• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not really surprised. The fact that the textures take a second to pop in every time you switch between 3D items in the menu alone, suggests a lack of optimization.

I like Bloober, and that they do neat new things with their games, but I would like to see them button down the technical side of things more.
To be fair to the game its loading a level while the current one youre in is still loaded, and the environments themselves are pretty good. The concept behind the game needs a lot of optimization bloober probably couldnt do if you wanted it to run like a normal game.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's a beautiful game, but from what I saw this split screen stuff don't bring much to the table and it's a big hit in perf/res.

I see this and I think of Soul Reaver and Raziel's Realm Shift. With today's hardware it would be insane.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
The requirements to run this game on pc with RT at f 30fps... wth is going on here lol

The-Medium-PC-requirements.jpg

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Damn, the environments in this game are great. Also been a while since I played anything with the fixed cinematic angles like this, looks really cool. I'm not normally into horror games but thanks to game pass I'll at least be trying this.

I feel for the developers. It's a smaller indie (?) studio and now they are in the spotlight for delivering the "first Xbox series X console exclusive"... Talking about unrealistic expectations.

I don't know why MS binds games like this, Scorn and Bright Memory so heavily to their new console.

It is a hell of a lot of pressure for sure. This is not a full AAA console seller. IIRC the budget was around 8 million including the marketing. No doubt going to be put up against games with 5-10x the budget because "first series x exclusive."

Oct 29, 2017
So this will probably be the lowest resolution we ever see on the Xbox consoles throughout this generation?

Doubt we'll see another game do something as demanding as this one; it's basically running two different games at the same time here!

Great to see a developer do something as unique and ambitious as this; despite the PR backlash they're going to receive from graphics whores. This is the kind of stuff I wanted to see on the DS/3DS/Wii U back in the day, so it's great to see someone at least try to carry the torch here! :D

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Oh please.

Criticising a game that drops to 900/600p at 30fps in 2021 is completely valid.
Sure as long as there's context. The dual display is the culprit here, it's not really concerning considering it only hits those levels in those scenes.

So this will probably be the lowest resolution we ever see on the Xbox consoles throughout this generation?

Doubt we'll see another game do something as demanding as this one; it's basically running two different games at the same time here!
Probably not, I don't see many other studios making this decision. I still think it's kind of neat though.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
It's a shame that this smaller game, is the first exclusive for Series X and S. A lot is kind of riding on it to show the power of the console, because Microsoft kind of failed to do it.

Compared to the Playstation titles, this is a little bit underwhelming. Considering we have the amazing detail and art directions of Demon Souls running at 60 fps, 60fps Raytracing with Miles Morales, and just insane detail and pleasent graphics of astrobot(plus showing the capabilities of a new controller). A lot has been kind of riding on this title, since not even Halo will be exclusive.

Despite that though, it's a cool looking game. I might give it a try when Xcloud is a bit more mature, and I have non capped internet.

Props to the team for making a new way of visualizing the game. It's just unfortunate it has these caveats.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure why you would not expect it. It is literally rendering the game 2 times when it does drop down to that resolution. That would happen to any "next gen" game on Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X. If any other next gen game like Demon Souls for example had a dual view port view, it would also probably drop its resolution to 1080p or lower.

Many thanks for follow up posts like these.

Oct 28, 2017
I appriciate the ambition but I have yet to see examples where the dual screen mechanic is used in clever and inventive ways.It comes at a notable cost so I wonder if it was even worth it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
It's a shame that this smaller game, is the first exclusive for Series X and S. A lot is kind of riding on it to show the power of the console, because Microsoft kind of failed to do it.

Compared to the Playstation titles, this is a little bit underwhelming. Considering we have the amazing detail and art directions of Demon Souls running at 60 fps, 60fps Raytracing with Miles Morales, and just insane detail and pleasent graphics of astrobot(plus showing the capabilities of a new controller). A lot has been kind of riding on this title, since not even Halo will be exclusive.

Despite that though, it's a cool looking game. I might give it a try when Xcloud is a bit more mature, and I have non capped internet.

Props to the team for making a new way of visualizing the game. It's just unfortunate it has these caveats.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think on a whole the most impressive next gen game so far has been Demon's Souls. Shame that the first Xbox next gen exclusive release isn't a AAA XGS game but at the same time I'm kind of glad that a smaller studio is getting the opportunity to be in the spot light. In the grand scheme of things I don't really think this matters much.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does DF's footage of the game look freaking fantastic? Looks better than any of the other footage I've seen.

Can't wait to play this:

50880528933_e848cb870c_o.png

50881248061_96e9f7f83b_o.png

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
The hardware is literally having to run essentially two games at once, likely with ray tracing in some of those instances. This game, no matter if it's AA, is intensive as hell from the looks of it. However, at least from the DF guys, The Medium is very much worth experiencing.

That said, it does look like Bloober needs to tighten up their technical side of things. Hopefully, we'll see some optimization for both the consoles and PC soon.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The game looks great, I haven't noticed the resolution drops when I saw videos, I wonder how noticeable it'll be during gameplay but it does seem upscaling has come a long way.

