• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A brand new game built on a retro engine? Yes, 3D Realms is at it again, this time utilising an enhanced version of the original Quake engine to present Wrath: Aeon of Ruin. It's one of the games that excited Alex and John the most at Gamescom 2019, and in this first look, you'll find out why.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't like FPS in general, but this might be the first game emulating the early 3D era that makes me think "this looks really good".

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I REALLY hope I will have the option to play this with unlimited saves. I'm loving everything I'm seeing apart from this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This looks awesome and I'm super excited for it. OG Quake is one of my favourites of all time.

But holy crap does this win the 'most generic game title' award this year? It's gonna be a tough fight between Wrath: Aeon of Ruin and Remnant: From the Ashes.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already in, these recent FPS throwback shooters have been absolute home runs for me, hit that itch bang on.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Still not a fan of the slow moving enemy type, but it's mostly looking good otherwise.

I REALLY hope I will have the option to play this with unlimited saves. I'm loving everything I'm seeing apart from this.

That's what I liked most about it, but I guess that's how it goes with opinions :)

I think quick saves are poisonous in many games, both making players think about saving - thus directing the players thought process to an abstraction layer outside the play field - and making them avoid consequences easily, bypassing intended mechanics and balancing in the process. I wish more games would move to a checkpoint system, but at least it's somewhat limited here and tied to collectables.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Still not a fan of the slow moving enemy type, but it's mostly looking good otherwise.

yeah, this actually looks like its designed for consoles and controllers. Low enemy count, slow moving enemies so you have time to react. I dont really like the design.

Ion Fury on the other hand, that game can not be played on a console at anything above the second difficulty level. Its just not possible. Thats a fully PC designed game, for mouse and keyboard. Its in every molecule of the game

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
This looks great! More hyped for Ion Maiden on the Switch, but this will be a safe bet!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
yeah, this actually looks like its designed for consoles and controllers. Low enemy count, slow moving enemies so you have time to react. I dont really like the design.
Wait, huh? This is not at all designed with consoles in mind - it was retrofitted after the fact onto consoles by them rewriting how it works rendering-wise.

Enemies are not at all all slow (the banshee enemy and the brutes are incredibly fast), and the enemy count is vastly greater than that found in quake 1 and 2 in any given scene. Like 2 or 3x more enemies on average than a normal quake scene.

Not every shooter needs Doom 2 or Serious Sam amounts of enemies in a flat arena for it to be a good PC 90s style FPS game. Tons of FPS from that era, especially 3d ones, did not utilise dozens of enemies at once on screen and instead focused on 3D spaces with verticality, enemy placement (quake) or with exploration combat (Turok, Hexen games, Blood etc.)

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Wait, huh? This is not at all designed with consoles in mind - it was retrofitted after the fact onto consoles by them rewriting how it works rendering-wise.

i was refering to the gamedesign, not the engine. Pretty much EVERY classic pc fps that ever came to consoles came with a list as long as my arm of concessions and alteration so constrollers could play them with a reasonable amount of comfort. For example, Quake 2 ,from memory. Enemies react like old ladies, they miss much more, they do less damage, every weapon has removed recoil completely, moving speed is slower and so on.

Mouse and keyboard only commands a certain type of gamedesign. Controllers require pretty much everything to be tweaked specifically. Maybe im mistaking, but the gameplay for this game that keeps getting presented looks to me as if its neutered so consoles can play it. Maybe its just this section and others are better. but thats my impression so far.

Ion Fury, as ive said. Thats an authentic PC game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Maybe im mistaking...
This is the correct thing you typed regarding your impression. This game is 100% designed with PC in mind as the platform to be played on and the input device they design around, including how they design enemy interaction.

If you sit still for any second in this game, you will be extremely dead. Weapons and enemies are, beyond fire spread, 100% accurate on a still target - but they use projectile and not hit scan, so you are moving and avoiding the damage in the old-style. You can even shoot enemy projectiles out of the air in this game if you wish.

This is indeed an "authentic PC game."

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
This is the correct thing you typed regarding your impression. This game is 100% designed with PC in mind as the platform to be played on and the input device they design around, including how they design enemy interaction.

If you sit still for any second in this game, you will be extremely dead. Weapons and enemies are, beyond fire spread, 100% accurate on a still target - but they use projectile and not hit scan, so you are moving and avoiding the damage in the old-style. You can even shoot enemy projectiles out of the air in this game if you wish.

This is indeed an "authentic PC game."

ok then, i shall wait for further areas and gameplay in the future

DocDeltree

Jan 4, 2018
Game looks great, and I'm probably there day one, but it's the first time I'm hearing about those save items, which got me a bit concerned. Stuff like this didn't work out particularly well for FPS games (see Daikatana), and honestly it's actually a bit baffling that you can't quicksave at will in a Quake-like game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Game looks great, and I'm probably there day one, but it's the first time I'm hearing about those save items, which got me a bit concerned. Stuff like this didn't work out particularly well for FPS games (see Daikatana), and honestly it's actually a bit baffling that you can't quicksave at will in a Quake-like game.
I honestly love that mechanic because I think save scumming takes away much challenge in FPS design. I had to think much more about fights and positioning and resource management when I realised I just cannot save at will. Even then, at the end of this demo I had about 4 or 5 saves left over. They give you quite a lot of saves if you do the exploration and look for secrets.

I really hope they keep the mechanic actually.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And I would 100% buy day zero. FPS games from the golden era
Makes me wonder. Can you still buy a UE1 license?

Alternatively, Epic should make UE1 open source. There's really no downside to doing that. It's not like they're going to lose millions by making it available freely and it would be exciting to see what kind of stuff the community would do with access to the source code.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Looks really cool but I hope you can turn off the tilt when strafing.
And yeah put me in the camp of good riddance for moving away from quick save/load.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Was super excited when they said the developer has it running 60fps on switch. I really hope it can get released there one day.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
One of my most anticipated fps games. Can't watch right now. Hopefully, the gameplay looks and feels good.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
First time I've seen or heard of this game and its now one of my most anticipated. I'm a crusty old 90's PC gamer too tho.