• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

"Showcased at X019, The Falconeer was one of the most interesting, beautiful games of the entire event - and it's all the creation of just one man with a unique vision. Rich presents a first look at a very original, distinctive game."

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like a current gen Crimson Skies / Panzer Dragoon. Looks great!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looked very cool from the first moment they showcased it. I had the chance to play it at X019, but with nobody to explain anything and "stuck" in the beginning of the game with many other games to try as well, I don't feel the game showcased its best features. The flying looks smooth but it didn't feel that good, and the opening area felt a bit aimless. Still, keeping my eye on it because it could be special. This video already shows a lot of things I didn't get to try and it indeed looks miles more interesting.

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
This game looked very cool from the first moment they showcased it. I had the chance to play it at X019, but with nobody to explain anything and "stuck" in the beginning of the game with many other games to try as well, I don't feel the game showcased its best features. The flying looks smooth but it didn't feel that good, and the opening area felt a bit aimless. Still, keeping my eye on it because it could be special. This video already shows a lot of things I didn't get to try and it indeed looks miles more interesting.

Aah yeh I wasn't there to show it the last few days.. It's now at a much more playable stage as slowly some of the more guided/linear mission content is coming in. Sandbox demo's are hardly ideal.

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019

would love to hear what didn't feel right about the flying. ;) any feedback is honestly very welcome. especially about controls and preferences, there are so many different control styles to accommodate. Also noticed some people really flying into everything, where-as others just picked it up and flew around gracefully. So finding specific issues that hamper people is top of my list .

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aah yeh I wasn't there to show it the last few days.. It's now at a much more playable stage as slowly some of the more guided/linear mission content is coming in. Sandbox demo's are hardly ideal.

Yeah, these showcases can be tricky without a dev around. Not long ago I had a situation with another indie I'll not mention where we could try out the game in a fairly advanced state apparently, but there was a big glitch preventing us from progressing, so we'd only just aimlessly wander around without any story beats triggering. Another game that was there had none of the controls work even after restarting the game, and again no dev was there. It can be a nightmare for sure, not the best way to leave a good impression surely. Luckily this wasn't the case here, game was perfectly functional, if anything it felt a bit aimless because I just skimmed the texts at the beginning, jumped into the tutorial and I wasn't really sure what I was doing and why.

would love to hear what didn't feel right about the flying. ;) any feedback is honestly very welcome. especially about controls and preferences, there are so many different control styles to accommodate. Also noticed some people really flying into everything, where-as others just picked it up and flew around gracefully. So finding specific issues that hamper people is top of my list .

Again, I only really played it for like 10-15 minutes so I can't say I can give you a good enough description, plus 2 months went by and I played a lot of games since. Having said that, flying was smooth enough but it felt a little bit off in terms of turning fast due to the momentum I needed to get used to. I don't recall crashing into anything, but the visual feedback was a little limited in terms of the objectives to follow so I'd get lost every now and then. I'd honestly love to help more but I had a very quick flight to London for a very packed 2 days, tried like a dozen different titles and ultimately I managed to reserve only a couple minutes to some games I would have loved to dive in for hours. I didn't even get around to try Grounded ultimately, glad a colleague of mine managed to squeeze in the time for it.

I still think this game has immense potential, and if you're ever planning to have a private or public beta, I'd be happy to try it out again in ideal conditions - a public event with people around and a clock to watch is far from ideal. I even work with websites that would be excited to talk about the game, the only reason we didn't make a preview for this game is because what I tried was too short and lacking context to fully judge, preferring to concentrate on titles where we had a chance to talk to devs as well. Still excited for the game! :)

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
Yeah, these showcases can be tricky without a dev around. Not long ago I had a situation with another indie I'll not mention where we could try out the game in a fairly advanced state apparently, but there was a big glitch preventing us from progressing, so we'd only just aimlessly wander around without any story beats triggering. Another game that was there had none of the controls work even after restarting the game, and again no dev was there. It can be a nightmare for sure, not the best way to leave a good impression surely. Luckily this wasn't the case here, game was perfectly functional, if anything it felt a bit aimless because I just skimmed the texts at the beginning, jumped into the tutorial and I wasn't really sure what I was doing and why.

Again, I only really played it for like 10-15 minutes so I can't say I can give you a good enough description, plus 2 months went by and I played a lot of games since. Having said that, flying was smooth enough but it felt a little bit off in terms of turning fast due to the momentum I needed to get used to. I don't recall crashing into anything, but the visual feedback was a little limited in terms of the objectives to follow so I'd get lost every now and then. I'd honestly love to help more but I had a very quick flight to London for a very packed 2 days, tried like a dozen different titles and ultimately I managed to reserve only a couple minutes to some games I would have loved to dive in for hours. I didn't even get around to try Grounded ultimately, glad a colleague of mine managed to squeeze in the time for it.

I still think this game has immense potential, and if you're ever planning to have a private or public beta, I'd be happy to try it out again in ideal conditions - a public event with people around and a clock to watch is far from ideal. I even work with websites that would be excited to talk about the game, the only reason we didn't make a preview for this game is because what I tried was too short and lacking context to fully judge, preferring to concentrate on titles where we had a chance to talk to devs as well. Still excited for the game! :)

Thank you so much, that's useful feedback.
Well the flight model is quite smooth, but there is one trick that isn't well explained in the tutorial and those are the acrobatics. In combat you can you use potential energy to do really rapid and sharp barrel turns. It's a bit like throwing the bird around to make near instant turns. ;)

With regards with the goals and such, that is all under development now,, to be honest I was glad I was able to rush in a number of tutorials.

At pax I'll both be there and there will be a number of sample missions that do very specific goals and much much much better.

well there's some things I'm sure you'll dig, much about the storytelling as well. well won't spoil ;)

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much, that's useful feedback.
Well the flight model is quite smooth, but there is one trick that isn't well explained in the tutorial and those are the acrobatics. In combat you can you use potential energy to do really rapid and sharp barrel turns. It's a bit like throwing the bird around to make near instant turns. ;)

With regards with the goals and such, that is all under development now,, to be honest I was glad I was able to rush in a number of tutorials.

At pax I'll both be there and there will be a number of sample missions that do very specific goals and much much much better.

well there's some things I'm sure you'll dig, much about the storytelling as well. well won't spoil ;)

PAX is gonna be a hard ask for me (I'm in Europe), but hopefully we'll cross paths somewhere eventually :)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Watched the video in its entirety now and at 60fps. My goodness it's absolutely beautiful. A perfect example of where less is more. The atmosphere is off the charts, and the use of colour and lighting is incredible. Really can't wait to sink in to this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really nice. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Super impressive for a one man show! Great job... I get the feels of open world panzer dragoon?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What little I played at XO19 reminded me so much of Panzer Dragoon, so I knew I would play it more on release. Really amazing to watch at 60.