• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls-like gameplay in a sci-fi setting? Sounds good to us. Here's a detailed look at how The Surge 2 from Focus Home Interactive and Deck 13 stacks up on every console system, from Xbox One S through PS4 and Pro up to the mighty X.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the Digital Foundry Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads of everything we do: http://www.digitalfoundry.net

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
FPS isn't actually that bad.

Seems like the bigger issues are with textures and such. So hopefully that is resolved soon for those on console!

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL; DW

- PS4 and Pro seems to be missing TAA but it's been confirmed this is a bug and should be resolved post-release.
- PS4 Pro/Base PS4 and Base XBO also have texture loading issue where higher quality textures are often loaded very late, or not at all.

- XBX and Pro offer choice of Quality or Performance modes.
- Toggling performance/quality modes requires restarting the game.
- Base consoles only offer one mode at 30 FPS.
- All consoles/modes have dynamic resolution scaling.

Base XBO: 720p to 900p
Base PS4: 1280x1080p to full 1080p (only scales horizontally)
Xbox One X: Quality mode: 1620p to 4K
Xbox One X: Perf mode: 900p to 1080p
PS4 Pro: Perf: 1280x1080p to full 1080p (only scales horizontally)
PS4 Pro: Quality: 1280x1620p to 2880x1620p (only scales horizontally)

- Quality mode on Pro and base PS4 version can jump to 60 FPS when looking at the sky with tearing (doesn't effect game play).
- On XBX quality mode looking at the sky then down can drop some frames (again, doesn't effect game play)
- Performance modes on XBX/Pro are 'fluid with some dips', akin to Doom 2016. Drops are minor and don't effect game play much.

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
TL; DW

- PS4 and Pro seems to be missing TAA but it's been confirmed this is a bug and should be resolved post-release.
- PS4 Pro also has texture loading issue where higher quality textures are often loaded very late, or not at all.

Base XBO: Dynamic 720p to 900p
Base PS4: 1280x1080p to full 1080p (only scales horizontally)
Xbox One X: Quality mode: 1620p to 4K
Xbox One X: Perf mode: 900p to 1080p
PS4 Pro: Perf: 1280x1080p to full 1080p (only scales horizontally)
PS4 Pro: Quality: 1280x1620p to 2880x1620p (only scales horizontally)

- Toggling performance/quality modes requires restarting the game.

- Quality mode on Pro and PS4 can jump to 60 FPS when looking at the sky with tearing (doesn't effect game play).
- On XBX mode looking at the sky then down can drop frames (again, doesn't effect game play)
- Performance modes on XBX/Pro are 'fluid with some dips', akin to Doom 2016. Drops are minor and don't effect game play much.

The detailed summaries are why I always hope you post DF threads. Thanks for all the hard work, it's really appreciated.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
A games launching without any anti-aliasing whatsoever if pretty inexcusable, imho. Sure, they'll add it in a patch, but launching in this state... yeesh.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A games launching without any anti-aliasing whatsoever if pretty inexcusable, imho. Sure, they'll add it in a patch, but launching in this state... yeesh.

To be fair they say it's a bug, not intentionally ommitted. Should be fixed in a few days hopefully.

The detailed summaries are why I always hope you post DF threads. Thanks for all the hard work, it's really appreciated.

Thank you, it stems from years ago when I used to be in Uni and while GAF was whitelisted for some reason, YouTube wasn't and I wasn't able to watch DF videos :p

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The texture loading issue isn't exclusive to PS4 pro, they said its on base PS4 and base xbox one, they are not very clear if its on xbox one X though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The mighty. Jesus Christ. Now I want to see them call something like this the next ps5.
In console terms, it's pretty "mighty" considering the GPU, GDDR5 and bandwidth difference between it and the Pro. Obviously it pales in comparison to something like the mighty RTX 2080TI though.
Every single time they talk about the X it seems to hear a MS PR. Don't remind all that enthusiasm around the PS4 and Xbox multiplat.
I think this says more about you than DF.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
In console terms, it's pretty "mighty" considering the GPU, GDDR5 and bandwidth difference between it and the Pro. Obviously it pales in comparison to something like the mighty RTX 2080TI though.

