• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
ezgif.com-gif-maker-1694b4dc13fab0480a.gif

Best character model I've seen in any game to date :O
And yet, my pet peeve still remains - character breathing is still not animated properly.

Animators are focused on breathing effects on the face, but chest, belly, neck [and clothes] are very very rarely animated like they need to be, very minimal movement if any. Once you spot this trend, it can be seen everywhere. Usually cinematics get the best treatment, but gameplay, not so much.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Watching this and it's just incredible, best looking game I've ever seen. I was going to wait for the PS5 version but the base PS4 seems so solid this time that I might bite sooner than expected.

Also can someone pls gif that part at 14:30? It's like 5 seconds, you can notice the spots where damage was inflicted and also the enemy reaction to your actions, like holy shit.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I just finished my replay of the first game which makes part II footage look like a CG movie šŸ˜

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
ezgif.com-gif-maker-1694b4dc13fab0480a.gif

Best character model I've seen in any game to date :O
Agreed, on any platform
For a gameplay model (not cutsecene or setpiece) this is almost a generational leap from Uncharted, God of War and even RDR2.
This gen it's been nice to see facial expressions in gameplay models, yet nearly all games still have dead eyes. This is exceptional.

And yet, my pet peeve still remains - character breathing is still not animated properly.

Animators are focused on breathing effects on the face, but chest, belly, neck [and clothes] are very very rarely animated like they need to be, very minimal movement if any. Once you spot this trend, it can be seen everywhere. Usually cinematics get the best treatment, but gameplay, not so much.

Those are some high expectations. Current hardware obviously limits what they can do with gameplay models, and we see this in facial animations, let alone adding deformation and animations to the body which 90% of the time would be obscured by clothes or the 3rd person camera

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I was expecting The Last of Us on PS3 levels of bad, I'm pleasantly surprised. I just pre-ordered the game due to this video.

Apr 19, 2018
The long load times when skipping cutscenes seems like a bummer. It obviously won't be so much an issue on a first playthrough, but for repeat plays (and speedrunners), I can see it as being something of an irritation.

I am curious how this "Encounters menu" works. Guess it's like a chapter select, but focuses exclusively on the combat sections of that specific chapter? Will they give you a predetermined weapons/item payout, or will it be what you had in your inventory at that point in the game?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I am curious how this "Encounters menu" works. Guess it's like a chapter select, but focuses exclusively on the combat sections of that specific chapter? Will they give you a predetermined weapons/item payout, or will it be what you had in your inventory at that point in the game?
Have you played UC4?

what made you expect that?
ND, even now a week before release, has exclusively shown PS4 pro footage, and given the quality of the game's visuals, concerns about performance on base consoles was definitely a bit warranted.

Last edited:

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm abit confused as to why the pro drops FPS at 1440p if the base system can maintain 1080p 30, the pro should be doing better

I was thinking this as well. Why do other PS4 Pro games, like Days Gone, God of War ( 4K CB) and titles which are close to 4K, like Spiderman GT:S run at a higher resolution than base console, but ND games are stuck at 1440p?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Why did they say the game us built from the ground up for ps4 pro. I thought ND already said it was built to run for ps4 first ps4 pro second as most ppl will be playing on the ps4.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I think so! Any enviornment with indirect lighting like the ones in this video will have a big disconnect in lighting between dynamic objects (players, movable physics objects, NPCs, moving geometry like leaves) and the static geometry. Even RT GI would help clean up a lot of the light leak that happens with static light maps when their resolution does not match the detail/thickness of the static geometry.

Love the insight thanks. I'd imagine this is a prime candidate for a remaster with RT

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I was thinking this as well. Why do other PS4 Pro games, like Days Gone, God of War ( 4K CB) and titles which are close to 4K, like Spiderman GT:S run at a higher resolution than base console, but ND games are stuck at 1440p?

The real mystery is why the base console version is so good but then the Pro is just a 1440p res bump with worse performance in spots. Hardly screams of a game that was designed with the stronger console in mind.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the PS5 would be able to pull 1440p 60fps + Ray tracing, cause I'm planning to wait for it

SoloTerran

Jun 29, 2018
Something interesting to note is that there is a youtube channel that was showing some gameplay with a fps counter and it showed ps4 and ps4 pro side by side.

During a combat encounter the player threw a molotov and the fps on ps4 dipped to 27/28 and the ps4pro was still at 30 with the flames on screen.

I don't think the ps4 always has better performance. Just seems like water hits the ps4pro hard, whereas its probably better fps wise in combat.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Something interesting to note is that there is a youtube channel that was showing some gameplay with a fps counter and it showed ps4 and ps4 pro side by side.

During a combat encounter the player threw a molotov and the fps on ps4 dipped to 27/28 and the ps4pro was still at 30 with the flames on screen.

I don't think the ps4 always has better performance. Just seems like water hits the ps4pro hard, whereas its probably better fps wise in combat.

This could be the case and would make more sense, DF don't really have the time to analyse every section of long games. It seems doubtful the base console is locked 30fps 24/7.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty happy the base PS4 can maintain a pretty stable 30FPS, especially since this game manages to look even better than U4/Lost Legacy. Can't wait to play it.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I'm still using a base console, I really only use it for exclusives since I have a PC for multiplats, but pretty much every exclusive I've played has been solid fps wise on the base so haven't really had the need to upgrade, good to see that's still the case here.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks stunning even after seeing PS5's games. Naughty Dog don't disappoint.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
ND, even now a week before release, has exclusively shown PS4 pro footage, and given the quality of the game's visuals, concerns about performance on base consoles was definitely a bit warranted.
Same studio, with a game pushing the hardware to the limits at the end of a console cycle.

Can't say how performance was across the board for naughty dog games last gen as I never played any back then but this entire gen from what I remember correctly every game they put out has been very stable aside from a few dips, base or pro. Also isn't it the norm for developers to show footage from the higher spec console? I'd imagine they don't just push the envelope and let the performance go wherever the system takes it without proper balance.

With ND involved I'm not too worried and this turned out exactly how I expected with 30 fps and a few minor dips here and there. I'm sure on the Pro version if they wanted to patch up the issue around water they probably could but even then its not even THAT bad.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Can't say how performance was across the board for naughty dog games last gen as I never played any back then but this entire gen from what I remember correctly every game they put out has been very stable aside from a few dips, base or pro. Also isn't it the norm for developers to show footage from the higher spec console? I'd imagine they don't just push the envelope and let the performance go wherever the system takes it without proper balance.

With ND involved I'm not too worried and this turned out exactly how I expected with 30 fps and a few minor dips here and there. I'm sure on the Pro version if they wanted to patch up the issue around water they probably could but even then its not even THAT bad.
The e3 2018 demo was a substantial enough improvement over UC4 visually that it was like "oh dear, how will this game run?"

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with the bit where they said it was built from the ground up with the Pro in mind. That's nonsense. If it was really designed for the Pro, there would more than a resolution difference. Not too mention the framerate is less stable on the Pro, although not by much.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
I don't agree with the bit where they said it was built from the ground up with the Pro in mind. That's nonsense. If it was really designed for the Pro, there would more than a resolution difference. Not too mention the framerate is less stable on the Pro, although not by much.
It also goes directly against what Naughty Dog have said themselves lol. I remember an interview where they say that they designed it for the PS4 first to make sure it would run smooth.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Some of the environment shots when they turn the cam around (a couple of times in the video) looked unbelievably crazy good.
I can't f'n wait to do hundreds of crazy screenshots again.