• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
I would who wants the hassle of patches, slower interface and mouse + keyboard these days.
Imagine thinking consoles don't have patches and that using a mouse is slower than having to scroll over to an option with a control stick.

And use any controller you want if you can't stomach mouse and keyboard, hello?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Looks like we're basically getting twice the XB1X GPU next gen, and maybe a bit more. Throw in a huge CPU leap, and an SSD, and you've got a pretty awesome generational leap.

Feb 10, 2018
Imagine thinking consoles don't have patches and that using a mouse is slower than having to scroll over to an option with a control stick.

And use any controller you want if you can't stomach mouse and keyboard, hello?
Are u really going to argue with me that accessibility and speed is the same on a PC as a console? Ssd gives faster load times but navigating on a couch with a mouse and keyboard is just not needed on console.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Are u really going to argue with me that accessibility and speed is the same on a PC as a console? Ssd gives faster load times but navigating on a couch with a mouse and keyboard is just not needed on console.
No, I'm going to argue accessibility and speed is better on a PC than on console. Cheat engine ensures that. You act like you can't throw an SSD into a console, and like people don't use mouse and keyboard on console either lmfao. Good try though.

Feb 10, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling, platform wars, and thread derail
No, I'm going to argue accessibility and speed is better on a PC than on console. Cheat engine ensures that. You act like you can't throw an SSD into a console, and like people don't use mouse and keyboard on console either lmfao. Good try though.

Well, I disagree.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Twice the GPU power of the One X plus the many times more powerful CPU and the fast SSD. Midrange PCs will be hard to make an argument for just in terms of performance and graphics.

By the time next gen is out Nvidia will most likely have its own 7nm lineup and will blow Navi away in price/perf.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
man, the scorpio and pro really shade this next gen differently, when you think about 4x GPU and 7x CPU over base console that is nuts

If we ignored the scorpio and pros existence, has there ever been that big of a jump before?

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I really like these kind of what if situations and trying to make PC tech work at console levels.

Those jaguars are abysmally bad. Feels almost like they ruined an entire generation. The new modern CPU's put the consoles back on track and it makes me happy that they are going to be genuinely "balanced" this time and the new base level is relatively high. GPU is hopefully at least at RX 5700 levels. It's not too bad but i think consoles can do some sacrifices there. Of course PC tech marches on and CPU's matter more this time, so getting a multi-core monster chip can actually be worth it. Not bound by GPU that much also gives room for PC graphics to really shine.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

You're right. It's actually faster on a PC with an SSD.
It takes 8 seconds to boot on desktop.
"Navigating on a mouse and keyboard isnt needed on consoles."
It's not either on PC.
That's what Big Picture is meant for. Or KODI. Or Playnite.
Heck, you can actually control your PC with a controller with Steam or Controller Companion. (Even though a Steam Controller is a far better option here).

It all depends on the kind of experience you want. Heck, if you want to build a PC and use it solely as a console, you may not even need to see the Windows interface and boot directly on a home console interface.

All of your post is pure ignorance.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Given how little they had, absolutely. But so much went to waste working with those limitations and what could have been would've been so much better.
Well, it was the best AMD could offer at the time with the power and price considerations both MS and Sony had. Not much they could have done.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, what a clueless post
I would who wants the hassle of patches, slower interface and mouse + keyboard these days.

Huh?

I went from Xbox one X/Ps4 to building my own PC and I couldn't disagree more. Booting to a NVMe Ssd was a game changer. All of windows is faster then both the xbone and ps4 UI.

We will see how next gen fares with their SSDs. Even so, building a new PC after These consoles, would make it more powerful.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's not either on PC.
Heck, you can actually control your PC with a controller with Steam or Controller Companion. (Even though a Steam Controller is a far better option here).

It all depends on the kind of experience you want. Heck, if you want to build a PC and use it solely as a console, you may not even need to see the Windows interface and boot directly on a home console interface.

I don't know why PC people always assume all that stuff is simple.