I think this says more about you than DF.
General speaking even the PS4 was quite 'phenomenal' considered the price point especially looking the other counterpart specs. But I never heard the same enthusiasm around it.
The X hardware not offer nothing special than what offered PS4 at the time, more or less, but sure it's me the problem here, because I shouldn't dare to notice this continues attitude about them.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The mighty. Jesus Christ. Now I want to see them call something like this the next ps5.
AFAIK they never used any superlative adjectives concerning PS5, even after the serious info we got from actual journalists after E3 or the Wired interview with the Spiderman SSD demo. They just reported that devs were "happy" with PS5.

They did start some kind of hype campaign about Scarlett, based on mere forum rumors, with a "12 Tflops beast" mention in one article based on their own sources, but that was before the E3 more serious info. Not a word after that though.

They are just very enthusiastic when it's about Xbox somehow. I think they have the right to. It's their articles.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding off on my PS4 pro playthrough specifically because the textures not loading in properly. I hope they patch it soon.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
AFAIK they never used any superlative adjectives concerning PS5, even after the serious info we got from actual journalists after E3 or the Wired interview with the Spiderman SSD demo. They just reported that devs were "happy" with PS5.

They did start some kind of hype campaign about Scarlett, based on mere forum rumors, with a "12 Tflops beast" mention in one article based on their own sources, but that was before the E3 more serious info. Not a word after that though.

They are just very enthusiastic when it's about Xbox somehow. I think they have the right to. It's their articles.
I find that people who say this sort of thing tend to be the ones that are biased. We don't actually care at all. At least I don't. We get these exact comments in regards to every single platform. So you can just copy and paste your statement and replace Xbox with PlayStation or Switch and it's been written many times. It's you, not us.

The issue with PS5 and the like is that there really ISN'T much in the way of good info out there.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I never said that. Just to be clear. The only thing I said if the ps5 really will turn to be the more powerful how is leaked, if this abuse of positive adjective will follow every analysis about the ps5 version. My curiosity.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I find that people who say this sort of thing tend to be the ones that are biased. We don't actually care at all. At least I don't. We get these exact comments in regards to every single platform. So you can just copy and paste your statement and replace Xbox with PlayStation or Switch and it's been written many times. It's you, not us.

The issue with PS5 and the like is that there really ISN'T much in the way of good info out there.
I have to be biased because I noticed an attitude which I don't like? Personally I don't think it's a coincidence and it's just something I can't avoid to notice.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
General speaking even the PS4 was quite 'phenomenal' considered the price point especially looking the other counterpart specs. But I never heard the same enthusiasm around it.
The X hardware not offer nothing special than what offered PS4 at the time, more or less, but sure it's me the problem here, because I shouldn't dare to notice this continues attitude about them.
You have to be kidding? Perhaps you are too young to remember the "GDDR5!!!!!!"

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That lack of TAA drops the PS versions in my eyes but all systems seem pretty solid. No major issues with base, 1X at the top and Pro not overly far behind. No matter what system you pick, seems Surge 2 will be fine.

Hopefully they patch the texture loading issue.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Pay no attention to the tinfoil hat "DF is biased" brigade. It's always the same statements, but the best part is that the side they say you're biased toward changes. In the end if you look at them all, they're "Not Difference".

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have to be biased because I noticed an attitude which I don't like? Personally I don't think it's a coincidence and it's just something I can't avoid to notice.
In my opinion, yes!

Here's how I see it play out constantly.

Console Fandom Complete Analysis

Person A likes PlayStation, Person B likes Xbox

If Person A reads a positive Xbox piece, they will remember that as something they don't agree with and it annoys them...but if they read a positive PlayStation piece from the same source, they don't hold onto this as strongly - it's the thing they disagree with that sticks with them.

