• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

Visuals:

- All consoles have Temporal up-scaling and dynamic resolution scaling. .
- Base XBO has the worst image quality and most image breakup.
- Best image quality: XBX with Pro a close second.

- Base XBO: 900p to 684p
- XBX: 2016p to 1440p.
- Base PS4: 1080p to 864p
- Pro: 1620p to 1296p

- SSR quality and texture filtering lower on base consoles.
- Otherwise the physics, NPC count etc all appear same between all consoles.

Performance:

- Base XBO has near consistent drops to mid to low 20's and tearing during driving and combat.
- Base PS4 is a 'big improvement' but w/ adaptive screen tear and mild 1 to 2 FPS drops.
- XBX is mostly consistent with barely some drops to mid 20's when causing commotion.
- PS4 Pro has the fewest drops and the least tearing and best playing version.
I have no idea how microsoft plans to support the base xbox one with their games for the next 2 years. Goin all the way down to 684p is crazy.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Good thing I made a decision to wait for next gen consoles to play these new games.

Gives me time to work on my backlog for now which I've been going through quite a bit.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Thing is.... the game doesn't look good on PS4 Pro.

I'm playing for the past 4 hours and... image quality is all over the place. The reconstruction technique used here is too aggressive and add dithering to all surfaces plus the regular dithering on the transparency and screen space reflections.

Not to mention the shadows.... also a dithering fest. The beard faces also dither as hell.

They should have called Watch Dogs Dithering instead of Legion.

Seriously.... despite the massive downgrade... I ended up liking the end result of Watch Dogs 1 and found Watch Dogs 2 to be a gorgeous showcase for the PS4 Pro in launch.

I can't recommend to anyone the graphical achievement in this installment.

I'm playing because I visited London back in December and there are a lot of places that I went to a terrible memory trip. Was traveling the new years eve with my ex-girlfriend. LOL

Shooting feels much better than any other tittle.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I played about two hours on XBX last night and decided to wait for XSX. It ran good enough but I would rather wait for the best experience. I only picked it up day one because I got $20 back from gamestop for paying it off and preordering it.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
680p, massive oooof. Just wow..
Although I'm getting Series X, I'm still going to wait on this one.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i forgot that screen tearing even existed until i played this on Xbox One X. I hadn't seen it since the PS3 days.
So far this means all watch dogs games are better on Playstation than Xbox. I wanted to get Legion for playstation. But im not sure if i'll be able to snag a PS5 or not. But i know i will get the Series X.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Holy hell the Xbox One version looks awful. Haven't seen a game running sub 720p in a while. PS4 runs it a bit better but not by much.

Definitely waiting for next gen to play this and Valhalla.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
So having the pro be the base target spec seems interesting. Do we know how well the pro/x sold in comparison to the base consoles?

Facosao

Jan 13, 2020
Of course, but look at games at the moment - CDPR are citing last-gen consoles as being the major hurdle in getting Cyperpunk out, and I wager that's moreso base XB1/S and PS4. Imagine they didn't have to support those anymore?

I think that even if they could drop the base PS4/XB1 versions they would end up not doing so, because a good chunk of their sales (if not the majority) will come from these systems.

Mar 11, 2019
I wonder if the series S will have similar performance/fate compared to PS5 and series X when the latter two consoles are being pushed at 1440p in certain games in the future.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Jesus that Xbox One is just painful. You might as well just not play the game.

Current gen going to hold games back for a good 1-2 years now goddamnit. I know it's a huge install base, but still.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of ya'll are overreacting at the performance of an open world game at it's scale/scope, density, and graphical detail and effects releasing on 2013 base consoles weeks away from next gen relative to the same type of game releasing on last gen right around current gen was close to releasing. Did ya'll forget how GTA V performed on 360/PS3?

Last edited:

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Some of ya'll are overreacting at the performance of an open world game at it's scale/scope, density, and graphical detail and effects releasing on 2013 base consoles weeks away from next gen relative to the same type of game releasing on last gen right around current gen was close to releasing. Did ya'll forget how GTA V performed on 360/PS3?

At least GTAV looked good though. Watch dogs looks bad and runs just as bad on xbox one.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the PC version of this relatively bad too though?
Yeah, I am reading that people with a 3090 cant run this at native 4k/60fps. Game seems like a resource hog where even a $1500 GPU can't handle it at full 4k/60fps and that is WITHOUT Ray Tracing. Turn RT on and it drops like a rock in performance. So that report of it running at 1440p/30fps w/RT on Series X is kind of a shock to me being that the games engine is a resource hog.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

it's not even just the framerate, did you actually look at the X1 footage..? It looks borderline unplayable while driving, incredibly bad IQ. In fact, I'd wager that WD2 simply looks better on X1.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch the video? Do you find the xbox one footage pleasing to look at? The hardware is clearly holding the game back.
It still looks good for an open world game at it's scale/scope, density with it's graphical detail and effects running on the lowest powered 7 year old current gen console that's about to be usurped by next gen.

