• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, music is definitely one of those subjective things. I hate it but that's how music criticism goes! That part is pure opinion and I'd hope someone would enjoy it!

I'm just disappointed because music is so important to platform games for me - without a great soundtrack, the experience is lessened quite a bit. That's definitely true here.

Yeah recent Yoshi music has been purposefully plinky and disharmonic in order to be cutesy and adorable, but the resulting sound affects people differently. For me, wooly world was fine but yoshi's new and this demo are tough.

BTW, you weren't kidding about monster boy - the music, animation, everything is appealing and comes together nicely. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wow, lowest IQ for a 1st party game? I'm sure they can increase IQ a little by June. Hopefully 720p locked. Still though, a first for Nintendo and makes 900p seem the norm by comparison. I bet a Switch pro could get 900-1080p dynamic, if Nintendo is willing to throw in a patch to boost resolution that far down the road...
It comes out next month. If there's any significant change between now and then, it would be quite shocking.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn, they are probably in the process of going gold as we speak. Hopefully a patch on or after release.

The entire game has been up for preloading since January. My guess is that the game has been finished and gold for looong time and Nintendo just held it up to pad the winter/spring release schedule. Don't expect any changes from this demo.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This was a known UE4 game since it was first revealed a year or so ago, so I'd assume it'd have to be one of the earliest Nintendo UE4 titles.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Demo was pretty soft but after Xenoblade 2 I'll happily take it, especially with that smooth performance.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm all for 60FPS but does a game like this really need it? I really wasn't doing anything that required ultra smooth response
in the demo. I think a solid 30FPS is fine for a platformer like this.
Play the Kirby demo (in case you don't own it :P) right after playing the Yoshi demo. It's absolutely worth it to prioritize 60fps IMHO.

I'm all for 60FPS but does a game like this really need it? I really wasn't doing anything that required ultra smooth response
in the demo. I think a solid 30FPS is fine for a platformer like this. I would rather have locked 1080p visuals in docked.
The attract trailer at the end of the demo showed off significantly more intense platforming that the demo featured, and if it has similar unlockable levels like Woolly World had, 60fps is a must.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)

Normally I would agree, but with Platformers like this, I feel like it's mostly a waste. I'd rather have better image quality.

The attract trailer at the end of the demo showed off significantly more intense platforming that the demo featured, and if it has similar unlockable levels like Woolly World had, 60fps is a must.

more intense than the demo, sure. Intense enough for 60fps? eh...

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, that resolution sounds low, I was expecting something like 900p in worst case, not I would takken even 720p. :)
Despite low resolution, its seems that games looks quite good.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Beautiful game but Jesus, under 600p docked on occasion. Odyssey managed 720-900pr at 60fps with sprawling 3D levels.

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The prospect of Nintendo using a mature SDK like Unreal Engine 4 is very exciting. Can't wait to see what they pull off with it if they use it in more future titles. The low res is a little disappointing but for a platformer I can't argue with the 60fps goal. I'm sure this is something they can improve on drastically for future UE4 titles as they get more comfortable with it. The music situation for yoshi titles though.. ugh.

Beautiful game but Jesus, under 600p docked on occasion. Odyssey managed 720-900pr at 60fps with sprawling 3D levels.
Truthfully speaking, Odyssey isn't doing nearly as much with post-processing effects or lighting like this game is doing. Resolution aside, Crafted World looks great and it feels like the culmination of the "handcrafted" aesthetic we saw popularized with LBP a decade ago.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Game looked surprisingly good for the low res it's running. I did notice shimmering in some backgrounds that was mildly distracting but overall it was great.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it took so long for them to make the game, because they wanted that 60fps during the entire gameplay.
Looks good besides the low rez but man... this soundtrack is shit

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the DOF effect works for me. So even with a res bump I think the other stylistic choices would still turn me off.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I played it only in handheld mode and for me it looked gorgeous. My little nephew (4 years old) couldn't stop watching. He fell in love with Yoshi and his mother now has to buy him a Yoshi toy....

Will buy this game after I'm finished playing division 2.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn :(

The game's gorgeous, like most Nintendo titles. It's a real shame Nintendo doesn't invest in more powerful hardware to allow that art to really shine.

I get what you are saying but to be fair, didn't they end up with close to the most powerful chipset possible in the form factor they were aiming for? To go significantly more powerful probably would have meant they would have abandoned the hybrid nature of the Switch.

Hopefully we get a midgen refresh. With all these dynamic resolution games they should automatically see increased resulolution on day one, which would be a big selling point to some, myself included.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a known UE4 game since it was first revealed a year or so ago, so I'd assume it'd have to be one of the earliest Nintendo UE4 titles.
the fact that this game uses dynamic resolution shows that this game benefited from the delay. they would have had to move to a newer version of UE4 for that (or make a custom solution) and that would have broken things

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I agree with DF that the soundtrack is garbage, and this is especially sad when you consider the fact that Yoshi's Island on the SNES had EXCELLENT music.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Runs well, bu overall it's t honestly not too great considering how fuzzy the and sparse the demo is. I hope they fine tune things to a be a bit sharper.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn :(

The game's gorgeous, like most Nintendo titles. It's a real shame Nintendo doesn't invest in more powerful hardware to allow that art to really shine.
I get what you are saying but to be fair, didn't they end up with close to the most powerful chipset possible in the form factor they were aiming for? To go significantly more powerful probably would have meant they would have abandoned the hybrid nature of the Switch.

Hopefully we get a midgen refresh. With all these dynamic resolution games they should automatically see increased resulolution on day one, which would be a big selling point to some, myself included.

