• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Sega offers up our second Xbox Series X game for analysis. Yakuza Like a Dragon swaps out the 3D brawling action for more traditional RPG combat - but keeps its richly detailed city open to explore. It's everything you know and love the series for is here, but now on the next generation of hardware with some key benefits. Xbox Series X, in this case, offers three unique modes - allowing 4K resolution, up to 60fps performance, and also rapid loading times. Tom explains all.

Thanks to Omen for sponsoring our channel. Watch Omen Underground Presents Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Tournament from the PAX Arena here: https://bit.ly/2ZYE0eH Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon to support the team more directly and to get access to everything we do via pristine quality downloads: https://bit.ly/3jEGjvx Want some DF-branded tee-shirts, mugs, hoodies or pullovers? Check out our store: https://bit.ly/2BqRTt0

---

Text Article:

www.eurogamer.net

Yakuza: Like a Dragon on Xbox Series X - how next-gen hardware delivers a cross-gen experience

Yakuza: Like a Dragon has Sega's much-loved series taking to the new generation in style, an Xbox Series X launch title…

Three modes are on offer: normal, high resolution and high frame-rate. Tackling normal mode first, Series X renders this at native 1440p, with no dynamic resolution scaling. The trade-off for not going for a true native 4K is that everything targets 60fps with full v-sync. Meanwhile, resolution mode aims for a native 3840x2160 but does so with a half-rate refresh, busting down the action to 30fps (with rare frame-pacing issues). Lastly, we have the frame-rate mode; this returns us to a fluid 60fps - though the resolution drops to a native 1080p in this case. The idea is it takes the resolution down even further than the normal mode, in a bid to smooth over some of its performance drops.

The article does not mention anything about Series S's resolution profiles.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Normal mode: 1440 fixed full vsync - solid overall but can drop rarely with very heavy alpha effects. But overall solid
Resolution mode: Native 4k - 30fps
Framerate mode - 1080p - 60fps locked (not secret 120fps mode. They tested that)

Normal mode is the one to choose they say

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Great to see. I am excited to give this a go next year on PS5 - hopefully it can hit 60fps on that environment as well.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
No visual differences between the three modes, it's just:

1080p/60 (High FPS)
1440p/60 (Normal)
4k/30 (High Resolution)

Also regarding loading:

The best part is, even zipping around by taxi, loading times are almost instantaneous. Series X's promise is to leverage fast NVMe storage access, and in Yakuza's case it translates to a friction-free experience when hopping between areas of the map. Loading screens flash by within a couple of seconds, barely giving time to see the bar animate. Most of the world can be explored without interruption, in fairness, but Series X helps further remove the down time.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Does the XSX have any sort of up scaling? It does, right? So then the 1440p would just be up scaled to 4K?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Going by the 3 options the Series X has, I guess we can assume Series S may also have 3 modes ?

1440p/30.
1080p/60~50
900p/locked 60

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Not sure, what's up here. Neither this nor Dirt 5 demonstrate anywhere the capability of what's possible on Series X.

Going by the 3 options the Series X has, I guess we can assume Series S may also have 3 modes ?

1440p/30.
1080p/60~50
900p/locked 60

900p/60 is a rather optimistic prediction for Series S if Series X is managing only 1080p.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No visual differences between the three modes, it's just

1080p/60
1440p/60
4k/30

Definitely normal mode for me

Definitely the middle one for me. Bit surprised this game isn't 4K/60 though. It's not exactly the most graphically impressive title, in-fact it looks decidedly current gen.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
the models and animation look so dated. i cant get into it. considering these things it seems like it should run even higher res.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
900p/60 is a rather optimistic prediction for Series S if Series X is managing only 1080p.

We already know its doing 900p/60 FPS based on the other Yakuza topic, I'm trying to be optimistic with 1080p here lol.

In the other topic we didn't know the game has three performance profiles, we only knew about two.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Definitely the middle one for me. Bit surprised this game isn't 4K/60 though. It's not exactly the most graphically impressive title, in-fact it looks decidedly current gen.

