• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Is it UE4?

I'm going to delete this and redownload it on internal memory since that seems to help.

I haven't seen evidence of this. UE4 attribution is normally required and it's not in the credits.

There are some quirks similar to UE4, like SSAO rendering at half-res and causing flickering, but quirks like that aren't really exclusive to an engine even if they are common in one.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Is it UE4?

I'm going to delete this and redownload it on internal memory since that seems to help.
I haven't seen evidence of this. UE4 attribution is normally required and it's not in the credits.

There are some quirks similar to UE4, like AO rendering at half-res and causing flickering, but quirks like that aren't really exclusive to an engine even if they are common in one.
Thanks for clarifying. I guess it aint clear then. Nice that it's a sharp looking game

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
"a stunning remake"
"unmissable"

and yet you read the thread and it sounds like its a garbage... oh Era you so silly
When it's not about the performance, it's about how short the game supposedly is since it's "just an old Gameboy game".
I've been pointing some people that Howlongtobeat estimates the original at 15 hours (they just added the remake and estimate it at 13 hours), which is, you know, on par with recent Nintendo singleplayer outputs that isn't big AAA games such as Odyssey or BOTW, and definitely on par with most first party 3DS games. Of course those people just ignore those messages, and few posts later they keep complaining about this game being too short because it's a gameboy game lol

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen, my eyes are glued to the Digital Foundry vid just seeing Link walking around.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I initially had my doubts about it but this video gave me a strong urge to buy this game. I will hold off on buying until later but its a must buy at this point. The graphics and the qol improvements just make it an unmissable addition to the Switch library. The original game is good but the ferch quests and the tedious item swapping is not something I like in my games. These things seemed to be solved by a good overworld map, markers and being able to use multiple items at once.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The flowers don't animate in the remake.

Absolutely disgusting.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely zero intention of ever playing this game, yet I fully watched this video. That's how much I enjoy DF!

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
- The game utilizes a double buffered V-Sync, so drops from 60 go down all the way to 30

So what does this mean, what is doubble buffered V-sync and what does it provide?
Double buffer is basically your GPU holding 2 frames at a time, one of them displayed on the screen while other is rendered in the background. It constantly swaps between two frames, and the ideal rate of swapping is 60 times per second for something like Switch screen. When you turn on V-sync however and if the game drop below 60fps, the GPU will show the same displayed frame twice because it is still rendering the back frame. This prevents tearing but straight up drops the FPS to half.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

There are some quirks similar to UE4, like SSAO rendering at half-res and causing flickering, but quirks like that aren't really exclusive to an engine even if they are common in one.

does yoshi's cw show the ue4 logo in the credits?

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching right now, and Double Buffered V-Sync again? Why?! I get that input should remain unaffected by it, but lord are these drops rough.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017

Was UE4 mentionned in Yoshi's Crafty World credits?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Redownloading it to the internal storage too...
Come on Nintendo hurry up with that Switch Pro *sigh*

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
does yoshi's cw show the ue4 logo in the credits?

Was UE4 mentionned in Yoshi's Crafty World credits?

I just checked and not that I can see, no. However, the evidence for that game using UE4 is the fact that the developers have said it uses it, and we don't even have that for Link's Awakening as far as I know.

I'm not saying it doesn't use UE4, I'm saying that I haven't seen any actual evidence in support of it.

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the video is a comparison between the new and old, and all the technical refinements from 2019. Highly recommend a watch.

Some salient point

Dynamic resolution:
- Docked: 1080p to 720p. Indoors mostly 972p, outdoors 720p.
- Portable: 720p indoors, 576p outdoors.

Performance:
- Final game has improved over E3 build, but still has drops. Runs similar to GamesCom build.
- Normal gameplay shows large drops from 60 to 30 FPS.
- The swamp area seems to drop the most. Other areas run much better.
- The game utilizes a double buffered V-Sync, so drops from 60 go down all the way to 30
- Transitioning areas also causes drops, which John theorizes maybe CPU related.
- Portable performance is the same as docked.

Oof, that bolded bit is a bit unfortunate.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I just checked and not that I can see, no. However, the evidence for that game using UE4 is the fact that the developers have said it uses it, and we don't even have that for Link's Awakening as far as I know.

