• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Before you ask - yes, we are working on Doom 1/2/3 analysis - but while that's in progress, here's our final look at Wolfenstein Youngblood, covering off the least and most powerful current-gen consoles: Switch and Xbox One X. Just how well can the id Tech 6 engine scale? Take a look.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Full DF Article is also up:

Interesting, both Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro mostly seem to deliver 1440p resolution, though in the case of the Pro, 2176x1440 is the more typical number during the action ... we've not had the chance to sample Xbox One S, but the vanilla PS4 also employs DRS with a 1920x1080 high-end, dropping to 1440x1080 under load.
A locked 60 frames per second is off the cards on all consoles, but it gets close enough in most cases to deliver a good experience, with motion blur helping a touch in hiding the dropped frames. The best advice would be to keep DRS active and if the frame-rate drops are noticeable to you, engage the aggressive setting - despite the resolution drop, it's our preferred way to play.
And yes, expect a somewhat blurry experience on Switch. The engine's signature use of temporal anti-aliasing integrated into an extensive post-process pipeline delivers a 'filmic' look on all systems but extra resolution still delivers a level of clarity that is essentially absent on the Nintendo hybrid. Dynamic resolution is once again in play with upper bounds set at 720p docked and around 540p in handheld mode

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn when the vid started i right away went to the resolution option because i thought YT messed up my setting.

Summary of specs
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

Switch:
- Switch: Docked: Dynamic resolution is less aggressive compared to Wolf 2. Comes to 720p very often with lows of 680p and lower observed.
- Switch: Portable: Mostly sticks at 540p range, DF didn't observe anything as low as 360p in their testing.
- Most effects are still there, volumetric lighting is low quality and jittery.
- AO has been eliminated/missing.
- Shadow quality and coverage is reduced.
- Textures are much lower resolution and blurrier.
- SSR missing as well.
- Lacks soft lighting of the other console versions.
- "Despite all of the cuts, it still looks like wolfenstein"
- DF comment it looks better in handheld because of the smaller screen.
- "It looks lower resolution than what the actual pixel count shows" - John
- Capped at 30 FPS but doesn't hold in most combat sequences.
- Average 25~ FPS in most firefights. Frame Pace spikes also occur in heavy scenarios
- Playable but lacks perfect fluidity.
- "Switch is a little bit sharper (compared to Wolf 2) but it does run pretty poorly, almost always under 30 FPS" Overall DF comment it's kinda improved since Wolf 2.

Xbox:
- Xbox X: Still retains the 3 dynamic resolution options (on/off/aggressive)
- Just with Dynamic res on (and not aggressive), frequent drops to 1440p seen.
- Even With aggressive dynamic resolution, frame rate drops still observed. With just Dynamic on, frame rate dips in 50~60 range.
- Native 4K mode averages around 40 FPS in DF's testing with more aggressive drops in later areas in the game.
- Overall DF commented, it does not seem as consistent as Wolfenstein 2
- "At it's worse, light years beyond Switch but feels inconsistent overall". - DF thinks it's not as refined as Wolf 2.
- DF did not get time to look at the XBOne/S version in time for the video. Not sure if it will be touched upon later.

- Author's comment: Based on this analysis and the previous PS4 specific video, I think the PS4 Pro version w/ aggressive scaling might be the best performing version since their video showed minimal/no frame drops when they were playing with it on and the lowes resolution drops observed were 1726x1440p.

Additionally, seems like the X version scales both vertically and horizontally when scaling resolution (with the 1440p comment) while the PS4 and Pro versions only scale in one axis. If this is incorrect, please correct me.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch performance is beyond terrible.

I don't know how can anyone be pleased with that.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ive been playing on xbox one x with a locked 4k resolution and I've been astounded at how sharp it looks. The dips haven't been extremely noticeable thus far. Not surprised given how good wolfenstein tnc looked

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

This is my view as well.
I just can't see the appeal of these deeply compromised ports.

Is it impressive that they got it running. Yes. But that doesn't mean I'd ever want to play it.
Its like getting Doom running on a calculator.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The Switch version definitely gets worse than it's portrayed here. Some of the bosses have the framerate go into the teens (or even single-digits) and some areas are nowhere near 720p.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like X's performance is way behind PS4 Pro's performance? Didn't DF just do a video about how it's a locked 60fps on PS4?

With the aggressive dynamic resolution option, yes.

Also, I commented in my last post, but it seems like X scales on both axis for dynamic resolution while the PS4 versions only scale horizontally. I might be wrong on this but that's what i understood from the videos.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I played Wolfy 2 on Switch and I returned it, first game I ever returned. It's was so bad, I have pretty low standard when it comes to performance given that I also play on consoles but im pretty sure it was running at 20 fps.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Considering how "aggressive" can stick very closely to 60 on a base PS4 they should have really made the compromises necessary to get a locked 60 on X.
Seeing it drop like that even in that mode is disappointing

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I wonder how close Pro and X look in terms of resolution, if the difference is barely noticeable, then they really should have done the same for X as they did for Pro.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I'll never understand the point on comparing the switch version with the xbox one x version.