They address that:

In plain text, some of these numbers may seem disappointing - but again, it's important to put it all into context: the Dragon Engine is historically very taxing.

We already know its doing 900p/60 FPS based on the other Yakuza topic, I'm trying to be optimistic with 1080p here lol.

In the other topic we didn't know the game has three performance profiles, we only knew about two.

Think S will have a 720/60 3rd Option?

Or maybe the options are:

900/60
1080/60
1440/30

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Digital Foundry is going to be super busy, lol. Good on them. I hope nothing but continued success and hope they keep doing great work for a great many years.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Normal mode: 1440 fixed full vsync - solid overall but can drop rarely with very heavy alpha effects. But overall solid
Resolution mode: Native 4k - 30fps
Framerate mode - 1080p - 60fps locked (not a secret 120fps mode. They tested that)

Normal mode is the one to choose they say

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think in this case the engine just has a very high GPU cost at its base, whatever it is doing. Really heavy on PC (2080 Ti has trouble getting 4K 60) and 1080p 30 on PS4Pro.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

1440p/30.
1080p/60~50
900p/locked 60

1080p locked 60 on xsx doesn't sound like it'll translate to 900p locked 60 on xss,
its %30 pixel difference, for a gpu thats 3times more powerful.

then again nothing about this games performance profiles make much sense,
seems horribly optimized.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think in this case the engine just has a very high GPU cost at its base, whatever it is doing. Really heavy on PC (2080 Ti has trouble getting 4K 60) and 1080p 30 on PS4Pro.

These fantastic hair don't render for cheap.

okkzp.jpg

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Yakuza games have always looked like they were very GPU hungry intensive to me, mostly due to how cluttered and full of detail everything seems to be

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm really curious how long this whole 'choose frame rate or resolution and effects, etc.' trend lasts.

Also, Tom is my favorite. Good watch as usual.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wow at the bolded, that is surprising. Sounds like a pretty unoptimised engine. Compared to these numbers however, the Series X's look impressive. 1080p/30fps for the Pro is pretty poor, especially given how it looks graphically.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It's both Dragon Engine and SEGA Japan/RGGS not putting any effort on optimizing their own engine and game.

Kiwami 2 on PC with much better hardware than XSX couldn't keep 4K/60fps.
Not putting any effort, or just not having the time? This is not a huge rockstar-level team.

anyway, my most hyped game next gen game of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
It's both Dragon Engine and SEGA Japan/RGGS not putting any effort on optimizing their own engine and game.
I don't think that's fair. There's more to an engine than just the raw graphical output. The fact that their tools allow them to put out so many large games so frequently is a credit to their tech.

It would be nice to see better performance but the games don't look bad or run terribly. They're behind the cutting edge but that doesn't mean the studios don't care.

That said, if the engine supported dynamic resolutions we could probably get higher average resolutions across the 60fps modes.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at the bolded, that is surprising. Sounds like a pretty unoptimised engine. Compared to these numbers however, the Series X's look impressive. 1080p/30fps for the Pro is just poor.

The last couple of Dragon Engine games were all the same on Pro.

Yakuza 6, Kiwami 2 even Judgment.

All ran at 1080p/30 on Pro and 900p/30 on OG PS4.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the standard we're looking at for all of next gen. 1440/60, or 4K/30. I don't think 4K/60 is truly viable for heavy games, maybe 1800p at most.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like the Xbox Series X version will easily be the best console version even if they didn't exactly go above and beyond in optimization.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The last couple of Dragon Engine games were all the same on Pro.

Yakuza 6, Kiwami 2 even Judgment.

All ran at 1080p/30 on Pro and 900p/30 on OG PS4.

Last Yakuza I played was Zero so I hadn't realised, though I have others in my backlog.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will Yakuza Like A Dragon be on Game Pass?

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
No it don't

hah

Also looking at Tom's great video here - it looks like this game, like so many japanese games budget's its effects very highly. All of that alpha, so close to the camera. Yeah, no GPU likes that.
Alex, you should do a video on why alpha close to the camera tanks framerate so much. Maybe it would be a shorter video, but it could be useful to reference whenever performance problems related to this issue pop up.