In no context on it's own does Watch Dogs Legion "looks bad" on Xbox One. It only "looks bad" in the context of comparisons to other consoles.

Anybody playing games on the base Xbox One right now understand that and have accepted this.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not even just the framerate, did you actually look at the X1 footage..? It looks borderline unplayable while driving, incredibly bad IQ. In fact, I'd wager that WD2 simply looks better on X1.
Yes, I watched it and think some of ya'll are being way too hyperbolic when making general statements that only apply to hardcore, which to be fair I should expect on an enthusiast board.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they at least put a max resolution of 1080p on x1 so that it scales to that on XSS until the patch arrives.

I would hope that they would, even if the One S never even gets close. I can't imagine the next-gen patch is gonna be seen until mid-2021 at best.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
The OG PS4 and Xbox One are having a rough time with recent titles, I've read this game runs like ass even on a souped up PC.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The base Xbox One version is imo unacceptable like this. Awful image quality, constant frame drops, constant screen tearing and the bugs/glitches mentioned in the video. As long as they expect base Xbox One users to pay the same amount for their game version as from users on other platforms, they have to make that base Xbox One version look and perform at least adequately, which this is imo not.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The base Xbox One version is imo unacceptable like this. Awful image quality, constant frame drops, constant screen tearing and the bugs/glitches mentioned in the video. As long as they expect base Xbox One users to pay the same amount for their game version as from users on other platforms, they have to make that base Xbox One version look and perform at least adequately, which this is imo not.
Welcome to PS3/360 end of life. If shit keeps getting ported to these base systems, sacrifices will have to be made. If you are still rocking a base Xbox One, I can't imagine image quality is on your list of priorities.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, this game isn't really the one to sound the base console death knell, considering even PCs are having issues. And PS4 base has been fine up through Tsushima. But now we are likely at the beginning of sacrifices to fit on a platform.

Valhalla, cyberpunk, miles, yakuza, etc. will chip in to the prognosis. Nba2k has already shown that a different experience awaits on the new consoles, which isn't quite a performance death but an experiential retirement.

Oct 27, 2017
Also this. PS3 GTAV was an absolute performance shitshow and I managed to enjoy it just fine.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I picked up on One X yesterday and think it looks pretty nice so far. Wasn't going to play much though, saving it for the arrival of One X.

It seems more a game designed for next gen, the loading sequences being the giveaway. I suspect they will be hardly noticed with new hardware, but get in the way on current gen.

Jul 25, 2020
Feels like having to optimize the game for 9 different machines is hurting the development of these crossgen games. Resources must be spread thin .This game also has a ton of bugs on top. Dirt 5 is another game that looks rough.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to PS3/360 end of life. If shit keeps getting ported to these base systems, sacrifices will have to be made. If you are still rocking a base Xbox One, I can't imagine image quality is on your list of priorities.

That is on Ubisoft though and not the fault of base Xbox One owners. If Ubisoft decides to bring the game to that console they have to make it run at least adequately, especially for the high price they demand on release.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
The thing is, this game isn't really the one to sound the base console death knell, considering even PCs are having issues. And PS4 base has been fine up through Tsushima. But now we are likely at the beginning of sacrifices to fit on a platform.

Valhalla, cyberpunk, miles, yakuza, etc. will chip in to the prognosis. Nba2k has already shown that a different experience awaits on the new consoles, which isn't quite a performance death but an experiential retirement.
It all depends around what specs the games are designed for. Ghosts what designed around the PS4 and I can't imagine Miles being anything but great on the PS4 with its design rooted in a PS4 exclusive. Yakuza is definitely designed around this gen too. Valhalla might be interesting and obviously Cyberpunk is having problems. I think Watch Dogs whether people believe it is our first next-gen leaning game.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

People love the console war nitpick circus. Shouts of "literally unplayable 30fps" and the like. Arguing over figures they wouldn't have noticed for themselves unless armed with DF graphs.

Thank fuck we didn't have the internet during the ZX Spectrum v C64 playground wars of my youth.

I suspect like the Twitter culture wars these fights over resolution and framerate mean nothing to the average videogame consumer, who get on with enjoying their games. Meanwhile we "hardcore" all sit here together in our own shit, excreting more every minute.