Person B experiences the same thing but reversed.

So, when discussing a piece, Person A will always remember those times when positives things were said about Xbox without considering all the positive things that have also been said about PlayStation and will draw a conclusion that the source is biased in favor of the thing they don't like (Xbox). Again, Person B experiences these same things but inverted.

This isn't new and people can't help but I see it constantly. If it were JUST fans of one particular company/console, then it might make sense to look at oneself and consider "Am I really acting this way?" but when fans of every console say the SAME THINGS then I take that to mean that we're right on the money. That means we're balanced. At least, that is my opinion on the matter.

It's something I've dealt with for years now and it weighs heavily on me but, for myself, I can say with 100% certainty that I hold no real preference in favor of a current platform as I don't have any real emotional attachment to them these days as a result of them basically being 'work'. Any words used to describe them, either positive or negative, are more likely to be chosen from the perspective of keeping the writing interesting rather than a preference.

...and I get it. I used to act this way too 20 years ago on the original GAF. I know exactly how this works and I've been there. Looking over your post history, you prefer PlayStation over Xbox. Am I wrong to say that? I think you are person A in this story and you're behaving exactly as I described.

I also understand loving a console, though, don't get me wrong. The way you feel about PlayStation 4 is the way I feel about Mega Drive or Saturn, honestly. So, yeah, I understand that. Of course, I also love N64, PlayStation, Super NES etc...

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People having a go at DF again cause they aren't waxing superlatively enough about their platform of choice whilst shouting at the moon that they are not biased.....

It's. So. Fucking. Obvious.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion, yes!

If Person A reads a positive Xbox piece, they will remember that as something they don't agree with and it annoys them...but if they read a positive PlayStation piece from the same source, they don't hold onto this as strongly - it's the thing they disagree with that sticks with them.

So, when discussing a piece, Person A will always remember those times when positives things were said about Xbox without considering all the positive things that have also been said about PlayStation and will draw a conclusion that the source is biased in favor of the thing they don't like (Xbox). Again, Person B experiences these same things but inverted.

This isn't new and people can't help but I see it constantly. If it were JUST fans of one particular company/console, then it might make sense to look at oneself and consider "Am I really acting this way?" but when fans of every console say the SAME THINGS then I take that to mean that we're right on the money. That means we're balanced. At least, that is my opinion on the matter.

It's something I've dealt with for years now and it weighs heavily on me but, for myself, I can say with 100% certainty that I hold no real preference in favor of a current platform as I don't have any real emotional attachment to them these days as a result of them basically being 'work'. Any words used to describe them, either positive or negative, are more likely to be chosen from the perspective of keeping the writing interesting rather than a preference.

...and I get it. I used to act this way too 20 years ago on the original GAF. I know exactly how this works and I've been there. Looking over your post history, you prefer PlayStation over Xbox. Am I wrong to say that? I think you are person A in this story and you're behaving exactly as I described.

I also understand loving a console, though, don't get me wrong. The way you feel about PlayStation 4 is the way I feel about Mega Drive or Saturn, honestly. So, yeah, I understand that. Of course, I also love N64, PlayStation, Super NES etc...

This is pure gold. You should do a video on it, John!

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
In my opinion, yes!

