• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So going by digital foundry Mariko is 16nm, where does that put the switches gflops when docked? 550-600?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which videos in particular? We just went through E3 which means I wasn't doing normal videos for a couple weeks and the videos during that week are of course focused on E3.

Did you watch the video I did on Judgement yesterday? Or Zelda last week?

I never artificially extend videos - they are always exactly as long as I need. However the 10 minute minimum is absolutely crucial to survival due to how YouTube works. Going for less means failure. Plain and simple.
Based on your research where does that put the gflops of switch when docked and undocked?

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
My body was ready for this video.

tumblr_psqv3kBqKj1xg3d7ro2_500.gif

Here we go.

Fine Chick. DAYUMN

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Capcom said the ram limitation on Switch means no RE engine games. also there is 3rd party N3DS exclusives, though few of them.

That's opposite of what they said. It was about they asked Nintendo and said it needed the Switch to have more RAM for the RE Engine. So Nintendo added more RAM. This was all prior to the system releasing.

Unless there was a more recent news with regards to this

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Youtubers make most of their revenue on watch time nowadays. Most channels stretch out their content to 10-15 minutes for it to be worthwhile.

The video didn't really tell us much tbh. Best thing about it was Thraktor getting a shout out but I think z0m3le should have gotten credit too considering how long he has been talking about 'Mariko' on here.
I mean I would understand for creators who do their own work to make it 10+ min ,but for a channel that suppose to be bringing analyze/news you want to get to the point asap .

Edit: DF guy said 10 min is still as important as ever.

Last edited:

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome video. The idea of a smaller Switch that doesn't need a fan sounds amazing! Nintendo needs to hurry up and announce this thing so I can see what it looks like. A switch mini with the dimensions of Vita would be a dream come true.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So going by digital foundry Mariko is 16nm, where does that put the switches gflops when docked? 550-600?
I think it will be 12nm, which is just 16nm but refined

but don't look at nodes for performance. Nintendo could use the node for battery improvements than performance.

as for GFLOPs, at 1.2GHz, it would be 614 GFLOPs

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be 12nm, which is just 16nm but refined

but don't look at nodes for performance. Nintendo could use the node for battery improvements than performance.

as for GFLOPs, at 1.2GHz, it would be 614 GFLOPs
Guess we should expect 600 gflops best case then for the new model and lower clocks for the mini but better battery

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I wish the rumor about Switch Pro was true. Of course depending on how much more powerful it would be, I would hope at least Xbox One. So that I can play a game like Xenoblade and hopefully not have it look ridiculously blurry on my 65 incher.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess we should expect 600 gflops best case then for the new model and lower clocks for the mini but better battery
the old boosted clock for handheld mode (384MHz) was half the docked clock (768MHz). the new boosted clock is 460MHz, which is about half the current maximum for the switch (921MHz). IMO, this might be a hint that the revision's dock will be 921MHz

I wish the rumor about Switch Pro was true. Of course depending on how much more powerful it would be, I would hope at least Xbox One. So that I can play a game like Xenoblade and hopefully not have it look ridiculously blurry on my 65 incher.
everything points to a pro. but don't take "pro" literally. it's not going to be like the PS4 Pro or XBOX

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the old boosted clock for handheld mode (384MHz) was half the docked clock (768MHz). the new boosted clock is 460MHz, which is about half the current maximum for the switch (921MHz). IMO, this might be a hint that the revision's dock will be 921MHz

everything points to a pro. but don't take "pro" literally. it's not going to be like the PS4 Pro or XBOX
I don't see how that hints the revision will have the same clock as the original

The max clock of the revision will prob be 1.2 - 1.3

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Which videos in particular? We just went through E3 which means I wasn't doing normal videos for a couple weeks and the videos during that week are of course focused on E3.

Did you watch the video I did on Judgement yesterday? Or Zelda last week?

I never artificially extend videos - they are always exactly as long as I need. However the 10 minute minimum is absolutely crucial to survival due to how YouTube works. Going for less means failure. Plain and simple.
Understandable, though it would be better if you at least get to the point of the video in the first few minutes, then after talk about other related points <3

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that hints the revision will have the same clock as the original

The max clock of the revision will prob be 1.2 - 1.3
it's more of a "don't take theoretical maximums as truth". we can look at the chips consoles are based on, but they never hit those listed peaks. not even the Shield TV can sustain the listed peaks without throttling at some point.

I'm just trying to play it safe. the CPU and ram/bandwidth is more interesting to me than the GPU anyway

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

People are hoping that the new handheld clock (boost or otherwise) is gonna be the same as the original docked clock (aka 768MHz). We know thanks to homebrew that this is possible even on the base Switch, so I really hope it would be doable on this revision.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's more of a "don't take theoretical maximums as truth". we can look at the chips consoles are based on, but they never hit those listed peaks. not even the Shield TV can sustain the listed peaks without throttling at some point.

I'm just trying to play it safe. the CPU and ram/bandwidth is more interesting to me than the GPU anyway
What did they say about the cpu? I missed that part

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are hoping that the new handheld clock (boost or otherwise) is gonna be the same as the original docked clock (aka 768MHz). We know thanks to homebrew that this is possible even on the base Switch, so I really hope it would be doable on this revision.
I don't see that happening now if it's 16nm, the max clock in handheld might be around 600 MHz now though from 460

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did they say about the cpu? I missed that part
they didn't say much of anything about it, but we know the switch temporarily clocks up to 1.78GHz, so there can be a substantial boost to performance

I'm not gonna rule it out, but I do find it weird a Shield device wouldn't clocking higher than a Switch revision

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that happening now if it's 16nm, the max clock in handheld might be around 600 MHz now though from 460

There's really not a big difference between 16nm finfet and 12nm apparently, and DF just seems to be speculating on 16nm.

