• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I found the video very well-researched and interesting. One thing I'm kind of unclear on (maybe I missed this as I was listening while making coffee) -- are we speculating that games with dynamic resolution would "automatically" (i.e. with no patch) benefit from this theoretical Switch (I know this has been speculated in the Resetera thread)? That alone would make it worth it for me.

Lol that intro where Alex says PROUDLY cracks me up every time.

Same. I don't know Alex, but all I can see is Hank Hill.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the video very well-researched and interesting. One thing I'm kind of unclear on (maybe I missed this as I was listening while making coffee) -- are we speculating that games with dynamic resolution would "automatically" (i.e. with no patch) benefit from this theoretical Switch (I know this has been speculated in the Resetera thread)? That alone would make it worth it for me.
yea, it should. the main limitation would be games having a lower high end.

Nov 2, 2017
So I know that Nintendo and nVidia have an arrangement together. Does this mean that the switch will be constantly updated as nVidia release newer Tegra chips?

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Went half way through the video and he only talked about the potential ram being doubled, I couldn't watch it all. They are so slow DF REALLY NEEDS to get to the point faster and not try to push for the 10min mark.
Lol I thought I was the only one. I just shake my head and close the vids at times.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Do you have examples of times where this was an issue (in the videos I made, at least)?
This video, I was waiting for power speculation/ram/gflop. Watched half way through only doubled ram I got out of it. Not sure if you had more speculations or not, but it seemed from the video title at least I would know speculated performance of it(Tflop and such).

What do you mean "creators who do their own work"?
I probably phrased that very wrong, I meant by their on content, the people who do comedy sketches animation, playthrough etc.

I mean your video is fine for those who are interested in all of this info/rumors, but I just wanted quick update on what to expect from switch and nothing more, I also wouldn't mind watching the whole video if it was related to performance on games and such ,but we don't have any info on those, so quick video would have been a lot better imo, or at least a summary at the start of the video.

Then again I'm not a content creator just a viewer, you probably know better than me ,but I just wanted to give my point of view as a viewer.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

Games already do benefit from OC'ing your Switch to higher clock speeds (docked & undocked) if you homebrew/hack your system without any extra patches from the games. If you run Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Wolfenstein 2 for example, the image sharpens as well as framerate stabilizes/improves. Wolfenstein 2 is capped at 30 though even with OC'ing.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

It might be that there's a whitelist of games that can use higher clocks.
In the case of undocked mode, there's already multiple GPU profiles so they probably won't override them all with a new one, when some games (especially. 2D games) won't benefit from it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a normal predictions type episode where people have baseless guesses. These guys are consistently knowledgeable and are doing their research

There is absolutely nothing in this video that anyone following the scene wouldn't know or have known, and in fact ripping off the Switchbrew wiki and not crediting them was the icing on the cake.

A surprisingly poor video considering the specs (I'm sure) will most likely be known by their industry contacts.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
yea, it should. the main limitation would be games having a lower high end.

Games already do benefit from higher clock speeds if you homebrew/hack your system without any extra patches applied. If you run Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Wolfenstein 2 for example, the image sharpens as well as framerate stabilizes/improves.

Ah, thanks. I've seen a few videos of homebrewed/overclocked Switches running, and I'd pleased as punch with those results on a commercial Switch.

It might be that there's a whitelist of games that can use higher clocks.

See, I'm curious about stuff like that. If such a whitelist requires work on the backend, should we be less optimistic about seeing results in existing games?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I know that Nintendo and nVidia have an arrangement together. Does this mean that the switch will be constantly updated as nVidia release newer Tegra chips?
hard to say. Nvidia doesn't really make consumer grade Tegras anymore. they'll probably still make new chips for Nintendo, but until something happens, it's just speculation

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This video, I was waiting for power speculation/ram/gflop. Watched half way through only doubled ram I got out of it. Not sure if you had more speculations or not, but it seemed from the video title at least I would know speculated performance of it(Tflop and such).

I probably phrased that very wrong, I meant by their on content, the people who do comedy sketches animation, playthrough etc.

I mean your video is fine for those who are interested in all of this info/rumors, but I just wanted quick update on what to expect from switch and nothing more, I also wouldn't mind watching the whole video if it was related to performance on games and such ,but we don't have any info on those, so quick video would have been a lot better imo, or at least a summary at the start of the video.

Then again I'm not a content creator just a viewer, you probably know better than me ,but I just wanted to give my point of view as a viewer.
I didn't make this video hence why I was asking for examples.

For the videos I produce, I handle every aspect - writing, editing, capturing, voice over, filming etc.

Did you check out any of my videos?

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, thanks. I've seen a few videos of homebrewed/overclocked Switches running, and I'd pleased as punch with those results on a commercial Switch.

See, I'm curious about stuff like that. If such a whitelist requires work on the backend, should we be less optimistic about seeing results in existing games?
Possibly but we'll just have to wait and see. Could be that the groundwork for it was done 1-2 years ago and nothing new has to be done.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I didn't make this video hence why I was asking for examples.

