• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
On twitter I saw a dev of Unity but ex dev in ICE team said he doesn't like Temporal reconstruction.

This might have something to do with the lack of upscaling techniques in ND games.

Let's be clear that they are only comparing the intro mission in RDR2 and even at that they picked by far the worst scene. With little forest and huge field. Ofcourse the TLOUS2 scene will be packed with more detail seen it's a scene in dense forest and building structures.

But the snow tech, atmosphere, sky and weather looks better in RDR2 even in just that bad scene.

Back with your unsubstantiated takes, lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks fantastic, but the game is also still 5 months out. I'd imagine we see improvements and further polish in the run up to its release.

Oct 27, 2017
As an owner of multiple 4k displays, people have a strange obsession with resolution here. While higher resolutions are nice, you have to pick what you're putting your limited GPU resources towards. Also all of the upscaling techniques have tradeoffs, especially when handling motion, so I can understand why some devs would choose not to use it

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be clear that they are only comparing the intro mission in RDR2 and even at that they picked by far the worst scene. With little forest and huge field. Ofcourse the TLOUS2 scene will be packed with more detail seen it's a scene in dense forest and building structures.

But the snow tech, atmosphere, sky and weather looks better in RDR2 even in just that bad scene.

Subjective and easily disagreeable.

This might have something to do with the lack of upscaling techniques in ND games.

When your engine and AA implementation gives the appearance of a super sampled image anyway, I guess reconstruction is kinda unnecessary.

Naughty Dog has developed a temporal anti-aliasing technique that delivers results that sometimes manage to approach the quality of a super-sampled image.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
my god I can't believe this, i'm NOT gonna play a game at 1440p in 2020. Preorder cancelled.

jhahahahaha this forum.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
one thing the video did show is what i expected will happen in the "are you going to wait on PS5 to play the upcoming games".
i answered that i will play on PS4 the exclusives and wait on the third parties because i generally trust first party devs more to deliver a more stable performance on current gen consoles.
Why not? The game will be better and most likely be cheaper. It will definitely not be worse :)
Spoilers will be hard to avoid for a whole year.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what media you use. I am currently playing TW3 and can say that I go in completely blind because I barely participated in the threads at the time (because I didn't buy it on release).

If you can wait a full year (or more) for a PS5 version or an enhanced BC version, power to you.

I don't have that kind of willpower in this case lol. Hell, playing the remaster after the PS3 version of TLoU made me appreciate it more.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you that when it comes to technology and graphics which rely on perception, faking it is way better than making it.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you can wait a full year (or more) for a PS5 version or an enhanced BC version, power to you.

I don't have that kind of willpower in this case lol. Hell, playing the remaster after the PS3 version of TLoU made me appreciate it more.
I won't have a problem with it and I don't think it will take a year for the patch :) I guess instead it might be a selling point for PS5. I will just treat it as a next gen game :)

Oct 25, 2017
I did as a joke because of the hot takes :)

when it's Naughty Dog there's a lot emotion from both sides and I like to poke at the most absurd ones.
People have been disappointed at their support of the Pro since Uncharted 4, I think it's pretty fair criticism.

It mostly comes from fans of the studio, too.

I can tell you that when it comes to technology and graphics which rely on perception, faking it is way better than making it.
For sure. Faking it may be a lot more work, though, so it's good that technology keeps evolving so that maybe someday it won't be necessary.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
It doesn't look quite as good as I'd expected but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
People have been disappointed at their support of the Pro since Uncharted 4, I think it's pretty fair criticism.

It mostly comes from fans of the studio, too.

Yes, but i have a very deep respect for them because of their focus on the base model, so yeah, they could up things a bit more interesting like GOW - which hiccups in the base model, but yeah, 1440p is fair enough for me (and i'm a pro owner).

there will be a very better version on PS5 and probably as a free patch, don't worry.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
Looks so beautiful. I'll take the foliage density, greater lighting, bigger encounters over higher resolution thank you.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully with the new AMD RIS sharpening, ND can implement that to make the IQ ultra sharp at least. Hope they have also cleaned up the motion blur artifacts.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but i have a very deep respect for them because of their focus on the base model, so yeah, they could up things a bit more interesting like GOW - which hiccups in the base model, but yeah, 1440p is fair enough for me (and i'm a pro owner).

there will be a very better version on PS5 and probably as a free patch, don't worry.
I actually agree with you on this, focusing on the base version is the way to go.

