• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm shocked that the resolution is that low. Looked fine in both docked or handheld for me.

Apr 21, 2018
Terrible result. I have no idea why on Earth Good Feel gave up their own (highly performant) HD engine from Wooly World for UE4.

I can only assume that it was part of a back room deal between Nintendo and Epic, in order to secure UE4 support on Switch. And this game was a casualty of that deal.

What an asanine suggestion.

It's probably because there was workflow/development advantage to using UE4 rather than a WiiU engine. As someone pointed out, the WiiU engine dropped to 30fps in the main menu, so maybe in order to add more models and details and keep it at 60fps, UE4 was their best option.

The presentation has nothing to prove to me with this game. It looks great. I'm more concerned about the challenge/length and the music.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always take 60fps over resolution, thank you.
It sucks they had to make such a big compromise to it tho. I'm just glad I don't really care or pay attention to that kind of stuff.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What an asanine suggestion.

It's probably because there was workflow/development advantage to using UE4 rather than a WiiU engine. As someone pointed out, the WiiU engine dropped to 30fps in the main menu, so maybe in order to add more models and details and keep it at 60fps, UE4 was their best option.

The presentation has nothing to prove to me with this game. It looks great. I'm more concerned about the challenge/length and the music.
Pretty sure this is 30 fps in the menu too

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd target 900p. 60fps is important, but it's not so simple as as 60fps or bust. Yoshi is slow enough that a locked 30 with a few other compromises to hit closer to 900p would have been my preference.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah when I played the demo in handheld mode I noticed how low resolution it looked. It's always really noticeable to me when games drop to such low resolution like this or Xenoblade. Hopefully the final version is a little better technically but I doubt it will be.

Nov 4, 2017
+ for being shocked that the resolution is so low. The game looks and performs beautifully, and I absolutely adore the arts & crafts art style. I look forward to seeing what else Nintendo can do with the tech.

3rd party engines seem to do surprisingly well on the Switch ( E.g Snowdrop). I this bodes well for 3rd party support.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Goddamn :(

The game's gorgeous, like most Nintendo titles. It's a real shame Nintendo doesn't invest in more powerful hardware to allow that art to really shine.
Switch was already plenty powerful for them (at the time of release, compared to their previous system), if it was more powerful they would simply change the graphics and keep low resolution.

Wii U was already capable of running Yoshi Wooly World at 60 fps 720p and 480p gamepad, thats better than this, somethings off with optimization no matter how pretty the graphics are its all balance 376p is not good at all for an exclusive.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
I´ll be throwing my unprofessional opinion out and say that, once again, this proves that a good videogame is not about resolution and visual fidelity or whatnot.

I actually enjoy the simple approach. Just make your game look fine and run great, don´t care about IQ.
I´m aware an enthusiast forum like ERA disagrees with me here. Yet, that´s the way I as a casual feel I guess.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch was already plenty powerful for them (at the time of release, compared to their previous system), if it was more powerful they would simply change the graphics and keep low resolution.

Wii U was already capable of running Yoshi Wooly World at 60 fps 720p and 480p gamepad, thats better than this, somethings off with optimization no matter how pretty the graphics are its all balance 376p is not good at all for an exclusive.
Yoshis Wooly World is technicaly in no way comparable to Crafted World, though. Crafted uses way more modern effects and rendering pipelines.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I believe so and it looked like this in case anyone forgot:
https://youtu.be/s4pH7Eik7B4

...which is why I'm a little disappointed in the new one to be honest. Wooly World looks and plays beautifully. If the Switch game looks better, it isn't that much better. 1080p 60 should be the target in docked.
Woolly Word looks really nice, but I think it's pretty obvious that the effects and lighting of Crafted World are quite a bit more advanced. Now obviously you can say that they didn't need to do more than that, but I think it's still pretty obvious that it's really not just a case of both games looking basically the same and thus solely UE4's "fault" that Crafted World's resolution is so low.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked the resolution is that low and I didn't particularly notice it.

It was clearly not 1080p but still. Sub HD is wild

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
The depth of field ruins the game visually, you can't see shit in the background. The resolution doesn't help.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Lots of good developers in this thread from what I can see. I'm glad I'm able to post on the same forums as some of you experts knowing what the switch should be capable of ahead of Nintendo themselves. Who else will hold them accountable. Now; where did I put my pitchfork?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The comparison with Bug made me laugh. Come on DF... I own the game when I had a Saturn back in the day, whay a terrible game it was. It was very impressive vidually, but as soon as you start to play it... That was bad.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You have to remember the position of extreme weakness Nintendo was in back when they were making the Switch. They were absolutely desperate for 3rd party support and desperate for UE4 support on their upcoming NX platform.

