• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

A superb game on last-gen systems but somewhat rough around the edges with very questionable performance, Saints Row The Third Remastered addresses all of these issues, radically upgrades all visual aspects of the presentation and to put it simply, it's one of the best remasters we've seen.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team and work like this more directly, and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Article:

www.eurogamer.net

We're not kidding - the Saints Row The Third remaster is exceptional

You've got to give credit where it's due - against all expectations, the new remaster of Saints Row The Third isn't jus…

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Holy Shit
99321525_1607523766091894_7003650689658257408_o.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw some footage of it earlier and I was kinda blown away by the visual updates. Pierce and Gat almost look like entirely different models.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
You can tell the developers love this game, and with good reason. Glad they put all this effort into it.

Love this game.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I'm not sure I like the more realistic looking character models, but overall it's a definitely a commendable remaster.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're kind of selling themselves short by subtitling this as a "remaster". It straight up looks like it's a compilation of new assets running on a highly scaled up engine.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit, that is incredible

went from a non-buy to a must, IMO

guess I'm replaying SR3

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when the initial announcement thread had people saying that all they did was change the tone. Fun times. Yea imma pick this up.

Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL:DW

Visuals:

- Genuinely shocking how much work the developers put in.
- 1440p on Pro/XBX - 1080p on PS4/XBO
- Uses temporal up-sampling which helps eliminating aliasing
- Various options like unlock frame rate etc present. HDR also included.

- Entire UI completely redrawn to native 4K.
- All the main characters completely redrawn, all secondary models touched up as well.
- Changes made to "basically all the assets"
- Full PBR included and uses LSTV which helps avoid a tiled look to the textures.
- New GI system added which takes light bounce etc into account.
- New lighting often gives a "hyper realistic" look despite cartoony art-style.
- "Crazy" ambient occlusion added, DoF improved, reflections improved, water interaction improved chromatic aberration improved etc

Performance:

- All consoles have slightly worse performance at night time compared to day.
- By default all consoles have 30 FPS cap which all of them hit with very minor hitching, except base XBO which runs into frequent drops especially at night.
- Unlocking frame rate acts like a benchmark for the current consoles.
- XBX hits nearly locked 60 FPS with drops in combat, explosions etc. DF imagines freesync should smooth things out.
- Pro does *not* have a hidden 1080p mode to help improve performance further.
- PS4 Pro normally hovers between the mid 40's and 50's, not nearly as stable as XBX.
- Base PS4 is trading places with Pro with almost exactly the same performance metrics with Pro having a small edge.
- Base XBO mostly hangs between 33 and 39.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
DF sold me on the game. I love the Saints Row franchise but rarely are remastered games given so much love. Glad this was one.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
This makes me VERY hyped for V, it shows that they care about the franchise, I understand the pitfalls people have with the path they've been taking, but damn, it's crazy to make a "semi-remake" like that.

Logsi

Oct 27, 2017
This went from a total disinterest to a buy VERY quickly coupled with the fact the X will get near constant 60 fps. Excellent!

Never played the entirety of 3 so this will be great!

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
The game is legit gorgeous. I was waiting for a big discount but I might give it a go soon!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great! Bought immediately after watching this video. They finally captured the look and feel of the pre-release CGI trailers.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like people did not and will not expect this level of quality from something that's called "Remastered."
Many games with labels like that are sort of just mildly upgraded ports. This is very much more than that. I wonder if the effort and resources they've put into this will like, get through to people.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn there was an earlier thread about a Saints Row port/remaster where people were pointing out that Gat looked bad and other things. Maybe that was a different game/port?

Is that some big head mode or something on the top pic?

Character's proportions look so weird compared to the other characters.

It's an early plot point. They're all wearing Gat mascot heads.