• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Page 2 update.
External SSD is near identical to internal.

arstechnica.com

Xbox Series X hands-on: The big back-compat dive begins [Updated]

Xbox Quick Resume impresses. Plus: New controller, auto-HDR, venting holes, and more.
Thanks. So we can assume when we have legit Series X/S games and/or Optimized X/S games that must run from the internal or the expansion that load times could be even faster! That is great. It is also great that a USB SSD almost matches the speed for non Series X/S games. I have a 1tb external SSD on my Xbox One X paired with a 8tb HDD that i will hook up to the Series X and also the SSD Expansion. Will keep most common played BC titles on the SSD External and all Optimized/Native Series games on the SSD Expansion and Internal.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Big shoutout to everybody who downplayed the value of backwards compatibility... but simultaneously gloated about the hundreds of games they have in their PS Plus and Gold subscription library

xD

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If someone hasn't "gotten around to" a title released 8 months ago for a console they own, that implies they had very little interest in the game in the first place, and that cannot be simultaneously true with being super hyped about being able to play it at a higher framerate in the future

Jesus Christ dude lmao.

People have lives. And multiple games they are excited to play. Or games they were excite for but that excitement was dampened due to poor performance or something like that.

What a presumptuous, insulting, and really dumb take.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
They'll work but they aren't getting these sexy boost.
"According to the official PlayStation blog post about the PS5 specs, "backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5", which will allow these titles to "benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions.""
Seems like they will.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
"According to the official PlayStation blog post about the PS5 specs, "backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5", which will allow these titles to "benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions.""
Seems like they will.
Guess I'll have to see it.

Sony hasn't really shown anything.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like they will.
of course they will. how high is yet to be seen. i could easily see a handful of titles that actually run better on PS5 considering so many targeted lower resolution on Pro

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Is this a bold prediction for a game that is originally developed for the Xbox One, and has the GTX 1060 in the recommended specs for PC?

You're really out on a limb here.
Considering that the majority of users here seem to think that even the next-gen upgrade version with RTX and all the "bells and whistles" enabled wouldn't be capable of 4K/60fps ... I'm not just out on a limb; I'm leaping around the entire forest
4C6qdYi.gif

🤷‍♂️

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Seems like they will.
This isn't as clear as you might think. PS4 Pro boost mode didn't use half the compute units, instead just running the same number of compute units as the PS4 vanilla had at the Pros higher clock speeds. If they aren't leveraging all the CUs again (and I haven't seen confirmation either way) then it's not going to offer the same levels of performance increases as TFlops might make you think. That'd be a very respectable 2.5 times increase in available GPU power for PS4 Pro titles and a rather disappointing 2.5 times increase for PS4 titles without pro support.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Have they done a SSD comparison test yet?

edit:Oh I just got there in the video... NM

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Considering that the majority of users here seem to think that even the next-gen upgrade version with RTX and all the "bells and whistles" enabled wouldn't be capable of 4K/60fps ... I'm not just out on a limb; I'm leaping around the entire forest
4C6qdYi.gif

🤷‍♂️
Oh you mean 4K/60fps with ray traycing? Now you have my attention.

Because you're talking crazy.

Unless you mean with just the token little RT we've seen so far from the consoles.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Oh you mean 4K/60fps with ray traycing? Now you have my attention.

Because you're talking crazy.

Unless you mean with just the token little RT we've seen so far from the consoles.
Yes, I mean with Ray Tracing.

If you watch the Digital Foundry video I linked below; it details that the Xbox Series X accomplishes DirectX Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing in parallel to the standard processing shaders - what would have taken an extra 13 teraflops to accomplish [over 25 teraflops in total] the Xbox Series X can process on a case-by-case basis:

*10:23 if the timestamp doesn't take.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
LOL nextgen can't even run last gen at 4K/60 is some serious cringe shit. These games haven't been patched. A lot were were coded for a fixed platform or two fixed platforms.

As far as Sony goes, I believe AMD designed the BC so I at least have good hopes for compatibility but I'll be shocked if the improvements are on the scale of Series X.

