hyperbolic claim is nothing more than that and has been appropriately mocked.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Weird comparison shots, but DS looks more impressive. Obvioulsy higher geomtery budget as well outside of the characters.
To me it just has the "decima" look, which is to say it looks great, especially humans in certain scenes, and it has a good soft look to it too... but I'm at a loss of words to describe that "something" that I feel is part of Decima's rendering. Any engine seems to have a unique look to the way they handled all the rendering stuff. Fox Engine had its feel, RE Engine has one, and Decima too. I'm just in love with that Darkness & Wetness approach they took with RE2 and the way environments truly did feel wet and steamy, in that dark, rainy setting of indoor furniture and sewer areas. I agree that Death Stranding does "scale" really well, and I think it excelled at renders of the hollywood actors it had. They just look almost perfect to me, especially the way their performances were captured.

I also think interiors like Sam's hub and Heartman's Lab looked really good.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
To me it just has the "decima" look, which is to say it looks great, especially humans in certain scenes, and it has a good soft look to it too... but I'm at a loss of words to describe that "something" that I feel is part of Decima's rendering. Any engine seems to have a unique look to the way they handled all the rendering stuff. Fox Engine had its feel, RE Engine has one, and Decima too. I'm just in love with that Darkness & Wetness approach they took with RE2 and the way environments truly did feel wet and steamy, in that dark, rainy setting of indoor furniture and sewer areas. I agree that Death Stranding does "scale" really well, and I think it excelled at renders of the hollywood actors it had. They just look almost perfect to me, especially the way their performances were captured.

I also think interiors like Sam's hub and Heartman's Lab looked really good.

Fair play, and I largely agree. I am also super impressed with both engines, and do have some issues with Death Stranding, especially the way light interacts with skin in certain scenes. However, I really like the way the landscape is rendered, it has a high geometry approach compared to stuff like RE 2, which after all is targetting 60 fps as well as with DMC V - I feel cut backs are pretty evident, but they have been made intelligently.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played Day's Gone 3-4 weeks after release and the only issues I faced where a chugging frame rate in the latter part of the game. Graphically it's up there with the most impressive titles this gen. Of particular note are the ground & road textures, foliage etc. Also big props to Bend for making each building and location unique. It really did feel as if you where walking around an individuals property when you stepped into a house.

One of the major reasons I didn't rush through the game. I'm really looking forward to what Bend does next. With a little more focus and experience they're destined for great things.
I played it 2-3 months after release and saw the same stutter, fps drops random crashes and so forth that were the same day one when reviewing it. Though 2-4 patches had shored up a couple issues
Sadly with that game, in particular, the issues were notable. Luckily some just didn't get them or notice them as much as others

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Days gone was robbed. how does it not even get an honorary mention?

Vm8rCDO.gif

Snow.gif

days-gone-editorial-horde-alt-two-column-01-ps4-en-20mar19_1553080007763

Yeah,its like everyone forgot about this one...it did win one Bafta I believe for story or direction I believe at least...it got robbed so many times I think I will put it as my number 1 GoTY list lol(its in my top 5)

Also Exodus is a good choice,played it on the 1X with HDR and all and some sections where incredible looking...

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
death stranding and metro are good picks

i guess rdr2 counts as a 2018 game but the pc version remains at the very top for me

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just started Metro Exodus and it just drips with atmosphere. DF wasn't kidding about how good it looks. I'm playing on X
and it looks spectacular. HDR implantation is first rate. I'm playing on a C9. What the best colorspace to select, SRGB?

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Death Standing looks good but the LOD ring is too small to not being noticeable, at 10-15 feet from Sam you see grass spawning and at 20-30 you see entire geometries changing shape and this was me noticing them on a 24 inches screen can't imagine how obvious it was on a 32 or even 55 inches...

REmake 2 deserved the top spot more imho.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I just started Metro Exodus and so far, it doesn't really look all that different from the previous games without raytracing. My main issue is I want to enable RTX even with just a 1080 Ti, and I am fine running at a lower resolution to compensate, but the game seems to just disable gsync the moment I do not run in native resolution. So it's a choice of rtx + native res + awful framerates, rtx + lower res + barely good framerates (and no gsync), or no rtx + native res + really good framerates for me.

This is the game pass version btw. I don't know if it's the engine they use, but I have always had odd resolution issues with their games.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Death Stranding only impressed me during the cutscenes. The terrain looks nice (even though the LOD changes are clearly visible most of the time), but considering that the game has no enemies or NPC during most of the experience, the system has more resources to use for the terrain detail so it's not really that impressive most of the time.

I agree that Re2 looks better, Gears 5 on PC is a really polished game technically and some Switch games like LM3 or Astral Chain look really good considering the hardware. I don't know about Metro as I didn't play it.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, but we're talking 'best graphics' not 'most pioneering tech', so it's of no relevance how standard the techniques on display are. Standard lighting tech maybe, but combined with the lovely effects and the frankly stellar texturing, viewed holistically Days Gone has some of the best graphics in any game in recent years. It's beautiful and doesn't sound like it even got a mention (haven't watched the video though, so I might be wrong - going off the comments in this thread). I mean I don't recall seeing real-time snow build up before, that alone is a talking point.

What makes the textures pop has just as much to do with the lighting. The high fidelity screen space shadow implementation adds a level of micro detail to the materials that really stands out.

As for pioneering tech, here's a description from a GDC talk on the subject:

"This talk will introduce an algorithm to generate the high quality, high performance screen space shadows developed for Playstation 4 title 'Days Gone'", the description for the programming session reads. " The talk will cover the numerous iterations and revisions that occurred developing the technique, which uses a compute shader ray marching scheme that aggressively shares sample data. Other applications for this ray marching method will also be discussed, such as cloud rendering and volumetric fog. Additionally, a simple technique for leveraging screen space shadows to add dramatic depth to in-game materials will be introduced. "

Along with Gears 5, DG is an example of UE4 tittle that is anything but stock Unreal.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I feel cut backs are pretty evident, but they have been made intelligently.
Textures in particular, yeah. But it still manages to create a cutting edge feel that somehow runs at 60fps. I'm still amazed by that optimization and the graphical result. On a Pro it runs almost perfect 60fps at checkerboarded 4K. It's a really impressive game to look at and play.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Been playing Resident Evil 2 and Red Dead 2 on the PC, both are glorious looking but I guess not technically allowed.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Death Standing looks good but the LOD ring is too small to not being noticeable, at 10-15 feet from Sam you see grass spawning and at 20-30 you see entire geometries changing shape and this was me noticing them on a 24 inches screen can't imagine how obvious it was on a 32 or even 55 inches...

REmake 2 deserved the top spot more imho.

Do you play it on PS4? It was near that close for me on PS4 pro...I thought the LoD for the terrain in terms of geometric detail was probably better than any open world I've played.