• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

The Medium was a fascinating, technologically impressive next-gen only release for Xbox Series consoles - but what about PC? Not surprisingly, this game turns out to be super-demanding, even on the most powerful PC hardware money can buy. But is it really 'unoptimised' or is it simply the nature of the content Bloober has delivered? And is there anything that can be done to get a better experience - either through patches, or via settings tweaks? Alex investigates.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Text Article:

www.eurogamer.net

The Medium pushes PC hard - and even 1080p60 is off the table for high-end rigs

After spending some time with The Medium on Xbox Series consoles, we were eager to try out the game on PC. It's an impr…

In a somewhat shocking turn of events, Alex recommends capping the game at 30 FPS for the best experience.

All of which leads us to a stark conclusion - that a capped 30fps may well be the best way to get a consistent experience from this title. Not even a variable refresh rate monitor running at a higher frame-rate produces a consistent experience, because to put it simply, the various stuttering issues make this impossible.

1234gktf.jpg

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's fascinating how some appearance of stutter seems to be tied to actual animation/camera paths. I enjoyed this a ton on console, but that was a 30 fps target, and still had game-level stutter visible (even w/ VRR).

The Ultra RT option is nuts, and might end up being useful as a narrow benchmark of sorts, moving forward.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Runs like complete ass, attempted to play it with a 2080 Super and rx 6800, its unacceptable imo.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the variability example given near the end of the video is fascinating. Normal gameplay bit fine at 120fps. Cutscene starts and it drops to around 80fps. Then dualscreen gameplay section starts and it drops to around 25fps. Extremely variable. No surprise that the recommendation is to definitely cap at 30fps, even if you can sometimes get in excess of 100fps.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I played it with a 1050Ti, I deserve a medal! Those dual view scenes completely murder the framerate. Thankfully the game doesn't really have action scenes so it's just about playable.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
that's unfortunate. so it probably won't be patched.

Most likely, but I wouldn't assume it's unfixable. My level of experience isn't much more than a hobbyist (my experience with animation ended w/ very basic key-frame work on a low-budget kids game a decade ago), but it's possible there's a simplification/conversion at play for the underlying path, and that could be tweaked to eliminate this sort of problem. We had a tween system where the formula to generate in-betweens got messed up in one build, so the movement it generated got wacky even though the actual key-points displayed correctly. I'm wondering if this is a more advanced version of that kind of issue.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I really wonder what this project looked like when they were making it for the WiiU back in the day. I guess the dual reality thing split between console and controller, but probably totally lacking the power.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about an hour into the game (PC, gamepass) - and it's been really jarring to see how much performance tanks when playing dual-view scenes. Hopefully things will be less stuttery with the 30 FPS cap tweak, but if that doesn't really do the trick, I'm going to shelve the game until I can come back to it in a year or three with a Nivida 3xxx card.

Last edited:

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Great to see new titles that actually stress the current high end hardware.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Btw you get less stuttering and better performances with DX11 but the GamePass version is forced on DX12... nice UWP job as usual.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
There was also a patch released today. Not sure if this video includes that patch.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Btw you get less stuttering and better performances with DX11 but the GamePass version is forced on DX12... nice UWP job as usual.
Damn, really? I'm getting some Control déjà vu. Really struggled with performance there too, which was apparently not the case with the other versions where it allowed you to switch between DX11/12.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I sound like an obsessed parrot, but.... not even a mention of broken HDR on PC, Dictator?

Xbox version is superior just because of that alone... and not broken DoF is also a bonus.

1st category of a shitport is the summary for this one.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
There was also a patch released today. Not sure if this video includes that patch.
Patch launched I think a few minutes before this vid went live? So this is not including the patch.
I sound like an obsessed parrot, but.... not even a mention of broken HDR on PC, Dictator?

Xbox version is superior just because of that alone... and not broken DoF is also a bonus.

1st category of a shitport is the summary for this one.
I spent so much time prioritising looking at performance quirks here that i did not try out HDR, or something like ultra wide.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Patch launched I think a few minutes before this vid went live? So this is not including the patch.
I spent so much time prioritising looking at performance quirks here that i did not try out HDR, or something like ultra wide.
Understandable of course, but man... you're in a perfect position to raise some awareness about this. Maybe next time.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I saw this game had essentially splitscreen, it seemed like 60fps was always going to be off the table.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Running it maxed out with RT, The Medium is the only game that brings my 2080 Super to its knees. If I had a Series X, I'd for sure play it there just to get stable performance, until the PC version gets better. It's an incredible game, but it's super, super demanding. I'm kind of expecting this as more next gen only games come out, as we've seen it already with the likes of Control, Flight Sim, and now The Medium.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was running pretty smooth on my setup. Granted I only played for 10 mins before uninstalling because there is no native ultra wide support

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Running this at 4k maxed wit my 3090, with DLSS disabled, had me hovering in the 30-40 range. It didn't bother me too much given the type of game it is, but yeah, it was pretty demanding. Not entirely surprising with the dual worlds and RT enabled on top of that, but still.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
There are 5-6 areas with severe framerate drops without any logical explanation as well. Nothing happening, no effect, just going down stairs and a 10 meters stretch of sub 30 and even 20fps on a high end system (same as Alex, 10900k, 3090FE, 32GB DDR4 4000 , game on nvme) xD
Framepacing was horrible with vsync on, much better off.
This was a brutal game.

