• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
glad they covered the game. the conversion is great that it deserves all the attention it can get

Oct 29, 2017
This port makes pretty much every other PS4-Switch port look like a joke in comparison. Absolute masterful work here.

Also I'm really glad that someone else FINALLY heard the same 60's Batman music in the battle theme. It's literally the first thing I thought of when I played the demo!

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
900p on PS4 and the docked Switch version going from 720p to 810p is fairly close. Both versions of the game are targeting 30 FPS as well.

Keep in mind in that other thread you had folks saying the difference was "worlds apart" and the Switch version was "atrocious", it's always about hyperbole and egregious exaggerations with nothing in between and it really shouldn't be like this.
PS4 does have higher polygon characters, textures, shadows, ambient occlusion, texture filtering etc as well in addition to the 56% higher resolution. But yeah, the devs have done a wonderful job closing the gap vs many other 3rd party ports and taking advantage of the the graphical style. From what I gather, the game doesn't seem to be a major CPU or bandwidth bottleneck like many other 3rd party ports that will widen the gap beyond the 3-4x GPU power difference also.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Amazing research, fun video and actual info from DF and Dark1x as always. I wanted confirmation on all changes (no only the obvious resolution variance) and I got everything I needed thanks to this video.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The lighting in this game is really advanced for a Switch game, I was impressed to see that a lot of it was dynamic and not baked. One of the best looking Switch games for sure

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Can't wait to watch this. I'm nearly 30 hours in on the Switch, mostly playing docked, and have been impressed as all hell. Of course, the gaming community doesn't disappoint on the hyperbole -- 900p is cool on a VCR-sized console, but 720 to 810p on a 6-inch tablet is an unplayable compromise. Honestly, you of course notice the difference when you're looking at the two versions side-by-side, but when you're playing the Switch version, it feels in no way compromised -- it's still a drop-dead gorgeous game (to say nothing of the ridiculous laundry list of improvements they've managed to make).

It's really cool to see them using a bunch of rendering tricks that have fallen out of favor on modern systems to make a conversion that's so perfect. It goes to nearly the base PS4 res in some cases at the same framerate.

Billboard trees that fade into full models, reduced polygon counts that retain all the visual detail while only reducing roundness, simpler more stylized lighting models, baked light maps, swapping out pregenerated blueprints code for optimized native code. Great stuff!

This really deserves praise. Not to diminish the work of other developers, but the ports that take a "crank down the resolution and compress the everloving hell out of the textures" approach don't look nearly as good to my eye as this one does (thinking of The Witcher 3 and Divinity II as recent examples, here). The additional work that was done to make this much more bespoke to the platform pays off in spades.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I mean there's basically 3 different Switches models now. Switch, revised Switch and Switch Lite.

well, yeah, but considering that never once in this review are the different switch versions even compared, i'm really not getting the necessity of the 'family of systems' bit. it's basically a' dragon quest xi on nintendo switch' review, period...

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I love this game and this port is amazing. Had 30 hours on PS4 version. Now pushing 70 on Switch. Best port of all time. I'm crying.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What was the word that one person used to describe the look of this port again? Abysmal? I forget.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, for fuck's sake. I've heard "unplayable," too. And it was also used as a poster child for "demakes" in a thread about demakes (because it's clearly so very compromised that it doesn't even count as a port).
To be fair it is a demake. You can play in 16 bit mode. :P

Apparently Square Enix refers to this version internally as a "remake", which when you look at the work done, makes sense. Upgrading to a new version of a game engine is never easy (depreciation of features, new rendering pipelines, whole nine yards), plus changed models, textures, level geometry, and new features, I can see why they'd call it that.

I *think* I'm nearing the end of act 2, at like 56 hours. It's my first Dragon Quest and I'm loving it

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally was thoroughly disappointed by the dq11 demo, it looked simply awful. Blurry and rough at the same time somehow with miles worse lighting and texture quality, the only positive was performance which seemed solid.

I understand the switch is a handheld which is why it had to be cut back by so much but for me it was just too much. Surprised there's so much positivity, they got it on the switch sure, but they didn't get it looking good unfortunately.

What games do you play on Switch? I'd understand if you only play native res games like Mario Kart, but "blurry" ports on Switch at this point are the norm, even for games that are much, much smaller in scope. I think your issue isn't with the port but with the Switch itself.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
I'm happy that there was so much love and sweat put into this version, it's so gorgeous! I especially loved the part about the file size being cut down thanks to a new UE4 codec for the pre-rendered videos.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saying the full title of "Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition" will never not be funny.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, Digital Foundry, for also once again clearly stating that the game is 900p on base PS4. There was this persistent myth that the game had been upgraded with some UE4 update to 1080p. Each time someone told that myth I asked for receipts and they never were able to deliver those. It was so persistent however that at some point I wasn't sure myself anymore, lol.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised at the docked resolution, it looks really good, I would have guess it was running at a higher res than 720p.

Handheld mode is very obviously not native res.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
To be fair it is a demake. You can play in 16 bit mode. :P

Apparently Square Enix refers to this version internally as a "remake", which when you look at the work done, makes sense. Upgrading to a new version of a game engine is never easy (depreciation of features, new rendering pipelines, whole nine yards), plus changed models, textures, level geometry, and new features, I can see why they'd call it that.

I wish they were talking about the 2D mode, or even the Japanese 3DS port. And, yeah, I'll say it again -- I'd love it if more developers approached their Switch ports in the way that Square did for this one. The amount of bespoke work they put into the engine, rendering, models, textures, etc. really sets a new bar, and achieves far greater results than just dialing down the resolution, textures and effects settings (again, not to diminish the work that goes into other ports -- I know it's not quite so simple, but you get the idea).