• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but every time I enter a monument my heats sinks. All of them are tedious almost all of the time. I am currently trying to do this one where you have to jump from glowing ball to glowing ball. The perspective is fucking me over all the time. I having such a horrible time. I want to smash my controller to pieces. Stuff like this makes me want to ragequit this game for good.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's just me, but every time I enter a monument my heats sinks. All of them are tedious almost all of the time. I am currently trying to do this one where you have to jump from glowing ball to glowing ball. The perspective is fucking me over all the time. I having such a horrible time. I want to smash my controller to pieces. Stuff like this makes me want to ragequit this game for good.
I loved 'em all EXCEPT that exact one that you're on. That part sucks and should be changed as it just doesn't play well. I feel your pain there.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ok, if this is the low point and the rest is at least tolerable, then I will make myself persevere.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
That's not a high standard.

It should have been. The only reason for the remake to exist was to look better than the original Gameboy game, since the gameplay was close to being 1:1. They didn't have to spend a dime regarding things like level design or story, yet they delivered a sub par product technically speaking; really a case of "you had one job".
It's disappointing to me that the game did so well while absolutely not deserving it, and something like The Touryst will be mostly ignored even though there's far more love and talent in it.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing, really lovely game! On the 3rd island so far, everything up until this point has not been very challenging. But it's just a very beautiful, relaxing game.

Except for this
snake "boss" I'm now on. He keeps pushing the stone blocks away from the water things, and I don't know what to do. Be fast I guess? Pretty difficult, it's extremely finicky to even get the things on there.

Edit: Alright, figured it out.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
It should have been. The only reason for the remake to exist was to look better than the original Gameboy game, since the gameplay was close to being 1:1. They didn't have to spend a dime regarding things like level design or story, yet they delivered a sub par product technically speaking; really a case of "you had one job".
It's disappointing to me that the game did so well while absolutely not deserving it, and something like The Touryst will be mostly ignored even though there's far more love and talent in it.

Not to derail the thread, but I completely agree. LA was one of the most disappointing games of the year for me, and it is selling phenomenally. Hopefully a Switch pro will help the unlocked framerate or they can release a capped 30fps.
I can't wait to jump in the Touryst once I clear my backlog, but had no problem buying it full price on day 1. Shin'En are wizards. They deserve success and a big budget to work with.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish one day Shin'en finally decide that their games are worthy of the physical format so I can finally invest in their work.

I did my part by importing Fast Racing Neo on Wii U from Europe back then, and they never did it again...

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Even still, I'd rather they remain independent and be able to work as they want to.
Im all for independence. And Shin'en decides to stay that way I'm cool with it. Insomniac was a much bigger 2nd party studio than Shin'en and they even finally joined Sony after making like 90% (guessing) of their games exclusively for PlayStation. There seems to be a lot of talent and potential there at Shin'en and I would love to see it manifested in an even bigger project whether it's F-Zero or a new IP entirely.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game because I randomly watched that DF video on YouTube.
I love it.

But I hate that fucking first game in the arcade. Can't for the life of me get 4500 points in the race, but had no problem with the other two games.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I love it.

But I hate that fucking first game in the arcade. Can't for the life of me get 4500 points in the race, but had no problem with the other two games.
It requires extreme precision, I found - you really can't make any mistakes. That was probably my favorite of the three but, yeah, it can be frustrating.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Just did the orb puzzle. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I died a lot, but it was because I did stupid stuff. I kind of enjoyed it.
I love it.
Honestly, DF was the reason I got this game as well. I hope they continue to look at games that aren't on anyone's radar. Lot's of work for them, but hopefully it pays off.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Thinking of getting this for my 7 year old, is it something he could enjoy or is the game itself a little bit too complex in that regard?

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
It requires extreme precision, I found - you really can't make any mistakes. That was probably my favorite of the three but, yeah, it can be frustrating.
Yep, you're right. I was at the point where I was only making one mistake in one of two different spots, but because I was always falling off the track on either one, I wouldn't be able to catch up (in terms of points/time, I mean). I'm sure I can get it eventually, but I don't want to waste all my coins on video games in a video game! lol

Honestly, DF was the reason I got this game as well. I hope they continue to look at games that aren't on anyone's radar. Lot's of work for them, but hopefully it pays off.
Yeah, 100% agreed. This is the kind of stuff I love to play, watch, and read about in my ever-so-limited gaming time these days.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
shinen games have always looked technically impressive to me, but I never actually found them all that fun. this game on the other hand looks like something I would love. will probably download it later.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of getting this for my 7 year old, is it something he could enjoy or is the game itself a little bit too complex in that regard?

Nope, not complex at all. It's disarmingly simple in its approach to the gameplay, but always throws you a nice little thinker of a puzzle that's always fun and engaging to try and solve. It's got plenty of variety and offers so many neat little things to discover and play around it. It rewards exploration, and I'd say it's perfect for that age group.

I bought this thanks to this thread and the DF video (even though I'm not following the technical jargon and don't really care much when a game is praised for hitting 60fps). I do not regret buying The Touryst one bit.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Nope, not complex at all. It's disarmingly simple in its approach to the gameplay, but always throws you a nice little thinker of a puzzle that's always fun and engaging to try and solve. It's got plenty of variety and offers so many neat little things to discover and play around it. It rewards exploration, and I'd say it's perfect for that age group.

I bought this thanks to this thread and the DF video (even though I'm not following the technical jargon and don't really care much when a game is praised for hitting 60fps). I do not regret buying The Touryst one bit.

Going to pick this up for Christmas and play it with my son, looks great from what I have watched, so many great games to play this Christmas.