• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A fresh chance to check out Naughty Dog's work on The last of Us 2 – served here with pristine quality assets. Based on this video footage, PS4 Pro is running at a native 2560x1440 and holding a solid 30fps – a positive sign ahead of its launch next year.

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

2560x1440p just like the last 2 Uncharted games.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finally, was wondering if they are gonna make a video, this is gonna be a good watch.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see unlike almost every other first party, ND are still opting not to use any kind of reconstruction or TAA based up-scaling.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So they didnt improve their engine for PS4 Pro to use checkerboard rendering? Thats disappointing.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'll play this on Pro at launch, and that's very impressive that it runs so well at such a high res on PS4, but I do hope it gets patched to 4K60+ for PS5, because I really want to see it running at those specs, and I'm not rebuying games this time.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1440p again? So, over 2x compute leads to ~70% more pixels. This is really strange and usually something associated with poor 3rd party ports. I wonder if the bandwidth is the limitation here?

Man, I'll play this on Pro at launch, and that's very impressive that it runs so well at such a high res on PS4, but I do hope it gets patched to 4K60+ for PS5, because I really want to see it running at those specs, and I'm not rebuying games this time.

It's not high resolution. It's on the lower boundary of PS4 Pro ports.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
game has great graphics so playing at 1440p is completely fine.

I am, however, looking forward to the inevitable ps5 60fps patch more so than any res bump

also hopefully this updated engine supports better HDR than their previous work.

seriously resolution is the least thing I'm concerned about here

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
1440p again? So, over 2x compute leads to ~70% more pixels. This is really strange and usually something associated with poor 3rd party ports. I wonder if the bandwidth is the limitation here?

It's not high resolution. It's on the lower boundary of PS4 Pro ports.

Still quite impressive, given how it looks and runs.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
We do not mention it, but there is something odd regarding the released official "captured on a PS4Pro" screenshots. 4K images but they definitely do not count out to 1440p - probably just a marketing blunder.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't played Lost Legacy but from the footage they've shown in this video TLoU II looks like such a huge leap, I think art style might play a big part.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So they didnt improve their engine for PS4 Pro to use checkerboard rendering? Thats disappointing.
I'm a resolution whore (hence I invested so much in a PC this year) but this is a stunning looking game. It's clear that instead of upping the resolution they focused that resource on improving everything else instead. Looks a good leap forward from Uncharted 4/TLL, especially shadow quality.

Will be able to enjoy the 4K experience on PS5. The question is whether I can resist the hype and simply wait to play this game in all its PS5 glory. Probably not.

Oct 27, 2017
The game was developed with base PS4 in mind. Probably more time and optimization to go for a higher res or checker boarding technique.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I wish they would do what Bluepoint did with Shadow of the Colossus that game looks clean as hell. Oh well.

Giz 76

Jul 9, 2019
We do not mention it, but there is something odd regarding the released official "captured on a PS4Pro" screenshots. 4K images but they definitely do not count out to 1440p - probably just a marketing blunder.

Maybe the 'Photo Mode' will be at a higher resolution, with better effects... Gives them a get out with the 'Captured on PS4 Pro' statement as well.

It's going to look amazing whatever the res :)

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It's better to have a stable and native 1440p than a dynamic 4K resolution which can be down to 1200p or even 1080p as soon as stuff is happening on screen. Sure it's less good for PR, but it's going to look better and more consistent overall.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I noticed that they looked unusually soft and blurry. They actually looked like 1080p resolution screens blown up to 4K.

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019

I'm pretty confident we'll see a PS5 port :)

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty confident we'll see a PS5 port :)

Me too, but I hope given the enhanced BC stuff that it'll just be a patch for people who own the PS4 version. I know it's lost revenue, but it'd certainly be one of the reasons I'd pick a PS5 over a Scalett at launch. I'll be honest, I'm certainly thinking of going with Xbox at launch this time, due to how excited I am for Halo Infinite. If I get free upgrades for the plethora of awesome looking PS4 games coming out in the last year of the system, I'll be thinking twice about that decision...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Man, that bitrate is insane! The details really do pop out when one is not trying to ascertain texture or image quality from YT videos.

It would be interesting to see whether ND will go for completely fixed/native resolution or whether they will have some form DR in the final game and in fact whether DR would be a consideration for their engines next generation with HW supported VRS.

Also Dictator - Sie haben recht insofar as the pronunciation of "Wolfenstein" is concerned. John and Tom can suck it :P

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
would Sony have the ps4 version plays on Ps5 with no enhancements just to launch a priced remaster? Because if there is the free enhancement patch like on the pro it would defect the need for a full remaster.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Flat 1440p res bump is super disappointing tbh even with such amazing visual. If the base system is 1080p 30 then it looks like they did minimal work to suppose the pro. Was hoping for temporal injection like ratchet at the very least which is supposed to be cheap to do. Or they can offer dynamic res up to 4k in less demanding situations or AMD RIS sharpening at the very least. Some body tweet the Druckman!