I'm not gonna rule it out, but I do find it weird a Shield device wouldn't clocking higher than a Switch revision

Were the clock speeds for the new shield actually confirmed? I thought we saw new voltages but everything else was potentially a placeholder.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and digital foundry says the max clock of mariko is 1.276 even though the X2 and mariko are the same size
yea, it's old info. the X2 has the same gpu configuration too. like I said, I find it weird for a shield to be clocked the same as a Switch when they will have different power requirements. might just be a test sample

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
yea, it's old info. the X2 has the same gpu configuration too. like I said, I find it weird for a shield to be clocked the same as a Switch when they will have different power requirements. might just be a test sample

Gotcha, that makes sense.

So basically we can have a good idea of a range of performance but it's pretty large at the moment. Anything from no improvement to something like ~2x improvement on the GPU side.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
extra ram and efficiency gains. Not bad if they stabilize frames or give a solid boost for some devs.

If it has extra ram though wouldn't that mean nintendo is going back on splitting the SKU?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha, that makes sense.

So basically we can have a good idea of a range of performance but it's pretty large at the moment. Anything from no improvement to something like ~2x improvement on the GPU side.
The mini is the only one that won't see improvement imo

They will keep the speed low so they cut the cooling and save cost that way and use a smaller battery too

The mini will probably run at 460MHz max while the pro will go to 600 or higher and still have cooling

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
If it has extra ram though wouldn't that mean nintendo is going back on splitting the SKU?

I think it's a DS -> DSi situtuation...

Mostly the extra RAM will be used for the system OS (and applications like streaming).

In some instances, developers will be able to use it for added performance... but nothing that really requires a separate software line.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The mini is the only one that won't see improvement imo

They will keep the speed low so they cut the cooling and save cost that way and use a smaller battery too

The mini will probably run at 460MHz max while the pro will go to 600 or higher and still have cooling

I hope you're right but we honestly have no idea right now. For all we know the "enhanced" Switch comes with a better screen, more internal storage and better wireless but the actual processing specs are identical.

We can't assume anything when we're dealing with Nintendo. That's why I think it's better to talk about the pro as having a potential performance range, not any single expected target.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a DS -> DSi situtuation...

Mostly the extra RAM will be used for the system OS (and applications like streaming).

In some instances, developers will be able to use it for added performance... but nothing that really requires a separate software line.
we heard it was more akin to teh 3DS, which had a pretty big CPU improvement as well as ram amounts. if the ratio of devkit/retail is maintained, then there will still be more ram usable for games, and more bandwidth, potentially

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Based on your research where does that put the gflops of switch when docked and undocked?
I am not an expert but allow me to add a comment.
We simply don't know. I think it's safe to assume that Nintendo will have the same power budget as before since the console's form factor should not vary much (I mean it will not be much slimmer than it is currently) but how will this be split between performance one hand and efficiency improvement on the other remains to be seen.

Personally, I would love to see a 15-20 % increase in both CPU and GPU power. It would help smooth framerate and help the game with variable resolution to hit the ceiling more often. It would help a lot in Wolfenstein, and I assume, the Witcher 3.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I would understand for creators who do their own work to make it 10+ min ,but for a channel that suppose to be bringing analyze/news you want to get to the point asap .

DF (outside of John's Retro videos which he does for free out of passion) aren't creating videos online for fun. They're made to generate revenue.

I love Richard's Switch videos but this one really wasn't needed imo.

Keep an eye out for the new Switch to be revealed in the coming weeks as I've noticed a trend with DF making content about products that are about to become public knowledge (their Witcher 3 Switch port video is a recent example).

Richard certainly knows more than he lets on. He's been in the industry for 25+ years and has a lot of contacts.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I read the article version and appreciated the summary of the information out there. I was hopeful it might feature some inside scoops, but I guess Nintendo is keeping its secrets well.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
DF (outside of John's Retro videos which he does for free out of passion) aren't creating videos online for fun. They're made to generate revenue.
I understand that ,but if you are making revenue out of viewers you got to satisfy their needs.
10 min video for simple news can effect your viewer count in the long run.

At least getting to the point at the start of the video would be so much more convenient for those who aren't interested in the other stuff he talked about.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's too technical for me, but this video could be summarize as : "we can't know yet, let's see what the next Switch is"

That sounds like the summary of 85% of DF's videos.
I get that they need quantity to keep the views up for revenue. But i wish it would be easier to filter out their guesswork-videos.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

I love Richard's Switch videos but this one really wasn't needed imo.

Keep an eye out for the new Switch to be revealed in the coming weeks as I've noticed a trend with DF making content about products that are about to become public knowledge (their Witcher 3 Switch port video is a recent example).

Richard certainly knows more than he lets on. He's been in the industry for 25+ years and has a lot of contacts.
Witcher 3, Doom, SMO,Zelda and Wolfenstein trailer were on loop in that video

Seems.like a big hint to me

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's possible but it's also possible they know something

Look at their totally not hinting Witcher 3 video before it was announced and half of era thought it was impossible
it's not that I don't think they know anything, but that showing the "impossible" ports which are already running on basic switch isn't evidence of much

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Not a ton to take from this, other than as a summary of where we are at. Everything we know about the Mariko, if it is the chip for the revision, is very speculative/theory crafting right now.

I don't believe 460mhz is actually "new", just new for 3rd party developers. I think it was found that Zelda and Mario were already using that clock speed.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Understandable, though it would be better if you at least get to the point of the video in the first few minutes, then after talk about other related points <3
Do you have examples of times where this was an issue (in the videos I made, at least)?

What do you mean "creators who do their own work"?