• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Seeing the "Doom123 ported to Switch/PS4/Xbox" news made my mind default to "The classic low-fi dooms are ported" and I was like aah whatever. But Doom 3, holy shite, I did not realize this! Perfect for Switch

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
You forgot to mention that Doom 3 also lacks any multiplayer component and that Doom II doesn't have the extra "No Rest for the Living" episode that Nerve created themselves (no, the inclusion of the Master Levels don't make up for that loss).

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
with doom 1 I like the option to play a 35FPS, but yeah I do think that they should consider adding more options,
but it's disappointing that they couldn't even get the music sounding spot on when you can find it everywhere,
(oh and an option for roland OR adlib soundtrack would be sweet)

I guess the homebrew doom 1 on a hacked switch can beat the official port...

Last edited:

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
And I just want to say that the original Doom 3 is still one good looking game. I ran Doom 3 on a Radeon 9700 pro as well back in the day, with an unlocked AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thoroughbred. The dynamic lighting for the game was truly spectacular for a 2004 release, also the character models and facial animations gave Half-Life 2 a run for its money. I really love id Tech 4.

Doom 3 DFRetro is a must.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Portable Doom 3 sounds soooo good. With almost no FPS games on Switch, and at that price, it could sell like crazy (note all three Dooms are already in the top 10 in the NA eShop.)

Great video, and I'd love to watch a Doom 3 deep dive!

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Doom 3 looks good even by today's standards. It must've been mind blowing back in the day.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the issues I think the audio one is the weirdest. Doom probably has one of the most iconic signature themes in gaming. It's instantly recognisable to anyone who's played Doom for a little bit, so it seems difficult to imagine how they got through development without noticing it was wrong.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
They seem to have the same conclusion as I did a couple of days ago concerning Doom 3. For people in their teens this might sound strange, but this is still kind of amazing to me. :)

Just bought doom 3. I had to, because that was the game that made me and many others buy a new pc to run it.
It might sound repetitive, but playing this on a handheld device, would have been magic for me 15 years ago.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hopfully Nerve gives DOOM 1-2 some more patch passes. The self inflicted scaling, framerate and audio issues all need to be addressed.

I hope a solid studio is handling 64...

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x FWIV, the music for Doom1/2 ports (at least in the Switch version) is streamed (FSB Vorbis), not sequenced like the original games, so the devs deliberately went with improper music playback.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Nice summary. I'll get Doom 3 on Xbox One X and Switch. I'll get 1&2 if they can fix 'em up.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Music from original Doom: Metallica 1985

Music from Doom ports: Metallica 2015 playing Metallica 1985

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Doom 3 looks good even by today's standards. It must've been mind blowing back in the day.

It was a one of a kind experience in that regard. You know how you dont really have a single game today thats the best looking in a clear manner. Doom 3 when it was unveiled at E3 2002 was the best. There was no opinion or maybe or ifs. It was simply something that didnt seem possible. It was Carmack's genius firing on all cylinders.

The game should have been remembered by history the same way Crysis was. The trifecta of 2004, Far Cry, Doom and Half Life really was a sight to behold. The absolute bleeding edge of technology from multiple angles was covered by these three titans

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Doom port dev: "it's fine, no one will notice"

John L: "i'm about to end this man's whole career"

Apr 9, 2019
I get the feeling that wanting to release all three games simultaniously on Dooms birthday (?) on all platforms put a strain on Nerve... Let's hope they get the time to fix it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For such a classic and old game, amazing how this port is borked. Should not have screwed it up Doom 1 & 2 this badly.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Man, this is sad, and on top of that an additionally poor showing if you see Panic Buttons' D3 coming out the same day, a far, far more demanding and impressive game being so much better ported.

I love Doom to death and I have tons of fun playing it on Switch, but damn, what an embarassing turnout.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch them once I get home, but good to know that at least Doom 3 is in good shape. Question: are the XBLA version better than these new ones?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
with doom 1 I like the option to play a 35FPS

giphy.gif

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll watch them once I get home, but good to know that at least Doom 3 is in good shape. Question: are the XBLA version better than these new ones?
According to DF themselves, the XBLA versions are the best ports out there still. The only issue is if you did not have them downloaded and it pushes these worse ones.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
It was a one of a kind experience in that regard. You know how you dont really have a single game today thats the best looking in a clear manner. Doom 3 when it was unveiled at E3 2002 was the best. There was no opinion or maybe or ifs. It was simply something that didnt seem possible. It was Carmack's genius firing on all cylinders.

The game should have been remembered by history the same way Crysis was. The trifecta of 2004, Far Cry, Doom and Half Life really was a sight to behold. The absolute bleeding edge of technology from multiple angles was covered by these three titans

Absolutely agree about these 3 games. I upgraded to a Radeon 9700 Pro (I think it was anyway, my memory!) at the start of 2004 to play Far Cry and my mind was well and truly blown. Such visuals! Such open ended gameplay! Astonishing. And then the release for Doom 3 rolled around and I was so excited and when I finally got to buy it on release day...holy shit, it blew my mind again. The atmosphere! The lighting! The graphics! It couldn't be bettered. No game could improve on this, surely? And then Half Life 2 released and blew my mind yet again with the stuff it did visually and with physics. All three remain up there as some of my favourite ever games, truly a hell of a year for PC gaming.

Playing through Doom 3 on PS4 is wonderful, it looks and plays fantastically well, still has bags of atmosphere.