• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Oh My God, around 4:10 in the video, someone in the comments of that video noticed this:

The grass reflected with SSR on the blood puddle is moving in the reflection just like the real grass but when RT is enabled, the grass doesn't move. Iirc DF highlighted that issue in RTX enabled games. I don't know if this is a problem related to RT in general or the now old and unoptimised RTX solution.

Edit: I think it was DF COD MW RT shadows for the grass don't move when RT shadows are enabled while rasterized shadows of the grass move.

Edit 2: I think such issues including the other issues mentioned in the video are due to the fact RTX is now used as post process effect that was injected on top of the game layer rather than having the whole game built from scratch based on it, thus such errors appear and can't be corrected in one click.

That happens because Grass is animated in many games by a Trick colour vertex colour Animation. That cannot be represented in RT since it is not actually moving the geometry.

Ray tracing is World space, not a screen space post process...

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
That happens because Grass is animated in many games by a Trick colour vertex colour Animation. That cannot be represented in RT since it is not actually moving the geometry.

Ray tracing is World space, not a screen space post process...
Were you just offered a job by Nvidia?

dach.png

Anyway, great video.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
The highest cost of DLSS is training which NV runs on their own GPU farms and even if they'll open them to 3rd parties it'll will still have a significant cost which likely nobody would be willing to pay to create something which at the moment is only capable of running on NV PC h/w.

DLSS is there because tensor cores are there in Turing. Until there are no other h/w with similar capabilities on the market there is no interest in producing something which would only run on NV h/w anywhere but inside NV. Once (and if) this will change I'm sure that 3rd party options will appear without any help from NV. It also remains to be seen if AI upscaling is even the best approach to this problem.
Do you really think that training cost is that high? I thought that quad 2080ti setup running for few days should be enough to train it.

Btw i know that it needs tensor cores, but i was not talking about 3rd party, but Nvidia tool, so devs can implement it themselves. In the end it benefits nvidia, as more people will be eager to buy their hardware if the support is there and its good. Its basically free 40% performance boost for 4k display owners, thats huge.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Wow DLSS has come a long way. Control was the first game I decided to use it on for a full playthrough, as I wanted RTX on because of how much better the game looked but needed more frames because it's a fast action game. DLSS was good there but I still added on a sharpening filter using Nvidia's game filter that helped it not be so blurry. Is that perhaps what they are doing natively now for DLSS to be this good in Youngblood? Some of the zoomed in comparisons really show a level of sharpness especially on metal grating on the floor that the others just don't have.

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
Has anyone noticed a problem in the catacombs hub? There are a couple of signs reflected in puddles of water on the floor. The reflection as rendered does not represent the sign correctly as it's missing decals. The sign is blank in the reflection. I think you can see it in Alex's video when he talks about problems with the reflection of a lantern.
I'm curious about how this happens. Is the reflection rendering a different asset or is the decal on the sign rendered in a pass that comes after the ray tracing? Is some thing else going on entirely? Thanks for the video, Alex.

49394344281_d3bcd8943f_o.png

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Oh My God, around 4:10 in the video, someone in the comments of that video noticed this:

The grass reflected with SSR on the blood puddle is moving in the reflection just like the real grass but when RT is enabled, the grass doesn't move. Iirc DF highlighted that issue in RTX enabled games. I don't know if this is a problem related to RT in general or the now old and unoptimised RTX solution.

Edit: I think it was DF COD MW RT shadows for the grass don't move when RT shadows are enabled while rasterized shadows of the grass move.

Edit 2: I think such issues including the other issues mentioned in the video are due to the fact RTX is now used as post process effect that was injected on top of the game layer rather than having the whole game built from scratch based on it, thus such errors appear and can't be corrected in one click.

This is simply because the grass animations in a lot of modern games is a shader trick rather than the sprite/polygon physically moving. So the movement is an illusion and the ray traced reflection is only reflecting the real thing instead of the trick. It's not really a limitation of RT but rather a limitation of the grass animation itself.

They use shaders instead of actually moving the sprite/polygons as it's cheaper and allows for a high degree of interactivity, until now the limitations of that trick were not really observable.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone noticed a problem in the catacombs hub? There are a couple of signs reflected in puddles of water on the floor. The reflection as rendered does not represent the sign correctly as it's missing decals. The sign is blank in the reflection. I think you can see it in Alex's video when he talks about problems with the reflection of a lantern.
I'm curious about how this happens. Is the reflection rendering a different asset or is the decal on the sign rendered in a pass that comes after the ray tracing? Is some thing else going on entirely? Thanks for the video, Alex.

Could be wrong about this or how it works but it may be because they simply don't take minor decals into account when building BVH. It's either that, or the decals are added after ray tracing is done.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017

My guess would be deferred decals.
They simply do not exist in representation they trace. (as they are separate mesh used to project image to surface and write their contribution to g-buffer.)

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
WOW, didn't know that! thanks for the explanation!
Water surfaces use Screen Space reflections mainly for many environment assets, but combine them with RT reflections for close objects and dynamic objects, water is the only RT limitation in the game, I don't why, something to do with the engine I am sure.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Why using TAA in 4K native ? TAA is blurry no ? Why not just use 4K native without AA or trying other one then compare with DLSS

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Recently jumped back in testing the RT update. I am getting some visual anomalies running DLSS with "mesh" like textures in certain spots and what seems to be, as best as I can describe it, rending delays when panning. I am running the game now with NAS instead of DLSS, when I optimize it via the GeForce Experience; card ran noticeably harder using NAS.

Having said that, been really blown away by the RT performance on my mid-low tier rig running a i5-7400/RTX2060/1080p.