The second part is what I take issue with. The PS5 won't be free. Waiting 9 months and spending 400~500 bucks shouldn't be an acceptable answer to "I wish my machine had better support".

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people weren't impressed by the visuals from the second Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer when we first got a look at Arthur Morgan and the rest of the gang. It's best to just wait until we've gotten our hands on the game because Youtube doesn't do those clips any justice even though it still looks really good.

Here are some people who played the game had to say about its visuals.
Lastly, I should probably state the obvious: the game looks proper gorgeous, even to a non-graphics whore. Everywhere you look the benchmark has been raised, often in ways that just look like Naughty Dog is showing off. I was in a race against time to consume as much about this game as humanly possible, and yet I blew five minutes here and there simply watching things in awe. One early instance was using Shimmer to shatter an ice sheet on the shoreline of a creek. I then watched the individual chunks crack, separate and slowly melt as they flowed downstream. I'd like to think that Sony's ICE team is at least partially responsible for this moment.

These were the opening moments of my hands-on session and the most immediately apparent thing about The Last of Us Part II is just how incredibly gorgeous it looks. I shouldn't be surprised, this is Naughty Dog we're talking about, but the sheer level of detail in the world, the characters and in particular all of the animations, is truly second-to-none. Red Dead Redemption II might have had claim to the "Most Frighteningly Realistic Horses" crown for a while now, but it faces some stiff competition here.

From the painstakingly detailed interiors full of brilliant environmental storytelling and incredible lighting direction, to a particularly panic-inducing snowstorm complete with unbelievable weather effects, this is one hell of a good-looking game. Going back to the first game ahead of this preview, I was reminded of just how far ahead of their time the animations were, especially for last-gen, and I wondered how much further Naughty Dog could feasibly take it. Turns out: very far. This game will no doubt be the benchmark for animation and art direction for years to come.

At the end of the day (and the world, I guess) The Last of Us Part 2 is shaping up to be something truly special. I went in with the absolute highest of expectations, and they were met. The visuals here set a new benchmark, and the new motion-matching animation technique makes the on-screen action look eerily lifelike. Likewise, the combat is white knuckle stuff, be it desperate shootouts in the streets or a series of bunghole-puckering melee brawls in dank suburban dungeons. More importantly than all of that, it just feels great in your hands – flawless, even in this incomplete state.

Every game will be subjective for what art style people prefer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people weren't impressed by the visuals from the second Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer when we first got a look at Arthur Morgan and the rest of the gang. It's best to just wait until we've gotten our hands on the game because Youtube doesn't do those clips any justice even though it still looks really good.

Here are some people who played the game had to say about its visuals.

Every game will be subjective for what art style people prefer.
Last two are from the same author.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
What happens if you can see the fake very well? :)
It should be interesting to see this game on PS4Pro in the context after Death Stranding! Decima does a lot differently than ND engine actually - I am curious which results people could end up prefering for IQ or how lighting is handled (baked vs. Dynamic primarily).

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to play The Last of Us Remastered on Pro. It's 1800p60, right? Only played it on the PS3 and the vanilla PS4, and I still think it looks fantastic.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
What happens if you can see the fake very well? :)
It should be interesting to see this game on PS4Pro in the context after Death Stranding! Decima does a lot differently than ND engine actually - I am curious which results people could end up prefering for IQ or how lighting is handled (baked vs. Dynamic primarily).
Than the faking is not well done. Nintendo's Mario Galaxy running on a 480p resolution is more prettier than a lot of HD games of that era and the same could be said for Zelda skyward sword. Perception matters way more than technical achievements.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Uncharted 4/LL has some of the best IQ in 4K of almost any game I've ever seen, without typical checkerboarding artifacts, so I trust them on this one, game's gonna be stunning

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Even at 1440p, I think the image quality is a step up from previous ND Pro upgrades. Playing Lost Legacy again right now and the TLoU2 footage looks sharper even with Youtube compression.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to play The Last of Us Remastered on Pro. It's 1800p60, right? Only played it on the PS3 and the vanilla PS4, and I still think it looks fantastic.