I'm not saying it doesn't use UE4, I'm saying that I haven't seen any actual evidence in support of it.

Thanks for checking. No evidence so far but it really has the UE4 look and it could also explain the little performance issues as it's not an in-house engine.
It wouldn't surprise me Nintendo allowed their secondary studios like Good Feel and Grezzo to share their UE4 experience.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah definitely going to wait for a patch or two before picking this up. Looks good other than the frame rate issues. Very cool.

Oct 29, 2017

You can find out if LA is using UE4 by going to the game's icon in the Switch Home Menu, pressing + and then checking the Intellectual Property Notices option under the Software Information tab.

Yoshi's Crafted World mentions UE4 in its Intellectual Property Notices screen, so Link's Awakening should do as well.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Thanks for checking. No evidence so far but it really has the UE4 look and it could also explain the little performance issues as it's not an in-house engine.
It wouldn't surprise me Nintendo allowed their secondary studios like Good Feel and Grezzo to share their UE4 experience.

It's certainly possible, but I would caution people to be careful that speculation doesn't lead to foregone conclusions.

You have a lot of people assuming the game runs on UE4 and that assumption builds onto itself until everyone accepts it as fact without evidence, and that's not good.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm hoping by the time I pick this up there may have been some patches.

Am I dreaming?
Hopefully not dreaming, that's my plan as well since I do want to play this too. If they don't patch it I will still play it because it's not a huge issue, but having better performance is always preferable 😄

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You can find out if LA is using UE4 by going to the game's icon in the Switch Home Menu, pressing + and then checking the Intellectual Property Notices option under the Software Information tab.

Yoshi's Crafted World mentions UE4 in its Intellectual Property Notices screen, so Link's Awakening should do as well.

Thank you. Will check.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Such a shame about the frame rate, I'm sure the core of Nintendo's fan base won't care but for someone like myself it's definitely going to hurt the experience.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the performance issues and resolution are a bit sad to see. DF seems to be more positive about it than me from the video, but I already don't love the art style used, so these issues objectively make it worse.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much overclocking can help the framerate problems.
Probably not that much. But worth a test.

Why on earth would they not use Triple Buffering?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Entities/IP credited in the intellectual property notices:

Nintendo

Grezzo

immersion

FONTWORKS

YOONDESIGN GROUP INC.

Stagefright

The Android Open Source Project

Apache

The Fraunhofer FDK AAC Codec library for Android

H.264

VP8 and VP9

lilvorbis

lilwebm

No mention of Epic or UE4

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo

Grezzo

immersion

FONTWORKS

YOONDESIGN GROUP INC.

Stagefright

Apache

H.264

VP8 and VP9

lilvorbis

lilwebm

Is it common for other games to credit the Android open source project?

Oct 29, 2017

Nintendo

Grezzo

immersion

FONTWORKS

YOONDESIGN GROUP INC.

Stagefright

Apache

H.264

VP8 and VP9

lilvorbis

lilwebm

Well that's that then. It's either a bespoke internal engine from Greezo, or it's EPD's own NintendoWare engine.

Cheers!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they can get it fixed or patch in a 30 fps mode, but I'm not holding my breath. It being distracting and a definite problem, like DF says, is what I feared.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So excited. Hurry up and ship it amazon. ;_;

Really hope Nintendo decides to remake Oracle/Seasons and Minish Cap.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

Nintendo

Grezzo

immersion

FONTWORKS

YOONDESIGN GROUP INC.

Stagefright

Apache

H.264

VP8 and VP9

lilvorbis

lilwebm

Thanks, this should end the UE4 speculation. Because it's probably a heavily modified UE2 (remember that?)

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Is there a way to force downloads to internal memory instead of your micro SD card? Is going internal really that much of a difference?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, too late to cancel my order too. Never would've imagined a digital version would run better. That's terrible. :(

I don't think it's the first game. I recall reading load times generally being better off of internal. Though I guess this is the first big one where in-game asset streaming is so affected.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, but framerate matters way more to me. Load times never bothered me. This though. :(

Last edited: