• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But the Series X doesn't downclock, it gives the full power to the game (though not all features).
If PS5 has to downclock the CPU for compatibility reason then yes, the GPU will "boost" but the CPU is not running at full clocks. How is that the same then?
For the Pro, its not just the gpu that gets boosted, the cpu does too.

If whatever boost mode the PS5 does, it will be the same.

The other modes are for plain, vanilla BC. Cerny mentioned some of this in the Road to PS5...that's where the 100 games tested madness keeps coming from. Running PS4 games in a boosted mode.

Those asking about down clocking, in the video about 4:10 there is a note the MS confirmed no down clocking, but its not using RDNA 2 arch improvements in BC.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch this at the moment but did DF take a look at the original Evil Within? Resolution is likely the same since it predates the One X, but I'm interested in Framerate performance on that one.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
They should've tested Just Cause 3, and Prey for the loading times. Great video, and awesome results.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that PS5 will be bottlenecked by ps4 pro in some cases, compared to Xbox. Some ps4 pro games for example run at 1440p, whereas One X runs at 1800p.
Yes, but there are also benefits. The Pro and 5 are both the weaker of the two systems, so perhaps it'll scale better. Pro also had an additional year of support, so some games will be better on the PS5 while they're stuck with OG Xbox One limitations on Series X. It's a mixed bag, really.

I just hope Sony's BC really delivers. I want to know if I can get rid of my Pro. I feel it's a safe bet, but I don't want to leap just yet.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
schermafbeelding2020-rrjxy.png
Is that Hitman? Please tell me its Hitman!

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
I don't know why but I think the roles gonna get reversed this gen with Xbox being on top ( at least in the us) with their backwards compatibility and game pass.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think there is potential for the PS5 to do very well here. All things being relative. The PS5 GPU runs at higher frequencies AND the PS4/PS4 Pro games usually have lower ceilings so I think you may see more games performing to their fullest potential on the platform.

Couple of things I'm interested in though. Does BX on the series X use SMT on or OFF and how does the PS5 GPU handle checkerboarding since the PS4 Pro had dedicated hardware which I assume the PS5 does not have.
So first of all PS4 games usually run at a lower resolution comparing Pro to X but higher on base PS4 than X1. The "interesting" games though happened after Pro launch as they have drs and unlocked fps. Sadly the Pro upgrades won't be as pronounced as the X versions as the res limit was often not as high as on the X.
For fps upgrades I think this is almost even, fps might run locked if it didn't before but to which extend we will have to see.
When it comes to CBR this is rather interesting. I think many games used CBR without the special hardware but for the games that do? Perhaps it's still somewhere in the system and they didn't tell us yet.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Oh man,
those improvements in Dead or Alive 6 (which I was really excited to see), Monster Hunter World, Hitman, Sekiro, and no Man's Sky are awesome.

These games show why developers should give us options for max resolution with unlocked framerates.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
But most people in this thread is expressing hype about games they just played VERY recently, like Sekiro etc. We're not taking about games from 10-20yrs ago like the Mario collection, which many have NOT played since they have not been available for the switch nor the last couple generations of consoles.

Also, my point is that backcompat for existing games is being used as the main motivator for buying a new console. I have never, ever recalled that happening with any previous console launch.
Some people want to replay a game they enjoyed, some games are even better upon replays. Hell, people replayed TLoU Part II after finishing it. People replay recent games for several reasons. For some it might be a huge reason to get a console, especially during the initial period. I don't see where the issue is. The general market won't care as much, but if some people here want to get a Series X first because of its (apparently so far) better BC solution, then that's great for them.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next-Gen Console with Thousands of Games at Launch - Xbox Wire

[Update 9/14/20: We’re happy to share that backward compatible titles will be coming to Xbox Series S as well as Xbox Series X. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of...

Lol
umm ?

am I missing something ?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they said anything about input delay comparison with the current gen controller?
Honestly, DLI will be nice but it's probably not something that's going to be a particularly big deal. I don't think anyone was really complaining about controller latency on current Xbox One controllers.

And regardless, current gen controllers will be receiving an update that enables DLI as well.

Still, every little bit helps!

Oct 29, 2017
It was funny as I was explaining it to my wife who saw me watching this video , she actually asked me about Viva Pinata and how it would benefit from it...I mean it probably won't but I was in shock that she actually membered the name of a videogame and expressed some interest

Your wife is in for a treat. Viva Pinata is in Game Pass and is enhanced to 4K on X1X/Series X.

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
I would love that Sony aproached backwards compatibility at least the same level as Microsoft for ps4 games, I don't have a ps4 and I'd love to play certain ps4 key titles with these improvements...

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Ahhh the games I really wanted to see obviously arent in the program. Would love to have seen dark souls 3, kingdom hearts 3 etc

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
As someone who has not had a XboxOne since the very beginning of the gen, the value I will get out of Gamepass and this improved BC catalogue will be insane.

It was funny as I was explaining it to my wife who saw me watching this video , she actually asked me about Viva Pinata and how it would benefit from it...I mean it probably won't but I was in shock that she actually membered the name of a videogame and expressed some interest

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Some people want to replay a game they enjoyed, some games are even better upon replays. Hell, people replayed TLoU Part II after finishing it. People replay recent games for several reasons. For some it might be a huge reason to get a console, especially during the initial period. I don't see where the issue is. The general market won't care as much, but if some people here want to get a Series X first because of its (apparently so far) better BC solution, then that's great for them.
Xbox One didn't start doing better until BC for 360 games was introduced. Fans respected that move and jumped back. That's what I did.