Given I have both PS5 and Series X on order, I really, really hope I am wrong and we see the same scope of improvement.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yes, I mean with Ray Tracing.

If you watch the Digital Foundry video I linked below; it details that the Xbox Series X accomplishes DirectX Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing in parallel to the normal processing shaders - what would have taken an extra 13 teraflops to accomplish [over 25 teraflops in total] the Xbox Series X can process on a case-by-case basis:

*10:23 if the timestamp doesn't take.

He's simply explaining how hardware acceleration works, not something unique to the XSX.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks. So we can assume when we have legit Series X/S games and/or Optimized X/S games that must run from the internal or the expansion that load times could be even faster! That is great. It is also great that a USB SSD almost matches the speed for non Series X/S games. I have a 1tb external SSD on my Xbox One X paired with a 8tb HDD that i will hook up to the Series X and also the SSD Expansion. Will keep most common played BC titles on the SSD External and all Optimized/Native Series games on the SSD Expansion and Internal.
I believe that is exactly what I am going to do

I have the 8tb drive already. It will become long term storage. I was going to pick up the 1 tb plug in for 300 Canadian, but instead will get a sata 3 ssd in USB enclosure and use it for bc games. It will cost just over 100 bucks.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Hahaha, what a swerve. "Oh, naming everyone would be too much, but it did happen, oh just one? No, that would be cruel."

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
If you make a statement, either put up or shut up, because dancing around it is just funny.
Hmm, a predictably aggressive tone. I've seen it before.

Thousands of comments are made daily on this forum. And you expect people to pick and choose which ones to save, specifically to use them at some later point in time; or take the time to find specific comments among the hundreds that a single user makes in a week?

Good luck with that.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
If you're going to make a statement about what you're claiming is widespread behaviour, it shouldn't be hard to backup.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I need some Auto HDR impressions on these older games. It's going to be fun revisiting old titles like dead space with this feature.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
If someone hasn't "gotten around to" a title released 8 months ago for a console they own, that implies they had very little interest in the game in the first place, and that cannot be simultaneously true with being super hyped about being able to play it at a higher framerate in the future

Or maybe you know, They have a life?

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
One user would suffice. I have come across people that have downplayed the importance or impact of BC in any given system. But mocking is not something I'd associate with a feature that only serves to add to the overall experience.
I visit this forum and its threads daily and I have 100% seen comments such as "I dont buy new hardware for old games" and " I dont expect my old games to work on new consoles".

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Geoff out here putting the XSX through its real paces.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
That cold boot up time, damn.
Pretty sure that's a warm boot (from standby), no?

This isn't as clear as you might think. PS4 Pro boost mode didn't use half the compute units, instead just running the same number of compute units as the PS4 vanilla had at the Pros higher clock speeds. If they aren't leveraging all the CUs again (and I haven't seen confirmation either way) then it's not going to offer the same levels of performance increases as TFlops might make you think. That'd be a very respectable 2.5 times increase in available GPU power for PS4 Pro titles and a rather disappointing 2.5 times increase for PS4 titles without pro support.
I don't think that makes any sense. Even if it were the case: Are there any games without a Pro mode, that run badly / uncapped enough on a base PS4 to not be maxed out by half the PS5's CUs at 2.5x the speed? It'd have to be 1080p/60 but actually runs at ~20fps, and I don't think that happened.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
That's just people talking about their opinion on BC.
Not everyone values BC on a personal level. That's nothing new.
I typically don't care about BC because I keep my consoles for the most part.......but for someone who is getting their first XBox in the XBSX, the backwards compatibility will keep me in games the entire generation for low cost.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Were the Prototype games capped? I know the remasters were a shitty job but I'd like to replay them at 60fps if possible

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Is it also boosting or stabilizing resolution? The FPS boost on its own is impressive though.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Great stuff, but I need to how one game runs in particular.

Dark1x / Dictator

How does AC unity run on the Series X?

It's one of the best looking games, that was annoying to play on current gen to say the least.