• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic but I'm sad DF seems to have skipped Dragon Quest XIS, it's one of the most impressive ports on Switch IMO

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
we're nearing the end of a console generation, and i can't believe we're actually celebrating that a game this simple is running at 60fps.

yay for this game, but overall it's just a sad state of where we are in console gaming.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
we're nearing the end of a console generation, and i can't believe we're actually celebrating that a game this simple is running at 60fps.

yay for this game, but overall it's just a sad state of where we are in console gaming.

I'm actually quite happy with the current state of console gaming. I can play 4K HDR games (at 30 or 60fps) on consoles now. Last generation I struggled to get stable 30fps with 720p and blurry antialiasing with the PS3 and 360.

I know what you mean with 60fps, but we HAVE seen a lot of improvements in this generation alone.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have been waiting for that one. Seems like it would be a great comparison, from resolution, textures, draw distance, geometry, post processing...

You know. What we expect from DF.

Me too, but they're not obligated to look at any specific games. They've been pretty busy lately and with Overwatch and The Witcher 3 coming soon they have other, higher profile games that will take priority.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we hear that they developed this with Switch in mind first?

That much is clear just from how good it looks on switch. For this type of game, it just makes sense for the switch version to have been the lead version anyway (something that hopefully the bloodstained team keep in mind for their next game!).

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Me too, but they're not obligated to look at any specific games. They've been pretty busy lately and with Overwatch and The Witcher 3 coming soon they have other, higher profile games that will take priority.

I completely understand that. They have a limited staff. BUT, Dragon Quest Switch vs PS4 was...quite big for it to be skipped dont you think?

There are multiple youtube channels that provide side by sides, but none have the mature narration and level of expertise that DF shows so Im just sayng I would still really like to see the comparison.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I think it's more that the previous game wasn't 60fps on consoles and was a little rough here and there.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see that this game is basically perfect everywhere.

I will gladly buy the physical version on Switch.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I completely understand that. They have a limited staff. BUT, Dragon Quest Switch vs PS4 was...quite big for it to be skipped dont you think?

There are multiple youtube channels that provide side by sides, but none have the mature narration and level of expertise that DF shows so Im just sayng I would still really like to see the comparison.
I'd love to do it but September was insane, next week is EGX and there's just a lot happening. The timing was bad and I didn't have the time to make it happen even though I love the game! Haven't tried it on Switch yet, though, beyond the demo.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'd love to do it but September was insane, next week is EGX and there's just a lot happening. The timing was bad and I didn't have the time to make it happen even though I love the game! Haven't tried it on Switch yet, though, beyond the demo.

I completely understand. I still want to see it but I know you have other priorities. Thanks for all the hard work btw, there is a reason I crave for content from you and the others at DF.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks quite good on switch even though it's not native. Mostly on tv and the mcable is one of the most impressive here

on/off/on. The gif diminish the impact it's much bigger in real

7-B9-B88-D2-2-A63-41-E3-A5-D4-F440241-F2-EB8.gif

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm gonna dive in to this one next week, cant wait!

Also the fact that the Switch version is the lead platform is definately the reason why it runs so fine. How many other multiplats have had the Switch as the lead platform?

I think I read somewhere that Trials of Mana uses the Switch as the base platform, if that is true it should definately both look and run great.

There is. At least in Europe.

Okay, because I was trying to order at base.com but I couldn't find it.

Don't get me wrong. TP is superb - one of my favorites. I just feel this is a touch tighter.

That's really high praise! I'm excited to play it now then - won't wait for a sale, I'm in the mood for a good platformer and since Doom got delayed, there's even budget :P

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No PS4 Pro optimization (while there is for Xbox One X) is imo pretty inexcusable at this point. Not going to buy it like that.

That and the dev's comment about "we don't know yet if there's anything we can do"

I don't want to dismiss this with the typical lazy dev rhetoric .. but .. can't help but see this as an incredibly disappointing effort from the developer.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
If they truly designed the game with Switch in mind, it's a little odd why they would have went with such lower resolutions. Especially when Tropical Freeze looks about the same graphically and it runs at much higher resolution, especially docked. I guess it comes down to budget, although I doubt Nintendo spent much to port TF to Switch in any regard.

They use Unity, its a wonder that this game runs as smooth as is does.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Nice analysis as always from DF, really love their channel.
The lower resolution is a bit apparent even in handheld, but the game plays so nice, it's a good "clone" of DK.

Dark1x thanks for everyone's work and keep it up! Hopefully you get the chance to check GRID eventually as it's an amazing game.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Just got this on Switch. Can't wait to play it tomorrow!

Not only is it a good port, it sounds like an amazing port! I couldn't not support this, even if I didn't get to finish the first (yet).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see that Playtonic improved the polishing for their second game. I guess it can only go forward for them in this case. ^^

Looks quite good on switch even though it's not native. Mostly on tv and the mcable is one of the most impressive here

on/off/on. The gif diminish the impact it's much bigger in real

Man, this really makes me want to get one of those cables ... but last time i checked they were really expensive.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see that Playtonic improved the polishing for their second game. I guess it can only go forward for them in this case. ^^

Man, this really makes me want to get one of those cables ... but last time i checked they were really expensive.
Get the new mclassic. It's as good / better with more option (on/off)

i paid 69bucks as an early bird. Now it's 89. Still cheaper and better than the mcable

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It always hurts a bit knowing there's a Switch revision out there that theoretically should be able to manage higher undocked clocks.

In theory, you wouldn't even need the revision to gain more performance undocked. It's always been an issue of power efficiency, battery life and heat.

Get the new mclassic. It's as good / better with more option (on/off)

i paid 69bucks as an early bird. Now it's 89. Still cheaper and better than the mcable

That dongle? Thanks, will look into it, though i would consider 90 bucks for a dongle somewhat expensive, too. ^^

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really? pretty sure they are supposed to ship to entire europe. Didnt know they excluded Germany... They ship to Sweden (2£ per item) so it's very cheap as well.

I'll check again - Germany wasn't on the list of countries during the checkout though. Maybe they are already preparing for Brexit with that?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Switch was the lead platform but it's only 1080p on the pro? I'll wait for a patch or deep discount then.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I was hoping DF would cover DQ11, Fire Emblem and Grid Autosport but it seems they didn't have time for any of them.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why don't you buy it from a German store???
Amazon
You can even get it from Saturn or Media Markt

I can't stand that big USK logo on the front box. I'll gladly pay for a little shipping and even take into account that shipping takes a little longer if I can circumvent that any time. It's a small thing, but one that really gets me - if I pay for a physical edition of something (BluRay, Vinyl, Games), I wanna enjoy the Artwork too and the USK is just destroying that left and right for me.