People don't want to deal with all that hassle. They just get the console and press accept on everything until it's ready. Done.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

People don't want to deal with all that hassle. They just get the console and press accept on everything until it's ready. Done.
Then do that? But don't pretend it isn't simple on PC.

I have more problems on console than I ever do on my PC, and it's supposedly "pick up and play"

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

What hassle ?
All you have to do is litterally press the Xbox Guide button. Wtf.

There's litterally two steps:
Press the power button of your computer.
Once the Windows Desktop appears, press the Xbox Guide/Steam Guide button to boot into big picture.

Two freaking buttons.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
What hassle ?

Once the Windows Desktop appears, press the Xbox Guide/Steam Guide button to boot into big picture.

Two freaking buttons.
too much effort

what if my printer needs updating? or microsoft excel crashes

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
What hassle ?

Two freaking buttons.

You have to set all that stuff up in the first place.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
too much effort

what if my printer needs updating? or microsoft excel crashes

I mean, yeah, unless you want a perfect controller experience (which means automatically booting into big picture or kodi or playnite), it'll take a bit of initial first tinkering. That's 30 minutes ONE time in your life. But otherwise, if you're fine with seeing the windows desktop, that's litterally two buttons.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The new Navi 10 flops are 30% more efficient than Polaris flops in the 1X and Pro.

The iteration of Navi found in the console will be even more so due hardware tweaks and lower-level API. We might see 50% more efficiency for next gen console compared to Polaris in the 1x.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You have to set all that stuff up in the first place.

You're right for one thing:
The first time, you need to install Steam. Then connect to Steam. Then in the steam settings, set "start Steam at launch". Heck, if you're willing to go through the "hassle" you can also check "boot Steam into Big picture at launch". That'll take 5 minutes the first time you install it. That'll also save you one button press.

I think you can survive a 5 minutes hassle one time in your life. That'll always be a shorter time than going through downloading something on the PSN's slow speed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
man, the scorpio and pro really shade this next gen differently, when you think about 4x GPU and 7x CPU over base console that is nuts

If we ignored the scorpio and pros existence, has there ever been that big of a jump before?

The PS4 has 16 times more RAM than the PS3. That's a jump. I don't think the PS5 is going to have 128GB of RAM.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh?

I went from Xbox one X/Ps4 to building my own PC and I couldn't disagree more. Booting to a NVMe Ssd was a game changer. All of windows is faster then both the xbone and ps4 UI.

We will see how next gen fares with their SSDs. Even so, building a new PC after These consoles, would make it more powerful.

Yeep, and PCIe 4.0 is available now, with 5.0 on the way.
Really sucks playing at higher settings, with much better performance, all while having input device choices, and not being charged to use my own internet connection /s

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
You're right for one thing:
The first time, you need to install Steam. Then connect to Steam. Then in the steam settings, set "start Steam at launch". Heck, if you're willing to go through the "hassle" you can also check "boot Steam into Big picture at launch". That'll take 5 minutes the first time you install it. That'll also save you one button press.

I think you can survive a 5 minutes hassle one time in your life. That'll always be a shorter time than going through downloading something on the PSN's slow speed.

+the research to find out how to do that+the research to find a PC with the appropriate price/performance+the research to buy parts+the effort to build a PC (if you're not getting a prebuilt)+installing the OS and setting it up appropriately.

As someone with no background in computing I bothered to go through all this hassle to get my PC, but to say that PC is as simple (or, laughably, more simple) than console is just wrong. Unless all you want to do is play a non-intensive game on your old Dell..

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
2x as powerful as Xbox 1x.

So in terms of Dragon Ball how much more powerful is this compared to an OG PS4?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I love DF. Great stuff as usual. I can't wait for the spec reveals and Richard talking about it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
+the research to find out how to do that+the research to find a PC with the appropriate price/performance+the research to buy parts+the effort to build a PC (if you're not getting a prebuilt)+installing the OS and setting it up appropriately.

