• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was literally just about to buy the entire trilogy on Switch. Guess I'll grab 3 and wait on 1 and 2 for any potential patch.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
amazing work john! shame about doom 1 & 2. thankfully, i still have the xbla versions on my x1x.
oh and btw: buying the 360 version of the bfg edition (and installing it), should trigger the download of the original xbla versions, right?

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Full fat Doom 3 running 60 FPS on a portable console is madness.

Doom 1 and 2 being a bit butchered is also madness.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely agree about these 3 games. I upgraded to a Radeon 9700 Pro (I think it was anyway, my memory!) at the start of 2004 to play Far Cry and my mind was well and truly blown. Such visuals! Such open ended gameplay! Astonishing. And then the release for Doom 3 rolled around and I was so excited and when I finally got to buy it on release day...holy shit, it blew my mind again. The atmosphere! The lighting! The graphics! It couldn't be bettered. No game could improve on this, surely? And then Half Life 2 released and blew my mind yet again with the stuff it did visually and with physics. All three remain up there as some of my favourite ever games, truly a hell of a year for PC gaming.

Playing through Doom 3 on PS4 is wonderful, it looks and plays fantastically well, still has bags of atmosphere.

Yeah this period was golden age of PC gaming for us at home. We were huge into Unreal but 2003 disappointed us while 2004 was good. I couldn't wait for HL2, FC and Doom. I played the leaks of HL2 and Doom 3 to death. We bought a Geforce FX, threw up and returned it for a Radeon 9800 PRO (which is my fave card ever since it held out for so long in an era were graphics advanced rapidly) and FC was holy shit. Then Doom came out and was holy shit. And then HL2 bettered them both imo. This was kind of a bummer for Doom, I was more impressed by HL2 back in the day.

But upon replays I prefer Doom 3 to HL2. The latter has some very bad pacing issues with vehicle sections, and the AI and gunplay was even worse than I remembered. Doom 3 held up better imo.

Nov 6, 2017
It's sad the Doom 1 & 2 ports are not well done. I hope they will fix the bugs & problems, but I must admit I still had a lot of fun playing Doom 1 the last 2-3 days.

Dark1x Thanks for the great video and please consider doing a DF Retro of Doom 3.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty curious how Shield and Switch stack up for D1-3? That would make for a fun DF comparison given it's the same exact architecture.

Same for RE5 when that comes out.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that there's a Doom 3 DF Retro in our future. The older DF Retro with every console port of Doom is one of my favorite videos to watch still when I'm not doing anything else and want to relax.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Will probably pick up Doom 3 on Pro, that sounds great. Really wanted classic Doom on Switch but geez, passing for now.

wowami

Jun 1, 2018
at the risk of being destroyed by Era. Can they not speed the internal frame rate upto 840fps ( 840 lowest divisible by 70 and 60 ) 70 being original fps and 60 desired output.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, in terms of official ports perhaps. There are better versions, though

Heck, I'd put the PS3 ports above the XBLA ones (not that the XBLA ones are bad).

Was literally just about to buy the entire trilogy on Switch. Guess I'll grab 3 and wait on 1 and 2 for any potential patch.

They have issues, but I think they're still good on Switch if you want portable versions. I mean, the last official portable versions were on GBA, so even an imperfect port is an upgrade.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
We bought a Geforce FX, threw up and returned it for a Radeon 9800 PRO (which is my fave card ever since it held out for so long in an era were graphics advanced rapidly)

I bought a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra with 256MB of DDR3 back in 2005, I think. I remember buying it over a Geforce 6800 because of the lower price difference. The fan on the 5700 was loud, and that card crapped out on me within months. It was under warranty though, and I did later swap it for a Geforce 6800 XT, which was a lower clocked 6800. The 6XXX series was a huge improvement in general over the mangled FX series.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra with 256MB of DDR3 back in 2005, I think. I remember buying it over a Geforce 6800 over the price differences. The fan on the 5700 was loud, and that card crapped out on me within months. It was under warranty though, and I did later swap it for a Geforce 6800 XT, which was a lower clocked 6800. The 6XXX series was a huge improvement in general over the mangled FX series.

The FX line was shit, at least initially it was. It was quite shocking, our GF4 Ti4200 (OC'd) ran better. We refunded it almost straight away.

6 line was good. 7 was shit I think, it lacked HDR+AA I think, PS3 also suffered from this.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
When you finally get to make your Doom3 DF Retro then don't forget the Fully Possessed VR Mod (don't even know if you like it or can handle it, I personally think it's one of the best VR mods out there)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Yeah this period was golden age of PC gaming for us at home. We were huge into Unreal but 2003 disappointed us while 2004 was good. I couldn't wait for HL2, FC and Doom. I played the leaks of HL2 and Doom 3 to death. We bought a Geforce FX, threw up and returned it for a Radeon 9800 PRO (which is my fave card ever since it held out for so long in an era were graphics advanced rapidly) and FC was holy shit. Then Doom came out and was holy shit. And then HL2 bettered them both imo. This was kind of a bummer for Doom, I was more impressed by HL2 back in the day.

