• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
The only issue are those framerates hitches. If it wasnt for that I would be down to replay this on the go

But yeah comparing this to something like Doom or Wolfenstein shows just how big of an accomplishment it was to pull this off

Yeah the general performance and framerate drops look really bad, but I must admit the overall look is not terrible. Not a buy from me, though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Because I can, dammit!

Seriously though, some posters are taking other posters not finding this attractive pretty close to heart. I see few actually arguing that it shouldn't exist though, so the rabid defensiveness is strange (as usual).
You should read the release date announcement thread, several people say people are mad for wanting this and for being willing to pay full price for it.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
This looks too good to be true.

I'm very impressed after watching the overview video; especially how good Toussaint looks on it.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
That looks really impressive. People who have yet to play it look like they are going to get a good experience if they want to play it on the Switch. Kudos to Saber Interactive. Might double dip as I never finished it on the PS4.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
It's dynamic 720p docked and dynamic 540p undocked. That means that in docked, the maximum resolution is 720p but it goes lower in especially taxing scenes. In handheld, it is max 540p but goes lower in taxing scenes. Not really conflicting, it's just standard terminology for dynamic resolution.
The video by CDPR doesn't mention a variable resolution. At least not when they talk about it in the beginning. But if that is the case then fair enough.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes ambitious is not the same as good(looking) but pretty impressive port

Then why buy it on Switch at all
Because it's the only platform some people have to play it.

But i agree that the main draw here is portability and the sacrifices are justified.

It won't. Those people either want CD Project to defy the laws of physics or not make this game at all (there are people who have literally said the latter).

It's stupid. Graphical downgrades are the inherent tradeoff of getting this demanding game to run on mobile, battery-powered hardware. It's even more impressive when you consider the size of the Switch lite and the model with the new chip that has better battery life.
A lot of people are incapable of understanding that not only do different people have different values when it comes to entertainment but that their values are not necessarily any more correct than those of others.

Oct 25, 2017
Because I can, dammit!

Seriously though, some posters are taking other posters not finding this attractive pretty close to heart. I see few actually arguing that it shouldn't exist though, so the rabid defensiveness is strange (as usual).
Part of it is probably the fact that the differences are marginal, while running on hardware 1/5th as capable.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 was technically dynamic 1080p on Xbox One, but it barely ever hit that. The game will probably spend the majority of time below 720p docked.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes ambitious is not the same as good(looking) but pretty impressive port

Then why buy it on Switch at all

This is where I land, watching the video (good job as usual by DF btw!). It's an impressive and ambitious port but the end result suffers from the port. It's quite soft and the framerate isn't that great.

Now granted, I have only played TW3 on a high-end gaming PC so my idea of how the game should look is perhaps different, but the overall image quality seems compromised. I still applaud CDPR for doing this and bringing what is IMO the generation's best game to a fresh audience of players.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
"We had a set of optimisations planned basically for GPU, CPU and memory consumption, to make sure it would fit in the 3.5GB [available RAM]."

I thought that the Switch had 3.25GB available to devs?

Maybe more has been allotted for these ports, reason #43 as to why the OS is so barebones haha
Maybe he just wasn't being specific,3.25 to 3.50 is not a huge difference, no reason to assumethey are using a secret mode just yet.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
if you dont have any other platforms to play it on i guess.

Most port comments have nothing to do with what people own and everything to do with the fact a 5w handheld is running a game that you usually need 20-60x more the power and much beefier cpus and gpus to run.

Derp Derp

I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the PS4 version. It's a marginal downgrade compared to something like Splinter Cell Xbox/PS2 which looked near a gen apart yeah.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Never played any of the expansions, my go through this on handheld. Also, if they can run Witcher 3 I'm convinced Switch can run anything.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think games like this really show the difference in performance between the systems is really overplayed.
You can tell from the interview it was in great measure about properly implementing all the technology, and they don't make a big deal about how it's in a completely different league with respect to the other consoles. Still an impressive achievement, but I think by now people should realize this is the kind of things the Switch was made for in the first place.

Yep, the modern architecture in the Switch really helps it punch above its weight when it comes to raw grunt. People love to downplay its power but these results kinda speak for themselves.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't look bad, but I'm worried about performance.

