• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awaiting written summary. I don't want spoilers (I know DF video won't have story spoilers, but I also don't want to see environmental spoilers).

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen any footage since the B-Roll and don't intend to being so close, can anyone be so kind as to provide a summary?

Kureizu

Oct 27, 2017
Alicante, Spain.
Framerate is more solid on base Ps4 than Pro.

As someone who plays on a pro at 1080p, this is one of those cases where I wish the game didn't downsample natively and gave me better performance instead rendering at 1080 like many games do. I know the drops are minor but playing this on my pro at 1080p knowing that I would have better framerates playing on a normal Ps4 doesn't feel right at all.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Framerate is more solid on base Ps4 than Pro.

As someone who plays on a pro at 1080p, this is one of those cases where I wish the game didn't downsample natively and gave me better performance instead rendering at 1080 like many games do. I know the drops are minor but playing this on my pro at 1080p knowing that I would have better framerates playing on a normal Ps4 doesn't feel right at all.

I'm on a 4k TV, but yeah, it would be great to have some choice here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really not that impressed with the lighting in this. Looks really bland. Seems like a game that could really do with some RT/GI stuff on PS5. Performs really well on the base systems, if a little fuzzy. Would be way more impressed to see a native 4k on this.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that PS5 reveal has spoiled me.

TLOU II immediately has that "current gen" look to it now that I've seen some of these next-gen titles. Looks amazing but the limitations are quite clear now.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah already looks like a a best looking game this gen and seems like there is a lot more to see that they can't talk about or show yet.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how they're not allowed to show the area from the 2018 footage. At least John addressed it and confirmed the game doesn't quite look like that, animation-wise. Richard was asking some good questions tbh, I had forgotten all about the dumpsters and ladders from the original game lol.
Really not that impressed with the lighting in this. Looks really bland. Seems like a game that could really do with some RT/GI stuff on PS5. Performs really well on the base systems, if a little fuzzy. Would be way more impressed to see a native 4k on this.
I'm not sure much RT could help in this case since it seems to be an aesthetic choice, but I agree that the daytime locations they've shown aren't particularly impressive to behold.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
looks amazing really for a PS4 title. Hopefully ND will patch it for the PS5 lol. Just add ray tracing feature :P

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It looks gorgeous.

That dodge maneuvre at 0:21 looks like it's going to be very useful.

Apr 19, 2018
Only around three minutes in, but I think is the first footage I've seen that shows how one can actively go prone in this game. Much of what was shown before almost seemed contextual by nature; tall grass, underneath cars, etc. It's just cool to see it in action as its own separate thing, and it does very much look MGSV in practice. Nice.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

TLOU II immediately has that "current gen" look to it now that I've seen some of these next-gen titles. Looks amazing but the limitations are quite clear now.

Ha. Same here. The PS5 reveal and the unreal engine 5 tech demo really makes you realise where cut backs are made by developers due to limitations of current gen tech.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Do they talk about loudness??

I really really want to know if it's loud on PS4 Pro
gamersyde did

C316-FDFF-4933-42-F7-A8-B0-AE088-E426561.jpg

Apr 19, 2018
The minor dips in framerate on the Pro is a bit disappointing.

And to clarify, lowering the resolution to 1080p on the system level wouldn't remedy this, would it?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
They cant possible measured that

You can't measure how loud something is..?

-----------------

So they were working under extremely strict embargo guidelines. I hope Sony doesn't pull something hilariously stupid like give Twitch streamers 24+ hour head start and freedom to stream :D

Other than that sounds like technical achievement for current-gen.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I'm not sure much RT could help in this case
I think so! Any enviornment with indirect lighting like the ones in this video will have a big disconnect in lighting between dynamic objects (players, movable physics objects, NPCs, moving geometry like leaves) and the static geometry. Even RT GI would help clean up a lot of the light leak that happens with static light maps when their resolution does not match the detail/thickness of the static geometry.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think so! Any enviornment with indirect lighting like the ones in this video will have a big disconnect in lighting between dynamic objects (players, movable physics objects, NPCs, moving geometry like leaves) and the static geometry. Even RT GI would help clean up a lot of the light leak that happens with static light maps when their resolution does not match the detail/thickness of the static geometry.
Agreed. The light leak is probably why I see it as bland. Sorry, not a great word for that but it explains what I mean.

I expect Sony to throw all the PS5 stuff at a patch for TLOU2.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Will watch after I finish the game, don't want environment spoilers. What resolution is the Pro at?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Funny how they're not allowed to show the area from the 2018 footage. At least John addressed it and confirmed the game doesn't quite look like that, animation-wise. Richard was asking some good questions tbh, I had forgotten all about the dumpsters and ladders from the original game lol.

I just finished the original yesterday and think I'm gonna be seeing dreams about those dumpsters and ladders for a long time. I didn't expect to hear about it in a DF video, but thank god they've moved on from constantly reusing those mechanics.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Are there any other graphical upgrades aside from resolution? Just going from 1080p to 1440p and copping more performance issues seems like a pretty mediocre upgrade.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

Even though the game appears to be well optimized for the PS4, to be frank the "wait it out until the next console generation" and "a remaster will probably be coming" dread that is prevalent now really gets to me.

Can't help but think that I'm going through FOMO by playing a game like this now when I think the game will be remastered later. I fear of missing out on a better experience on a better console.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Even though the game appears to be well optimized for the PS4, to be frank the "wait it out until the next console generation" and "a remaster will probably be coming" dread that is prevalent now really gets to me.

Can't help but think that I'm going through FOMO by playing a game like this now when I think the game will be remastered later.
Sounds like it is very replay-able. So why not both.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation 1st party is really delivering great performance for base PS4 users, all while pushing the visuals to the max.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Ill play on Slim so superhappy to read this. I wasnt going to wait to play it regardless.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't want to be *that* guy, but when they flip between the E32018 trailer and the final game, it seems like lighting took a sizeable hit, like ambient occlusion coverage or GI quality has been reduced somehow.
Not saying "downgrade!!!1111" but yeah.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't want to be *that* guy, but when they flip between the E32018 trailer and the final game, it seems like lighting took a sizeable hit, like ambient occlusion coverage or GI quality has been reduced somehow.
Not saying "downgrade!!!1111" but yeah.

A lot of things have taken hits along the way.

What they showed few years back was very ambitious and there is reason why people were blown away by it, especially animation work. Ambitious goal that at the end they had to undershoot a bit.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The minor dips in framerate on the Pro is a bit disappointing.

And to clarify, lowering the resolution to 1080p on the system level wouldn't remedy this, would it?

EDIT: Nope, guess not.

I think it would. John mentions that the base PS4 doesn't have those dips, and that if you run the PS4 Pro in 1080p mode, it's identical to the base model in presentation.

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm abit confused as to why the pro drops FPS at 1440p if the base system can maintain 1080p 30, the pro should be doing better