But upon replays I prefer Doom 3 to HL2. The latter has some very bad pacing issues with vehicle sections, and the AI and gunplay was even worse than I remembered. Doom 3 held up better imo.

The Radeon 9800 Pro was a beast for years, and I bailed on PC gaming right around the time I couldn't play new games well with it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Great work as always, John. I've only ever played the first few hours of Doom 3 when it released. I guess I should give BFG a shot and it sounds like the Pro/X ports are great. Do you think a 30FPS cap on switch would have been beneficial for Doom 3 on Switch?

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
When you finally get to make your Doom3 DF Retro then don't forget the Fully Possessed VR Mod (don't even know if you like it or can handle it, I personally think it's one of the best VR mods out there)

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS. Probably the best time I've had with my Rift so far. The Oculus Touch controller support is brilliant.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Doom 3 also still triggers that high-end feel for me. Which is interesting because Half-Life 2 and Far Cry certainly don't anymore. Carmack won.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Doom 3 also still triggers that high-end feel for me. Which is interesting because Half-Life 2 and Far Cry certainly don't anymore. Carmack won.

Far Cry aged the absolute worst of the three. Doom 3 will always have a nice looking feel because of the refined industrial look for which the engine was made for and its lightning and shadows. Half Life 2 has this realistic looking soft image, its amazing how well it looks especially updated with Episode 2 version of the engine.

Far Cry looks pretty ridiculous if you look at it now. That crude green and abrupt colours are to its detriment. And how impossibly amazing it looked back then

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The FX line was shit, at least initially it was. It was quite shocking, our GF4 Ti4200 (OC'd) ran better. We refunded it almost straight away.

6 line was good. 7 was shit I think, it lacked HDR+AA I think, PS3 also suffered from this.

The 7XXX series wasn't really shit. It was an iteration of the 6XXX series. A bit of an underwhelming release, but I don't remeber any criticisms over this line. I think the evolution of videocards at the time just made this series look outdated rather quickly. As did the the 6800 series, even though I did get many years out of my 6800 XT, it was a great card even though it was on the lower end of the 6800's. Ofcourse the 8xxx GeForce cards are legendary.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
The big 4 back in the day were:

HL2
Doom 3
Far Cry
FEAR

I'd be curious to do a side by side today. I haven't seen FEAR in ages.

Doom 3 was certainly the most impressive. I remember downloading the tech demo leak, I think it was in 2003. It ran like shit but visually it blew my mind.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017

HL2
Doom 3
Far Cry
FEAR

Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry all were released months apart in 2004. FEAR was released in 2005.

FEAR is still a looker too. It was also the first game I have ever played to have realized full-body-awareness. basically the first time I could see the main protagonists body when I look down (though, there were other FPS games that did this before FEAR). Also the game was touted for its AI.

And Quake 4 came out in 2005 as well. That is another id Tech 4 game. Quake 4 is actually a good FPS too. But it is one that nobody ever really talks about.

Also, Prey was released in 2006 (I made a mistake and said 2005, forgot what year this came out in) as well, and also used ID Tech 4. Prey was also another great looking PC FPS. It made good use of IDTech 4. Human Head/ 3D Realms Prey could make for an interesting DF Retro. The Prey series in general has such a weird development history.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

HL2
Doom 3
Far Cry
FEAR

Doom 3 was certainly the most impressive. I remember downloading the tech demo leak, I think it was in 2003. It ran like shit but visually it blew my mind.
FEAR still has the best Ai i have seen in a shooter. yeah it's heavily scripted but it plays out great.

Nov 1, 2017
If anybody is curious about the inner workings of the original Doom, might I recommend this book.

It goes into exhaustive detail about how the game works and how the magical combination of technology at the time led to the game we all know and love.

Oct 27, 2017
at the risk of being destroyed by Era. Can they not speed the internal frame rate upto 840fps ( 840 lowest divisible by 70 and 60 ) 70 being original fps and 60 desired output.

It was never 70fps. Doom was always capped at 35fps.

The article is saying that a solid 35fps doesn't sit as well on a 60hz display as it did the 70hz monitors that were commonplace in 1993.

Last edited:

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Doom 3 seems really good. I may go ahead and get it. I wish I had a 20% off coupon for psn

Nov 1, 2017

35fps was the game's hard-coded simulation tick rate. All of their AI/Physics was tied to this. In-game recordings are also tied to this tick rate, which allows you to play back replays on any machine regardless of framerate.

Most modern ports though will interpolate the visual framerate to whatever you want.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Got a refund on Doom and Doom 2 on Switch

eShop Support was very helpful, but also clear that this would be a one-time exception on their no refund policy, so proceed with caution

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If anybody is curious about the inner workings of the original Doom, might I recommend this book.

It goes into exhaustive detail about how the game works and how the magical combination of technology at the time led to the game we all know and love.
Yes, this book is incredible. Definitely a must read if you have an interest in how Doom works.

Oct 29, 2017
NL
Yeah, bought 1 and 2 for the Switch prior to this vid and noticed somethings were off. Hope they get patched. 3 on X is a good port indeed.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So DOOM 3 is an incredible port all around and DOOM and DOOM 2 got royally fucked. In the end, I only paid $20 for it all so I think I'm alright.