There's plenty of footage out there, performance looks okay overall. The biggest dips look to be in Crookback Bog, while Novigrad actually seems to run pretty well. I'm guessing this is due to the Switch's major issues with alpha effects (low bandwidth).

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I probably won't buy it cause I'm not sure to love it (I'm quite burned on open world long ass games, I really didn't like Dragon's dogma), but yeah, this is really a good port job it seems.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically in my eyes this is like getting the N64 to run Splinter Cell while looking like the PS2 version. Thats the power difference we're talking about here. Marginal is an apt description.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
When is the release date anyway? I really wanna get it since I only played through half the PS4 version

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Basically in my eyes this is like getting the N64 to run Splinter Cell while looking like the PS2 version. Thats the power difference we're talking about here. Marginal is an apt description.

Yeah I kinda agree with the use of marginal. The comparison segments of the DF video were mindblowing to me. It looks much, much more like a Gamecube/PS2 comparison than a PS3/Wii comparison.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Yeah I kinda agree with the use of marginal. The comparison segments of the DF video were mindblowing to me. It looks much, much more like a Gamecube/PS2 comparison than a PS3/Wii comparison.
I agree with your assessment. I was expecting worse, and am floored by the actual result.

That's actual Witcher 3 playing on a fucking handheld.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Technologically bonkers. This is super cool; if there were an older Xbox One/PS4 game that I would have pointed at when the Switch was announced that would I never would have seen getting a port to Switch, it would have been Witcher 3. Just incredible.

I guess if you only play Nintendo systems this is good thing. Great for a portable but ugly compared to the real versions.

I've got news for you; this is a "real version" of the game as well.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
There's plenty of footage out there, performance looks okay overall. The biggest dips look to be in Crookback Bog, while Novigrad actually seems to run pretty well. I'm guessing this is due to the Switch's major issues with alpha effects (low bandwidth).
Gotta disagree. The handheld footage looked pretty rough, performance wise. Not only in Crookback Bog. Like it was never reaching 30, just sticking to the 20's. Performance in docked mode looked more solid, but I'm only in for handheld mode.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
2018-12-30.jpg
2018-12-30.jpg

Man... I'm so impressed ...!
Talk about punching up.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really excited to play this in portable form. It seems unreal to me. ...Maybe that's why people are saying this Switch version isn't the real version and such because it seems so unreal that it can run on the Switch! :O

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how much it actually holds up, even when compared side-by-side to other versions.
Switch has more to give than we thought, I guess. And this is some unprecedented work on the part of the devs. Kudos all around.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For reference, the game running on a GPD Win 2:

Pretty common for the Witcher 3 to run on this at around 540p at 20-30 fps. Main difference is the price, of course.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
As a fake gamer, I'm happy to get this fake version.

So just to sum up, in this week we learned that Nintendo games that sells between 15 to 20 million unities are niche games, we learned that Switch can't handle Ori the way it should and the The Witcher 3 version for the hybrid is a fake version.

OK.

Noted.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a fake gamer, I'm happy to get this fake version.

So just to sum up, in this week we learned that Nintendo games that sells between 15 to 20 million unities are niche games, we learned that Switch can't handle Orí the way it should and the Witcher 3 version for the hybrid is a fake version.

OK.

Noted.
it was a really monumental week for concern trolls

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta disagree. The handheld footage looked pretty rough, performance wise. Not only in Crookback Bog. Like it was never reaching 30, just sticking to the 20's. Performance in docked mode looked more solid, but I'm only in for handheld mode.

Well that's what I mean by okay. Around 30 generally but not all that stable. It was probably around the high 20s when it dipped except for what I saw in the Bog, which looked a bit lower on average.

Oct 29, 2017
Even though this game has now 3 known fake versions, (5 if you count the Pro and X enhancements) there is also a 6th fake version on PC if you played it with an AMD card without Nvidia gameworks effects turned on.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
That looks promising... nha... very promising :)
It will be my dream game for commute... if i don't miss my stops too often.

I am very surprised they managed to bring back ambient occlusion even in portable mode... i was convinced it would be a goner for sure.

With a little luck the indoors wind will be tamed thanks to cpu resource management for physics ;)