• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The way pro functions where it shuts off half the gpu to work for non-enhanced titles. I imagine by default, PS5 will do the same and also downclock CUs. Then, in boost mode, it will clock up but not increase CUs.
Boost mode on pro uses half the CUs, but the clocks are still running at native speeds for the GPU and CPU. We still don't know how PS5 will handle boost mode, but PS4 Pro and PS5 do have the same number of CUs so maybe that won't be an issue anymore.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get that excited over backwards compatibility until they add some of the lost Xbox Original gems, like Jet Set Radio Future.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hrm. So how are Microsoft modifying Gears Ultimate if it's not in the original code and it's not running via emulation?
I don't know. LOL If my understanding is right, then I can only assume their techniques and methods have evolved and have gotten more advanced. Perhaps it's something simple due to it running natively.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I guess there's no real reason for me to hold onto my Xbox One X if I'm getting a Series X, is there?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd say this, but I wish more XB1 games had had unlocked framerates, lol. So awesome seeing these games run nearly locked 60.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The way pro functions where it shuts off half the gpu to work for non-enhanced titles. I imagine by default, PS5 will do the same and also downclock CUs. Then, in boost mode, it will clock up but not increase CUs.

The Pro boost mode did offer framerate improvements for most PS4 games, but obviously it was still limited by pretty weak hardware. The PS5 Boost mode should be an expansion of that. It won't work miracles but games with uncapped framerates should get to a solid 60.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Impressive

Damn. As someone who isn't a BC warrior, thats a system selling feature right there

That basically gets rid of the need for remasters this gen

Not to mention sets a precedent that hopefully informs dev design decisions going forward. The more work devs do to give performance options in a game at launch, or at least design the game with a quick patch later on in mind, the more they'll benefit 3-7 years down the line when a new console launches.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they tested a HDD connected to the Series X and compared load times in addition to a traditional SSD connected to the Series X and test that as well. Would like to see those type of results as well. If a BC game can load from a traditional SSD External close to the speed of the internal SSD then that would save some space.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
At the games launch? I don't know about that. They keep saying that a next gen patch wont be till next year sometime.

It will be enhanced to some degree at launch on all next gen consoles.

www.windowscentral.com

Cyberpunk 2077 will 'look better' on Xbox Series X and PS5 at launch, full next-gen update in 2021

While Cyberpunk 2077 will receive a full next-gen update in 2021, CD Projekt Red assures investors the game will look better on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 from launch day.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The Sekiro image posted earlier in this thread showing 60fps got me excited for no reason, the video shows that it's struggling with that target rather frequently during combat and tall grass stealth.

This is too unstable for my liking:
fba09e90-acb5-427d-at0jor.jpeg

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I wish they tested a HDD connected to the Series X and compared load times in addition to a traditional SSD connected to the Series X and test that as well. Would like to see those type of results as well. If a BC game can load from a traditional SSD External close to the speed of the internal SSD then that would save some space.
They said that is something that they will look into.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely gonna jump back in for MHW
it's been so long but seeing the improvements motivates me to continue playing it

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've only got a One S lol. If I get the XSX the One S will go into a room for a media streaming box. Ill keep the controller then and I don't think I could get much money for it anyway.

This was my original plan, throw it in the living room as a netflix/plex/etc box, but I can also trade in my XBoX to EB for $250 credit or so towards the series X.. it may be more financially beneficial to trade it and then just get a chrome cast or something for the living room... decisions decisions..

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
I guess there's no real reason for me to hold onto my Xbox One X if I'm getting a Series X, is there?

Probably only need the older console if you use 1) Kinect or 2) the extra HDMI port for cable boxes/external media devices. For just regular ass controller gaming though, it increasingly sounds like there's no reason to keep the old one.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
With VRR compatible screen that would be awesome.

Agreed but i think the amount of people with a vrr screen will be tiny. At least for the first couple years so trying to hit 60 fps locked will be important. So my guess is Sekiro will be one of the games getting a special patch.

Jan 21, 2019
Finally, some comparisons as to why THE CONSOLE is awesome. I am happy for every Xbox fan, your next console is an absolute masterpiece of engineering.
Microsoft outdid themselves again after their fantastic Xbox one x.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
This was my original plan, throw it in the living room as a netflix/plex/etc box, but I can also trade in my XBoX to EB for $250 credit or so towards the series X.. it may be more financially beneficial to trade it and then just get a chrome cast or something for the living room... decisions decisions..
I was going to trade in but I couldn't get EB only the Microsoft Store. And they where only going to give me around $80 for the console without a controller (which I want to keep), so not really worth the hassle tbh.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit sobering, seeing next gen still struggle to hit a locked 60 on current gen games. My expectations for next gen have been appropriately adjusted.

This has completely taken the Series S out of the equation for me, though.
Did you listen to the video at all? None of these games are optimized for the next gen consoles. It's all brute force backwards compatibility. Games taking advantage of the system's architecture will have even bigger gains.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One X version - and both.

Hope you're right. I wish CDPR would just tell us what resolution/frame-rate we can expect on the next-gen consoles.

AC: Valhalla and COD: Black Ops Cold War will be 4K/60 FPS on next-gen consoles, so it's going to seem odd if Cyberpunk isn't matching those upgrades.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly this is about what I expected given the raw power difference between the Series X and One X. Boosting unlocked games to 60fps is the bare minimum really, the fact it still drops is worse than I hoped but they can still improve it by launch.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Jeff Grubb did that in his video

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did you listen to the video at all? None of these games are optimized for the next gen consoles. It's all brute force backwards compatibility. Games taking advantage of the system's architecture will have even bigger gains.
I mean if From software wants to make a Series X version, it can run better. But for most games BC is all we are going to get. It will probably take the next refresh to get some games to run at 60 FPS