For the videos I produce, I handle every aspect - writing, editing, capturing, voice over, filming etc.

Did you check out any of my videos?

You replied to my comment complaining about the video I assumed you were the guy in the video, or had something to do with the length of the video since you said you never stretch out videos implying that you had something to do with it.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I would understand for creators who do their own work to make it 10+ min ,but for a channel that suppose to be bringing analyze/news you want to get to the point asap .

Edit: DF guy said 10 min is still as important as ever.

Those kind of videos are supposed to be longer not shorter. The point of analyzing something is to go into detail.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You replied to my comment complaining about the video I assumed you were the guy in the video, or had something to do with the length of the video since you said you never stretch out videos implying that you had something to do with it.
You were complaining about the channel in general, I thought, as if this was a trend. Is it just this video that's the issue?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I never artificially extend videos - they are always exactly as long as I need. However the 10 minute minimum is absolutely crucial to survival due to how YouTube works. Going for less means failure. Plain and simple.
You should have just said the second part.
The first sentence really looks like you're saying "we don't, but we do" when followed by the bolded part : P.

It's a legitimate reason to go for 10 minutes anyway, which is enough then.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You should have just said the second part.
The first sentence really looks like you're saying "we don't, but we do" when followed by the bolded part : P.

It's a legitimate reason to go for 10 minutes anyway, which is enough then.
Ha, well, that's true but I usually can't say what I want to say in under 10 minutes since the topic is often broad. So it worked out well for me.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
You were complaining about the channel in general, I thought, as if this was a trend. Is it just this video that's the issue?
Yeah any pre-reveal spec analyses video basically feels way too long and most of the video info are things we already know from E3/rumors, look for xbox scarlet reveal spec analyze video for example, I know about most of the things you guys talked about before even watching the video. When you guys use the word 'analyze' I expect facts us viewers don't have access to and I would be learning something new immediately.

Though I can totally see the appeal to those videos, for the people who aren't caught up with the news, Especially with the the quality of your videos I can definitely see the hard work you guys put on doing them

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah any pre-reveal spec analyses video basically feels way too long and most of the video info are things we already know from E3/rumors, look for xbox scarlet reveal spec analyze video for example, I know about most of the things you guys talked about before even watching the video. When you guys use the word 'analyze' I expect facts us viewers don't have access to and I would be learning something new immediately.

Though I can totally see the appeal to those videos, for the people who aren't caught up with the news, Especially with the the quality of your videos I can definitely see the hard work you guys put on doing them
Oh, well, I never make these types of videos myself. Not my thing. They aren't that common either and people seem to enjoy them. You suggested that the channel was going down hill but it seems like you just don't enjoy these spec videos? Is that right?

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Oh, well, I never make these types of videos myself. Not my thing. They aren't that common either and people seem to enjoy them. You suggested that the channel was going down hill but it seems like you just don't enjoy these spec videos? Is that right?
I only said you guys are slow going to the point , I never said this channel going to hell. The other performance videos of games are definitely justifiable imo, since we don't have any tools/ knowledge and everything about game performance analyze is new to us.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
I only said you guys are slow going to the point , I never said this channel going to hell. The other performance videos of games are definitely justifiable imo, since we don't have any tools/ knowledge and everything about game performance analyze is new to us.
Going to have to agree, I turn these on after work and I dead ass fall asleep in my chair waiting for them to get to the meat.

I enjoy spec videos but you guys spend 5 decades getting to the damn point.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
If some information is not treated in a DF video, then it means that it is not available publically. It's not their fault if Nintendo and Nvidia are scheming stuff secretely.
DF (outside of John's Retro videos which he does for free out of passion) aren't creating videos online for fun. They're made to generate revenue.

I love Richard's Switch videos but this one really wasn't needed imo.

Keep an eye out for the new Switch to be revealed in the coming weeks as I've noticed a trend with DF making content about products that are about to become public knowledge (their Witcher 3 Switch port video is a recent example).

Richard certainly knows more than he lets on. He's been in the industry for 25+ years and has a lot of contacts.
I can agree on that. One reason he did not dissect the improved performance of the overclocked Switch has probably to do with the fact that he doesn't want to piss these very people off. He had a potential 1M views / 20 minutes video at hand and didn't discuss any aspect of the subject.

My take on this is that it must mean something. And that something is that the chip in the next Switch will see an increase in performance that can be emulated by overclocking the current model. Richard knows it. It must be deliberate.
That's an excellent question. And if the answer is out there, then it might come from DF first.
There is absolutely nothing in this video that anyone following the scene wouldn't know or have known, and in fact ripping off the Switchbrew wiki and not crediting them was the icing on the cake.

A surprisingly poor video considering the specs (I'm sure) will most likely be known by their industry contacts.
I disagree with you. DF videos are actually THE place where you can have access to the latest, most correct information about upcoming console hardware. They list all facts and make educated guesses from there on. It doesn't get any better than this unless you can straight out hang out with Thraktor.

