• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly, for this PS4Pro titles which performed poorly, the PS5 should be more technically capable at running them at full framerate compared with Series X *in theory*, because the jump in GPU power from PS4Pro to PS5 is larger than from One X to Series X.

However, the majority of One X games seem to hit their full framerate on Series X anyway. and the downside of this is the fact that Series X gets native 4k BC games as opposed to checkerboarding or otherwise subnative on the whole for PS5 BC games.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad to see MS continue to care about improving BC. It's something that all consoles should do.

A lot of console-only owners don't realize how amazing it is to go back to a crappy performing game and have it play like a dream with stronger hardware, but they're about to.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I kinda wish Microsoft mandated that developers do things that make them scale up well... Dynamic resolution, unlocked frame rates, etc. With BC and mid gen refreshes, there is no reason developers should lock things so much.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish Microsoft mandated that developers do things that make them scale up well... Dynamic resolution, unlocked frame rates, etc. With BC and mid gen refreshes, there is no reason developers should lock things so much.
Are you talking about MS owned devs? Because you can't mandate shit to third parties.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If someone hasn't "gotten around to" a title released 8 months ago for a console they own, that implies they had very little interest in the game in the first place, and that cannot be simultaneously true with being super hyped about being able to play it at a higher framerate in the future

Hi, I am interested in Sekiro and Control but those run horrible at my PS4. Even a game like MHW run better. Thanks to this news is pushing me to want a XSX this year and not until 2021.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Dumbass question - for games with a locked FPS like 30, can a developer easily unlock this and roll out a patch? Or does it mess things up and be more complicated than that?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Are you talking about MS owned devs? Because you can't mandate shit to third parties.

I know they wouldn't actually force it (im sure they could as part of the certification process) but it would be nice haha. XGS devs should definitely be doing it, especially when they are supporting PC as well.

Mar 8, 2018
If someone hasn't "gotten around to" a title released 8 months ago for a console they own, that implies they had very little interest in the game in the first place, and that cannot be simultaneously true with being super hyped about being able to play it at a higher framerate in the future
I think the lens of being on an enthusiast forum warps this conversation pretty severely. I can absolutely imagine a scenario in which someone puts off playing a title that they were excited for, which released on a platform they own, and that the same person is extremely excited to play the game at a higher frame rate or resolution in the future. There's a whole universe of scenarios where this could apply that have nothing to do with games or the sufficiency of someone's hype or the broad utility of BC improvements.

Maybe someone really wanted to play the game, but they were moving to a new city, or just had a kid, or changed jobs, or started school, etc. People delay purchases, even ones they're extremely interested in, for any number of reasons. Those same people can be just as excited to play an improved version as anyone else.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
As a consumer, Microsoft is making all the right moves right now. This backwards compatibility boost is quite impressive. It's like when I get a new GPU for my PC.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This could not be more wrong. Plenty of people don't play games they're interested in for a variety of reasons. I have a long list of games that I'm interested in that I haven't gotten around to playing.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I know they wouldn't actually force it (im sure they could as part of the certification process) but it would be nice haha. XGS devs should definitely be doing it, especially when they are supporting PC as well.
Oh I bet there's more than a few going the extra mile on the XGS side.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, was hoping they'd show unpatched AC Unity.
rewatching the video from DS and saw this
ugh
i really wanna see games with the next gen patches

hbXq1W5.png
At least the games that still have issues seem to stay with in the typical VRR range.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Very happy with the performances on a lot of the games. Using X mostly for BC games and GP at the moment so going to go through a lot I've never tried before.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My question is how will the ps5 backward compatibility work. Could we get better results since it has 36 cu's like the ps4 pro(double the regular ps4) but a much faster clock? I'm super curious. Then there's the ssd.
Can't wait to see. Super good results on series x

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Disappointing Sekiro performance, I assumed XSX would be able to do locked 60fps without problem :\

Now I fear for the PS5 version lol

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This is a bit sobering, seeing next gen still struggle to hit a locked 60 on current gen games. My expectations for next gen have been appropriately adjusted.

This has completely taken the Series S out of the equation for me, though.

This made me chuckle.

You do realize these are games running in a Backwards Compatible mode, right?

They're not native games built for the system. It's new hardware brute forcing a game built for a different hardware (and even adding things like HDR on top). I think it takes a total lack of understanding of what is being done here, to not be impressed.

Disappointing Sekiro performance, I assumed XSX would be able to do locked 60fps without problem :\

While your post isn't the same as the one above, it's similar.