As someone with no background in computing I bothered to go through all this hassle to get my PC, but to say that PC is as simple (or, laughably, more simple) than console is just wrong. Unless all you want to do is play a non-intensive game on your old Dell..
lmao

Dec 15, 2017
I'd love if DF built a 2012 PC with PS4/Xbone specs and see how it holds up in 2019.

I have a pc built in December 2013 which I am using as of today:

Fx6300 at stock speeds
GTX 760 2gb (trades blows with a 670 from 2012)
8gb ram at 1600 mhz.

It's a pc slightly more powerful in gpu terms (with less vram) and with a better cpu than the consoles.
My experience is the following:

Most games run better than the PS4/xbox with a few exceptions

ID tech games
Assassin's Creed oddysey and origins
Nier automata
Injustice 2
Rage 2
Forza horizon 3

And that's taking into consideration that the Kepler architecture aged like milk. Something like a 7870 should have better results with modern games and a 7950 is far superior than a 760 these days and the extra gb of vram does wonders

There's a you tube called Santiago Santiago that tests modern games with a 750ti. That gpu traded blows with the PS4 but in modern AAA games, the PS4 is better

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
It's not either on PC.

In my experience pc is more hassle for gaming.
Sure you can get a PC and have it in your living room and install some program that enables one to boot straight into steam or some other game launcher, but guess what you have to make a specific pc if you want it in small form factor and not be to loud, and there's way more setup and maintenance with pc.

Overall with console you can set it up with just plugging in 2 or 3 cables, there's and initial setup process and then you ready to go.
Maintenance on console is easier because you don't need to install drivers and other things manually.

So despite being able to get pc's to a good couch gaming experience overall I still think consoles are less hassle for gaming.

Feb 10, 2018
Huh?

I will admit my pc is old, still with a hdd and its huge and loud, but game load times is not the only consideration, pc still has more maintenance generally speaking and initial setup takes more time and effort

Also I almost forgot but if ppl saw my original post I was actually talking about next gen consoles, which will match pc ssd speeds, likely beat them.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Did I understand the Wolfenstein graph correctly? The PC with a GPU similar to the PS4 Pro is performing similar, even a little better, than the PS4 Pro? Weren't consoles supposed to punch a bit above their weight?

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Did I understand the Wolfenstein graph correctly? The PC with a GPU similar to the PS4 Pro is performing similar, even a little better, than the PS4 Pro? Weren't consoles supposed to punch a bit above their weight?
The PS4 Pro has less memory and especially less memory bandwidth which is also shared between the cpu and gpu so that's probably why.

Dec 15, 2017
2021 will be a year of multiple "is PC gaming dead? as the gap vs consoles will be the smallest of the generation. Hopefully Nvidia crushes the competition with ampere in 2020 so console killer PC's can be built on the cheap. Amd is fine and all but they slack on the gpu front to protect their console business.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the time next gen is out Nvidia will most likely have its own 7nm lineup and will blow Navi away in price/perf.
yup thats the thing navi is only compeditive with nvidia on a node shrink, the moment nvidia does 7nm they will be put well ahead. also they will be on second gen rt tech.

Oct 25, 2017

It's reasonable to expect that the 7nm xx70 and maybe even the xx60 cards will offer much better rasterized performance than the next round of consoles. When it comes to RT, I doubt said consoles will match the RTX 2070.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
In my experience pc is more hassle for gaming.
Sure you can get a PC and have it in your living room and install some program that enables one to boot straight into steam or some other game launcher, but guess what you have to make a specific pc if you want it in small form factor and not be to loud, and there's way more setup and maintenance with pc.

Overall with console you can set it up with just plugging in 2 or 3 cables, there's and initial setup process and then you ready to go.
Maintenance on console is easier because you don't need to install drivers and other things manually.

So despite being able to get pc's to a good couch gaming experience overall I still think consoles are less hassle for gaming.
Welcome to 2009 I hope you enjoy your stay. I wonder what people will think once Stadia comes around and is even easier and more hassle free than consoles. Will these talking points be used against console warriors by Stadia fans? Find out next on Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited: