• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

The Medium is available on both Xbox Series X and Series S as well as PC, meaning that this is the first title we've played that cannot run on prior generation Xbox One hardware - and that makes sense, factoring in the unique presentation. Resolution-wise, The Medium uses dynamic resolution scaling with a wider variation than is typical, most likely due to the dual viewport display used throughout the game. While exploring the world in full-screen, resolution tops out at native 4K on Series X and 1080p on Series S: during these segments, DRS scaling averages out to roughly 1440p on X and 900p on Series S. However, when exploring in split-screen mode, the minimum resolution drops further. On Series X, the lowest case is around 900p while the Series S equivalent is 648p. Remember, the game is literally rendering two independent scenes at the same time, explaining the drops in pixel count.

In terms of the ray tracing support, The Medium features RT reflections - but only in certain locations and only on Xbox Series X and PC - with Series S dropping back to more conventional screen-space reflections. They do the job, but simply cannot reproduce detail that isn't present in the current camera view, so detail can to vanish in some scenarios. There are other differences between Xboxes as well: shadows, for instance, are rendered at a lower resolution on Series S. All shadows in The Medium are traditional rasterised shadows, it should be noted, rather than ray traced shadows - with the exception of shadows visible within a ray traced reflection. That said, the reliance on fixed camera angles helps avoid artefacts often associated with traditional shadow maps and the result is superb. Shadows dance around as your flashlight passes across the scenery, while Unreal Engine 4 contact shadows are also used to improve close proximity detail.

And experience it, you should! While there's no doubt that The Medium is a little rough around the edges in terms of polish and its overall production values, the fact is that it's a beautiful and memorable horror adventure, and I'd rank it as the best title to emerge from Bloober thus far. It's also available on day one via Game Pass, so I'd hope to see an impressive game get a lot of extra exposure as a consequence. I do think it's worth stressing that despite being an Xbox platform exclusive for now, The Medium is not a triple-A juggernaut in the traditional sense, but it is different, it is unique, and I highly recommend checking it out.

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
900p or 600p.

I did not expect this

Edit:

I wasn't trying to post a trashy post. I was just surprised. However, it makes sense with the Dual Rendering as Alex mentioned.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
900p or 600p.

I did not expect this.
I am not sure why you would not expect it. It is literally rendering the game 2 times when it does drop down to that resolution. That would happen to any "next gen" game on Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X. If any other next gen game like Demon Souls for example had a dual view port view, it would also probably drop its resolution to 1080p or lower.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
As said in the other thread, medium is not the first next gen only title on Xbox. That would be enlisted (afaik)

Edit: skipped a bit through the video, there are some great scenes in their. Looking forward to trying it.

The texture streaming issue, is this because the SSD is too slow?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like dynamic res games to be presented as upper/lower bounds and some indication of what the most common actual res in most situations is.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
This video is the first time where this game graphically has really impressed me. Some of the scenes look really damn good.

Rough around the edges is a trademark of Bloober Team at this point.

It's on Gamepass so I'll give it a try.

Great video as always from DF.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I feel for the developers. It's a smaller indie (?) studio and now they are in the spotlight for delivering the "first Xbox series X console exclusive"... Talking about unrealistic expectations.

I don't know why MS binds games like this, Scorn and Bright Memory so heavily to their new console.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Even the single viewport does have some resolution drops and there is a fair bit of motion blur associated with moving the camera due to the (locked) 30 fps on XSX.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Frame pacing issues on XSX, like every Bloober game on consoles! Was hoping they'd have turned things around for this release. At least it won't be an issue on PC.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
is this the first instance that we are seeing of a 30fps only next gen game?

just to be clear this isnt against Bloober or the game because i know there's the dual view mechanic, just asking.

EDIT: i guess there's watch dogs legion, but specifically next gen only games i cant think of any really.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I don't know why MS binds games like this, Scorn and Bright Memory so heavily to their new console.

Everyone does that.

Sony is binding Stray, KENA and several other indie games to their consoles by showing them at the conferences.

This has been a thing for years, both Sony and MS by having indies on their shows are putting to much eyes on these games and expectations are going to be really high, did we all forget about NMS marketing?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure why you would not expect it. It is literally rendering the game 2 times when it does drop down to that resolution. That would happen to any "next gen" game on Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X. If any other next gen game like Demon Souls for example had a dual view port view, it would also probably drop its resolution to 1080p or lower.

Oh, I know. I am not negating that. I am still going to play it, I just wasn't thinking of such a low resolution being possible with the next gen consoles.

