• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I know you've been quoted a million times but boy oh boy. What a ridiculous post.

That only happens when the game is rendering two different simultaneous scenes. Aaand it's just the worst it drops to. Meaning that in those scenes are not always 900p.

The rest of the game is 4K. Smh.

According to the video the game averages 1440p in non-spilt screen scenarios on Series X and 900p on Series S (7:54). So not a locked 4k.

Anyway, interested to try this out on PC. I think I'm just going to lock it to 30 fps and crank the graphics as far as they'll go. It's such a slow-paced game so 30 fps shouldn't be too bad.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Miles Morales, despite being also a last Gen title, also showcases the graphical strength of the PS5. Considering its one of the first 60fps console games, with Raytracing. It certainly looks very impressive, and will be compared to the Medium. Especially since it has a variety of caveats.

Are you seriously comparing the work made by an AAA studio with a multi-million dollar budget and with Sony behind the development to an indie title with a budget of €7 million? No fucking shit Miles Morales looks better and performs better.

Only people that lack basic knowledge of game development, budgeting and scale are going to compared Miles Morales with The Medium.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously comparing the work made by an AAA studio with a multi-million dollar budget and with Sony behind the development to an indie title with a budget of €7 million? No fucking shit Miles Morales looks better and performs better.

Only people that lack basic knowledge of game development, budgeting and scale are going to compared Miles Morales with The Medium.
Let's compare Vampyr to The Last of Us Part II while we're at it.
Or Call of Cthulu to God of War
Or A Plague Tale to Uncharted 4

... how silly.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Let's compare Vampyr to The Last of Us Part II while we're at it.
Or Call of Cthulu to God of War
Or A Plague Tale to Uncharted 4

... how silly.

I was expecting more from a place like ERA where people are actually """informed""" and know the basic difference between small and blockbusters production but apparently i'm wrong.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
These talks about resolution are so 2015. Comparisons to different budgets, genres, art styles, disregarding the split screen aspect.. that's just too much. First post set the tone precisely.

It's disappointing to still see this in Era. Actually, it's been happening more than ever.

Back OT, It does look good. It's different, the split screen aspect may introduce some different scenarios, it opens up different gameplay and art styles possibilities, and this being in practice an indie game made for Gamepass I think it's shaping up to be pretty nice.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting more from a place like ERA where people are actually """informed""" and know the basic difference between small and blockbusters production but apparently i'm wrong.
Tbh A Plague Tale was a small budget production and yet had tech and polish that matched AAA productions...and even exceeded some of them especially in terms of polish. The reason they were able to do so was because the game itself is small in scope compared to an AAA game. What I'm saying is that it's not always as clear cut as high budget vs low budget, especially if the low budget game is already aiming lower in scope allowing it to be polished to a high degree. It's why 4A was able to match up in visuals with AAA with Metro 2033 and why CDPR was able to make Witcher 2 look as good with just $10 million.

Bloober Team on the other hand is not really known for their technical prowess, though Medium does look remarkable visually, which is especially something considering how average Blair Witch looked.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
ERA is tens of thousands of people. This place calls each other out on bullshit all the time, like you just did. It's not a hivemind of perfect reasonable liberal gamers. Grow up a bit and stop generalizing. Fanboy shit will always be here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

It's a shame that this smaller game, is the first exclusive for Series X and S. A lot is kind of riding on it to show the power of the console, because Microsoft kind of failed to do it.

Compared to the Playstation titles, this is a little bit underwhelming. Considering we have the amazing detail and art directions of Demon Souls running at 60 fps, 60fps Raytracing with Miles Morales, and just insane detail and pleasent graphics of astrobot(plus showing the capabilities of a new controller). A lot has been kind of riding on this title, since not even Halo will be exclusive.

Despite that though, it's a cool looking game. I might give it a try when Xcloud is a bit more mature, and I have non capped internet.

Props to the team for making a new way of visualizing the game. It's just unfortunate it has these caveats.
Context of my words is just as important as the context for developer schedules.

I am saying that the developers clearly did not have a capability to make a huge stunner, the caveats are disappointing, and MS has failed to show off the power of their new console. Because they have failed to have an exclusive game thus far, the Medium had to do the heavy lifting. Which obviously is not fair. It is simply the situation, that makes it whelming. The very title of this thread is, "a closer look at Microsofts first next gen exclusive". With Medium having that role, of the first next gen exclusive. It is quite whelming. Not bad by any means, but whelming.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Tbh A Plague Tale was a small budget production and yet had tech and polish that matched AAA productions...and even exceeded some of them especially in terms of polish. The reason they were able to do so was because the game itself is small in scope compared to an AAA game. What I'm saying is that it's not always as clear cut as high budget vs low budget, especially if the low budget game is already aiming lower in scope allowing it to be polished to a high degree. It's why 4A was able to match up in visuals with AAA with Metro 2033 and why CDPR was able to make Witcher 2 look as good with just $10 million.