So let me say what's exactly the point to look to my post history? Because I 'prefer' the playstation everything I noticed it's absolutely false and DF has never have any precedent of preference attitude for the Xbox brand? Never? Can I say in my opinion it's totally false?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So let me say what's the point to look to my post history? Because I 'prefer' the playstation everything said it's absolutely false and DF has never have sort of preference for the Xbox brand? Never? Can I say for my opinion it's totally false?
What I'm saying is that I don't have any preference for any modern machine but am constantly labeled a fanboy of each of them depending on which console the person in question prefers. It's on a rotation, basically. What you're saying can be literally copy and pasted but Xbox replaced with PlayStation brand or Switch brand. You're doing what others do but with a PlayStation bias. You have a PlayStation preference and you're saying untrue things about us as a result. Period.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
WTF is wrong with people. The X is by far the most powerful console. Of course DF, who care about gfx quality and performance, would be positive towards it. When they talk about PS4 exclusives that always have impressive graphics they rave on about that. I don't see how thats wrong. Likewise they are positive to the nVidia 2080ti on the PC side. Power matters when you work with graphics and performance. I would be shocked if they didn't get enthusiastic about it.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Did the same people not go online when we only had the base PS4 and Xbox One? The Xbox One was constantly called out for poor performance or resolution? Was that also bias?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What I'm saying is that I don't have any preference for any modern machine but am constantly labeled a fan boy of all of them depending on which console the person in question prefers. It happens constantly. What you're saying can be literally copy and pasted but Xbox replaced with PlayStation brand or Switch brand. You're doing what others do but with a PlayStation bias. You have a PlayStation preference and you're saying untrue things about us as a result. Period.
I never used the word fanboy. But like I said no, I don't think to say untrue things about DF attitude. I understood you have to defend your staff, but my apologies it's my thought about this matter and I doubt to be a crazy visionary.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It seems the first game was performing better on PS4 Pro. DF considered it as the best use of PS4 Pro.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It seems the first game was performing better on PS4 Pro. DF considered it as the best use of PS4 Pro.
Remember, when it shipped, the Xbox One X did not exist. That patch came much later.

It was a great use because the base machines were just 30fps while Pro exclusively had a 60fps mode!

Unfortunately, the console release of 2 definitely has some additional polish issues but I know they working on it.

I never used the word fanboy. But like I said no, I don't think to say untrue things about DF attitude. I understood you have to defend your staff, but my apologies it's my thought about this matter and I doubt to be a crazy visionary.
You know what I dislike about this?

I've had to endure people making videos about us saying we're Pro-Sony and anti-Xbox to the point where I get abusive DMs on Twitter. When I praised Spider-Man and shut down that puddle BS, for instance, it was a nightmare. People making all sorts of accusations about us being too positive about PS4.

Then...when I was positive about Gears 5? Do you know what happened? The same thing.

Let's not even get into the Switch!

The point is - people like you make this accusations based on their own biases but it doesn't mean they are true. This stuff hurts. It's why I stepped away from all forums for about a month. I really don't need this kind of attitude. It's unfair and hurtful.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Thread completely derailed because a member took offense at a single innocuous adjective. .

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Remember, when it shipped, the Xbox One X did not exist. That patch came much later.

It was a great use because the base machines were just 30fps while Pro exclusively had a 60fps mode!

Unfortunately, the console release of 2 definitely has some additional polish issues but I know they working on it.

I know. And tbh I kinda was expecting the sequel wouldn't perform the same somehow.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
So let me say what's exactly the point to look to my post history? Because I 'prefer' the playstation everything I noticed it's absolutely false and DF has never have any precedent of preference attitude for the Xbox brand? Never? Can I say in my opinion it's totally false?
Did you read the rest of the post you quoted?

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway

If anything they would be PC fanboys. Have you seen their videos talking about raytracing?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
My only complaint when it comes to any possible DF bias is when a weaker console performance matches the stronger one. If an Xbone version of a game has parity with a PS4 version, it's a great achievement. When a PS4 Pro version of game has parity with the One X, it's a problem. The power gulf between the two base and enhanced consoles is roughly identical (comparing teraflops, ~33-35%).

But really, this is minor. By and large, DF deals with facts, and I love them for it.

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Oh, that's right...but then you get into AMD vs Nvidia which is an entirely different thing!

We love everything, I guess! People can't deal with that.

Well, I don't think you need to love everything. Based on what your job is you naturally would be more enthusiastic towards the more powerful platforms. I don't need you to love the base Xbox One 🙂