Quick question, this game doesn't seem to have any combat or even game overs, am I right? If so, that'd be a brave choice for sure! Looking forward to trying it on my Series X when I get it!

Oct 27, 2017
I appriciate the ambition but I have yet to see examples where the dual screen mechanic is used in clever and inventive ways.It comes at a notable cost so I wonder if it was even worth it.
A game like this is not trying to be a tech demo that pushes every boundary, so if the developers choose to make that compromise then I'm okay with it. It's not ideal but I look forward to trying it out and seeing if I agree with how they divided GPU resources.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Miles Morales isn't exclusive in that same sense either so you probably shouldn't use it there in your examples.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I feel for the developers. It's a smaller indie (?) studio and now they are in the spotlight for delivering the "first Xbox series X console exclusive"... Talking about unrealistic expectations.

I don't know why MS binds games like this, Scorn and Bright Memory so heavily to their new console.

It fills a gap in their Game Pass release schedule for a comparatively low cost while they wait on their internal studios to start doing the heavy lifting. For Bloober themselves it means that most (if not all) of their development budget is covered and the game gets much wider attention and coverage than it otherwise would have. Seems like a win-win all around really.

Jun 17, 2018
Enlisted is also another game that's only available on Series consoles or PC. Not had time to watch the video yet but will get to it later. Very interested to see how it looks at 900p across two viewpoints.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The environments look fantastic, I'm really impressed with the visuals from such a small studio.

The 900p comments aren't really helpful when made out of context, especially considering in the same video the framerate outside of dual view scenes was confirmed to settle around the 1440p range.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
When the resolution drops to 900P is the total resolution, or on both perspectives (900 P + 900P)?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I was expecting something a bit more polished. Splitscreen dynamic taking a toll on performance is understandable, but hitting 900p lows on X is making me want to wait and see if Dictator will cover it on PC to see how it performs there. It's GP on either, so no loss there, but I'll wait and see on the PC ver. before downloading on X.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
MSGV was 900p on Xbox One and was considered a visual masterpiece. It's not sharp, but that doesn't mean it's not gorgeous.
Resolution is not a valid metric to consider the visual quality of a game, at least to me.

MGS V was also a very locked 60 FPS. The increase in temporal resolution there made up for the low pixel count.

RE: Medium

I have the game pre loaded via game pass, but reading comments that developers are promising patches to fix issues like frame pacing really makes me want to wait and not play it at launch.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Miles Morales isn't exclusive in that same sense either so you probably shouldn't use it there in your examples.
Miles Morales, despite being also a last Gen title, also showcases the graphical strength of the PS5. Considering its one of the first 60fps console games, with Raytracing. It certainly looks very impressive, and will be compared to the Medium. Especially since it has a variety of caveats.

But really we are just getting off topic here.

I wish the developers all of the best though. But really, the Medium doesn't really feel like a next step evolution in technology. That's completely not their fault because they are a smaller studio. But I remember this is the one game that I was excited for from the Xbox showcase. It's a shame that it just seems, merely, whelming.

That running sequence though that really screams "Next Gen" though. So it's a mixed bag.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
It drops down to 900p only occasionally and when it's literally rendering what is essentially two games simultaneously. It also explains why the PC spec requirements are higher than people were expecting.

That's the game mechanic the entire game is built around. So you're saying they shouldn't have made the game at all? Or that they should have made it a PC exclusive because it very occasionally drops to 900p in the most demanding scenes on console?

Running 2 games at the same time would be rendering 2x the full screen resolution, but that's not exactly the case here since the 2 viewports share the same screen estate.
So in this case the rendered number of pixels would be the same regardless if it's 1 or 2 scenes.
(for example 2x4k vs 4K split in 2 scenes).

With that being said, you still have to load and manage almost double the number of assets, plus effects and other stuff.

I'm super excited to give it a try tomorrow as i've enjoyed all the previous Bloober Team games.

Jun 17, 2018

You're kind of comparing apples to oranges though since this game is rendering two separate images whilst the other games you mention are rendering a single image.

I'm not sure what the budget was behind this game but I doubt it would have been given as much budget as both Spidey and Demons Souls.

I don't think too much has been riding on this, it looks like a pretty niche game that will likely gain a small following.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Am I really reading someone comparing demon souls and miles morales to the medium

like, how tone deaf, do people not understand the differences in resource and budget 😂

some of y'all are so harsh and I feel for the people who have to compete with these massive teams with unobtainable resources for 90% of the industry

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Miles Morales, despite being also a last Gen title, also showcases the graphical strength of the PS5. Considering its one of the first 60fps console games, with Raytracing. It certainly looks very impressive, and will be compared to the Medium.

I really don't think many people will be spending too much time comparing Bloober Team's The Medium with giant AAA PlayStation Studios' Spider-man: Miles Morales.

