• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
For 20 years theyve essentially produced titles exclusively for Nintendo platforms. Their life wouldn't change much if they were to be acquired.

Instead of expanding their studio they've explicitly stated they've chosen to increase everyone's QoL. If thry were acquired they don't get a say in how thr money is spent or their priorities. You're really off base here.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I definitely get that. I found most of the platforming very fun and simple but there was that spot with the spheres floating in black space that was just...brutal and unfair. The perspective didn't really work there.
Omg YES. I honestly couldn't believe this was left in. What was worse, I finished the puzzle, but missed the jump to get to the Monument core, so I had to do it all over again. Maybe took me a half hour to do that one section.

Would you mind elaborating on this?
Basically what me and Dark1x talked about. During a section where you jump down different levels of a mine, you can barely adjust the camera's x axis and you can't adjust the y axis at all, and the camera doesn't lower entirely with your jump so after too short of time, a missed jump registers a failure of the challenge. So you have to start from the beginning of the level. Whereas if the camera would've just followed my character, the platform was often right below me and I would've made it.

Basically the isometric camera works to the game's detriment too much during platforming.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Basically what me and Dark1x talked about. During a section where you jump down different levels of a mine, you can barely adjust the camera's x axis and you can't adjust the y axis at all, and the camera doesn't lower entirely with your jump so after too short of time, a missed jump registers a failure of the challenge. So you have to start from the beginning of the level. Whereas if the camera would've just followed my character, the platform was often right below me and I would've made it.

Basically the isometric camera works to the game's detriment too much during platforming.

Gotcha. Does it seem patchable? Or a fundamental issue?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Very impressive and it reminds me Fez a lot , which is good. But I don't own the hardware anymore. Congratulations to Shinen nonetheless.

Kevvin

Oct 28, 2017
Bought the game a few weeks ago when it launched. I was stunned to see the small file size. I'd have to agree that the platforming isn't my favorite aspect of it but the game has an atmosphere and intrigue that makes me want to explore. I keep getting subtle Earthbound vibes from the NPC's and how zany some of the side missions seem to be coupled with how you slowly uncover the areas and their deliberately secretive
mechanics.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I should have bought this at launch, but this video tipped me over the edge. Shin'en are codemasters.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The video doesn't explain the game that well.

What type of game is it exactly?

A puzzler like Captain toad?

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the C64 was much less of a thing in the US compared to Europe, so I guess John just doesn't know about the game.

I don't know, with Commodore being an American company, I'd think the C64 surely was big enough there as well.

But that's actually not even the point here, because Bomb Jack originally is an arcade game (so what platform that longplay was recorded from doesn't really matter) an Jet Pac was best known on the Spectrum - which I'm fairly sure was a machine that didn't matter much outside the UK in its days and definitely less than the C64. So if we go with John being American asn an explanation, it would be actually even more puzzling in a way that he's comparing the mini-game in Touryst to Jet Pac instead of Bomb Jack.

I'm aware this is rather pedantic, but it just bugs me somewhat especially as he's not the only person to do so, I've seen that comparison a number of times by now.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Fundamental.

don't get me wrong, I really REALLY enjoyed this game. Just it's better as an adventure game.
Eh, I could see that but...it's only one section. It's just a rough section. It could be patchable too if they adjust that puzzle. I think that's the only real trouble spot in the game but, yeah, I can't believe that's in there.

I got the game and been slowly playing and enjoying it but I dunno about GOTY contender.
Oh, I wouldn't say GOTY as a whole - just that it might be on my list and it's probably the Switch (exclusive) game I've enjoyed most this year. There are others I would put in front of it, though.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I knew it was special when they showed this game at one of the Directs but damn, it really seems to be really damn good.

Also, had no idea that their GBA game looked and still looks that good.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Anyone playing it and finished it...how long is the game? I take my sweet time with games that let me explore.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I don't know, with Commodore being an American company, I'd think the C64 surely was big enough there as well.

But that's actually not even the point here, because Bomb Jack originally is an arcade game (so what platform that longplay was recorded from doesn't really matter) an Jet Pac was best known on the Spectrum - which I'm fairly sure was a machine that didn't matter much outside the UK in its days and definitely less than the C64. So if we go with John being American asn an explanation, it would be actually even more puzzling in a way that he's comparing the mini-game in Touryst to Jet Pac instead of Bomb Jack.

I'm aware this is rather pedantic, but it just bugs me somewhat especially as he's not the only person to do so, I've seen that comparison a number of times by now.

I never heard of Jet Pac and spent dozens of hours on the arcades playing Bomb Jack, so I was a bit puzzled at that section too lol.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Never even heard of this game until I saw this video pop up in my sub feed. Not a surprise this game looks and runs amazing considering it's Shin'en who also pumped out Fast RMX which was a launch title for the Switch yet still looks and plays amazing today.

Nintendo should honestly get these guys to make the next F-Zero.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
One of the best games I played all year.
It's silky smooth and very pretty to look at 100% of the time which is an impressive feat.
if you want a 6-8 hour adventure platformer that is very unique, I highly recommend picking this up!

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Aight, I was debating on getting this now or waiting for a sale due to my backlog, but I think I'm gonna snag it immediately

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, this video and the game was a real surprise.

Certain small gems like these tend to get missed, its really good that DF is finding time to spend on smaller well deserving titles too.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Fantastic work as always, Dark1x! I'm so glad you found the time to do a video on this game. It seemed to release with such little fanfare, hopefully this will make more people aware of this great little gem! Shin'en are total wizards!

I'm loving everything about the game, especially the surfing... My California Dreams have come true!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That is exactly what I was afraid of. The video title is troubling if that's the case.
It's literally just one part of the game which has this problem, though. One room!

It's not a full on GOTY for me - but I do think it might be my favorite Switch exclusive game this year.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
what i like about john is that he doesnt only is a tech savant but that he understands and appreciates good game/visual design. Also df retro is amazing, great work, keep it coming :))

Yes, this is another excellent video from Dark1x !

I also like the brief look at some of Shin'en's earlier games. I have been amazed how much power they've been able to squeeze out of systems with (relatively) limited abilities compared to some of their contemporary competitors. Their background in the Amiga demo scene has surely helped hone their skills.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally just one part of the game which has this problem, though. One room!

It's not a full on GOTY for me - but I do think it might be my favorite Switch exclusive game this year.

Sounds good to me. I sub to your videos and that title really caught me off guard (in a good way), will most definitely purchase this!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Touryst is absolutely my GotY. It's an incredibly unique experience.

Edit - Actually, it's between The Touryst, Slay the Spire, and Katana ZERO. Forgot about the other two. Great year for indies.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
I was holding out since I have spent A LOT this month and put this particular game on hold despite being a Shin'en fan.

But fuck me, this is my next purchase. Not only it does look gorgeous but seems to be a very relaxing game. It's exactly what I want.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
One thing that I would like Shin'en to improve is on the personality of their games... they're well made but...

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It looks good but I'm tired of games taking the 'just make it look like Minecraft' character style. The blocky humanoids are very appealing to kids, but I really don't care for that.

Blocky world is fine if they do something interesting with it. This seems like a way to create environments quickly and consistently.

Jan 2, 2018
This looks great, but man that main character design is trash.

image12.jpg

What?!