Too bad i didn't have the patch, but with the nature of the game and the themes, i have no will to ever go back.

"
Dear players! The Patch 1.1 is live. These are the fixes that come with it:

- Performance optimizations across the whole game
- Eliminated gameplay bugs in various locations
- Eliminated known game crashes
- Eliminated game bugs reported by the community
- Graphical bug fixes across the whole game
- Improvements in camera operation and settings
- Scene lighting fixes in various locations
- Fixes for reported crash issues when loading saves
- Improvements in interactions with in-game events and characters across the whole game
- Raytracing optimizations across the whole game
- Game sound fixes

Many thanks to everyone who gave their feedback!
store.steampowered.com

The Medium - Patch 1.1 is live - Steam News

Dear players! The Patch 1.1 is live. These are the fixes that come with it: - Performance optimizations across the whole game - Eliminated gameplay bugs in various locations - Eliminated known game crashes - Eliminated game bugs reported by the community - Graphical bug fixes across the whole...

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Rarely does a game look bad enough that I find it distracting, but this definitely falls under that category for me. Between the bad performance, stutters, poor animations, and poorly used settings (The blurriness in the wrong areas due to the bad use of Depth-of-field finally explains it a great deal), I find the game to be largely ugly and unpleasant to play. The game looks far worse than the resolution it actually runs at and whatever excuses we want to offer due to the "split screen" scenarios aren't enough to overcome that.

There are interesting ideas at play here, and wish these issues didn't distract from that.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Running this at 4k maxed wit my 3090, with DLSS disabled, had me hovering in the 30-40 range. It didn't bother me too much given the type of game it is, but yeah, it was pretty demanding. Not entirely surprising with the dual worlds and RT enabled on top of that, but still.
I'm more surprised at Smokey having a single 3090 than The Medium being this demanding. This is the guy that had two Titans IIRC.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The quality of DLSS performance is amazing considering what res it's starting out with, too bad even it can't really help this game.

BTW for those of you who may have not watched the full video and seen some side by side shots of the X vs PC with DLSS and thought the DLSS shots looked far more blurry in some but sharper in others, as Alex explains later in the video the depth of field is bugged on the PC currently, it's applying DOF to near-camera objects at points where it shouldn't be. I was bewildered why the same scene at different parts of the video had the X looking far sharper than the PC DLSS version and then vice versa minutes later, that's the reason.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
There are 5-6 areas with severe framerate drops without any logical explanation as well. Nothing happening, no effect, just going down stairs and a 10 meters stretch of sub 30 and even 20fps on a high end system (same as Alex, 10900k, 3090FE, 32GB DDR4 4000 , game on nvme) xD
Framepacing was horrible with vsync on, much better off.
This was a brutal game.

Too bad i didn't have the patch, but with the nature of the game and the themes, i have no will to ever go back.

"

- Improvements in interactions with in-game events and characters across the whole game
- Game sound fixes

store.steampowered.com

The Medium - Patch 1.1 is live - Steam News

Dear players! The Patch 1.1 is live. These are the fixes that come with it: - Performance optimizations across the whole game - Eliminated gameplay bugs in various locations - Eliminated known game crashes - Eliminated game bugs reported by the community - Graphical bug fixes across the whole...

Dang, seems like a good patch. I wish I had waited to play this.

But yeah, I played 95% of the game at a locked 4k30 (RT to on, no DLSS, NVCP cap @ 30) on a 3080, but as you said there were a few scenes that absolutely destroyed performance for no reason. Hopefully this patch smooths out those areas. Honestly RT is barely worth it in this game as the effects are extremely subtle most of the time.

Bloober Team game at launch: never again.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

- Game sound fixes

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 3080pc and a series x.

How bad is pc hdr ? What is wrong with it ? Should I play on series x for this reason alone ?
It's very bad. The highlights are completely clipped so many parts of the game it's so bright you can't see anything. I have a gsync ultimate monitor that can hit 1300 nits and it still clips. Not sure what is happening. I have a 3080 and a series x too. The PC version has potential to be better but apparently it's not for now.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It goes from 110 fps in one scene without RT on a 2060 at 1080p to 22fps in dual-screen. That's over a 4X drop, that's not remotely ok for what it's doing.
What its doing in dual screen is far more demanding than without it. There is room for improvement still but this is still a unique scenario not seen in Arkham Knight.