Not everyone has the time to browse 500 pages of a thread on Resetera. By checking DF instead, you save a awful lot of time.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is pretty rare, though? These spec videos are uncommon.

I was just interested to know if you had watched any of my videos and found this to be the case, basically. I'm looking for feedback on my own videos.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think that above everything else, the real bottleneck of the Switch is having 4Gb RAM instead of 8Gb

I don't think this is true because while the other systems have 8GB of RAM only like 5.5GB are useable for games. Switch has 3.25GB useable for games, the difference there is not that big.

RAM bandwidth is probably a bigger issue.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think this is pretty rare, though? These spec videos are uncommon.

I was just interested to know if you had watched any of my videos and found this to be the case, basically. I'm looking for feedback on my own videos.
Haven't watched any videos without that popular DF guy yet, will let watch them and let you later on.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
All newer Tegra SoCs are targeted at automotive / AI markets and won't fit the needs of a gaming console - portable or not.
Anything NV may make for future Nintendo consoles will have to be custom built.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The whining is necessary but to focus on only the padding hurts discussion. I was wondering if we were getting a switch that gets a big enough performance boost such that the switch pro is as capable in getting some ps5 and xbox anaconda ports. The ram upgrade at 6gb would be problematic. Hopefully it ends up being 8gb.

The CPU clock speed though is far short of what it needs to be. Even if the GPU is a massive improvement it still won't matter with the CPU bottleneck.

The only great news out of all this even though I'll never buy it is that the switch mini potentially will use a passive heatsink. If that is the case the chance it will cost less than 200 has gone up.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with you. DF videos are actually THE place where you can have access to the latest, most correct information about upcoming console hardware. They list all facts and make educated guesses from there on. It doesn't get any better than this unless you can straight out hang out with Thraktor.

Not everyone has the time to browse 500 pages of a thread on Resetera. By checking DF instead, you save a awful lot of time.

I don't get my info regarding the Switch from here.

While I understand Nintendo has been very cagey about true Mariko specs with some devs (NDA's notwithstanding), the specs have been known for some time, so I don't doubt that while DF have conversations with 'industry contacts' they will have happened upon that information in an off-the-record way.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

People overreact.

DF still remains my favourite gaming channel on youtube even if I don't particularly like speculation videos. I just don't watch them and that's fine. Plenty of content that suits my interests.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get my info regarding the Switch from here.

While I understand Nintendo has been very cagey about true Mariko specs with some devs (NDA's notwithstanding), the specs have been known for some time, so I don't doubt that while DF have conversations with 'industry contacts' they will have happened upon that information in an off-the-record way.
What specs. All the clocks came from DF / Thraktor

We have no idea what the chip is still. Only guesses.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Would a 16nm chip actually allow this revision to run at the speed that Nvidia originally thought the X1 could run at without thermal throttling? Can it actually go beyond the original X1? The Tegra X1 is a turkey chip.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well I appreciated the video!

but, really, the memory thing was new to me. that could point to some good things.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Would a 16nm chip actually allow this revision to run at the speed that Nvidia originally thought the X1 could run at without thermal throttling? Can it actually go beyond the original X1? The Tegra X1 is a turkey chip.

Depends entirely on what 16nm mode they (Nvidia) goes with. There are a few to choose between and I honestly think Nvidia would use the latest one.

Then we don't know if they will swap out the CPU from the A57 and A53 to something that is both faster and more energy efficient while clocking higher

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a modest upgrade like what was leaked, though asking for a xbox one level handheld isn't just possible right now

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
What specs. All the clocks came from DF / Thraktor

We have no idea what the chip is still. Only guesses.
I would be interested too. If the specs are in the wild, then yes, the video is pointless - and some of the virtiol is justified. If they aren't, then we are back to square one, which means the video reports us the absolute latest information we know about the chip in the upcoming Switch.

It's only that. And it's as valuable as any DF video out there.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I would be interested too. If the specs are in the wild, then yes, the video is pointless - and some of the virtiol is justified. If they aren't, then we are back to square one, which means the video reports us the absolute latest information we know about the chip in the upcoming Switch.

It's only that. And it's as valuable as any DF video out there.
DF video summarizes the best info out there. It's very informative . I don't get the vitriol at all. No one really knows the specs and i trust DFs guesses on this one as it's very reasonable.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think this is true because while the other systems have 8GB of RAM only like 5.5GB are useable for games. Switch has 3.25GB useable for games, the difference there is not that big.

Well, I'm not a techie, so I don't know the details.

But still, I would imagine that every single bit of extra RAM would be welcome. Specially because latelly the video capture feature is being disabled in many games to free RAM usage.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

DF speculated the 8GB Mariko supports might be for dev.kits with 6 GB for consumer use. A 50% bump to RAm which would put it right inline with other consoles and seems oddly coincidental to the 50% GPU uplift or 600 Gflop target z0m3le estimated

This is inline with other hints that the bump won't be that big but by golly 50% more ram,GPU and CPU power would be really nicd

DF noted current switch dev kits have 6GB .

Last edited: