• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zephyr

Nov 9, 2017
Spain
Why? The point is to see how close it gets to the 'full fat experience'. It's not intended to slam the Switch version - nobody expects it to match a more powerful machine.
This. I always see this videos as "look how good the Switch version looks for a fucking mobile chipset."

Great video as always.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's weird that they note that there are three dynamic resolution options on the One X. I only have a simple "On/Off", no "Aggressive" option to be found.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The full DF article is also up:

PS4 and Xbox offer three rendering options: DRS can be enabled or disabled, while an extra 'aggressive' option allows resolution to drop even lower in order to better sustain 60fps.
Interesting, both Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro mostly seem to deliver 1440p resolution, though in the case of the Pro, 2176x1440 is the more typical number during the action ... we've not had the chance to sample Xbox One S, but the vanilla PS4 also employs DRS with a 1920x1080 high-end, dropping to 1440x1080 under load.
And yes, expect a somewhat blurry experience on Switch. The engine's signature use of temporal anti-aliasing integrated into an extensive post-process pipeline delivers a 'filmic' look on all systems but extra resolution still delivers a level of clarity that is essentially absent on the Nintendo hybrid. Dynamic resolution is once again in play with upper bounds set at 720p docked and around 540p in handheld mode

The article doesn't go much into frame rate comparisons.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
In anticipation of this title I fired up wolf ii on ye olde switch. It's definitely playable, but (and I've said this on here before) I think these versions just present a different experience to playing on the consoles and PC. Still an enjoyable one though, and people will have their preferences and reasons for playing these - which doesn't mean that they're invalid just because you have different preferences.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Disappointing XbX version, that's one game off the "interesting titles" list unless they patch it, like they did with The New Colossus

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Switch version played fine at E3...
I was too busy having fun to notice maybe ...
Either way performance and visuals didn't hamper my enjoyment of the product. Clearly not everyone wants this version but lets not pretend that there aren't people out there who don't mind it, and are even pleased it exists.

Are you sure this wasn't them? I'm pretty sure it was.
It is

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, if you look at the author, you can see why! All four of us did parts of this. I haven't played it on PS4, for instance, so I couldn't compare while Tom hasn't played on anything BUT PS4.

hah true, I think this is the first time I've seen a DF article with 4 co-authors.

Dec 23, 2017
I mean it's obvious we need a new switch that's more beefier.... when that will happen who knows🤷🏾‍♂️ With that being said I will take this and enjoy it.

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe not sub 720p (that's related to the realities of the Switch), but if you play on consoles you're not getting a premium experience and your resolutions and framerates are lower and far less consistent. Your experience could be better if you actually cared about these things you thread whine about. Some of this forum's favourite exclusives regularly drop to the 20s in framerates and have awful frame pacing. Consoles = compromises. What you deem as a "good enough" compromise is different than what others deem as acceptable.
Who the hell is thread whining? You can dm me if you would like to continue the conversation don't want to liter the thread with a back and 4th on a discussion on a shitty port.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I loved Doom on Switch even before the patches, but Wolf 2 made me weary and I probably won't be buying in this time.

Surprised they returned to the Doom handheld formula with nixing AO. I think Wolf 2 had full lighting parity in docked and handheld. Maybe that's why it turned into a complete mess in the late game.

Sidenote: I find the damage indicator so distracting.

Is Richard able to confirm the performance profile for handheld mode with his hacked unit?

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my view as well.
I just can't see the appeal of these deeply compromised ports.

Is it impressive that they got it running. Yes. But that doesn't mean I'd ever want to play it.
Its like getting Doom running on a calculator.

I have a fairly beefy gaming PC and a Switch. I played DOOM on Switch, why? because I played it on the train :P

Portability is almost always the reason multi platform owners buy current gen ports on Switch. It's amazing having something like DOOM on a handheld and once you get into the experience the low resolutions and framerate issues melt away for most people.

Great video as usual.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The Switch performance is beyond terrible.

I don't know how can anyone be pleased with that.

I've seen some of the later firefights in the game and imagined the switch dropping frames really bad, an average of 25fps is woof too. This looks like a fast paced game indeed and dropped frames in intense situations will increase.

I watched the vid on my 50 inch 4k TV and the switch footage gave me a slight headache. The flipping between xb1x crisp footage and switch blurry footage docked is not a flattering comparison at all. Made my eyes hurt.

Can see how this would be ok in portable mode though. But not docked.

Also, Jesus at the clip @9.19 in the vid. That's not good at all. Looks like a gen difference between the two.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The framerate during those brothers sections, Jesus my xbox one x was sinking to sub 10 fps. I had to switch dynamic resolution to aggressive and even then that barely helped. Who thought that was a good idea on these consoles?