• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Can you play the game without using the split screen mode?
It looks really annoying to play and yeah 900 or 600p at 30 fps is a big yikes.

No, it's part of the narrative and some of the puzzles and stuff. It's not like an optional thing, you will just naturally go into that state as part of the gameplay loop at certain points.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
This all sounds very promising. I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet. I presume the PC version doesn't offer any other RT features than reflections.

I hope people understand that the split screen views are more demanding than either stereoscopic 3D or split screen multiplayer, due to each view having its own geometry and textures.

Of course not. The gameplay is designed around being able to see whats going on in both worlds at the same time in those sections.
PC does RTAO, RT reflections forced at all times unlike the selective nature of XSX. As well as some RT shadows and RT translucency effects (glass refraction) in some locations.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
The chase sequence looked really impressive. Definitely a good showcase for the SSD.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I normally don't play horror titles but this one looks really really interesting. Very much looking forward to how the PC version shapes up.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
PC does RTAO, RT reflections forced at all times unlike the selective nature of XSX. As well as some RT shadows and RT translucency effects (glass refraction) in some locations.
Nice!

Does it also support DRS? I know my 2080 Ti is up to the task, but I'm not so sure about my older CPU. So I'm not sure yet whether I'll be playing on PC or Series X yet.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was concerned by the visual quality based on that IGN video the other day, but this game looks really good. I cannot wait to play it tomorrow. I have been looking forward to this the moment it was announced.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Pretty solid for a smaller studio, not really too into horror games but Gamepass makes this a try for sure.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I am not sure why you would not expect it. It is literally rendering the game 2 times when it does drop down to that resolution. That would happen to any "next gen" game on Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X. If any other next gen game like Demon Souls for example had a dual view port view, it would also probably drop its resolution to 1080p or lower.

It's also a small studio making this game, that has a technically ambitious feature. While 900p and 600p isn't ideal, John made it sound like those were absolute worst case numbers and didn't really detract from the experience.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Great video, Digital Foundry! Thanks for putting this all together and sharing. I'm excited to play this.

Also, report and ignore the trolls.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You cannot be serious.

900p is blurry on a 1080p tv never mind the 4K rhetoric Microsoft is pushing for its console
MSGV was 900p on Xbox One and was considered a visual masterpiece. It's not sharp, but that doesn't mean it's not gorgeous.
Resolution is not a valid metric to consider the visual quality of a game, at least to me.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
I don't know. Luckily Game Pass will let me find out for free!

The game design gives heavy "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should" vibes.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Looks great. But I doubt this isn't possible on last gen consoles (w/o RT ofc)

Engin

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Thread Derail
hey guys, couldn't find any thread on skyrim on ps5. i have a question for someone who knows technical things. i thought the ps5 has back compat modes for ps4 and ps4pro, each runs at the same mhz as the console on cpu/gpu, but games are running better because of the architectural advances. with skyrim they say that the ps5 has all 10 tflops to calculate. how now?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
hey guys, couldn't find any thread on skyrim on ps5. i have a question for someone who knows technical things. i thought the ps5 has back compat modes for ps4 and ps4pro, each runs at the same mhz as the console on cpu/gpu, but games are running better because of the architectural advances. with skyrim they say that the ps5 has all 10 tflops to calculate. how now?
Uhh why not make a thread?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

So you... figured you'd just post this in a thread about a different game?

plow

Oct 28, 2017

www.resetera.com

DF: Skyrim at 60FPS on PlayStation 5 Back Compat vs Xbox Series X, PS4 Pro and PS4!

is there mini map mod? couldn't get really into it but it would help things.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
The game design gives heavy "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should" vibes.

This is my point exactly.

Amazing textures, particle effects, lighting, shadows, ray tracing......all blurred into nothingness because the developers couldn't wait to show us their tech.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Holy mother of derails

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

Amazing textures, particle effects, lighting, shadows, ray tracing......all blurred into nothingness because the developers couldn't wait to show us their tech.
I get what you're saying here but I wouldn't fault the devs for ambition. Whatever makes them excited to make the game.

Jul 26, 2018
🤔

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
This thread reminds me of all the concern we had last year leading up to the Series S reveal. "What if a developer wants to make a full path traced 1080p-or-less game on Series X?" Well we have our answer - it would be shit on regardless of the S existing or what the game actually accomplished lol.

Anyways, it's really cool that a smaller developer is pushing cool tech like this, even if there had to be tradeoffs in IQ. You won't see this kind of experimentation from AAA developers.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Looks awesome, will get it as soon as I get a new Laptop, hopefully this game marks the return of fixed camera Horror to the mainstream

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Animations let the game down so much. Looks super stiff and it'll really negatively effect the narrative and characters.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
That environment graphics are truly stunning. There are not many games out there that look better. And the full screen switching between world A and world b without any loadings is remarkable as well. Really, really great stuff.

That said, characters look a bit lifeless and that stiff animations just underline, that the game is AA and not a high-end budget game.

Game is already pre-loaded and I can't wait to try it out. Looks like Bloobers best game yet.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I am looking forward to seeing if the splot screen mode actually provides anything unique. That is a big (but understandable) performance hit.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really dived into the hard tech stuff yet but, from a quick flick through the video it looks like it has a wonderful art style. And I'm vibing hard with the classic fixed camera angles.

lEP1Ret.jpg

U3Ghn7l.png

U7OqVq5.png

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I feel for the developers. It's a smaller indie (?) studio and now they are in the spotlight for delivering the "first Xbox series X console exclusive"... Talking about unrealistic expectations.

I don't know why MS binds games like this, Scorn and Bright Memory so heavily to their new console.
Bloober had over 120 employees and is twice as big as Double Fine. They're in that weird space where "indie" stops really being descriptive of them, imo.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Animation and the character model are quite rough, but the environments actually look really good!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I honestly doubt it.

Between the fast switching between two completely different sets of assets, and rendering two different sets of assets in split screen view, I can't imagine this game on One S or PS4. I doubt either would have the RAM (although the One X would have enough ram, obviously given that it has more than the Series S) the rendering horsepower, or the IO throughput.

You're talking as if the worst-case scenarios are the entire game, rather than occasional moments. Even then, real time lighting, RT reflections etc are all still plenty visible at 900p. Only really textures and asset details take a hit.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's an interesting game from a tech perspective. Rendering the two scenes at the same time is pretty cool. Will have to see if the cost of that will be worth it in the end.

Shame about the stiff animations, faces and framepacing, it does bring the presentation down a bit. Seems like it will be a decent 7/10 game though.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017

Something similar was already done in Dishonoured 2, there is a section where two distinct worlds (past and present) are rendered simultaneously. Whilst you can jump between them at will, you also have a split viewport view of both worlds at the same time, similar to the tech used in The Medium:
u9vngn8qjkay3cwr1ysf.jpg

The game ran at 30fps at 1440p (on PS4 Pro) which was quite impressive at the time.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the video, you shouldn't render a game twice if the visual clarity is so blurred you get image quality from 2013.
If you watched the video you'd know he said those resolutions were rare worst case scenarios, not the consistent resolutions it runs at. You're not making arguments in good faith.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Not looking promising for PC either eek

Not really surprised. The fact that the textures take a second to pop in every time you switch between 3D items in the menu alone, suggests a lack of optimization.

I like Bloober, and that they do neat new things with their games, but I would like to see them button down the technical side of things more.