At least I'd hope not.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway

Why are you even making these meaningless comparisons? It's not a competition. Just play the game for what it is. There's nothing riding on this, a dev has made a new game. The race for what is next gen or not for fanboys has to be the most idiotic and subjective competition ever.

You're shoehorning in console warring where it's not needed.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think on a whole the most impressive next gen game so far has been Demon's Souls. Shame that the first Xbox next gen exclusive release isn't a AAA XGS game but at the same time I'm kind of glad that a smaller studio is getting the opportunity to be in the spot light. In the grand scheme of things I don't really think this matters much.

The real shame are the comparisons here.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Why are you even making these meaningless comparisons? It's not a competition. Just play the game for what it is. There's nothing riding on this, a dev has made a new game. The race for what is next gen or not for fanboys has to be the most idiotic and subjective competition ever.

You're shoehorning in console warring where it's not needed.
QFT

Series XS will have a steady stream of interesting games, some AAA some not, that is the whole idea behind GP. I am quite happy with how this game turned out.

I don't usually play the Michael Bay AAA nonsense usually anyways.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Expecting mindblowing technical performance from a Bloober title is like expecting a five star meal at Wendy's. All things considered, this is a pretty damn good showing compared to their past titles and it seems like the dual-screen sequences work well despite the resolution hit.

People should reign in their expectations.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Oh please.

Criticising a game that drops to 900/600p at 30fps in 2021 is completely valid.

Resolution isn't the only measure of image quality. You should read Dictator's posts on the topic on this very thread, but hey, who's got time for that when you've gotta shitpost, right?

Claiming that this game, even at 900p, looks like a 2013 game, constitutes pretty outrageous hyperbole, and is what causes people to assume you're arguing in bad faith.

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
This is indeed the Series X's first exclusively next-gen showcase, right? Hard to believe, but very cool to finally see one in action.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
1080p rtx 2060 performance.

www.youtube.com

The Medium RTX ON With RTX 2060 - Part 1: Single Reality

Featuring STRONG Silent Hill vibes The Medium breaks reality in the latest horror title from Bloober Studios and they deliver a visual feast and compelling s...

DLSS putting in overtime there, such a brilliant feature. Those RT Ultra reflections look brilliant, although I'm not sure I will want to take the performance hit. I like that RT is disabled in dual reality mode to keep up performance when using the "on" setting, that seems like a smart optimisation and seems inline with the Series X version.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Do you have a link?
I´m wondering if I should play tomorrow evening or wait for the patch.
It was mentioned in the DF video towards the end of the section talking about performance. John said he'd contacted the developers about the frame pacing issue and that they were going to look into fixing it with a patch.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
When the resolution drops to 900P is the total resolution, or on both perspectives (900 P + 900P)?
900p+900p is 1800p. It doesn't work like this.
You have a 16:9 frame of some resolution.
By default it's 3840x2160 on XSX (what is called "4K" these days).
This frame can then be split by some percentage between two different cameras rendering two different viewports*.
It means that you still have a 2160p frame which is rendering 1920x2160 for one viewport and 1920x2160 for the other.
When the res go down it goes down across the whole frame.
So if the res is being dropped down to "900p" (which is 1600x900 actual resolution) you're getting two viewports rendered at 800x900 each.

(* Or "worlds". I'm still puzzled by why its being brought up since the game's unveil as being different to what, for example, Hitman games were doing back on PS2/Xbox/PS360 when they've had a similar split view. Fahrenheit on PS2 is another such example. Same assets reuse, sure, but this is RAM requirements, not rendering. So fundamentally this game isn't doing any wonders when rendering two "worlds" and it certainly can be done on any previous gen h/w. )

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
30fps with frame-pacing issues? That game must be very demanding considering the lower resolutions.
I have never played a game by the developer that ran well on console, the trailers always looked much better.

Blair Witch for example gave me a headache.

Speaking of Bloober Team: I don't think they ever delivered ray tracing for the Series X version of The Observer, a feature that was advertised before the release.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This looks really good

After playing the Res Evil Village demo i've got hyped to play some horror games i've not played yet (Alien Isolation and Res 2 Remake) and this

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Miles Morales, despite being also a last Gen title, also showcases the graphical strength of the PS5. Considering its one of the first 60fps console games, with Raytracing. It certainly looks very impressive, and will be compared to the Medium. Especially since it has a variety of caveats.

But really we are just getting off topic here.

I wish the developers all of the best though. But really, the Medium doesn't really feel like a next step evolution in technology. That's completely not their fault because they are a smaller studio. But I remember this is the one game that I was excited for from the Xbox showcase. It's a shame that it just seems, merely, whelming.

That running sequence though that really screams "Next Gen" though. So it's a mixed bag.
I dont think many would have expected this game to go up against one of sonys biggest titles

And I would argue it does feel like a evolution in tech as it is essentially rendering two games at once In points , and also has some rt

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
"Rough around the edges" sounds about right judging by the previews.

The Medium has some really low bounds to the DRS.