• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta hand it to Death Stranding, the facial work and environments are incredible.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that short snippet of Control didn't paint a pretty picture when they showed to console foootage.
As John was saying 'it runs much better now' it dropped several times below 30fps.
And they only showed seconds of footage!

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid picks. DS just look beautiful all the time while the lighting in Metro was breathtaking at times.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
DS probably has the best facial capture i've ever seen, especially that one scene near the end.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Metro looks like a different game with Ray Tracing. RT is the real deal and the best tech that is going to come out of next gen consoles. Unfortunately i can't play it with RT so it just looks "Good".

DS is fantastic, they didn't even show the mountains.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have to say that short snippet of Control didn't paint a pretty picture when they showed to console foootage.
As John was saying 'it runs much better now' it dropped several times below 30fps.
And they only showed seconds of footage!
Alex did the edit and didn't have access to assets outside of what I originally produced. I didn't have time to provide anything for it.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Depends on when they played it maybe? It was replete with technical issues even a month or so after release.
I played Day's Gone 3-4 weeks after release and the only issues I faced where a chugging frame rate in the latter part of the game. Graphically it's up there with the most impressive titles this gen. Of particular note are the ground & road textures, foliage etc. Also big props to Bend for making each building and location unique. It really did feel as if you where walking around an individuals property when you stepped into a house.

One of the major reasons I didn't rush through the game. I'm really looking forward to what Bend does next. With a little more focus and experience they're destined for great things.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Love the praise for Gears 5 being Jonhs number 2 pick. Best HDR of the year they agreed on :) let's see what Gears 5 with RT on XSX looks ;)

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Can't disagree with John's pick. The faces are sorcery, and almost a generation ahead of Naughty Dog in my opinion
Honestly I think rather than tech specifically, it's more that a real face comes with the imperfections of a real human, like John said in the vid, they picked people who do not look traditionally "video gamey"
A lot of Naughty Dog characters are loosely based on someone but altered by artists, so may look a little too perfect and symmetrical for our monkey brains to fully accept

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not only the amazing graphics, Exodus' atmosphere and world-building is out of this world. One of the best this gen.
Death-Stranding is my pick for best graphics, the game is drop-dead gorgeous, blew me away

Oct 27, 2017
Gears and Death Stranding just look so good in HDR.

Love the shout out to Die-Hardman.

Gears 5's cutscenes look CG. Straight up pre-rendered but they aren't. Blows my mind. The way it changes scene so quickly and smoothly is unlike any other game

Death Stranding's cutscenes aren't as action packed as Gears, but the environmental changes in Death Stranding are unbelievable.

Metro Exodus has some nice tech but I haven't played it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the games I think Death Strandings character models blew my mind the most. Seeing a real-time character cry so realistic is nuts.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is one of these games that nails both style and tech, so easy win for me. Metro is kinda the opposite. While great on a technical level, the art style does nothing for me.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Gears 5 looks incredible even on my base Xbox One. Definitely one of the first games I'll be replaying on Series X :D

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
that strand-type game would be my choice too. can't wait for pc, hopefully it's moddable

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Gears 5 was good, but not within my Top 5 this year. Certainly not on the level of the their Top 2 (Metro and Death Stranding ~ my two personal picks as well). But yeah, still a solid year for game visuals!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Days gone was robbed. how does it not even get an honorary mention?

Vm8rCDO.gif

Snow.gif

days-gone-editorial-horde-alt-two-column-01-ps4-en-20mar19_1553080007763

The game ran like shit at launch (and still runs bad on the bike now) which is probably why. The dynamic weather system was very good though.

To be fair} Metro Exodus was also an absolute mess even a month after launch and we know Control barely ran over 20fps in combat on base consoles.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by the lack of Red Dead 2. I guess it might not count since it originally came out last year. The PC version was the first time I played it and I consider it the best looking game I've ever played.

Jun 23, 2019
Agreed. The later half of Death Stranding is absolutely insane and the character models are disgusting. Can't wait to see what Kojima does with the PS5.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Surprised by the lack of Red Dead 2. I guess it might not count since it originally came out last year. The PC version was the first time I played it and I consider it the best looking game I've ever played.
Pretty much RDR2 PC if that counts. some of the areas in that game just look dumb.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Playing Days Gone and it's probably the best looking game I've played since RDR2.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game ran like shit at launch (and still runs bad on the bike now) which is probably why. The dynamic weather system was very good though.

To be fair} Metro Exodus was also an absolute mess even a month after launch and we know Control barely ran over 20fps in combat on base consoles.
I played it launch and platinumed it. Beat every horde and never had any issues. The only time i got framerate issues was when i wnt to the second area and all of a sudden framerate started stuttering but only when driving and it wasn't all the time.

Its clearly a streaming issue because i beat a thousand man horde with no fps drops.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Yeah, Days Gone looked good and the dynamic weather and different climate zones add a lot to the atmosphere.

But Death Stranding it is. The hyper-realistic aesthetic and the Decima Engine are a perfect match.