Bloober Team on the other hand is not really known for their technical prowess, though Medium does look remarkable visually, which is especially something considering how average Blair Witch looked.

Asobo is still a much bigger and experienced studio compared to The Medium and even if they played with the same budget, the former still had more experience working as a support studio in AAA titles and they are more skilled technically, they even have their own in-house engine which was used for Plague.

Budget is always a problem for a lot of studios and The Medium despite having their biggest budget yet it's a good looking games with all the issues they had, you can make good graphics with low budget (see Hellblade) but you are going to cut corners left and right in some aspects.

$10 million back in the 2000s was a lot of money especially for Polish and Ukrainan developers, while now, both CDPR and 4A Games are working with multi-million budgets.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Context of my words is just as important as the context for developer schedules.

I am saying that the developers clearly did not have a capability to make a huge stunner, the caveats are disappointing, and MS has failed to show off the power of their new console. Because they have failed to have an exclusive game thus far, the Medium had to do the heavy lifting. Which obviously is not fair. It is simply the situation, that makes it whelming. The very title of this thread is, "a closer look at Microsofts first next gen exclusive". With Medium having that role, of the first next gen exclusive. It is quite whelming. Not bad by any means, but whelming.

The entire premise of your argument is flawed, since you assume (illogically) that only exclusives can show off the power of your console.

Nobody is pushing the Medium to do any 'heavy lifting'. Hitman 3 came out days ago and pushes visuals the previous gen xbox could never manage, at double the framerate.

I have no idea why this narrative is being pushed, but perhaps it's time to stop?

Gears 5 enhanced on Series X and it's Hivebusters DLC shows off the power delta between the One X and the Series X quite handily. Ditto for multiple third party games that have been released thus far.

Please let this budget game breathe.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like not even recent CPUs can handle this game at 60fps. If it can't even achieve it on a 3080 at 1080p, it's definitely a CPU bottleneck.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a shame that this smaller game, is the first exclusive for Series X and S. A lot is kind of riding on it to show the power of the console, because Microsoft kind of failed to do it.

Compared to the Playstation titles, this is a little bit underwhelming. Considering we have the amazing detail and art directions of Demon Souls running at 60 fps, 60fps Raytracing with Miles Morales, and just insane detail and pleasent graphics of astrobot(plus showing the capabilities of a new controller). A lot has been kind of riding on this title, since not even Halo will be exclusive.

Despite that though, it's a cool looking game. I might give it a try when Xcloud is a bit more mature, and I have non capped internet.

Props to the team for making a new way of visualizing the game. It's just unfortunate it has these caveats.
The Medium was never going to be a technical tour de force. At least anyone who has played a Bloober game before could tell you that. So there's no real shame to it.

You should check out Hivebusters which is already a real showcase for the XSX.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

MS doesn't need The Medium to do the heavy lifting and it's not supposed to do it

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It'd be cool if they built a game around this concept, but being able to seamlessly transition between the real world and the other world (similar to how you can toggle between the new and old graphics for Halo Anniversary) instead of split screen - and building action and nuzzles around that. You'd be able to build great scares and puzzles around such a system.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
If the game is fun, who cares if it has the resolution of a game from 2013. The unique mechanic is enough draw for me to try it AND it's on GamePass.

Side observation: There are very few posts about how this resolution is a let-down and the vast majority are those complaining that those posts will derail the thread, thereby actually derailing the thread themselves.

Just play the game and stop whining. The game poses a significant draw on power needing to render two separate scenes while catering to the relatively gimped XSS. All things considered, I'm looking forward to trying the game out.

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be cool if they built a game around this concept, but being able to seamlessly transition between the real world and the other world (similar to how you can toggle between the new and old graphics for Halo Anniversary) instead of split screen - and building action and nuzzles around that. You'd be able to build great scares and puzzles around such a system.
Oh what I wouldn't do for a new Soul Reaver which did exactly that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm not going to watch this video until I've completed the game. I just need to know one thing, is the wonky frame pacing frequent?

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is funny how you include the whole forum on your argument and still call out everyone misinformed....

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Oh please.

