• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

PS5 visual settings are worse than PS4 Pro
PS5 has a more consistent framerate.
XSX loads faster but weirdly almost 3 times faster than PS5 (Backwards compatibility could be the issue)
XSS : Dynamic 1080p
XSX : Dynamic 2160p
PS5 : Dynamic 1890p

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was hoping they'd take a look at Nioh 2's PC version.
They did PS4 and PS5 but not PC for some reason.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
It's great to see devs bring 60 fps updates to current gen systems. Clear indications of a bug on the PS5, hopefully Massive can patch that to get it on par visually with PS4 Pro.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Some of it is bugs but some of it is also a limitation of PS5's backwards compatibility. I don't think devs can utilize the hardware for previous gen titles as easily as Series S and X. They would have to make native next gen versions of games to better leverage the hardware.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's BC solution that is clearly very inferior compared to what Microsoft does + bugs would be my guess.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
No volumetrics or SSR, and the resolution drops all the way to 1080p on PS5 (lowest is 1800p on XSX). Weird. How do you even ship this. Also the black crush is a big nope.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Some of it is bugs but some of it is also a limitation of PS5's backwards compatibility. I don't think devs can utilize the hardware for previous gen titles as easily as Series S and X. They would have to make native next gen versions of games to better leverage the hardware.

Oh what you are saying is correct, the xbox series BC allows devs to do more with last gen titles. We've seen quite a few examples already.

However, I havent seen many if any ps5 BC having *worse* visuals then ps4 or pro. Definitely looking like some bugs with this one.

This patch is effectively a fps unlock. There has been 3 to 4 per games I can think of that has had the same treatment and the settings on ps5 did not get any worse.

Hope this gets fixed. Playing through this game currently.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
That is some weird shit going on with the PS5 version. I have not played this game in 9-months and right now there is no going back for me.

But now I see the base game is on sale on the Microsoft store and has a free trial. Maybe ... might have to check out the differences myself.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of issues that'll surely be addressed by Ubi, but it's odd that they'd release it in the state it's in.

XSX/SX versions seem to be great though.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Division 2 is still BC so it will load slower than XS. It would be nice if BC could tap into the PS5 more.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
div201vpkcv.png

Looks like two completely different builds at times. No volumetric fog along with other things on PS5. I could see a reflection bug maybe, but there's tons of volumetric fog in this game, and it simply doesn't exist on the PS5.

div202bjknr.png

div0303jxf.png

Black Crush and Volumetric lighting missing in background.
div04vpj6n.png

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not to mention the loading is a full 16 seconds slower. It should be very clear by now that working within the confines of BC mode on PS5 is a nightmare.
I mean maybe not. BC modes on previous gens wouldnt even get performance boosts even if you tried to patch it. Its not that Sonys BC is super bad, MS just made one so good it feels like it.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
XSX loads faster but weirdly almost 3 times faster than PS5

Even if it's in BC mode there should not be that big of a difference. It has to be a bug or MS's SSD is really some next level tech. Since recently it seems to be consistently out doing the PS5.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely bugs on the PS5 side. The lack of volumetric lighting seems like the biggie considering how much of a key feature of TD2 that is. Rooms and areas filled with light shafts and fog on the PS4/Xbox just totally missing on PS5. Like, that's not intentional/a limit of the system.

Hope they've got a patch in the works and, if not, hope the DF vid gives them some pointers!

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Bunch of issues that'll surely be addressed by Ubi, but it's odd that they'd release it in the state it's in.