In 2015-2016 when the tech was finalized Tegra X1 was the best option. But the hacking scene has been ocverclocking the Switch so I have to wonder if a future firmware patch will add a turbo mode on Switch. Because it will immediately benefit all these dynamic resolution games without game specific patches. The list includes this one and several of Nintendo's 1st party stuff. Not to mention many 3rd party games.

That and a Pro model makes a lot of sense right now. I hope an overclock mode or a pro model gets announced this year.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Passing on this. After dealing with Vita sub-native res on a small screen isa total no-no for me.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm shocked at the docked res, when i played on the tv it looked decent, only in handheld mode did i notice the low resolution.

Same here, 576p... wtf lol. I guess this shows that with certain artstyles resolution is less important. I would have guessed at least 720p native, maybe even 900p but I was sitting around 6 feet from my 4k HDTV.

Nintendo's almost die hard target of 60fps in most of their franchises is at least very commendable.

Hopefully they can further optimise for the final game and hit native 540p in handheld mode and 720p native in docked mode with some decent UE4 based anti-aliasing.

For those that care. We really, really need a Switch Pro with potentially double the GPU flops and memory bandwidth to allow for 720p native handheld and 1080p when docked games.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Surprised they didn't aim for 30fps and push a better resolution in this particular case. Normally I'm behind IQ sacrifices in favour of the frame rate, but for what seems to be a straightforward, fairly easy platformer, maybe a clearer picture would have suited the visuals better.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
BrasĂ­lia
Like I said in other thread, this engine is too heavy for switch. Now we have a first party title running with less than 720p thanks for that choice.
Maybe a upgrade version of wooly world's engine can give similar results with a better solution.
I hope Nintendo don't utilize UE4 in any other game until they have a better hardware to it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game looks pretty bad, honestly. Wasn't a fan of the demo either, so, I wont be picking this one up. Surprised portable mode looks so rough, doesnt appear to be anything fancy going on. No surprise it got delayed so much, game just seems like a mess.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I tried the demo last night in handheld mode, and I'm very surprised that the resolution is supposedly that low.

I have to say that I didn't really notice anything that would suggest 400p or whatnot.

I thought the coins looked pretty cool.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I've just realised that John Linneman sounds like Colin Moriarty and Mr. Van Driessen from Beavis & Butt-Head if you morphed their voices together. Now I can't unhear it.

8305.jpg

On topic though, I prefer 60 fps over res in games like this but I think they probably picked the wrong engine.
Maybe there will be optimisations before release.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why this engine has so poor performance on the switch though. Even in hand held mode the switch should be around the level of the ps3/x360.
I guess the engine as it is today wouldn't run properly on those machines either.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
User warned: platform wars, trolling
Imagine telling a Nintendo fanboy 10 years ago that Nintendo would still have ~480p games in 2019.

Oct 29, 2017
I was very surprised at the resolution. Played it through bot docked and handheld and it was nowhere near as bad as Doom. That was noticeably blurry. The depth of field and 2D platforming makes it a non-issue. I thought it wasn't below 600p portable. And I presumed it didn't dip below 720p in docked. The DoF really takes away most of the issues.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't care so much about the low resolution as i do about the downright terrible music, ugh. It's like they too the soundtrack from Rugrats and added even more bad notes to it

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If the demo is indicative of the entire game's gameplay (slow and exploration focused rather than focused on platforming) I'd have prefered for them to choose resolution over framerate. Image quality in the first level was really bad and - I haven't watched the video yet - I suppose that one is on the higher side of the dynamic resolution.

Same - the demo would definitely have been fine for me at 30fps

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Terrible result. I have no idea why on Earth Good Feel gave up their own (highly performant) HD engine from Wooly World for UE4.

I can only assume that it was part of a back room deal between Nintendo and Epic, in order to secure UE4 support on Switch. And this game was a casualty of that deal.
That doesn't really make any sense; engine developers don't really pay big developers to use their engine so any deal between Nintendo & Epic that would "force" them to use an engine like UE4 is quite far-fetched.

The reality is that while people equate engine = visual/performance, UE4 most likely offers Good Feel much faster iteration loop and production time than it would if they would have had to work with their own engine. This is among the related factors are the main reason why many developers, especially in Japan, have made the switch from internal engine to say UE4:
- less time spent on building tools mean non-engine programmers need to wait (and potentially be assigned other projects or simply suffer from unproductive development environment where they have wait for months before actually getting to make anything that can be compiled and viewed on the target plaform)
- more "free" resources on engine development from collaboration with Epic (who are very active in working with developers that use UE, and often provide stellar support)
- less resources needed for engine programming, where talent is hard to find, is expensive to hire and takes more time than gameplay programmers (which leads to bottlenecks which quickly cost additional millions in the entire budget)

-> all helping (potentially!) to make a game faster with less time needed on building tools, make the game better as the development team can do more iteration upon iteration, make the production cheaper as extremely costly bottlenecks and hiring costs can potentially be reduced. This is also means that you absolutely can't say the game as whole suffered, because most likely there are aspect that are unbeknowns to the player, that greatly improved due to the aforementioned factors. Naturally, the performance aspect is one that can be pondered, but even then there's no real case for saying that these exact visuals with the same budget would have performed in any way better with their previous engine, because there are too many aspects that really can't be determined from an outside perspective.

However, there is one aspect where Nintendo themselves get value out of, rather than GoodFeel:
- work on helping Epic, helps the plaform as the input Epic gets from a developer like GoodFeel using their engine to ship a game, leads to engine improvements, which lead to other people making better products for Switch with UE, which is a big positive for Nintendo