If you're getting this kind of performance from a pre-release build running BC games, I'd think there's no-where but up from here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
This kinda stuff is pushing me to get an Xbox first next gen.. I need to upgrade my S before my Pro.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
This made me chuckle.

You do realize these are games running in a Backwards Compatible mode, right?

They're not native games built for the system. It's new hardware brute forcing a game built for a different hardware (and even adding things like HDR on top). I think it takes a total lack of understanding of what is being done here, to not be impressed.
Yeah, Xbox One X can't even run GTAIV smoothly and look at what that system could do.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Dumbass question - for games with a locked FPS like 30, can a developer easily unlock this and roll out a patch? Or does it mess things up and be more complicated than that?
Depends on how the game was coded. Okami HD is locked at 30 for instance. The game breaks if the framerate is unlocked. Like you will have problem timing action because of how it was actually made. But games from the last (current) gen are probably not coded that way.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017

This has to be a parody account, right?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad to see MS continue to care about improving BC. It's something that all consoles should do.

A lot of console-only owners don't realize how amazing it is to go back to a crappy performing game and have it play like a dream with stronger hardware, but they're about to.

Absolutely. It should not be a viable option for people that don't want to keep their old systems to have to do so. Especially considering past digital versions. Being able to sell my old systems for new toys is awesome, while the games of yesteryear are upgraded to almost remaster shape..

..for no additional cost.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad console players can finally play Sekiro at 60fps.
I played on PC and every frame counts in that hard ass game.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, that's what I was assuming with my prior post.

But the person I was replying to cited a line from the DF writeup that seemed to suggest otherwise. That at least the Series S might run BC games as-well as the One X.

Current Xbox One games probably won't be the X versions in resolution and the such, but they will probably have other improvents over XBX

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

Lol, have you posted here before?

Backlogs, backlogs everywhere...

A lot of enthusiasts will make use of these upgrades, I've been meaning to complete Sekiro, I'll have a reason to seamlessly reload my save now.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
How long have you been on era?
Backlogs threads are the norm here

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Interestingly, for this PS4Pro titles which performed poorly, the PS5 should be more technically capable at running them at full framerate compared with Series X *in theory*, because the jump in GPU power from PS4Pro to PS5 is larger than from One X to Series X.

However, the majority of One X games seem to hit their full framerate on Series X anyway. and the downside of this is the fact that Series X gets native 4k BC games as opposed to checkerboarding or otherwise subnative on the whole for PS5 BC games.
This is actually something I'm interested in too. Specifically, how does PS5 BC handle games that were checkerboarded. Dynamic res is easy to scale up with more hardware. But, checkerboarding seems like it wouldn't necessarily scale up the same way, or at least would be kind of wasting some of that effort. But I could totally be wrong.

Sorry, what do you want to check?
If we can afford it, I assume.

Edit: Ahh, yep. That was it.

Important to note this distinction though - it's 12TF of last-gen GCN-based console with Zen 2.

When running in Backwards compatibility, it's been confirmed by Microsoft as not using any of the RDNA2 features of the CPU/GPU;

Yea, without a patch at least. If you wanted to make any use of the RDNA2 features, I assume you'd need to patch anyway. Unless that includes something like the inherent power efficiencies of RDNA2 over GCN (which I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, is not what is meant there? But perhaps!)

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Has there been any indication that games with an uncapped framerate can go above 60fps when plugged into a 120hz display?

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Sony has two completely separate consoles with completely separate games that are sometimes linked together using an entitlement program.

Xbox One and Xbox Series games on the other hand are functionally the same. Although it isn't mandatory, Microsoft encourages smart delivery and sees it as an extension of their backwards (forwards?) compatibility strategy. Whether Yakuza 5 on next-gen is a "Series X game" or a "One X game with a patch" largely comes down to semantics. That's why it's part of the general back compat discussion.
This seems absolutely correct.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any indication that games with an uncapped framerate can go above 60fps when plugged into a 120hz display?

This is what I want to know. I saw some 63-65, etc. fps here and there in some videos, but unsure if that would output externally to the high hz displays. Some old 360 games such as Bioshock should be able to do 4K120 as they're unlocked.

delete

Jul 4, 2019

On ps4 pro the uncapped frame rate was higher than on the xbox one x, as shown in the DF video. The PS5 doesn't have as big a gap to reach locked 60 as the series x does, will be interesting to see once DF get their hands on a ps5.