• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

8K, 120Hz, Variable Refresh Rate... well, the first one is off the cards but 120Hz support and VRR are already built into Xbox One X and Xbox One S - so what do they actually do? With no games running at 120Hz, is there actually any point? Well YES... and no! Rich has the detailed lowdown - plus a retrospective appreciation of Xbox's support for next-gen display features.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be honest, I didn't even know current Xboxes support VRR.

edit: Ignore this post please, I got VRR and VRS mixed up.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just realized the Series X promo talks about Resolutions and Framerates we have never seen before....Like ever.

120Hz isnt even considered hyper fast these days.
4K is old news.

But yeah 120Hz makes alot of sense, i imagine the Series X will support 120 and 144.
With VRR being baked into the system will make gaming so much smoother when games fail to meet that 60fps target.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I own a C9 would running BFV in 120Hz give me a smoother experience online? I guess I'll try it. I do believe Gears 5 and The Division 2 supports VRR.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Base PS4 also supports 120hz in actual games and not just in theory. So according to DF PS4 is already next gen !

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
This was fun to watch but I wish there was better information out there as far as details on VRR/120hz enabled games on X. Great work as always.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alex needs to do a voice over whenever one of his friends and colleagues say "WulvenStain" XD

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great forward thinking stuff, but honestly I can't perceive the difference, it's negligible for me, but might just be the examples. Nice for those who are sensitive I guess.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Disparaging game journalists
Aren't DF like MS's best friend when it comes to giving them info for anything Xbox ? I thought MS go to them for technical announcements. I sense biasism with Xbox consoles generally with DF now. This seems like another of those articles but it's still good to know I guess about the future of different displays.

like they could just as easily make this video using PC too ages ago

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Aren't DF like MS's best friend when it comes to giving them info for anything Xbox ? I thought MS go to them for technical announcements. I sense biasism with Xbox consoles generally with DF now. This seems like another of those articles but it's still good to know I guess about the future of different displays.

how is this relevant to a technical break down? They aren't even really comparing other platforms

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Well it's easy to talk about a console that is being hyped right now with details constantly emerging. It happens with any new console

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

This is ridiculous, you're calling out journalists as biased because they're not overly negative? You're ignoring their recent video about their concerns about the cross gen approach? That's a really serious accusation to make, man.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

A bias? Come on.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Apparently this is a video about future capabilities of the PS5 too. The Xbox One S/X are just the only consoles that let you try out those features on current gen consoles with VRR and 120Hz combined over HDMI with TVs that support it.

Last edited:

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be honest, I didn't even know current Xboxes support VRR.
I remember a bunch of threads about it, but they were small and disappeared pretty fast. I feel the "I didn't know the Xbox One had X" is going to be the consoles legacy. So many great features, systems, services, can't fix the PR disaster that was the launch.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dark1x

I'm not sure if it is doable now(playing an unpatched version of Terrorist Hunt), but before the X patch for Rainbow Six Siege released the game could hit ~120fps on the X.

To quote myself from back then and doing my own tests:
Need to try Classic Terrorist Hunt. That's where you start with 22 enemies on the map right from the start. You can limit the mode/map options for this in the settings.

My test shows an average of 75-90 fps with all 22 terrorists alive. Slowly decimating the enemies results in a rise of fps.

With 16 enemies remaining: 95-105fps.
11 remaining enemies: jumping around 110fps.
6 remaining enemies and less: It's mostly 120fps and more.

Map was House, the map with the smallest building in the game.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
So it's pretty standard to get frame rate readings on PC but can you do frame times too somehow? I know some games like Doom, Gears have all sorts of metrics you can display but is there a universal one? I suppose RTSS is going to be the answer but for the life of me I can't get that working right.

The reason I ask is seeing the frame time graph for Wolfenstein II in this video and it's up and down like a yoyo. The gameplay in the video looks smooth but it mustn't feel smooth to play?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The PS3 had a game that ran at 720p 120fps.

for Super Stardust's 3D mode. 😁 "Crazy" Ken almost came through with his 1080p 120fps!!!!! prediction.
But that's not actually 120fps displayed on to your screen. PS4 has a few games that natively runs at 120fps on the PSVR headset. And actually all PSVR 60fps games run at 120fps after the reprojection. (60fps native reprojected to 120fps to the headset).