Yes, either 1800p/60 FPS or native 4K/30 FPS.

Even at 1440p, I think the image quality is a step up from previous ND Pro upgrades. Playing Lost Legacy again right now and the TLoU2 footage looks sharper even with Youtube compression.

Yeah, not just the image quality. Things like the refined animation blending, indirect lighting, mo-cap enhancements over the years etc all make it look like a notable step-up from TLL/UC4.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like John compared the two scenes and came away rather impressed with how good TLoU P2 looks over RDR2.

Did I understand his comment correctly?

He was impressed with the quality, yeah, but honestly it seems like you're interjecting your own opinion here with the comparison. He didn't say or hint which one he favored either way.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
dude, move on. The experts at digital foundry have a whole article detailing what exactly is impressive about Gears 5, and that goes much further than how it looks, but also on how it performs.

you responded to a ludicrous inference with an even more ludicrous statement. But move on from this derail of your own making.
Move on from what exactly? My opinion? I just responded to some one and get ganged on by people saying how wrong I am just because some one doesn't share same opinion on their precious exclusive and that started derailing the thread. Also I respect digital foundry guys a lot but I am basing my opinion on what I saw.

My last post on this topic. Feel free to discuss in ot if you want .

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Almost wish this was a cross gen launch title for ps4/ps5 like Halo infinite will be Xbox . I'll be there day one, and hopefully my 2nd play through will be on ps5 launch with just an "update with ps5 enhancements " instead of having to double dip again.

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Subjective and easily disagreeable

Huh? Subjective? Even just picking one thing I listed. Clouds. RDR2 has volumetric clouds and fully dynamic weather system. It has the best cloud system in a video game (atleast till MS Flight simulator releases) TLOU2 uses a skybox.

No it's not disagreeable or subjective.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Subjective? Even just picking one thing I listed. Clouds. RDR2 has volumetric clouds and fully dynamic weather system. It has the best cloud system in a video game (atleast till MS Flight simulator releases) TLOU2 uses a skybox.

No it's not disagreeable or subjective.

It's subjective because outside of being an opinion based argument, we have only glimpsed a few seconds of TLoU 2's snow tech and if it has different weathers, which won't be dynamic owing to the game's more linear story-focused nature. You also cited 'atmosphere' which is a highly contentious and subjective term. You're comparing the entirety of RDR2 with the few minutes of TLoU 2 we have, and even then its subjective which does 'atmosphere' better at this point.

We both see it differently. You think he wasn't explicit enough, and I took his comparison as an informed opinion.

"RDR2 has a very similar opening but the level of detail is ridiculously high".

I think its easy to infer that he's talking about the level of detail being ridiculously high in a comparison between RDR2's opening and the similar TLoU 2 segment being compared, in favor of TLoU 2.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I hope the input lag is adequately low. Locking the framerate to 30 for TLOU: Remastered caused it to have a crazy amount of input lag... but maybe it was just that port of the game and not the engine? Haven't played Uncharted 4 so Idk how good that feels at 30 fps.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
1440p again? So, over 2x compute leads to ~70% more pixels. This is really strange and usually something associated with poor 3rd party ports. I wonder if the bandwidth is the limitation here?

It's not high resolution. It's on the lower boundary of PS4 Pro ports.
Naughty dog have said on the past they did an uncharted 4 patch that was 4kcb but it didn't look eat due to how their engines post process pipeline works so they scrapped it and went native 1440p which looked better.

This is the reason the uc4 Pro patch wasn't available at launch.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
My issue with 1440p is that God of War and H:ZD both ran at 4K CBR at an almost locked 30 FPS and looked absolutely astonishing. The image quality was superb.
Naughty dog have said on the past they did an uncharted 4 patch that was 4kcb but it didn't look eat due to how their engines post process pipeline works so they scrapped it and went native 1440p which looked better.

This is the reason the uc4 Pro patch wasn't available at launch.
Link?

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to prefer the kind of temporal injection used by Insomniac and Bluepoint, if possible. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy still look a little soft, in my opinion, and would definitely benefit from the sharp image you get through that technique.