Would not surprise me if a promise to make a first party Nintendo title was part of the deal (and to give Epic all of the optimisations that Nintendo's partners end up developing for UE4 as a whole).
That is a fair point, but forcing a small(-ish) 2nd party developer to work on a game using that engine isn't really a solution nor something would really push the matter forward. Nor can you reasonably say it has done that, at least from what I've heard of Unreal's changes since I have last been involved in a project used to ship a game with the engine, as most clear work on the plaform has come from Fortnite or be general improvements affecting all platforms. Major contributions to the engine tend to come from different types of projects and developers (in this case Epic themselves and of course support by Nintendo's own hw/sw staff). It's an assumption that I can't really say fits the reality I have experience of (not that it's impossible, but unlikely), especially given that other developers in Japan have adopted the engine for the very reasons I posted.

A more plausible similar explanation is that Nintendo may have had a set release schedule that they would like the project to have, and Good-Feel may have made the research and decision that using UE4 for this title would mean higher chance of success.

Good Feel already had an excellent engine up and running on Wii U (and later 3DS); that was highly performant, looked fantastic, was efficient to work with, and highly scalable. Why throw all that away?
That is quite an assumption, especially the "efficient to work with" - people have this misconception about a lot of engines based on the output which is not something you very reliably use as a reference. Of coures often performance/development efficiency are two somewhat conflicting matters (though the reality is that yes working with a 3rd party engine you take a performance hit for production improvements due to the nature of general purpose ethos of these engines and focus on productivity they put).

Secondly, Wii U is a different platform, so the work to get to a running build at all can be considerable (but not necessarily), and you have to adopt for new development tools and that work can affect the rest of the team and the outcome quite heavily if the studio isn't in a good state to do that.

Even the performance part is questionable; yes they did output a (but not this title) title running at better resolution before, but that is not comparable in terms of what rendering it does, so you can't say in anyway that the game could have hit a similar visual target with that engine with the same resources, or you have to start talking about what you would have traded off from other parts of the budget and end product.

Now that said, I can't say it was the right choice as I personally really like the look of Woolly World and some of the gameplay mechanics feel a bit gimmicky-ish compared to it (which again may be a result of them being able to experiment more with faster tools), but a technical comparison of whether this same game with the same visual would have performed and been as good as it is, is stretching and makes a ton of assumptions that in my expeirence aren't the reality of game development.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yoshis Wooly World is technicaly in no way comparable to Crafted World, though. Crafted uses way more modern effects and rendering pipelines.
I know but still, if their 'vision/ambition got the resolution that low maybe it wasn't the best choice with the resources they had available.a shame both kirby and yoshi struggled in their jump to the switch, tech wise

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I know but still, if their 'vision/ambition got the resolution that low maybe it wasn't the best choice with the resources they had available.a shame both kirby and yoshi struggled in their jump to the switch, tech wise

Or maybe they did decide it was worth the lowered resolution, like the Digital Foundry video seems to indicate. The game looks absolutely beautiful and runs incredibly smoothly for a UE4 game.

If they had to lower texture detail to raise the resolution a bit I'm not sure I'd want that particular tradeoff.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Or maybe they did decide it was worth the lowered resolution, like the Digital Foundry video seems to indicate. The game looks absolutely beautiful and runs incredibly smoothly for a UE4 game.

If they had to lower texture detail to raise the resolution a bit I'm not sure I'd want that particular tradeoff.
At least It will certainly be a showcase for the Switch pro

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Necro Bump but I'm amazed this is a sub 720 game. I feel this is the best looking Switch game. Image Quality imo looks 100x as good as somethink like DQXIS. Helps that I love the artstyle but still, just doesn't look as low as the values found out by DF.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Yeah, I cannot imagine this game looking better. But then I don't notice the lower resolution on Mario Kart most of the time.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Necro Bump but I'm amazed this is a sub 720 game. I feel this is the best looking Switch game. Image Quality imo looks 100x as good as somethink like DQXIS. Helps that I love the artstyle but still, just doesn't look as low as the values found out by DF.
It's a gorgeous game. Most users would have no idea it was below 720p if it hadn't been pointed out to them.

I really wish I liked the game itself though. I actually kind of hate everything about it from a gameplay perspective. It's easily the worst first party game I've purchased on the system.

Oct 29, 2017
UE4's temporal AA does indeed work wonders here. It's a very soft looking, but very clean game. The soft look also fits the aesthetic very well.

It's far from the best looking game on Switch though; that honour goes to Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's not even close. LM3 is absolute witchcraft!

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
It's a gorgeous game. Most users would have no idea it was below 720p if it hadn't been pointed out to them.

I really wish I liked the game itself though. I actually kind of hate everything about it from a gameplay perspective. It's easily the worst first party game I've purchased on the system.

Eh, I hated the demo, but I like the full game. Helps that I got it for a buck with the target pricing deal. I enjoy playing a level before going to bed. Not difficult, just relaxing with the wonderful artstyle. Not going anywhere near 100% though, just in it for the scenery.

UE4's temporal AA does indeed work wonders here. It's a very soft looking, but very clean game. The soft look also fits the aesthetic very well.

It's far from the best looking game on Switch though; that honour goes to Luigi's Mansion 3 and it's not even close. LM3 is absolute witchcraft!

Haven't played that one yet...