Criticising a game that drops to 900/600p at 30fps in 2021 is completely valid.
The only thing to criticize is whether their vision for the dual screen stuff was worth it in the end. What did it add, and what did the lower res take away? Resolution gets compromised often enough, sometimes due to the hardware/development tools and sometimes it's an artistic choice. Criticising the resolution here sort of reminds me of when people were going around complaining about The Order: 1886 because they chose to present the game in anamorphic widescreen.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
If the game is fun, who cares if it has the resolution of a game from 2013. The unique mechanic is enough draw for me to try it AND it's on GamePass.

Side observation: There are very few posts about how this resolution is a let-down and the vast majority are those complaining that those posts will derail the thread, thereby actually derailing the thread themselves.

Just play the game and stop whining. The game poses a significant draw on power needing to render two separate scenes while catering to the relatively gimped XSS. All things considered, I'm looking forward to trying the game out.
It must be hard for smaller AA dev houses to read the internet. This game is trying something unique at least.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i think the environments and lighting generally look pretty great, not really out of place with what we've seen on next gen so far

characters and animations on the other hand are where the budget shows

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh please.

Criticising a game that drops to 900/600p at 30fps in 2021 is completely valid.

900p / 648p at worst before temporal reconstruction. We all saw from the PS5 UE5 demo that 1440p reconstructed can look very close to native 4k. That's a 2.25x visual resolution increase. 900p reconstructed would be be around ~1350p visually, and 648p would be around 972p visually.

Gears 5 on the 1X / Xsx bottoms out at 1080p base before temporal reconstruction and everyone would agree that it's a very sharp and detailed game 100% of the time.

This isn't Rdr2 on PS4 pro and Xb1s type of situation here.

Last edited:

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Could careless about pixel counts and thinly veiled console war BS. The Medium looks like it has a cool premise and is giving me some Silent Hill vibes. It wasn't on my radar but now it is. Kudos to the dev team.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely some hiccups here and there but visually it is a really intriguing game. Got about halfway through the video and some of the sequences they showed looked really neat so I shut off the video not wanting to spoil it too much. Worth playing through the game just for the dual view mechanic + the atmosphere/music.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Interesting how they describe the frametime/frame pacing problem.

I have this EXACT problem in Hitman 3, constantly on my Series X when turning camera, but nobody else seems to have or notice that. Really weird.
Maybe I have to play around with deactivating VRR and 120fps or so.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Horror games have basically become the territory of indies on PC, so I'm excited this game exists and will be pushed heavily. I feel like the game pass model is a huge boon to one and done 10 sub hour experiences

Deleted member 84505

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2020
I'm allowed to be disappointed at resolution drops to 900p on X and 628p or whatever it was on S yeah? I understand it is rendering two levels at once, but then maybe they should have made more compromises to the scope of their game, or maybe gone with a less taxing art style? I barely want to play any games at 30fps these days, let alone with resolution drops that low.

This certainly isn't a dig at Xbox or anything. I just think the developer should have maybe re-thought some of their directions.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I'm allowed to be disappointed at resolution drops to 900p on X and 628p or whatever it was on S yeah? I understand it is rendering two levels at once, but then maybe they should have made more compromises to the scope of their game, or maybe gone with a less taxing art style? I barely want to play any games at 30fps these days, let alone with resolution drops that low.

This certainly isn't a dig at Xbox or anything. I just think the developer should have maybe re-thought some of their directions.

It'll probably be the same way when it eventually drops on PS5. Just look at the next-gen upgrade for Control UE. Was expecting more out of that tbh. Point is some games are doing things that are a bit taxing (at least this early in the game) even for next-gen hardware. Sucks but It is what it is.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

So you won't play any back compat games? Compromising on your vision to hit a specific target resolution is stupid. High resolution doesn't matter if the game isn't what they wanted to create.

Deleted member 84505

Banned
Nov 2, 2020
So you won't play any back compat games? Compromising on your vision to hit a specific target resolution is stupid. High resolution doesn't matter if the game isn't what they wanted to create.

No, i'm not playing any back compat games unless they've had next gen patches. That's not what I bought a next gen console for. It's the combination of lower resolutions along with 30fps together. Just not interested in playing games that way anymore.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MSGV was 900p on Xbox One and was considered a visual masterpiece. It's not sharp, but that doesn't mean it's not gorgeous.
Resolution is not a valid metric to consider the visual quality of a game, at least to me.
Just no... MGSV came out 5 and a half years ago. On any 4K tv of decent size and sitting distance 1080p looks bad, and should never be a thing on your flagship 2020 console. If it's because of rendering 2 scenes, maybe they should've left the RT out of that because 900p is straight up unacceptable.

