• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
What's crazy to me is that you guys have been accused of being biased for/against each console now. It's ridiculous. People need to get a grip.

I definitely remember when the general sentiment seemed to be that they're pro-xbox, then that they were pro playstation a year or two into the gen.

It must be exhausting being biased towards everyone all at once!

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Yeah - depending on the video, time of year or air humidity people accuse us of bias for one thing or the other. Perhaps we are in fact biased for and against everything!!!
<You are Shills/Haters>

<We know you Adore/Despise certain companies>

<You can't hide your Pro/Anti sentiments toward Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft from us>

<Good job/How dare you, Dictator/Director>

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
In my experience DF seems to be extremely biased towards Nintendo (Switch).

I'm not sure if it's bias but the lens at which they view Switch games from can seem to be a bit less critical because of the nature of the platform. People on here do it all the time. I've seen the words, "But it's a portable" be used as a defense often when a game doesn't perform well. And when a game does perform well, then it's "Amazing for a portable". I'd like that to be removed from the conversation and let the analysis be about the game on its own merits and whether it actually runs well regardless of the platform it's on.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
In my experience DF seems to be extremely biased towards Nintendo (Switch).

Honest question...do you really think that's a helpful statement? Especially as we have DF staff who go on here and have heard accusations of bias every which way countless times :/

It's so easy to see a trend of bias if you look for it with these things. I think it's pretty clear that the reality paints to them analysing ports on their own terms, often with a positive yet critical approach.

If it ever seems they're going soft on Switch stuff, I think it's safe to say that's due to taking the hardware into account, the appeal of modern games on a handheld and also varying user sensitivity to performance and such. Even then, they were still very critical of the Saints Row 3 port, while acknowleding what a difficult porting task it must've been

Last edited:

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
hahahah

this is amazing, thanks you :D

(still have to beat control).
Thank you guys for the great analyses you put out!

And definitely finish Control. It's an incredible game (as you already know :P), I got sucked into it for about 25-30 straight hours. I think I 100%'d it, what a wild ride. Can't wait for the DLC episodes. Especially that second one, hoo baby I might be able to stop hanging from this cliff after a decade!

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore the game and how it looks, but I am a bit shocked about how it runs. I normally don't care much about drops or 30 fps, but for instance when I get in the flower swamp - is it really still 30 fps? It feels so much worse for whatever reason

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Hate to disappointed you, but we are in fact, not.
You're not disappointing me, especially not you. I just thought some of John's videos sound a bit over-enthusiast when it comes to Nintendo. Just my subjective impressions though. No offense, I'm one of your subscribers and you're doing an extraordinary job!

I'm not sure if it's bias but the lens at which they view Switch games from can seem to be a bit less critical because of the nature of the platform. People on here do it all the time. I've seen the words, "But it's a portable" be used as a defense often when a game doesn't perform well. And when a game does perform well, then it's "Amazing for a portable". I'd like that to be removed from the conversation and let the analysis be about the game on its own merits and whether it actually runs well regardless of the platform it's on.
Yes I think this explains it pretty well.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is what I'm doing. It hilarious when you go through the swamp area and pull the charger off and on again. The way resolution changes and framerate jumps from janky to smooth to janky right in front of your eyes. The game also looks utterly beautiful at 1080p on small screen. It still stutters when you fast travel and appear in new area, but all the other slowdowns are completely gone, and that includes going in and out of huts or swapping areas.

You do know the Switch screen is 720p?

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
1080p games look so messy on modern TVs, let alone 720p ones. It looks dreadful, pretty much like every Switch game on big modern TVs.

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
1080p games look so messy on modern TVs, let alone 720p ones. It looks dreadful, pretty much like every Switch game on big modern TVs.
? I've got a Sony x900e and 1080p games look fine, not sure what you mean by messy. Sure higher resolution+HDR games look even better but 1080p stuff is fine.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good timing that John took a forum break I think because he'd be fucking exhausted and burnt out to explain everything Dictator did here.

People here jumping through hoops to accuse DF of being biased is pretty embarassing and a bad look on this community, like, get a fucking grip with your framerate, yes it's not perfect but it's not the hyperbolic sickening mess some people make it out to be and it doesn't make reviewers, news outlets and analysts biased toward Nintendo because they don't share your gag reflex for framerate drops.

It's always this shit in DF threads, yes, performance is important and it's part of the discussion, of course, but when you're reaching so far to the point where you're accusing the analyst himself. Perhaps it's time to re-read your post before hitting that big purple 'POST REPLY' button.

Those are actual passionate human beings doing meaningful work for this community and I'm fucking ashamed that some people here are pathetically stepping over this fact to slip edgy, baseless conspiracy theory inspired posts to justify their petty, sheer disgust over an unstable framerate. You're hurting people with this shit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but I play 1080p games and my Switch on a 4k set and I'd never call it dreadful. They still look great even if some the image quality isn't perfect. Link's Awakening is no exception. It looks wonderful on my TV.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but I play 1080p games and my Switch on a 4k set and I'd never call it dreadful. They still look great even if some the image quality isn't perfect. Link's Awakening is no exception. It looks wonderful on my TV.

The larger the subpixels the worse the image. A 1080p image on a 4K set looks better than a 1080p image on a 1080p set of the same size. The chromatic aberration look of large subpixels can even be manipulated to create fonts that are one pixel wide.

https://imgur.com/12ntm3G

Given the option of having each 1080p pixel be made of three subpixes, or twelve (as one gets on a 4K display), you want the latter unless somebody fucked up designing the set.

If 1080p looks worse on a 4K set than a 1080p set of the same size look for non integer scaling (overscan is one thing that can cause this). A test pattern of alternating black and white lines will look rippled, like one of these four examples, or worse, a combination of a couple of these examples:

ayYdt3T.png

By the way, this distortion makes aliasing even more noticeable than usual.

Now, 720p, don't even get me started, because 720p flat panels didn't even exist. 1280x720p was non-integer scaled to either 1366x768p or 1024x768p. Or non integer scaled to 1920x1080p. So yeah, even *better* to display on a 4K set where the image can at least be integer scaled.