I bought the Xbox One in Nov. 2015 and I had an instant digital catalog thanks to BC. It was nice.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the FF XV example is that it's the lite mode right?

I think Square would need to patch the high mode to unlock its framrate in this case. I wish they would just do that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that PS5 will be bottlenecked by ps4 pro in some cases, compared to Xbox. Some ps4 pro games for example run at 1440p, whereas One X runs at 1800p.
IMO, one thing that was an absolute blessing in disguise for MS and the power of the XBO....they had to rely on dynamic resolution early on. Where Sony was on locked resolution.

That is going to do wonders for XBO games on Series X.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Question is does this extra power mean frame pacing issues are improved or wil lthey stay exactly the same?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It'll work about as well as the PS4 Boost mode. I.e. maybe 10% of the time you'll get a small performance increase. Sony's strategy is still to gate clear increases behind paid remasters.

All I want on launch is for God of War to run at a locked 60 in performance mode. If that doesn't happen and I'm locked to Pro performance, there will be hell to pay.
The small gains in boost mode come from the fact that ps4 pro was still using a jaguar cpu. PS4 in boost mode runs the CPU and GPU at full clock speed. It's the same reason Xbox one x only had small boost for games that didn't have X support.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Back when I was more of a hardcore PC gamer 2 decades ago, one of the first things I did when I upgraded my PC was play a bunch of old games at highest settings. The entire reason I even consider paying for Remasters again these days is the extra frames. I know "old games" isn't for everyone but all this is super exciting to me. Cannot wait to play Sekiro again!

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me VRR/FreeSync will be forced system wide on XSX. If it's the same like it was on previous consoles, where each developer had to enable it manually then it's going to be another disappointment with VRR on consoles.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Phenomenal video. Xbox has nailed the ecosystem aspect of their brand and putting the console in to people's hands 5-6 weeks before release and letting them make content for it really shows their confidence and it's easy to see why.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Fair enough. Though didn't PS3 drop PS2 backwards compat in later models? Both have black marks if you want to look back but MS is clearly championing it more now. Has Sony ever had multiple gen backwards compat? (I honestly don't know).

Edit: Wait, PS4 wasn't fully backwards compat with PS3. Am I missing something here? PS1 had nothing to be backwards compat with, so at most PS2 and PS3 (partial gen) had full backwards compat.

NOTE: I don't consider PS Now a viable option for backwards compat.

Never mind, my point is MS did not know what BC was (on consoles) when Sony was embracing it quite naturally. Hardware of PS2 and PS3 was a tragic mistake in the long run preventing BC to be on PS4 (for PS3) and on later PS3 models (for PS2). PS3 , original launch unit, had PS1 and PS2 compatibility built in (literally, there were PS2 chips on PS3 mainboard).

Being so far behind in BC MS invested a lot into what it is now- absolutely leading solution, but the point is it was not there from the beginning, and I dare to say, it is here b/c that was the cheapest way for such a software giant MS is, to build some competitive edge over Sony

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I can't find the bloody chart that showed this now to link to you. Just for 100% clarity - I don't want to mislead anyone if I misinterpreted it, but I'm almost certain.

I'll edit my post just in case.

Sounds like the Save state data (which almost entirely comprises of data present in the RAM at the time of the game being to execute Quick Resume feature) will still be written on to the internal (or external bespoke) Seagate SSD module, as opposed to all typical loading and streaming being done from the customer determinant external HDD/SSD.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
yea, this is the console to have if you have any backlog from current gen whatsoever.

especially when you consider how mediocre launch lineup exclusives will be. and you can get a lot of these current-gen games for dirt cheap.

this is amazing.

Even if you don't have backlog, just use Gamepass and buy whatever game you are interested in.

I have a massive PS3 + a decent PS4 catalog, and I really don't see why I shouldn't go for the Xbox Series S/X. My PS3 catalog is as stuck in there as it would if I don't buy a PS5.

PeaceSeeker

Chicken Chaser
Apr 17, 2018
I guess I'll never understand the hype for this stuff. If you told me I could play my favourite games of all time at the highest frame rates and resolution, I wouldn't feel an ounce of hype. I've already played them. Increased resolution and framerate are not going to substantially improve the experience and not enough of a motivator to play the exact same game again instead of investing that time into something new.

Because i haven't yet played/finished the games in my collection

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Xbox One didn't start doing better until BC for 360 games was introduced. Fans respected that move and jumped back. That's what I did.

I bought the Xbox One in Nov. 2015 and I had an instant digital catalog thanks to BC. It was nice.
Yeah and those BC efforts are paying off for users and for Xbox, it's a great feature to have and a big reason I'll be getting a Series X next year.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
I guess I'll never understand the hype for this stuff. If you told me I could play my favourite games of all time at the highest frame rates and resolution, I wouldn't feel an ounce of hype. I've already played them. Increased resolution and framerate are not going to substantially improve the experience and not enough of a motivator to play the exact same game again instead of investing that time into something new.

Not everyone has played all Xbox One/360/OX games. And we will see more Xbox One games in 2021.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
Squeezed in about 10 minutes on my lunch break and from what I saw the results look amazing! Microsoft backwards compatibility team deserves a ton of credit/praise, great results!