I'll still give it a shot as it's on GamePass, and I will be playing on PC, but let's not pretend 900p is in anyway an acceptable resolution despite 2 scene rendering.

Deleted member 84505

Banned
Nov 2, 2020
It'll probably be the same way when it eventually drops on PS5. Just look at the next-gen upgrade for Control UE. Was expecting more out of that tbh. Point is some games are doing things that are a bit taxing (at least this early in the game) even for next-gen hardware. Sucks but It is what it is.

Oh yeah, i'm not saying it would be any better on PS5. Personally i'd rather see other compromises to at least be getting better frame rates. The combination of 30fps with quite low DRS really puts me off.

Yeah I was hoping for 1440p on Control with RT on, guess I won't be bothering with ray tracing.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Just no... MGSV came out 5 and a half years ago. On any 4K tv of decent size and sitting distance 1080p looks bad, and should never be a thing on your flagship 2020 console. If it's because of rendering 2 scenes, maybe they should've left the RT out of that because 900p is straight up unacceptable.

I'll still give it a shot as it's on GamePass, and I will be playing on PC, but let's not pretend 900p is in anyway an acceptable resolution despite 2 scene rendering.

Unless I'm missing something, John said the game averages 1440p. 900p on Series X is a worst case scenario. I sincerely doubt this will be very noticable, and probably only occurs in edge case scenarios, where tons of detail and special effects are happening across both scenes.

I'm looking forward to playing on Series X. Personaply, I think it's cool Bloober team is pushing visuals so hard. Dual dual-screen on a game with next-gen calibre visuals is impressive.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
If I put a photorealistic game in front of you at 720p and another game going for 4k with today's visuals you would be wowed by the 720p game every time while the 4k would be wholly unimpressive. Resolution is just a small piece of the puzzle. Maybe wait to see what the game has to offer.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm missing something, John said the game averages 1440p. 900p on Series X is a worst case scenario. I sincerely doubt this will be very noticable, and probably only occurs in edge case scenarios, where tons of detail and special effects are happening across both scenes.

I'm looking forward to playing on Series X. Personaply, I think it's cool Bloober team is pushing visuals so hard. Dual dual-screen on a game with next-gen calibre visuals is impressive.
In the video even at 1440p on my monitor it is very noticeable
If I put a photorealistic game in front of you at 720p and another game going for 4k with today's visuals you would be wowed by the 720p game every time while the 4k would be wholly unimpressive. Resolution is just a small piece of the puzzle. Maybe wait to see what the game has to offer.
But it's not?

Resolution is one of the things that I notice the most when it comes to games, 1080p just looks bad. Period. If you are playing on a 15" laptop screen, yeah sure it's fine, but on my 27" PC monitor(which I am actually fine with 1440p on) or my 4K 55" TV(which I was also fine with DeS's 1440p upscaled to 4K).

But 1080p on either of them look really bad. Like I said, I will still play it(actually have it preloaded), but I am very disappointed because I was hoping for something that could show off the 3080's capabilities. (right now every game that pushes the card only does so with RT, which is nice, but not yet quite the visual game changer), and saw this was next-gen only. Probably shouldn't have let that happen.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to watch this video until I've completed the game. I just need to know one thing, is the wonky frame pacing frequent?
It is frequent and the one point you should know from the video is that DF have contacted the developer about it (the frame pacing) and the developers have said they're looking into it for a future patch.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the video even at 1440p on my monitor it is very noticeable

But it's not?

Resolution is one of the things that I notice the most when it comes to games, 1080p just looks bad. Period. If you are playing on a 15" laptop screen, yeah sure it's fine, but on my 27" PC monitor(which I am actually fine with 1440p on) or my 4K 55" TV(which I was also fine with DeS's 1440p upscaled to 4K).

But 1080p on either of them look really bad. Like I said, I will still play it(actually have it preloaded), but I am very disappointed because I was hoping for something that could show off the 3080's capabilities. (right now every game that pushes the card only does so with RT, which is nice, but not yet quite the visual game changer), and saw this was next-gen only. Probably shouldn't have let that happen.
1080p looks bad to you?
Man I'm really glad I don't think anything that's not optimal best everything is trash.

onto the topic game looks really good and looks interesting to play. Hopefully they can fix the frame pacing issues.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is it game pass on PC too?

Torn between XSX and 65" OLED, or 3080 and simple LCD monitor (although ultrawide)