I don't remember them making an article about that. Actually I don't remember them doing many VR articles, but that's another subject.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Alex needs to do a voice over whenever one of his friends and colleagues say "WulvenStain" XD
We have joked about this in the past
Dark1x

I'm not sure if it is doable now(playing an unpatched version of Terrorist Hunt), but before the X patch for Rainbow Six Siege released the game could hit ~120fps on the X.

To quote myself from back then and doing my own tests:
I think it was unlock with full tearing, but was it also not 60 hz unlocked even on a 120hz Display?
So sadly even 120hz output would not venefit it mich at all?
The internal framerate count er would say above 60 numbers but the rate would chop at 60.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I just gotta learn to laugh at this nonsense. What a joke.

We have joked about this in the past
That would be hilarious, I agree. Very tempting...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously tiring to see good journalism being targeted with such insecure nonsense.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Funny thing is that it's basically a bug in rainbow 6 , as if you leave the game with vsync on, it actually caps the framerate at 30fps.

I leave my console set at 1440p 120hz all the time for games like Siege, a game with a 4K flag automatically switches back to 60hz.

It would be interesting to see the cap removed from some older games, I know of games that have enforced a 30fps as they are nervous of the framerate graphs that DF produce and the impact that will have on marketing.

I own a C9 would running BFV in 120Hz give me a smoother experience online? I guess I'll try it. I do believe Gears 5 and The Division 2 supports VRR.

I don't *think* the Xbox actually engages VRR when set to 120hz.
It certainly didn't when I had the Samsung (but that may have been that TV) and it's bit harder to see on the LG, , but I should check again

The best example I've seen from a game is COD MW, which does tear and drop frames on Xbox, but with VRR enabled you get perceptually flawless performance

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
What will we do once consoles obtain HDMI 2.1.
4K w/VRR & HDR is sort of the endgame, everything after that is just diminishing returns to the extreme.
Sure we can go to 8K which in returns means that we all have to increase our TV's to 80" and beyond to have the benefit.
But in reality only VR w/foveated rendering can take us truly to the next level at that point in terms of visual experience.

'Higher quality pixels' aka better graphics (not resolution) & maxing out the common framerate towards 120hz is the next long-term game for flat-monitor gaming. You are more likely to see all of that happening faster in VR though since foveated rendering will deliver 10-20x the GPU resources.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is that it's basically a bug in rainbow 6 , as if you leave the game with vsync on, it actually caps the framerate at 30fps.

I leave my console set at 1440p 120hz all the time for games like Siege, a game with a 4K flag automatically switches back to 60hz.

It would be interesting to see the cap removed from some older games, I know of games that have enforced a 30fps as they are nervous of the framerate graphs that DF produce and the impact that will have on marketing.

I don't *think* the Xbox actually engages VRR when set to 120hz.
It certainly didn't when I had the Samsung (but that may have been that TV) and it's bit harder to see on the LG, , but I should check again

The best example I've seen from a game is COD MW, which does tear and drop frames on Xbox, but with VRR enabled you get perceptually flawless performance

How do you enable it on the C9?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
So should I be setting my One X to 120hz with my C9? The 8ms timing would be beneficial in most games that way?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda doubt either 4k or 120hz gaming are really as common as you're making it out to be.

I was pointing out the promo talking about 4K and 120Hz like gamers had never ever seen such a thing....someone pointed out they were likely talking about on console....but even then 4K has been done on console and Rainbow Six Siege could hit high refresh rates on some maps on Xbox One X with Vsync off. Im sure there are other games which have no hard Vsync that could likely hit those framerates on X.

PCs have been doing both forever.
And legit 120fps isnt all that special anymore.....finding 120Hz monitors is actually rare these days.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the new C9 update i can finally have Pcm 5.1 and VrR. what settings should I put on Xbox ? 120hz ? VRR ? The first one drop tbe résolution or 1440