I played Wolfy 2 on Switch and I returned it, first game I ever returned. It's was so bad, I have pretty low standard when it comes to performance given that I also play on consoles but im pretty sure it was running at 20 fps.

not a smart move since after the patches it was nearly perfect.

was this tested with the d1 patch?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not a smart move since after the patch it was nearly perfect.

was this tested with the d1 patch?
Yep I think it was Day 1 patch. 1.01 or so? good to hear that it's better at least but with the small sticks and blurry image I won't buy any AAA port for Switch except NBA2k, because bed time franchise mode is the best

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Disappointing X version. I guess I'll postpone playing it till Scarlett, where it should probably be able to hit locked 60 in the native 4K mode.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest that cutscene wasn't right for comparing textures quality since textures in switch version weren't completely loaded.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
looks like i made the "wrong" choice with the x1x version. still an amazing game, i hope they continue to optimize the x1 version.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah, that seems like the first switch port I would not want to play.
I just recently played through doom on the switch after playing it on the ps4 pro and was pleasantly surprised, but this seems way more compromised.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
RE: Switch version, in the video they say the switch version looks lower resolution than it actually is, maybe the post effects/TAA are making it appear worse than it actually is.

Ben Pack from Giantbomb put up this picture on his twitter, and needless to say it is not flattering:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently played through doom on the switch after playing it on the ps4 pro and was pleasantly surprised, but this seems way more compromised.

Doom and Wolf 2 run and look about the same on Switch (after the Wolf 2 patch) and they say this game looks better overall than Wolf 2 on Switch, so it should look and run better than Doom.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I think Wolf looks pretty decent on Switch (for being on Switch). Though if they say that it looks better in portable they are out of their heads, it looks leagues better on docked mode. The draw distance decreases, fog increases, and resolution drops in portable. I thought it looked overall decent in docked mode.

Find both playable personally, me and the wife are having a blast going through it, but it definitely is a game that has a pretty drastic difference between the two modes.

If you thought DOOM switch was fine hard to imagine you'd have any issues with Wolf 2 or this one as I find the performance generally similar across the three Bethesda games.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone expect more from Switch? It's a miracle this even runs. The fact that an old mobile chipset that draws about 10 watts can even render this blows my mind.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember the last game I played in sub 720p with less than 60fps . Ill let you continue your battle

Maybe not sub 720p (that's related to the realities of the Switch), but if you play on consoles you're not getting a premium experience and your resolutions and framerates are lower and far less consistent. Your experience could be better if you actually cared about these things you thread whine about. Some of this forum's favourite exclusives regularly drop to the 20s in framerates and have awful frame pacing. Consoles = compromises. What you deem as a "good enough" compromise is different than what others deem as acceptable.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on the Switch handheld and I was surprised by how hard the first boss was. He turns semi-invisible for much of the fight, and the image quality is so low on the Switch that he gets a buff to basically full invisibility.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If you thought DOOM switch was fine hard to imagine you'd have any issues with Wolf 2 or this one as I find the performance generally similar across the three Bethesda games.

I feel like the footage in this video makes it seem worse than it is somehow. They even say that at one point. I don't remember either Doom or Wolf2 being 720p for the majority of the time, this sounds like a clear improvement over those.

I'm playing on the Switch handheld and I was surprised by how hard the first boss was. He turns semi-invisible for much of the fight, and the image quality is so low on the Switch that he gets a buff to basically full invisibility.

Bonus hard mode!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Quick semi-related question: did the aggressive res scaling get added to vanilla Wolf2 on PS4 Pro and does it help maintain rock solid 60fps there? I know it smoothed things over on X quite a bit but I could still feel some dips. Wondering if Pro got it and was the most stable console version again.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To be honest that cutscene wasn't right for comparing textures quality since textures in switch version weren't completely loaded.
It's pretty on-point, though. The textures on Switch are quite blurry.

I'll never understand the point on comparing the switch version with the xbox one x version.
Why? The point is to see how close it gets to the 'full fat experience'. It's not intended to slam the Switch version - nobody expects it to match a more powerful machine.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

if you dont have a pc, ps4 or xbox, and you only have a switch and didnt watch this video of comparison, you can't really know how the game will look on max setting so you are just used to the inferior port.

isn't just like Plato's cave? Once you see something you can't come back to the way it used to be, therefor, staying ignorant (only have the switch port) won't bother you since you don't know how the game run on max settings

Also i had terrible grades in english and psychology so im probably all wrong

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
So the XBX performance is so bad they could only compare that version to the... Switch version ?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So the XBX performance is so bad they could only compare that version to the... Switch version ?

Again, they've already done a dedicated PS4 video. Wouldn't make much sense to rehash it again.
Quick semi-related question: did the aggressive res scaling get added to vanilla Wolf2 on PS4 Pro and does it help maintain rock solid 60fps there? I know it smoothed things over on X quite a bit but I could still feel some dips. Wondering if Pro got it and was the most stable console version again.

This is a good question, I rented the Pro version when it initially came out and returned it after beating the campaign. Didn't keep it long enough to see any subsequent patches.

Can anyone confirm this ?

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Ok I may be completely, absolutely wrong, but in a case as extreme as this, wouldn't it be more apropriate to simply render the game completely at 360p?
It scales correctly to 720, keeping the image sharp, and I'd guess that would be more than enough to bring performance up to par. I'd rather have a solid lower res than the bad frame pace and fuzzy image.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Also - nobody should read into why certain videos have certain platforms. It's always a combination of who's available to work on the video + when we get the code.

We got Xbox late and I had to buy it on Switch myself. That's why those two came last.

is this based on patch 1.01?
Yes

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Christ going from PC/XB1X to the Switch version really highlights how god awful the framerate is for those versions.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Pro got it and it feels a lot more stable. Resolution is noticeably lower though. Same thing for Youngblood