However, your explanation makes sense.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
just started watching. looking good.
thanks for posting this.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Oh, I know. I am not negating that. I am still going to play it, I just wasn't thinking of such a low resolution being possible with the next gen consoles.

Like I say with PC GPUs - no bit of graphics rendering hardware ensures some sort of resolution. A next gen console can run a game at 480p 30 fps if it uses enough effects, or is path traced or something. I would never expect a game to run at any arbitrary resolution - you first have to know the context of what it is doing graphically to appreciate what resolution it may run at.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Wasn't Call of the Sea the first "next gen" game.

🤔

The only other game on Xbox that's been exclusive to Xbox Series X/S and not on Xbox One was Bright Memory, but from my understanding, that game is largely seen as a tech demo for the upcoming expanded release so a lot of people don't count it.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I feel for the developers. It's a smaller indie (?) studio and now they are in the spotlight for delivering the "first Xbox series X console exclusive"... Talking about unrealistic expectations.

What do you feel for them for? Did I miss where they panned the game as bad?

If its just because the game is gonna have a lot of magnifying glasses over it due to being an early next gen only title, idk by all accounts so far they should be proud of themselves.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Dirt 5 also ran that low in 120fps mode

I mean, I think people will need to get used to those if they want to play bigger games at 120fps

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Frame pacing issues on XSX, like every Bloober game on consoles! Was hoping they'd have turned things around for this release. At least it won't be an issue on PC.

Bloober and framepacing go hand in hand just like FromSoft and framepacing.

Dropping down to 900p on the X isn't great. Still, they say it's Bloober's best game, so that's some great praise. They still haven't topped Layers of Fear for me, so excited to try this and see if it beats it.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
First next gen only title - 900p.

That's.....not what I expected. Regardless of the engine this is a very poor showing.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Like I say with PC GPUs - no bit of graphics rendering hardware ensures some sort of resolution. A next gen console can run a game at 480p 30 fps if it uses enough effects, or is path traced or something. I would never expect a game to run at any arbitrary resolution - you first have to know the context of what it is doing graphically to appreciate what resolution it may run at.

I see! Thanks for the info!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
is this the first instance that we are seeing of a 30fps only next gen game?

just to be clear this isnt against Bloober or the game because i know there's the dual view mechanic, just asking.

EDIT: i guess there's watch dogs legion, but specifically next gen only games i cant think of any really.

Yes. But, to be fair, there are only like three next gen exclusive games so far I think.

Demon's Souls
Astro
The Medium
?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
As a first post this sets a bad tone
it was inevitable.
And this will sadly be ignored across the internet.

That's.....not what I expected. Regardless of the engine this is a very poor showing.

See?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can you play the game without using the split screen mode?
It looks really annoying to play and yeah 900 or 600p at 30 fps is a big yikes.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
interesting one, I'm actually interested in seeing how dual view impacts performance on PC

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

lol. what? why do you feel bad for the developers? also what does the highlighted mean?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to hear there are some visually good scenes.

Hilarious. It's actually doing something impressive in rendering two scenes....but the resolution alone negates it.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This all sounds very promising. I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet. I presume the PC version doesn't offer any other RT features than reflections.

I hope people understand that the split screen views are more demanding than either stereoscopic 3D or split screen multiplayer, due to each view having its own geometry and textures.

Can you play the game without using the split screen mode?
It looks really annoying to play and yeah 900 or 600p at 30 fps is a big yikes.

Of course not. The gameplay is designed around being able to see whats going on in both worlds at the same time in those sections.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

It drops down to 900p only occasionally and when it's literally rendering what is essentially two games simultaneously. It also explains why the PC spec requirements are higher than people were expecting.
I watched the video, you shouldn't render a game twice if the visual clarity is so blurred you get image quality from 2013.
That's the game mechanic the entire game is built around. So you're saying they shouldn't have made the game at all? Or that they should have made it a PC exclusive because it very occasionally drops to 900p in the most demanding scenes on console?

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
It's running 2 scenes. What did you expect?

the problem here is that splitscreen need higher resolution because you're using half the screen. Who play racing games in split screen knows how important is downsampling. Splitting the screen, so having half the pixels per scene, and then reducing the resolution in half again, is too much.

Bloober games are awesome and Layers of Fear one of my GOTYs. But let's not pretend they have good tech in them. They always have serious performance problems, framepacing issues and loading hitches. Blair Witch is terrible.

In my opinion, putting on the table raytracing when your game is a next gen exclusive that runs at 30 fps (with stutters) sometimes at 900p is an example of incorrect priorities.