XSX/SX versions seem to be great though.
Makes you wonder if they were running into problems locking to 60 and hastily cut out visual effects to get there. I'm guessing it's less of a bug like other people are stating and more of a conscious decision while they continue to work on bringing everything up to par for the PS5.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Makes you wonder if they were running into problems locking to 60 and hastily cut out visual effects to get there. I'm guessing it's less of a bug like other people are stating and more of a conscious decision while they continue to work on bringing everything up to par for the PS5.
Nah doesn't make much sense, considering the Pro is running the game with all the effects. A more than twice as powerful GPU should do the trick, even though it's not using the RDNA2 architecture enhancements.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I mean maybe not. BC modes on previous gens wouldnt even get performance boosts even if you tried to patch it. Its not that Sonys BC is super bad, MS just made one so good it feels like it.
You can only compare it to the competition. It sucks especially when updating games. Hopefully Sony is working to make it better rather than waiting for PS5 native to become the default.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, how bizarre to put PS5 out in that state, it's not like it's hard to notice in testing. It's hard to even consider the rest of the comparison at face value, when the PS5 version is so compromised.

XSX version does seem rock solid, so that's good to know at least.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the PS5 version needs work. Still, the boost to 60fps is the biggest thing this patch offers so at least it delivers there.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Nah doesn't make much sense, considering the Pro is running the game with all the effects. A more than twice as powerful GPU should do the trick, even though it's not using the RDNA2 architecture enhancements.
But we all know it's not as simple as having good specs. If the tools and parameters devs are forced to work within suck then there's not much you can do. I would assume there might have been a few bespoke things devs relied on for the PS4 that don't translate to PS5. You can bet your ass that Ubi was aware of the missing effects before launching the patch.

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
Fired this game back up on the series X and wow, it feels like a whole new game running at 60fps. Looks amazing and runs really well—I may let myself get sucked back into it.

All these 60fps updates really make me wonder how I put up with 30fps on so many games for so long, it almost seems unplayable going back to it

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The easiest console to develop and Ubisoft can fkup a simple patch... Good Job
Doesn't seem to be the case when talking about BC. Some developers already gone on record that there are constrains like not being able to add a 120FPS mode.

And as always, what's easy to develop for depends on the person and is subjective. So we don't know for a fact, which console is easier to develop for. We just know more of those, who choose to talk about this topic aka 0,5% of the console developers, thought the PS5 is easier to develop for. But they were talking about native ports and not BC solution.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Have they said if we will be getting native versions of the games or this is it?

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Correct. Though BC games on the SSD still take a while to load, playing Miles Morales really shows what the SSD can do when properly used.
This needs to stop. Like it is awesome how fast it loads but it's also important to note that Spider-Man only took 8 seconds to load on last gen. We will still have loading on both first and third party games in the PS5.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding PS5's blackcrush... I almost wonder if it is specific to 4K as it hasn't been an issue on my 1080p. It's also not (just) HDR, as DF normally doesn't capture with HDR on.

Someone can see what happens to a 4K tv when forcing 1080p output, with a title that is know to exhibit black crush?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Remember when the 120 fps mode for Dirt 5 looked like shit on the XSX? Fanboys were hoping it would be a problem with the console while reasonable people knew it was a bug (that eventually got fixed). This is the same just reversed and it seems like Era has learned absolutely nothing from that last incident...

That being said, the BC constraints on the PS5 are unfortunate but as the year continues we'll see less and less PS4 games getting PS5 patches as we'll see more native PS5 games so even if this is an issue, it'll fix itself in a few months.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Regarding PS5's blackcrush... I almost wonder if it is specific to 4K as it hasn't been an issue on my 1080p. It's also not (just) HDR, as DF normally doesn't capture with HDR on.

Someone can see what happens to a 4K tv when forcing 1080p output, with a title that is know to exhibit black crush?
You should check Control to validate that theory.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the 120 fps mode for Dirt 5 looked like shit on the XSX? Fanboys were hoping it would be a problem with the console while reasonable people knew it was a bug (that eventually got fixed). This is the same just reversed and it seems like Era has learned absolutely nothing from that last incident...
I feel like 95% of the people ITT are acknowledging it's a bug

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
They should have delayed the release of the PS5 update and just released the Series X update for now. There's really no excuse for releasing it in this state